WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for some expert advice

Bill luma

Reaction score
I currently have a 28 ft Howard Bullet MCOB and I am looking to sell it and buy a Cat 28ft, single engine with a walk-thru bow. I'm not looking to just go fast. Please feel free to give me your Pros and Cons on the Cat vs the Howard.

Thank you!
Bill

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
Having had both, only all of mine were closed bow.
The cat will ride better and be faster on the lake, but not as good for the ocean.
The V hull will have a more usable cabin (my wife liked the 27 Hallett better because of the cabin)
I liked the cat better, rode better and was more fun to drive and cruised faster.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
.02 Check your insurance rates on the boat you want. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If your primary objective is top speed, forget the walk-thru open bow and go with a closed deck. Deck aerodynamics at 100+ mph plays a big role in maximizing performance.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I currently have a 28 ft Howard Bullet MCOB and I am looking to sell it and buy a Cat 28ft, single engine with a walk-thru bow. I'm not looking to just go fast. Please feel free to give me your Pros and Cons on the Cat vs the Howard.

Thank you!
Bill

If you aren’t looking to go fast I’d stick with the vee. Most cats done even start working until 65+

evantwheeler

Reaction score
If you aren’t looking to go fast I’d stick with the vee. Most cats done even start working until 65+

I’ve only driven one cat, it was a 26’ Daytona with a 496. Topped out at 70-72 or so. It worked just fine and was the best boat driving experience of my life. It’s all relative. Sure they’re probably more fun to drive at 100+, but to say they don’t “work” until 65+ is poor advice.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I’ve only driven one cat, it was a 26’ Daytona with a 496. Topped out at 70-72 or so. It worked just fine and was the best boat driving experience of my life. It’s all relative. Sure they’re probably more fun to drive at 100+, but to say they don’t “work” until 65+ is poor advice.

Keep in mind the RDP towing police also recommend an F550 to tow a jet ski. :)

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Keep in mind the RDP towing police also recommend an F550 to tow a jet ski. :)
THATS BECAUSE MOST DON'T UNDERSTAND IT ISN'T THE SIZE OF THE TRUCK, IT'S THE SIZE OF THE BALLS,...MOST HERE HAVE REAL SMALL BALLS....SO EVEN WITH A F550, THEY ARE LIMITED TO ONLY 3500 LBS....IF THEY WOULD JUST GET BIGGER BALLS THEY COULD TOW MORE WITH A F150 ....

Last edited:

Bill luma

Reaction score
Alrighty Did not mean to get you guys riled up. So the better family boat would be the Howard . I have teenagers and I like to be pulled on the tubes I never seen anybody pull behind a eliminator on a tube . But then I’m on the East Coast

Bill luma

Reaction score
And I did not mean to offend eliminator boats they’re just extremely popular so sorry if I offended anybody about their eliminator boat. I guess the proper term is cats.

LGETT

Diving In
Reaction score
Having owned V's and now a 28 Cat for a few years and having 3 kids I can tell you the cat is the way to go.

Several reasons....

Easy access on and off from front or rear.

Much more move about room on most cats with deck or walk through lay outs.

Love the flat ride and handling (howard sportdeck)

When floating you dont get rocked so hard by boat wake

The ride is much better, but they or at least mine does like to air out in rough water at speed. No big deal just makes it fun to drive.

Not so sure the RD comment on over 65mph makes sense to me, the handling, turning, performance below 65mph is good. I think he is referring to packing air and really making the hull design perform.

We do some water sports, the rope is lower to the water line and being 28' makes you less nimble turning around a bunch but overall good choice for our family.

Good luck

Bill luma

Reaction score
Thanks For taking the time to answer my question. I love my Howard. Just looking for something different.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Thanks For taking the time to answer my question. I love my Howard. Just looking for something different.

What does the howard do or doesnt do that your looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro