WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for suggestions on a family boat models/brands to read up on - mcob designs

Qwiketz

Reaction score
Hi all. I've been doing reading on a possible family boat. I'm looking at a 22 to 24 ft (maybe a smaller 25') boat with a mcob. So far I've been to cobra to check out their razor 230, I've seen the Advantage Citation online (and read the comparison thread on here but there wasn't any feedback on the advantage). I also saw an ad for the ultra 247.

I'm looking for a high quality boat that is going to last for a while. Maybe some suggestions on additional models /brands to check out that are built pretty good, have a model in this size range.

I was around the river 15-20 years ago a decent amount so the names are familiar, but I haven't really had to shop or really understand the differences in the build quality, so if you guys could chime in or pm me advice, that would be great!

Also, is there much of a difference on the interior of the boat going from say a razor 230 up to a 24' boat like an ultra 247? I'm usually going to be cruising around with at least 4 adults and 4 kids most of the time (which is why I don't want a closed bow). I know a lot of people favor the walk through but I'm partial to the mcob to get my kids out of the sun while I'm traveling around.

I'm going to be considering new and used once I evaluate the trade offs (like how much cheaper is used relative to the use on the boat for the price). If I get some suggestions on models to watch, I can watch the for sale adds.

Finally, besides here, where are some good places to watch for stuff for sale used? I'm on the cobra and eliminator groups on FB and also joined whip trader on FB. Seems like not too many good websites that update and remove sold boats reliably (keep seeing old ads online).

TIA!

Ricks raft

Reaction score
It's on the big size, but hallett 255 hard to beat. It's heavy, 520 min. I had Hp500 efi. Just enough to be fun.
If you'll often have 8 on board the 23-24 mcob will seem tight.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Eliminator has a 24 and 25 Eagle XP. They are relatively common with mcob. They are good boat even with stock power and the bottom will handle most water conditions. I have seen quite a few in classifieds so check around.

Qwiketz

Reaction score
thanks for the input. I'll check them out. years ago I rented a 24 eliminator in Havasu and liked it. I still think back to that boat!

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
lots of reasons I was a two time happy Cobra owner. I sold my second Cobra a few years ago, a 2005 260 razor with close to 800 hours on it, everything held up great.

A few characteristics that I liked about it... Stepped hull for increased performance, for a light boat (3800lbs) it ran fast and solid on havasu all day any day, deep gunnel walls gave the boat a bigger feeling (great when the kids were little), the cuddy gave options for seating, built in coolers, storage and most liked the shade for small children. The 260 has lots of cup holders, lots of storage, very clean lines, excellent fit and finish interior work and solid on point gel work and rigging.

I looked at others when preparing to have that 260 built, and I continued to find lots of value (hardware, hidden bimini, swim step(s) in the Cobra. Worth a second look in comparisons for sure. Good secret also, ask about having gas tanks placed in gunnel walls so you don't have to have a belly tank in bottom of the boat where you could have a floor storage area :)

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I would put the lavey 24 nuera on top of your list. Quality built boat, takes the rough water better then most 25’s. They have great customer service if your ever in need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Interceptor has a great deal on their 25. Its the old Cole mold. I would give them a call.

Also lavey, Eliminator, Hallett, Nordic, Shockwave, Advantage are some other companies that you should take a look at.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
The Ultra 247 and Cobra 230/Ultra 23XS have the exact same interior space. The hull is basically the same, the 247 is a stepped version of the 23’ hull with the integrated swim step, which accounts for the extra length.

I have the Cobra 230 MCOB, and agree with Throttle. The Cobra version of that boat has the nicest hardware and most options. Cobra does not make a version of the 247, however The Cobra 230 and Ultra 23xs are the best versions of that hull.

Last edited:
Reactions: DWC

Qwiketz

Reaction score
thanks for the info. The interceptor is a nice boat that I didn't know anything about so that was a great suggestion.

Yes, the cobras do have a lot of features that come stock and their interiors look great.

Qwiketz

Reaction score
Checked out the interceptors today. Good looking boats. They had a few outboard 25’s there for sale. I was able to get a good idea of the hull and the interior.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Checked out the interceptors today. Good looking boats. They had a few outboard 25’s there for sale. I was able to get a good idea of the hull and the interior.

They had the deal of the boat show this year. I would also swing by laveycraft. Construction rigging and gel are top notch.

Qwiketz

Reaction score
They had the deal of the boat show this year. I would also swing by laveycraft. Construction rigging and gel are top notch.
I was hoping to see a completed I/o and also hoping it would be a great deal! But they do make the boat custom and it does take time. Definitely something to consider.

from what I understand, the laveys have a very efficient hull and from what I’ve seen, they also look great

StevieHops

Reaction score
I’d swing by Tahit and talk to Todd. Their 242 skier is a lot of bang for the buck.

LC925

Reaction score
Have you looked at the 25’ Shockwave Tremor? I had that in the past and was pleased with it prior to stepping up to their 26’ Cat

Qwiketz

Reaction score
Have you looked at the 25’ Shockwave Tremor? I had that in the past and was pleased with it prior to stepping up to their 26’ Cat
Based on what I saw on the website, they’re going for about $95k which is a bit more than I’d like to pay.

most new boats have sold so I do have the winter to figure things out. Around $75-80k is about as much as I’m looking to pay. Knowing we’re about to have another economic meltdown in 2021, I really probably should wait also. Things are so, so expensive right now

LC925

Reaction score
Looks like all new sales listing have been removed from BoatTrader which would give a base start price. I believe that one on their website had some upgrades to it. They might start at the high $70’s or low $80’s and can sky rocket from there. But they have been going up about $5k per year for the last 3 years. Might be worth a call.

Qwiketz

Reaction score
Looks like all new sales listing have been removed from BoatTrader which would give a base start price. I believe that one on their website had some upgrades to it. They might start at the high $70’s or low $80’s and can sky rocket from there. But they have been going up about $5k per year for the last 3 years. Might be worth a call.
Yeah, it might be worth a call.

a bunch of the sites I’ve found so far haven’t been very helpful. From listings 2+ years old (powerboat listings) to not much being on the boat trader;ive mostly been keeping an eye on Facebook and getting suggestions from you guys.

last night I was checking out some of the old photos of the 250 Cole world class and man some of those were some good looking boats!

on a different note, any good places to scan through pics of different gel coat designs / patterns / themes? I tried Pinterest earlier this week. I’ve been checking out this forum too.

thanks for all the good info!

RodnJen

Reaction score
If interior space is important you will want to look at the Essex lineup. The 24’ Valor offers great space and a very stable ride.

Qwiketz

Reaction score
thanks for all the suggestions. I do have a question. On new custom boats, I bet the price is more or less what it is. What about a new old stock, 2019 model now that we're approaching the end of the 2020's season. I know with new cars, the manufacture puts additional "money on the hood" but I doubt that's the case with boats, especially when it's an independent dealer stuck with a 2019. Is there much of a price discount on these? Where's a good place to start and not completely piss them off or insult them with a low offer. Or is this more common with boats (for them to sit around for a year or two if not custom ordered)?

feel free to pm me as well.

Qwiketz

Reaction score
Saw this guy at lake Mojave’s today. Good looking boat

Attachments

• 11D9B430-77DD-4528-ABEB-86A509E61595.jpeg
    11D9B430-77DD-4528-ABEB-86A509E61595.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 159