WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking to hire in Tucson

Mikemo_SDS

Reaction score
Start at $17+ an hour depending on experience.
Fleet mechanic to cover natural gas engines. Service truck provided.
Medical offered after 6 month probation. Hit me up for more info.
Willing to possibly pay to relocate.

Last edited:

Wedgy

Reaction score
This is a tough grout here
I also wish you luck in your search. Speaking of grout, I trained at San Diego Job Corps. Up Until 2010.

I believe the sentiment is your open position will be difficult to fill at that wage.
The Tile Helpers I trained would go out at $15, 17 an hour minimum. Trained and equipped. That was 11 years ago.

You might give the Auto Shop program there a call,, or any local Community College or High School Auto shop program. Maybe you'll get lucky with a good trainee.

What's an automobile dealer shop rate? $17 per hr to start, just seems low for a mechanic as you described.
But I'm just a Used Tilesetter. What do I know.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I also wish you luck in your search. Speaking of grout, I trained at San Diego Job Corps. Up Until 2010.

I believe the sentiment is your open position will be difficult to fill at that wage.
The Tile Helpers I trained would go out at $15, 17 an hour minimum. Trained and equipped. That was 11 years ago.

You might give the Auto Shop program there a call,, or any local Community College or High School Auto shop program. Maybe you'll get lucky with a good trainee.

What's an automobile dealer shop rate? $17 per hr to start, just seems low for a mechanic as you described.
But I'm just a Used Tilesetter. What do I know.

That’s why nobody can find techs worth a shit anymore...the amount of training and knowledge involved to be a competent tech is pretty steep these days...Changing parts is only a small fraction of the job anymore. Couple that with service information, scanners, subscriptions, special tooling, etc...and shop overhead is through the roof. Good techs should all be making $40+/hr, but that would drive the shop rate north of $150/hr, which simply isn’t doable in a lot of areas. Training customers is another thing. This was kinda the point of ASE but they failed and nobody outside of the industry even knows who they are.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
What is the relevance of this? Do you work at Wal Mart?

The relevance is that, although I wish you luck, it seems unlikely anyone of any caliber will show up for that wage...unfortunately.
McDonalds is hiring at at $16- $20 an hour to peddle fries.

The outfit I work for can not get entry level shovel handlers to even show up for one day at $20 an hour. That’s with full bennies from day one, 401K with match, and typically 20 hours a week overtime as well, plus $125 a day per diem for out of town work, and company vehicles with fuel card for transportation.
Tbey just won’t do it...especially in AZ where employment favors the employer

just_floatin

Reaction score
To add a little perspective. I worked as a GM technician for Courtesy Chevrolet in AZ right out of AAI (automotive school) from 1986 - 1989. I was making $20.00 dollars an hour flat rate logging 50 hours a week.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
That’s why nobody can find techs worth a shit anymore...the amount of training and knowledge involved to be a competent tech is pretty steep these days...Changing parts is only a small fraction of the job anymore. Couple that with service information, scanners, subscriptions, special tooling, etc...and shop overhead is through the roof. Good techs should all be making $40+/hr, but that would drive the shop rate north of $150/hr, which simply isn’t doable in a lot of areas. Training customers is another thing. This was kinda the point of ASE but they failed and nobody outside of the industry even knows who they are.
I had a shop for over 26 years , was ASE certified in numerous areas …nobody EVER asked to see any certification !

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Where's your certification???
E27210DB-182B-4976-AA93-5A91534FBA14.jpeg

Xring01

Reaction score
Everyone I know is hiring in SoCal…
Some of these are damn good jobs that people will be begging for in a few years.

azsunfun

Reaction score
toostoned is a college town, and retirement community, our income disperity from tucson and phoenix nite and day, but the pace of life is why us cactus patch children live here:cool:

Your ad here

Reaction score
Is that service truck fully outfitted with all the basic tools and specialty tools that are needed for the job? or are tools to be supplied by the employee? A guy that has bought his own tools isn't going to work for $17/hr. nor bring them to the party even if the service truck is somewhat stocked.

Mikemo_SDS

Reaction score
Let’s rewrite this a little:
Looking for a responsible, trainable young person that’s has some mechanical ability. Not looking for a mechanic, because most of y’all have bad habits, or a bad driving record so I can’t insure your ass! I will provide the truck, all tools needed and promise that if you work hard, you can have a well paying career!
Starting pay is $18, minimum. Could be $25+ depending on YOU!
Again, not looking for a mechanic!
Only qualifications are:
Responsible
Good driving record
Trainable
Mechanically Inclined.

Great technicians in my small field make $40-$50 an hour.

1manshow

Reaction score
Iam just hear to comment on your beautiful boat you have in your avatar...Congratulations!! It’s a beauty!! Seen it in person last week at Howard!! Wife and I doing similar set up - Teague 1050.. We are gonna do a merc 600..

Good luck in your employee search!

nowski

Reaction score
Now lets talk relocation: Move the job to Havasu and I'm all in...

Good Luck on your search...

traquer

Reaction score
Now that you put it that way, that's not a bad deal at all. If I was in my early 20s and wasn't in college I'd jump all over it. Too many young people so lazy now and don't think ahead 2 steps.

Mikemo_SDS

Reaction score
Iam just hear to comment on your beautiful boat you have in your avatar...Congratulations!! It’s a beauty!! Seen it in person last week at Howard!! Wife and I doing similar set up - Teague 1050.. We are gonna do a merc 600..

Good luck in your employee search!
That’s awesome man! Are you getting an SDS also? Thank you for the kind words! Good luck on your build.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
What people are saying is the pay is really low for the skill set. People are making that flipping burgers. Now if it was 17 an hour per flagged hour it would be a bit better but even that is low. Most mech in tucson worth a shit are getting 25-30 flagged an hour

Mikemo_SDS

Reaction score
Now that you put it that way, that's not a bad deal at all. If I was in my early 20s and wasn't in college I'd jump all over it. Too many young people so lazy now and don't think ahead 2 steps.
I should have put it that way from the beginning. Oh well! I’m new here at RDP, so I’m still learning! Lol. Hoping to find someone on here that has a responsible kid looking for a good job! Thanks!

Xring01

Reaction score
Looking for a responsible, trainable young person that’s has some mechanical ability. Not looking for a mechanic, because most of y’all have bad habits, or a bad driving record so I can’t insure your ass! I will provide the truck, all tools needed and promise that if you work hard, you can have a well paying career!
Only qualifications are:
Responsible
Good driving record
Trainable
Mechanically Inclined.

Thats should get some interest.

just_floatin

Reaction score
Up to 25 dollars an hour for a mechanically inclined “young” (no inherit habits) trainee technician with a clean driving record and great attendance record. Kidding aside, I would post your add at the trade schools in Tucson similar to EVIT in Mesa Az. Instructors usually will refer their best students. Good Luck.
A1DF191D-6B91-4209-A4A0-389B3CEC6E3D.jpeg

Mikemo_SDS

Reaction score
What people are saying is the pay is really low for the skill set. People are making that flipping burgers. Now if it was 17 an hour per flagged hour it would be a bit better but even that is low. Most mech in tucson worth a shit are getting 25-30 flagged an hour
I agree, however I’m not looking for a skill set. I want someone that’s green so I can train. This job is way better than flipping burgers!

Mikemo_SDS

Reaction score
Up to 25 dollars an hour for a mechanically inclined “young” (no inherit habits) trainee technician with a clean driving record and great attendance record. Kidding aside, I would post your add at the trade schools in Tucson similar to EVIT in Mesa Az. Instructors usually will refer their best students. Good Luck.
View attachment 1012259
Great advice! Thank you!

boatnam2

Reaction score
Funny thing is most parents would rather have their kids sitting at home for free on their free phones because their to good to go work for $18 bucks an hour and learn a trade, 10 years will go by and they will be doing the same thing, good news is McDonalds will be paying $25 by then. I love this new world were everyone has to make at least $50 and hour even if you live in middle of the no where.

Last edited:

traquer

Reaction score
Funny thing, when I talk with kids (like age 12-ish to like 20) I ask them what they wanna do.. They all say the dumbest shit ever...

I tell them there's two options that are foolproof:

1) Learn computers and tech and also learn some marketing/people/sales skills. You need at least one, ideally both. You might get bored of it later, but you'll never have to worry about money.

2) Learn a trade that sounds interesting to you, any trade. You don't even need marketing or sales skills, just do a great job and be halfway likeable person and you're golden. You won't be bored but your body won't be able to take it forever but you also won't have to worry about money.

Am I wrong? Haven't convinced one kid yet as far as I'm aware. They're all interested, but not committed.

1manshow

Reaction score
That’s awesome man! Are you getting an SDS also? Thank you for the kind words! Good luck on your build.
SDS it is!! Thanks! Now for the 1 1/2 year wait😩. How long of a wait for you from time you put a deposit down??

Mikemo_SDS

Reaction score
Funny thing, when I talk with kids (like age 12-ish to like 20) I ask them what they wanna do.. They all say the dumbest shit ever...

I tell them there's two options that are foolproof:

1) Learn computers and tech and also learn some marketing/people/sales skills. You need at least one, ideally both. You might get bored of it later, but you'll never have to worry about money.

2) Learn a trade that sounds interesting to you, any trade. You don't even need marketing or sales skills, just do a great job and be halfway likeable person and you're golden. You won't be bored but your body won't be able to take it forever but you also won't have to worry about money.

Am I wrong? Haven't convinced one kid yet as far as I'm aware. They're all interested, but not committed.
Your absolutely right. I believe we need more tradesmen! I didn’t know what I was going to do then got into this at 24, started my own business at 25. Bought my first house at 28. It’s been very good to me and mine! High school education and I’m a hard worker that likes nice things.

Mikemo_SDS

Reaction score
SDS it is!! Thanks! Now for the 1 1/2 year wait😩. How long of a wait for you from time you put a deposit down??
Gave my deposit May 2020. Starting building in August. Water test tomorrow. Love the SDS!

1manshow

Reaction score
Not to bad of a wait! Well have fun!! It’s gonna be ripper with that 1050 in it!! Ditto on SDS👊🏻👊🏻

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Good on you for providing a good entry level job.
I started out at the bottom dollar in my field. Now allot of people would love to have my pay check.

show your worth through dedication and hard work. The money will come. It’s much easier to pay than to replace you.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Kids all wanna be "YouTubers" they make millions as Influencers.......

I read somewhere, if phones were still wired to the wall.
We'd all live in a better place and never heard of George Floyd or BLM.

mobldj

Reaction score
Only qualifications are:
Responsible
Good driving record
Trainable
Mechanically Inclined.

big differance in this wording.good luck !

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
You all need to start thinking outside your little bubbles of SoCal and Phoenix. The pay scale that is being offered is very good for the area for that young.
Great advice! Thank you!
Check into the JTED schools here in Tucson. They have a bunch of different vocations at different campuses around the city.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

bigriver48

Aloha mr hand
Reaction score
Pay isn’t too bad in my opinion. I started off at $6.50 in 1990 at Huntington Beach Acura.i quickly moved upward and onto different Acura dealers over a 23 year span. Now a fleet mechanic for a water district, those beginner jobs is where i really learned .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

endobear

Reaction score
Good on you for providing a good entry level job.
I started out at the bottom dollar in my field. Now allot of people would love to have my pay check.

show your worth through dedication and hard work. The money will come. It’s much easier to pay than to replace you.
At 18 in 1993 I started laborig/painting for a neighbor for $7 per hr. Was up to $10 my 1st year. $13 by 98. Decided to try doing it on my own in 98 and haven't looked back.
While I have made a decent living and always have work, my body is waisted at 46.

traquer

Reaction score
At 18 in 1993 I started laborig/painting for a neighbor for $7 per hr. Was up to $10 my 1st year. $13 by 98. Decided to try doing it on my own in 98 and haven't looked back.
While I have made a decent living and always have work, my body is waisted at 46.
Take your vitamins and minerals (turmeric, fish oil, vitamin c, etc etc.) dude! You'll be amazed at how your body grows younger. I'm only 35 and noticed no more lower back pain, more energy, etc. Best investment I ever made. Find a local chiropractor that does all the natural healing stuff and he'll get you started

gqchris

Reaction score
Take your vitamins and minerals (turmeric, fish oil, vitamin c, etc etc.) dude! You'll be amazed at how your body grows younger. I'm only 35 and noticed no more lower back pain, more energy, etc. Best investment I ever made. Find a local chiropractor that does all the natural healing stuff and he'll get you started
Report back at 46 like us sir and let us know hows it still working :D I wish I could feel like I did 10 years ago. At 47 I feel like its all going to shit and I cant get away with Del Taco late nights,Butter Cake at Mastros, or over extering myself in ANY Activity anymore! No matter how many Flinstone Vitamins I take! LOL