WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

looking to learn some stuff about my new (to me) '83 mercury 115

MARCYTECH

Reaction score
just joined out of google search jibber jabber and frustration.

recently bought a '83 targa with a '83 merc 115 on the back, its a runner and in good shape, but ive been fixing things here and there.
im new to outboards, but not new to how things work.

when i bought it the bilge was a disaster so i tore it all apart and installed dual batteries on a switch with new wiring throughout the boat.

my question is about the stator/ rectifier. im showing about 12.06 on my cranking battery with engine off. engine on it shows 12.4 at idle on the rectifier output post
is that low?
does anyone have specs for a definitive stator test?

according to cdi website my stator tested bad on the blue wires going to the ignition boxes but the boat runs fine and rips.
tested my rectifier and it only flows one way - good

thanks in advance!

stoker2001

Reaction score
probably only a 9 amp stator,so if you are getting any voltage greater then batt voltage (engine off)you are probably ok..as you know 12.06V needs to be charged to at least 12.4-12.6V on any batt that is healthy in a neutral state

MARCYTECH

Reaction score
thanks for the response.
any known stator upgrades i might want to look into down the road?
also, yeah i threw the battery on the charger after my findings lastnight

secondly, im using a marine starting battery for the engine, and my second battery is a odyssey pc1200 (AGM) for all accessories.
used blue seas add a battery kit with charging relay which will bridge the batterys only when charging current is detected via the engine...
i was reading that AGM batterys are bad to use with old outboards? true? think ill be fine if its not the one directly connected to the engine?

thanks

stingray11

Reaction score
Yes use a wet cell battery with old outboards,rectifier type charging systems charge all the time,and you need to be able to check water as it could slightly cook water from battery however most people don't run long enough for that to happen ,and you have something wrong as voltage should be high 12v-13v when running. Now having said that voltage will increase with rpm so rev it up a bit and see if it increases.

MARCYTECH

Reaction score
got the voltage issues figured out just in time to lose a impeller and melt the top cylinder. anyone know of a engine builder that will rebuild this old thing?
or know of a black max (any hp) for sale?

Thanks

HST4ME

Reaction score
I build a lot of inlines or I have a fresh 2005 xr6 for 5k.