WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LOOKING FOR SIZE 11 RACE SKI BINDINGS or TIPS ON SOFTENING RUBBER

Cole Harper

Reaction score
I recently was given a race ski from Char Merich, the ski is a majah long board and was originally her husband Jeff's ski. I took the ski out to elsinore this last saturday to get a feel for the ski. Taped up normal, not too tight, my uncle struggled to get the straps down, and once in, my feet were already numb on the deck of the boat. I skied for 25min and then called it because my feet were screaming. the rubber is fir, binding were from early 90s late 80s so the ski has some years, im curious if there is a way to soften the rubber? get new straps? get new rubber entirely? Need new binding completely? Im not sure if i need a bigger size? (The bindings are 10.5 and im a 11 in shoes) Im reaching out to the forum to see if anyone has tips and advice to see what i should do. Thanks, happy skiing, Cole Harper

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
You can extend the buckles by making some metal straps with holes that match up to the rubber and buckle. Don't know how experienced your uncle is, no offense, but they are not very easy to get buckled normally anyway. Another trick is to punch extra holes in the straps (use a "leather punch"), which will allow them to stretch easier. Not sure if I may have a set of larger ones here.

Cole Harper

Reaction score
Thankyou for the tips! My uncle and my dad ski raced for years and they said the rubber was old. punching holes in the straps is a great idea! thanks! im guessing just punch a couple holes down the center of the strap? if i dont have a leather punch can i use a drill bit? also after looking them over closer i saw that the rubber is starting to tear where the buckle and rubber meet on the binding strap. is there a adhesive i can repair that with? or would that be a case of something making a longer metal buckle and drill holes in a new location on the rubber strap?

montaj629

Reaction score
2611C28D-9F50-4CE0-BFF1-4B1B4B028BE1.jpeg
This is how I did mine. Hope it helps!

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Thankyou for the tips! My uncle and my dad ski raced for years and they said the rubber was old. punching holes in the straps is a great idea! thanks! im guessing just punch a couple holes down the center of the strap? if i dont have a leather punch can i use a drill bit? also after looking them over closer i saw that the rubber is starting to tear where the buckle and rubber meet on the binding strap. is there a adhesive i can repair that with? or would that be a case of something making a longer metal buckle and drill holes in a new location on the rubber strap?

A leather punch is not very expensive, might even find one at a local hardware store, think mine may have come from Harbor Freight https://www.harborfreight.com/leather-punch-tool-97715.html

If the strap is starting to tear, no adhesive that I know while handle the load, but perhaps making a buckle extension as I previously attempted to describe might fix it for you.

One other thing you can try if the bindings may need to be replaced anyway is suntan lotion. We used to use it on slot car tires, and if I recall the higher SPF rating was preferred.

Cole Harper

Reaction score
Awesome my family and i will be down at sandbar at the end of july, see you then, thanks!