WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for our first RV

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
What make and model is this 2FF?
its a fleetwood pace arrow 33' 6.7 diesel, kinda wish I would have kept it, I did a lot of mods and end result it was bad ass, I re did all the ac ducts and returns and got it where it would cool no matter what...during the super hot havasu days, we would just shut the bed room door and have both ac's blowing up front, we'd also keep the bath room door close with the vent barely open,..if you went in there to smell up the coach , turn the roof vent on and the fresh cool air came under the door...as far as towing, the 6.7 does the job, 6% grade you just slow to 50 and drop a gear, rest of the time it stayed in 6th...the DEF was a major pain if your not used to it, but it did have a gauge on the dash,...again, it was one of those coaches where you shopped and fueled where the parking and getting in and out was easy.....

one time, we parked wayout to the far end of the lot..we had to park across about 8 or 9 spaces. no one out there and the lot was pretty much empty, there was a space in front, and then the curb... I was pulled right to the line,... we come out from the store, and someone parked right in front to block us from pulling out, wife was inside putting stuff away, so I grabbed a folding chair and a soda and sat and waited.......it was an older honda sedan, sooo. here comes this crotchity old fuck, no others around so I figure must be his,,, as he gets closer... I say is this your fuc'n car....he says, yeah whats it to you, I said I'm gonna buy it? he says not for sale, I say oh yes it is,.....cause i'm gonna ram it in to that tree, pretty sure it gonna get totaled ... and I got the money in my front pocket and insurance...so he calls the cops.... I set there in the chair... cops come,... one comes up to me, whats going on,.. I say, looks like we are camping here for a bit, that old blocked us in and won't move, so we are waiting it out.....

they chew'd his ass pretty good, when he left he slammed the door so hard I though he broke the mirror....

I found this to be true, no one likes you at the boat ramp, or parking lots, they don't try to make room they try to block you in, they see you pulling in the fuel lane and pull right in front to block yu from getting the pump, same thing with driveing, put on your signal and they speed up to block you in....

RodnJen

Reaction score
I found this to be true, no one likes you at the boat ramp, or parking lots, they don't try to make room they try to block you in, they see you pulling in the fuel lane and pull right in front to block you from getting the pump, same thing with driving, put on your signal and they speed up to block you in....

Sounds like Love's at 95 and I40.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Whatever you don’t do this Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thats exzact what I though would happen with that big over head bed, and why I wanna take it out... when the lady drove the fr3 from cal to us in vegas, the passenger side track broke and was sitting on the passenger seat top.. theres a little safety gate slide bolt , but when the front broke it just pulled out, I sent the coach back, cut 2 2x4's a little long , got the bed back up, and jammed them in so she could drive it back

Reaction score
is that place a zoo or what??? I always see little cars at the rv pumps when there is still car spots...

How about rest stops. Trucks Rv's one side, car's the other side. a rest stop on the 97 oregon everytime, And I mean everytime I pull in a car is parked in the Truck RV side. sooner or later a trucker who is having a bad day may make a clueless drivers day bad....

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
that was back when rv'n was fun....we did the same with the 92 south wind 32v, that 454 hauled the mail and was king of the with the over drive...it was the injected model , pulled our 24 box loaded the same way, rail quads and dirt bike....

things didn't get weird till we bought our first ford v-10 with the straight axel front.. horrible differance... my son has a 93 flair right now, pulls a 24 ft boxI was following him pulling my trailer empty.. we went from eastern on ramp to ann rd... as we were getting on the ramp he was pulling away from me...once out on the freeway I couldnot catch him...that 454 was a good set up

I think the fords would be nicer if you could pull out of 6th and hold in 5th when towing with up and down small grades...so some time when running 60 mph I just hold it down to 4th seems to labor a lot less,

The only real regret about that old Southwind was the carb. Wished I had waited for an EFI rig, but I didn't. About halfway through our ownership of it I started feeling like it just wasn't running the way it used to. Pulled the doghouse off and looked for a bit and found one of the vacuum lines cooked. That thing had more vacuum hoses than any machine I have ever owned.
Thought about it for a few, and went down to the NAPA store and bought 3 50 ft rolls of various size vacuum hose, and started changing them out, one at a time. I even changed all of the charcoal canister lines. Took me 3 days. Re routed them so it didn't look like someone just dropped a tangle of hose on the engine, was a lot of boring work.
But, it helped. It ran a ton smoother and acceleration improved too.
No change in MPG LOL.
Those feedback Q-Jets were finicky and a pain in the ass.

cuz_im_CR

Reaction score
IMG_1770.jpg

I had a 32’ super C with a duramax. I would stay away from them. There is absolutely zero storage space inside and very minimal outside. Wife always complained about no place to put cookware or extra bedding.

It towed 8k pretty good. 45 mph up cajon pass. I just sold mine 2 months ago for 50k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Appreciate the input on the duramax’s we were looking at them..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So after kinda scouring the internet and figuring out what I think would work best for us without completely blowing the budget I think we like the Thor Challenger 37 TB.

has the bunks, drop down bed, bath and a half, it’s on the bigger chassis so should tow my enclosed and my Hallett.. nice inside and out and have the outside entertainment (I think I’d prefer the outside kitchen, but you can’t have everything)

they seem to be priced reasonably for one that is a year old they are 119-130k.. (gasser)

Is there anything else out there that checks all those boxes that we should be looking at?

BajaMike

Reaction score
My feeling is don’t get the biggest coach you can afford, get the smallest one you can live with. Driving around a 35 to 40 foot coach with a big trailer is like taking a job as a Greyhound bus driver.....its a full time job.

Coaches with a huge overhang (distance from rear axle to hitch) are a nightmare at most gas stations and most driveways.
Managing a big coach and trailer and toys can be exhausting. Lots of systems and stuff to go wrong.

Singleton

Reaction score
So after kinda scouring the internet and figuring out what I think would work best for us without completely blowing the budget I think we like the Thor Challenger 37 TB.

has the bunks, drop down bed, bath and a half, it’s on the bigger chassis so should tow my enclosed and my Hallett.. nice inside and out and have the outside entertainment (I think I’d prefer the outside kitchen, but you can’t have everything)

they seem to be priced reasonably for one that is a year old they are 119-130k.. (gasser)

Is there anything else out there that checks all those boxes that we should be looking at?

all the folks I know that have outdoor kitchens never use them, so not sure you need that.
a good BBQ, portable flattop grill and an induction burner covers everything we cook and we set those up on a fold up table outside and we are good to do

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
My feeling is don’t get the biggest coach you can afford, get the smallest one you can live with. Driving around a 35 to 40 foot coach with a big trailer is like taking a job as a Greyhound bus driver.....its a full time job.

Coaches with a huge overhang (distance from rear axle to hitch) are a nightmare at most gas stations and most driveways.
Managing a big coach and trailer and toys can be exhausting. Lots of systems and stuff to go wrong.

I am going to end up living in this thing for 2-3 months while we are doing somethings to our house. I think I’d rather go with the biggest and maybe sell it later if we don’t like driving it.. lol

BajaMike

Reaction score
I am going to end up living in this thing for 2-3 months while we are doing somethings to our house. I think I’d rather go with the biggest and maybe sell it later if we don’t like driving it.. lol

I get that! Bigger is better if you are living in it for a while. I was thinking about getting another one. I’m retired, no little kids, we are selling our San Clemente beach house, and I have friends in Tahoe, Texas, Louisiana, and Alabama I want to visit.

We decided we will fly first class, and jungle up with our friends or stay at a nearby resort. Probably cheaper but not the same adventure. Good luck Dave!

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
That challenger is pimp.

If your gonna live in it you need that residential refrigerator

Those class A’s have a lot of ground clearance. I rarely scape the ground unless it is some fucked up driveway. And I have 19.5 so it will be better with 22’s.

With a longer hitch I can also turn very sharp. you will be surprised with that 50 degree cut of the front wheels

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That challenger is pimp.

If your gonna live in it you need that residential refrigerator

Those class A’s have a lot of ground clearance. I rarely scape the ground unless it is some fucked up driveway. And I have 19.5 so it will be better with 22’s.

With a longer hitch I can also turn very sharp. you will be surprised with that 50 degree cut of the front wheels

only thing I’m not sure of is if you can add a washer and dryer?

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
only thing I’m not sure of is if you can add a washer and dryer?

You dont want a washer and dryer. Theyre made to handle a retired family of 2 load not 5. Whomever does the laundry will literally spend every waking moment doing it. Opt for the residential fridge if you can.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You dont want a washer and dryer. Theyre made to handle a retired family of 2 load not 5. Whomever does the laundry will literally spend every waking moment doing it. Opt for the residential fridge if you can.

what do you do when you are travelling for 2 weeks? Just bring enough clothes for the whole trip?

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
what do you do when you are travelling for 2 weeks? Just bring enough clothes for the whole trip?

If you’re boondocking, yes. You’ll go through all of your water in a heartbeat.
If you’re staying at a campground, most will have coin operated laundry facilities you can use on-site. Download an rv based app like “RV Parky” that lets you filter out campgrounds based off certain amenities.

B8F9FBA7-AD4B-4F04-B818-B67E83E53087.png

BC6A931A-7FD5-4B17-AE7F-4528A4319106.png

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
My 2013 Tiffin with a V10 runs great. Newer ones like mine have a better transmission and extra gear. 2800 rpm and I'm cruising at 75mph. Tiffins are heavy because of how they're built. The only reason for a diesel pusher I think is if you want to tow 10k lbs

does yours have the cab over bunk? I’d like to check it out

Revndave

Reaction score
No cab over bunk. We will be at Pirates Den this weekend space 39 on front row. I will buy you a beer. LOL

Last edited:

fmo24

Reaction score
Im thinkin im gonna struggle with a class A and a 24’ enclosed getting into the laundry mat
Depending on what you plan on doing and staying most campgrounds have laundry. A lot have gone to either tokens or credit card readers.
In our washer I can do about 4 pairs of shorts and maybe a couple of t shirts per load. But as stated the water used and grey tank will fill quickly

Singleton

Reaction score
Im thinkin im gonna struggle with a class A and a 24’ enclosed getting into the laundry mat

you find ways to make it work. I am 22’ truck and 35’ trailer and have never had an issue finding a place to park. You just have to plan you approach. And you will quickly realize Wally World parking lots are RV friendly vs smaller locations.

RV washers eat your fresh water. Stay at a campground that has what you need or hit the laundry mat.
Before we switched to a ToyHauler I wanted washer/dryer, my in-laws flat out said they are useless. The area makes for better storage.

snowboat

Reaction score
I lived in a 40 foot four seasons RV, in Wyoming, for a couple of years between houses. A family of five would overrun a washer and dryer because of the extra clothes one has to wear in cold climates.. If camping where it's warm it will beat a laundromat. Get a used unit with age, low miles, residential fridge and a washer and a dryer. Do not get a combination washer/dryer. Try a 2002 to 2007 Travel Supreme.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Do the 150K+ class B rvs like the Winnebago Era actually present the quality advantage that you would be paying for at that price per sq ft? Higher resale, etc... Try not to get into it's too small for me, I am trying to key off of Steve's 2FF positives with Van life style and smaller units etc...

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Nobody uses the washer and dryer in their RV, it’s a nice sale feature but pointless, you can fit a pair of pants and maybe one sock and it will use all of your water if your not in a park. If your in park they all have laundry facilities anyway. Most people we know take them out for more storage. Where mine was I put in shelves and keep printers and my scanner in there.

bagged97taco

Reaction score
In my opinion this rig will meet your criteria besides the cab over bed. Like I said before I have the same rig but 2 years older. I have 2 kids 5/3 and many times travel with my mother on the long trips (free child care). The only issue I see is your hallett. It’s gotta be a pretty heavy boat. Nada lists my Cole at 4220 for hull only. Add the 4x2 boxed triple axle trailer and fuel and other shit it’s pretty heavy as well. But my tiffing pulls the grade just fine until you lose momentum. I abuse my v10 when towing and it’s never let me down. I let her eat but the only plus to that is the engine is tight between my wife and I. So I can’t hear her bitch!!!

fmo24

Reaction score
Nobody uses the washer and dryer in their RV, it’s a nice sale feature but pointless, you can fit a pair of pants and maybe one sock and it will use all of your water if your not in a park. If your in park they all have laundry facilities anyway. Most people we know take them out for more storage. Where mine was I put in shelves and keep printers and my scanner in there.
I disagree. We use ours regularly. The only reason we go to laundry mat is bedding and dog blankets and such.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

My parents use theirs all day long.... Key is not to have the dual unit, but have separate washer and dryer... Who wants to use a laundry mat, yuk......

The same goes for the dish washer.....They use it like crazy...lol

Singleton

Reaction score
I disagree. We use ours regularly. The only reason we go to laundry mat is bedding and dog blankets and such.

they work for 2 people. Family of 5, different story IMO.
when we did our 2.5 week Yellowstone trip, we had a restock / laundry afternoon prior to getting to Zion for 2 days. Was much easier for a family of 4 to divide and concur.

Singleton

Reaction score
My parents use theirs all day long.... Key is not to have the dual unit, but have separate washer and dryer... Who wants to use a laundry mat, yuk......

The same goes for the dish washer.....They use it like crazy...lol

when you have kids = you have dishwashers.

all theses items come down to where you camp. Washer, dishwasher require full hookups.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

all theses items come down to where you camp. Washer, dishwasher require full hookups.

Its mostly just the 2 of them and they camp in full hook ups 95% of the time. Their coach is 100% electric, no propane, heater and water heater runs on diesel or electric.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

when you have kids you have laundry people to do ling as the thing is hooked up.. lol. I don’t care how many loads they gotta do even if they have to wash one shirt at a time it isn’t my problem

Singleton

Reaction score
W
when you have kids you have laundry people to do ling as the thing is hooked up.. lol. I don’t care how many loads they gotta do even if they have to wash one shirt at a time it isn’t my problem

when you have kids you have a ton of shit to pack and store. Storage is key over ability to do laundry.
wife and I have always said, storage over laundry is key for us.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So any thoughts on the challenger vs the Miramar? Also compare to Holiday rambler admiral 34j

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
In Havasu!

I sent him three emails off of Craigslist when he had it up there for 119. Also sent him a couple off of rv trader. Never heard anything.

it doesn’t have the cab over bunk but I would have made an exception if the price is right. Can’t get a hold of the guy

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Here you go dave...perfect....

View attachment 925100

View attachment 925101

View attachment 925102

View attachment 925103

View attachment 925104

View attachment 925105

My neighbor just bought that exact model for the same reasons as RD. Its really nice and perfect for what he needed. I want one!!!! But I just bought his TT so he could get it.

spectras only

Reaction score
Dave, remember my buddy's 389 Newmar Ventana? He didn't have washer&drier. He always had it hooked up in Indio where he owned a spot in the resort, so no biggie. His brother has a 2011 Newmar
1601059675712.png
Dutchstar that has washer and drier and he may want to sell it. He has a number in cdn dollar in his head and would be negotiable.
The layout is like this. You may want to check them out on rvtrader, quality would be much better than those gassers you're looking it.