WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for recommendations around Savannah and surrounding...South Carolina?? Florida??

bigdawgmini

Reaction score
My baby girl is getting married in Savannah the 1st weekend in April....I should have $3.00 left after the Gala event and am looking for some recommendations on seeing more of the surrounding area.

We have been there before and done all the tourist things, We are going to have 6 days after the wedding before we fly back to Oregon. A few of the folks are going to go to Charleston, SC for a few days, might not be too bad...I also thought about driving down in to Florida and look around as well.

At a minimum boating MUST be involved at some point during this road trip of 6 days....maybe a charter fishing trip, performance boat ride I don't have a clue at this point... I just have not spent any time in this country and want to take a look around...

I am hopeful RDP brain trust can help me out.

Then road trip south to Desert Storm for a week of fun and great boating!!

Greg

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Charleston is worth some time. Great food and history. A lot depends on how much driving you want to do.

Charter fishing inshore and offshore all around the area, just google up guide services and check reviews.

The FL Atlantic coast is pretty crowded/private population wise so you have beaches past Jax.

South of Jax is a lot to see and do so that's a nice trip. If you golf, the world golf HOF in St Augustine is really cool. St Augustine is really cool for that matter.

Daytona, Cape Canrveral and more on down the coast.

Lot to see and 6 days can hit some highlights. All depends on how much driving you wish to do.

SixD9R

Reaction score
If you decide on the west coast of Florida, there are some great spots like Anna Maria Island, Long Boat Key, Sanibel Island to name a few. You can rent a boat from a dealer on Long Boat for a day and cruise the intracoastal waterway, gulf of Mexico and some un-inhabited islands. I think there is also dealer with rentals on Sanibel. Beautiful scenery and crystal clear blue-green waters. The weather should be nice and warm but not super hot and likely early enough in the season that you will avoid the daily thunderstorms. The water will probably be a bit cold though.

bigdawgmini

Reaction score
Charleston is worth some time. Great food and history. A lot depends on how much driving you want to do.

Charter fishing inshore and offshore all around the area, just google up guide services and check reviews.

The FL Atlantic coast is pretty crowded/private population wise so you have beaches past Jax.

South of Jax is a lot to see and do so that's a nice trip. If you golf, the world golf HOF in St Augustine is really cool. St Augustine is really cool for that matter.

Daytona, Cape Canrveral and more on down the coast.

Lot to see and 6 days can hit some highlights. All depends on how much driving you wish to do.
Don't mind the driving at all....What area would you suggest as far as fishing charters?? I just need a place to start looking:)

bigdawgmini

Reaction score
If you decide on the west coast of Florida, there are some great spots like Anna Maria Island, Long Boat Key, Sanibel Island to name a few. You can rent a boat from a dealer on Long Boat for a day and cruise the intracoastal waterway, gulf of Mexico and some un-inhabited islands. I think there is also dealer with rentals on Sanibel. Beautiful scenery and crystal clear blue-green waters. The weather should be nice and warm but not super hot and likely early enough in the season that you will avoid the daily thunderstorms. The water will probably be a bit cold though.
Thanks for that!! I will look that area over.. Boat charter sounds good to me...

SixD9R

Reaction score
Thanks for that!! I will look that area over.. Boat charter sounds good to me...
Sorry I can’t recommend anything fishing wise but you would have no problem at all finding something in any of those places.

SixD9R

Reaction score
Here’s a few pics of the gulf that I have on my phone. This is Sarasota area. The sunsets over the water are also epic but this day was a little cloudy. Notice how flat the water is.
3284F734-A419-4F51-9532-E9C9018BC072.jpeg
1903DEF7-3AFD-43BE-B0E8-5158D20351E5.jpeg
004935B7-B246-450C-8055-C4245C6768E0.jpeg
01E24411-DBAF-48D6-8FC8-36A6FDD815FC.jpeg

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Savannah is great please the history is amazing. Just walking around the city is a good day. In fact we have images blown up from area in our home from this trip. The architectural aspect was fascinating to me. The squares around town have so much to see. Most have signs that explan the history. There is a farmer’s market king of place. Tybee island and hilton Head are great to have day trips. The river walk is a nice place to stay by and the food is incredible. I was never really impressed by FL the times I have driven through. Because of that I would not make the drive into hat direction. I’d head up towards Charleston SC. There is a lot in these areas to fill a few days if not all that you have there. Be sure to post up images of the travels.

bigdawgmini

Reaction score
Savannah is great please the history is amazing. Just walking around the city is a good day. In fact we have images blown up from area in our home from this trip. The architectural aspect was fascinating to me. The squares around town have so much to see. Most have signs that explan the history. There is a farmer’s market king of place. Tybee island and hilton Head are great to have day trips. The river walk is a nice place to stay by and the food is incredible. I was never really impressed by FL the times I have driven through. Because of that I would not make the drive into hat direction. I’d head up towards Charleston SC. There is a lot in these areas to fill a few days if not all that you have there. Be sure to post up images of the travels.
Yes we thoroughly enjoyed Savannah the last time we were there... As you said above the architecture is killer and the history was amazing to me.... We've got a large group going on the ghost tour one night should be fun... And when we were there last time we stayed right on the river and when that first super container ship went by it was unbelievable... And yes we'll post picks up when we get down there...

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Don't mind the driving at all....What area would you suggest as far as fishing charters?? I just need a place to start looking:)
April should have redfish and trout heating up with spanish and king mackeral coming on in near offshore. Tybee Isand near Savannnah, Jax area and on down have plenty of guides to choose from.

I prefer a guide taking 2-4 out but there are larger party boats with group capabilities.