WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for our first RV

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Ok so talked to Stacy for awhile tonight..

We want a Class A or Super C.

Must haves (not an option) :
Bunk House model
Bunk over the cab (retractable or super C)
Must tow 8k
Bath and a half (min) or two bath
Outside entertainment

preferred :
Outside kitchen

We are going to travel most of the summer next year and rent our house out, so we will up the budget if necessary to 150’ish.

What’s out there that fits that criteria?
We will likely sell it after this winter and our summer adventure so resale would be something I consider.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The msrp is $176k and it's already discounted to $126k. You really think you will get down another $26k? If so, I will by one as well!!

I’d bet 110 takes it

fmo24

Reaction score
Check out sport coaches. They are diesel pusher and have some pretty creative floor plans for family use. A super c will most likely fit your bill

Icky

Reaction score
Ford V10 about 19,400 miles 4 slides Brand new TOYO M154 tires. 7k generator. Come see it at space 39 at Pirates Den. Still have to use it for 2 weekends. 91,900.00 obo
Does your neighbor at pirates have a dump trump flag or something like that??

Singleton

Reaction score

Bunk House model
Must tow 8k
Outside entertainment

preferred :
Outside kitchen

We are going to travel most of the summer next year and rent our house out, so we will up the budget if necessary to 150’ish.

We will likely sell it after this winter and our summer adventure so resale would be something I consider.

2 baths will be hard.
I would go shower and toilet separate from sink. Makes it easier when 1 person can shower or shit and the sink is still open. A 2012+ Seneca should fit.

maybe add 2 AC’s

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I am talking to all my friends and virtually all of them are pulling similar loads with v10’s. They say you aren’t gonna win any races, but they are similar to me.. sometimes towing the dirt toys, but most the time not?

For 100k which is about what I think this would sell for this thing is flat bad ass.. it checks all my boxes except the outside kitchen (which I like)

The rest is over the topbad Ass though. I can bring a cooler. :D.

horribley under powered, anything with a v-10 over 30'... go to a pusher...it probley weighs loaded 20k... that leaves 4k to tow.... even with out towing it'll be a slug up hills... and it will never cool much under 90 in the havasu heat,...soon a s you stop and trun the dash air of, you're done and you should be able to buy it around 106k to 108

zhandfull

Reaction score
Just for a different perspective, here is my 2003 Fleetwood Bounder with 107,000 miles. Bought it 2 years ago for $12,000.
No slides but still sleeps 4 adults easily
64982D2C-8F1E-4E18-B8AE-A8211AD99AAA.jpeg
43C5CD17-0FE6-4930-80A2-F16EED1F29F7.jpeg
with 5k tow rating. We take this thing out about once a month. Great investment in my opinion.

Scrap the high tow rating and buy a mid 2000 gas model and just go out and make some memories on a budget. At least till you really decide what you need or want.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
If your going to flip it, i recommend buying used...and sorted out. A new coach is going to need some attention plus you wont take as big of a depreciation hit.

Ive owned several new RVs and used ones, the new ones had more little issues to work out.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
I!l sell my 2104 fifth wheel for $139,999. Way under your budget☺

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score

RDP translation...Stacy will spend 500k on a motorhome. Lol 😂

Singleton

Reaction score

RDP translation...Stacy will spend 500k on a motorhome. Lol 😂

RD will spend 500k, Stacy sets the budget

just_floatin

Reaction score
No door between the master abd the bunks? Or just not in the video?

will that pull the kind of weight I have? And what does something like that go for?
Yes has two dividing doors. One in the rear master and one in between the bunks and master. Like a small 3 bedroom RV. Runs right about 89K new in 2018. Mine is a 31’. Ford F450 chassis Bilsteins all the way around, auto hydraulic levelers and rated at 10k towing capacity. I tow a 1998 Jeep TJ, Honda Fit or my 20’ UTV flatbed trailer. Under 10k miles.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
RD will spend 500k, Stacy sets the budget

you got that backwards I was rooting for a $20,000 weekend warrior.. Or like a 50k gasser lol. Stacy wants the pimp shit...

strangely we are actually looking at that tag axle toter home now lol

Singleton

Reaction score
you got that backwards I was rooting for a $20,000 weekend warrior.. Or like a 50k gasser lol. Stacy wants the pimp shit...

strangely we are actually looking at that tag axle toter home now lol

one thing to remember. 36’ is the number for most state and federal parks.
RV spots get hard to find once over that number in federal parks

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Or stop and make dinner etc.. there’s a ton of downsides to this program. The only upside is they are 1/5 the price
You'd be really surprised how little that will ever happen. It's going to be very difficult to use the kitchen with the slide pulled in. Shit, some you can't even get down the hallway with it in. Then, do not pull it out without making sure the coach is 100% level. If it's not, there's a chance you can rack the slide and bind it up.
We use to roll in a small camper on a single cab ford 250, only luxury was a sliding window that let you get access to mom and a sip off dads beer. Rode thousands of miles on the bed above cab. Best trip ever 16 Years old 1000 mile ride to Idaho with only my girlfriend in the camper with me, layed more pipe than a union plumber!
Same here. Ours was a '77 Dolphin on a '77 F-250 supercab. A slide in camper will always have a soft spot in my heart. If I didn't have 4 kids, I'd be trying really hard to make a dually with the biggest camper possible a reality.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
one thing to remember. 36’ is the number for most state and federal parks.
RV spots get hard to find once over that number in federal parks

This is important if you want to save a lot by going to the state and fed parks. We have a 40' 5th wheel and are limited on where we could get a spot.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I would strongly suggest it Dave. I think you are over estimating the amount of time unloading and loading take once you get it all sorted out and know how to get it all done. When my brothers and I were all still living at home we could load and unload the toy hauler with all 5 of our dirt bikes, gear, tools, rack (keep the bikes off the walls that way) and have it completely set-up within about 30 minutes. And if it turns out to not be something that works for you guys, you can sell it and even if the market falls out you still aren't out all that much.

Im going to throw my 2 cents in because i camp almost every other weekend..........my friends absolutely HATE seeing me pack in and HATE me more seeing me pack out. We dont have kids over the age of 6 so most of the work is done by us, the parents. They take at least 30-45 minutes from start to finish whereas it only takes me 5-10 min tops.

Me: arrive, crack open a beer while leveling out from the drivers seat (LevelMatePRO FTW), bring out the slides, pull out a folding table and coolers from the bays, unstrap the Jeep and my daughters 50, done. If I need anything additional, it’s get pulled from the bays as needed.

My friends in their WW: arrive, get out of truck, chock tires/level manually, disconnect truck. Pull toys out (RZR, CRF450 and 50), pull trash cans/bbq/chairs/deck/rug/gear/cooler/table/everything (remember no real bay storage), pull down the rear bunk bed, setup and organize the bench/captains chairs).

Wash rinse repeat packing out. The only difference here is they have to completely blow out their stuff with a leaf blower before loading everything back in.

And that’s on a good sunny weekend. Ever been out camping or riding when it’s raining? Lol

Last edited:

Revndave

Reaction score
horribley under powered, anything with a v-10 over 30'... go to a pusher...it probley weighs loaded 20k... that leaves 4k to tow.... even with out towing it'll be a slug up hills... and it will never cool much under 90 in the havasu heat,...soon a s you stop and trun the dash air of, you're done and you should be able to buy it around 106k to 108
My 2013 Tiffin with a V10 runs great. Newer ones like mine have a better transmission and extra gear. 2800 rpm and I'm cruising at 75mph. Tiffins are heavy because of how they're built. The only reason for a diesel pusher I think is if you want to tow 10k lbs

TeamGreene

Reaction score

HB2Havasu

Reaction score

Bunk House model
Must tow 8k
Outside entertainment

preferred :
Outside kitchen

If you're not planning on using it until Summer 2021 I would keep your eyes peeled around town over the winter. A lot of snowbirds put their shit up for sale around January/February so they don't have to drive it back to Minnesota/Wisconsin/Canada, etc.... You can score some great deals if you're prudent!

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Im going to throw my 2 cents in because i camp almost every other weekend..........my friends absolutely HATE seeing me pack in and HATE me more seeing me pack out. We dont have kids over the age of 6 so most of the work is done by us, the parents. They take at least 30-45 minutes from start to finish whereas it only takes me 5-10 min tops.

Me: arrive, crack open a beer while leveling out from the drivers seat (LevelMatePRO FTW), bring out the slides, pull out a folding table and coolers from the bays, unstrap the Jeep and my daughters 50, done. If I need anything additional, it’s get pulled from the bays as needed.

My friends in their WW: arrive, get out of truck, chock tires/level manually, disconnect truck. Pull toys out (RZR, CRF450 and 50), pull trash cans/bbq/chairs/deck/rug/gear/cooler/table/everything (remember no real bay storage), pull down the rear bunk bed, setup and organize the bench/captains chairs).

Wash rinse repeat packing out. The only difference here is they have to completely blow out their stuff with a leaf blower before loading everything back in.

And that’s on a good sunny weekend. Ever been out camping or riding when it’s raining? Lol
that as soon as there are beds they head for them, where as your kids slep on the way,

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
If you're not planning on using it until Summer 2021 I would keep your eyes peeled around town over the winter. A lot of snowbirds put their shit up for sale around January/February so they don't have to drive it back to Minnesota/Wisconsin/Canada, etc.... You can score some great deals if you're prudent!
I always say this, know the market before you by, I buy stuff sometimes just cause it's a smoke'n deal...and that can be at any time...

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

Many times. The 5th wheel Ragen' we had had a huge storage bay right behind the generator that we kept all the tables, chairs, rug, etc. The only things that went inside the trailer were the bikes and gear. Gas cans and wood went in the truck bed around the 5th wheel. Leveling did take a little bit longer than the auto levelers when done by yourself. Once we got old enough we could be leveled with stabilizers down within about 10 minutes (assuming my dad didn't get stuck when he still had the 2wd). Then the bikes and gear would all be out within 20 mins of that being done. Cars would be even faster as you are only unloading one or 2. Not 5. And then, for those that dont tow a jeep or a street legal vehicle, when you brake something and need a part, so your weekend isn't ruined, you can take the truck into town to get it. Can't do so with a motorhome without completely breaking down camp.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
How come nobody has mentioned motor homes often don’t have much fresh water capacity? Especially Class C.
I think Super C are another story though.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Yes. She hasnt been there all month.

My brother in law camps next to her most of the summer and she works at the store. She’s actually a really nice lady have had many drinks with her and never talk politics just life. My family typically camps second row and she lets us use her beach Kayak and mooring.

Back on topic I’d go super C we currently have a gulfstream class c with the 450 chassis and v10. We typically use it once a month and tow half the time around 5k and it does fine. I love watching all the lifted Truck 5th wheel guys chime in just as much as I love watching them try to park in some of the state beaches and unload all their shit at glamis!

we camp a few places where we like to drive into town we just pull the slides in and unplug and cruise the town the back in a put the slides out and plug back in no need for a extra car or truck.

RCDave

Reaction score
How come nobody has mentioned motor homes often don’t have much fresh water capacity? Especially Class C.

Most class A's hold 100+ gallons. At least the real DP's! mine hold 100 gallons fresh, 70 gallons grey, 50 gallons black. And a 150 gallon fuel tank!

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
My 2013 Tiffin with a V10 runs great. Newer ones like mine have a better transmission and extra gear. 2800 rpm and I'm cruising at 75mph. Tiffins are heavy because of how they're built. The only reason for a diesel pusher I think is if you want to tow 10k lbs
No fuc'n way, I had the same rv, they won't tow a trailer!!!!

this is what it looks like going down the road after rolling across the scales @ 26,000 lbs...

Last edited:

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

a few things to notice, the grade is between 6 & 7%.....also notice how much faster the alegro with the 3 valve is than the 2 valve class c... there about 60 hp differance in the motors, and the alegro is about 7k lbs heaver...
another thing about the 3 valve, never pull hills in cruise control,a loss of about 10% of power or more,...in cruise, the fuel system manage ment doesn't enrichen to make more power and stays in econo mode,.... learned that with a ford tech on the freeway while he waas hooked to the lap top monitoring

thats where 5 star tune comes in and makes a noticable differance... I go up the same grade 10 mph faster and in the next higher gear.... in cruise it will drop to 3rd and scream up the hill slower

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Just for a different perspective, here is my 2003 Fleetwood Bounder with 107,000 miles. Bought it 2 years ago for $12,000.
No slides but still sleeps 4 adults easily View attachment 925051 View attachment 925052 with 5k tow rating. We take this thing out about once a month. Great investment in my opinion.

Scrap the high tow rating and buy a mid 2000 gas model and just go out and make some memories on a budget. At least till you really decide what you need or want.

This X1000.

Meaney77

Reaction score

Agree, my MH holds 100 gallons of fresh but with 3 kids and a wife that dont always understand the concept of taking a short shower and turning the water off when washing hands and brushing teeth we seem to burn through it. I am the water natzi because it will be me bitching and complaining when I dont have water during the middle of a shower. I added an extra 100 gallons of fresh water in my enclosed and transfer when needed.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
My brother in law camps next to her most of the summer and she works at the store. She’s actually a really nice lady have had many drinks with her and never talk politics just life. My family typically camps second row and she lets us use her beach Kayak and mooring.

Back on topic I’d go super C we currently have a gulfstream class c with the 450 chassis and v10. We typically use it once a month and tow half the time around 5k and it does fine. I love watching all the lifted Truck 5th wheel guys chime in just as much as I love watching them try to park in some of the state beaches and unload all their shit at glamis!

we camp a few places where we like to drive into town we just pull the slides in and unplug and cruise the town the back in a put the slides out and plug back in no need for a extra car or truck.
how is a super "C" with a E ford van chassis,????

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

What do you have? I remember it being in my budget

RCDave

Reaction score
Agree, my MH holds 100 gallons of fresh but with 3 kids and a wife that dont always understand the concept of taking a short shower and turning the water off when washing hands and brushing teeth we seem to burn through it. I am the water natzi because it will be me bitching and complaining when I dont have water during the middle of a shower. I added an extra 100 gallons of fresh water in my enclosed and transfer when needed.

I got my point across to the wifey after bitching about it for a while. I turned off the water pump while she was mid-shower. lol. This action appeared to help!

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
This X1000.
I had a bounder like that one...seems like it was a 2 valve v10 with a 4 speed, also thats the one thats a bugger to get the spark plug out... if ever at mike thompsons rv,... I wanted the work horse... we couldn't put the deal together.... cory says, just buy the fuc'n thing, you'll be back in a month to trade it in...
on my ford, I had just did the full banks with the outto mind fuel management....I said, I don't wanna buy a coach thats slower,... he said if it's faster you gonna write the check??? hey yeah, but, it's not gonna out run the ford!!!!

soooooo... we took both coach out to the stop light side by side, I had said, if the ford out runs it... I'm headed back to vegas...

so, lined up , i watched the opisite light turn yellow, started power braking,...light turns green... bammm got the southwind 8.1 by about 2 length's. by secound.. now i'm ahead by 4....thinking good thing I didn't buy it,... but. as we continued, the front of the 8.1 is getting bigger, by 3rd we where mirror to mirror.. soon after, he was so far ahead that you couldn't see the big american flag on the rear... he was back ,parked and out of the rv with a big ass grin when i pulled in all he said was ... lets go write the check......

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I had a bounder like that one...seems like it was a 2 valve v10 with a 4 speed, also thats the one thats a bugger to get the spark plug out... if ever at mike thompsons rv,... I wanted the work horse... we couldn't put the deal together.... cory says, just buy the fuc'n thing, you'll be back in a month to trade it in...
on my ford, I had just did the full banks with the outto mind fuel management....I said, I don't wanna buy a coach thats slower,... he said if it's faster you gonna write the check??? hey yeah, but, it's not gonna out run the ford!!!!

soooooo... we took both coach out to the stop light side by side, I had said, if the ford out runs it... I'm headed back to vegas...

so, lined up , i watched the opisite light turn yellow, started power braking,...light turns green... bammm got the southwind 8.1 by about 2 length's. by secound.. now i'm ahead by 4....thinking good thing I didn't buy it,... but. as we continued, the front of the 8.1 is getting bigger, by 3rd we where mirror to mirror.. soon after, he was so far ahead that you couldn't see the big american flag on the rear... he was back ,parked and out of the rv with a big ass grin when i pulled in all he said was ... lets go write the check......

No worries.. that is the V10 model that shoots the spark plugs out for you :) Most of RD's camping will be down the street from his house. He can hook a tow rope to it and use his F350 to drag the RV to the campsite.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Find yourself one of these Dave and have both worlds. This thing would work great for me and my brood of minions.....

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Find yourself one of these Dave and have both worlds. This thing would work great for me and my brood of minions.....

IMO that is worst of both worlds, you have the higher maintenance costs and upkeep due to having an extra drivetrain, plus you have to deal with the issues of having to unload your gear in order to sleep.

Wife an I got real close to pulling the trigger on an older fun mover when all we had were the dirt bikes, with the way the toys grew and the family starting to grow in the next couple years I'm glad we didnt

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
IMO that is worst of both worlds, you have the higher maintenance costs and upkeep due to having an extra drivetrain, plus you have to deal with the issues of having to unload your gear in order to sleep.

Wife an I got real close to pulling the trigger on an older fun mover when all we had were the dirt bikes, with the way the toys grew and the family starting to grow in the next couple years I'm glad we didnt
But you dont really HAVE to pull all you stuff out if you dont NEED the garage beds. You still have 3 other beds as well. Also you have the kitchen and bathroom accessible without unloading and unlike the old fun movers, these have big ol slides that really open up the living space (at lest it seems like it. I have never been inside one).

fmo24

Reaction score
But you dont really HAVE to pull all you stuff out if you dont NEED the garage beds. You still have 3 other beds as well. Also you have the kitchen and bathroom accessible without unloading and unlike the old fun movers, these have big ol slides that really open up the living space (at lest it seems like it. I have never been inside one).
They would be cramped for a family of five. Garage is not big either. Maybe quads or bikes but never a sxs. No bedroom and really just a loft for sleeping

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

For sure. If money was no object I would have Showhauler build me a coach with a mid-bedroom and a big enough garage for my XX. that way I can throw the bikes on a hitch hauler, have the XX in the garage and not worry about going 55 in CA.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

You and your family just die of gas fumes while your toys sit in the living room all night :)