WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looks like Rugged Radios is in a bit of trouble

Nordie

Reaction score
  • Full Title: In the Matter of Rugged Race Products, Inc. d/b/a Rugged Radios
  • Document Type(s): Citation & Order
  • Bureau(s): Enforcement

Description:
EB notifies Rugged Race Products, Inc. d/b/a Rugged Radios that it unlawfully marketed radio frequency devices and directs it to take immediate steps to comply with the Commission's equipment authorization and marketing rules

• DA/FCC #: DA-20-1395

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Whoopsie. I have no inside info but heard they pretty much were caught flat footed when their standard 60 watt rebranded China radio went out of production earlier this year.

They had to redo their entire radio lineup and were offering unprogrammed radios for a little while in the spring for really cheap.

They now have a digital China radio, and Icom and Kenwood option like PCI..and of course all new mounts because the digital radio stuck out like 2 inches from the dash.

gqchris

Reaction score
Does this mean that our RM-60's will climb in price now?! LOL

I just read the whole citation, pretty lengthy!

grumpy88

Reaction score
Rugged has always been junk. PCI is more expensive, because it’s worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dont know about the junk part but i do really like my pci stuff . It will definitely go in my next vehicle too

Taboma

Reaction score
Reminds me of the CB radio "Freq. Mods" during the 80's. You could buy an off-the-shelf Sears Road Talker and Cobra SSB radios and with a couple of EZ mods, you'd have yourself a radio capable of RX and TX on hundreds of non-CB freqs. There was even a relatively secret club formed around the use of these numerous illegal freqs. With a decent linear amp, decent stick and atmospheric conditions I could BS with a tug boat operator on the Mississippi while driving to work in San Diego, or a commercial fisherman in Hawaii or off the Oregon Coast. Wasn't long before the word got out and the FCC clamped down hard on the manufacturers to change the internals to prevent this on newer models.

My buddy who turned me on to this and was tight with the "Radio Doctor" got a visit by two black suit dudes from the FCC at his home one afternoon after chatting on his way home from work. Threatened with prosecution, he relinquished his car's mobile and home base, but kept the other four or five he had rat holed. 😁

Reading the FCC complaint against Rugged, it's not clear to me what their current bitch is, since they claim to have stopped selling those offending models in 18' and another in May of 20'. I do know the FCC takes a very dim view of operating marine freqs in a non-marine environment, unless you've got a license for a marine base station.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Rugged has always been junk. PCI is more expensive, because it’s worth it.

Well now the radios are the same as PCI..

I am trying one of their bluetooth intercoms this next time around. I run Avcomm intercom now, and it has been great.

Hammer

Reaction score
Does any know how you’d go about getting your own private radio frequency?

I used Comms in Glamis this past weekend for the first time . I was annoyed that the channel on a rugged radio was labeled different on my PCI unit.

Is there a “cheat sheet” to get a rugged and PCI on the same channel and know the names of each channel?

Forgive me as I am a rookie to this stuff.

I hated hearing other people talk about what they are having for lunch over channel.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

I used Comms in Glamis this past weekend for the first time . I was annoyed that the channel on a rugged radio was labeled different on my PCI unit.

Is there a “cheat sheet” to get a rugged and PCI on the same channel and know the names of each channel?

I hated hearing other people talk about what they are having for lunch over channel.

There is licensing, fees, etc. associated with getting your own channel but it can be done.

The short illegal answer is get a programming cable and program the radio yourself. You can find a lonnnnng list of offroad frequencies that are not on the "popular" lists and punch one of those into your radio and your friend's radios. If you are not able to punch in your own because Rugged and PCI lock you in, you will have to program the frequencies in with a $20 cable, a laptop, and free CHIRP software.

Nordie

Reaction score
There is licensing, fees, etc. associated with getting your own channel but it can be done.

The short illegal answer is get a programming cable and program the radio yourself. You can find a lonnnnng list of offroad frequencies that are not on the "popular" lists and punch one of those into your radio and your friend's radios. If you are not able to punch in your own because Rugged and PCI lock you in, you will have to program the frequencies in with a $20 cable, a laptop, and free CHIRP software.

This is why Rugged is in trouble.

The answer for coms is yes, you can build a repeater, the license is good for your immediate family and good for 10 years. You can make the repeater private as well. You will need a good antenna and a few other things and you can put it in your RV. A GMRS license is $85. I would say for the antenna, repeater, duplexer and feedlines would be around a grand on the cheap side.

One huge plus to GMRS is the range, it will go for miles and miles.

I suspect the rugged stuff was supposed to stay in FRS, MURS, of GMRS in direct mode.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

A PCI and Rugged system *should* have the same pre-programmed channels.

I have a PCI system and my family all has ruggeds, same channels. I do hear you though that the bullshit traffic is getting out of control

DaveH

Reaction score
I breezed through the complaint.......lots of legal verbiage and mumbo jumbo.

but it appears what the FCC is pissed off about is these particular radios can be tuned to operate in frequency spectrum they arent licensed to operate in.

this is a big deal if you know anything about radio spectrum and how it is carefully utilized.

good luck trying to resolve this and they have probably sold thousands of radios and at this point is impossible to recall them.

as users of these devices use illegal channels to have less background noise in their communications, what they are doing is creating interference for users with devices designed to work in the correct spectrum.

since they made mention of it interfering with government frequencies (things like the military and various other three letter agencies) this means it is a high priority to them and not just ticked off someone's garage door opener doesn't work.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Not all the channels are in both units . But pci has 3 levels of channels and squelch control to limit some over the chatter yoir hearing from others .

Hammer

Reaction score
This is why Rugged is in trouble.

The answer for coms is yes, you can build a repeater, the license is good for your immediate family and good for 10 years. You can make the repeater private as well. You will need a good antenna and a few other things and you can put it in your RV. A GMRS license is $85. I would say for the antenna, repeater, duplexer and feedlines would be around a grand on the cheap side.

One huge plus to GMRS is the range, it will go for miles and miles.

I suspect the rugged stuff was supposed to stay in FRS, MURS, of GMRS in direct mode.

Good to know, I’d like to have mobile radio in the RV for the wife if I’m out and need to get in touch if anything went sideways. Or if I’ll be late for dinner. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
A PCI and Rugged system *should* have the same pre-programmed channels.

I have a PCI system and my family all has ruggeds, same channels. I do hear you though that the bullshit traffic is getting out of control

I don't believe they *all* quite match up in all cases, from all years, but the lists are close.

There are a lot of frequencies out there, but just punching one in is a crap shoot. Don't do that, this why we are being scrutinized in the first place.

You can also program in privacy codes to the channels you already have.. But you will only be able to hear those with the same privacy codes. That woudl cust down on your chatter to a degree.

Here is a 5 year old list of a few other channels, some of which likely won't be programmed into anyone's stock radio. There are tons and tons of published "off road" lists out there. You can pick a couple and program them into your group's radios. Again, its not legal, but you are already breaking the law anyway. At least just don't get on some public safety frequencies, which you might do by just punching something in.

Last edited:

Nordie

Reaction score
I breezed through the complaint.......lots of legal verbiage and mumbo jumbo.

but it appears what the FCC is pissed off about is these particular radios can be tuned to operate in frequency spectrum they arent licensed to operate in.

this is a big deal if you know anything about radio spectrum and how it is carefully utilized.

good luck trying to resolve this and they have probably sold thousands of radios and at this point is impossible to recall them.

as users of these devices use illegal channels to have less background noise in their communications, what they are doing is creating interference for users with devices designed to work in the correct spectrum.

since they made mention of it interfering with government frequencies (things like the military and various other three letter agencies) this means it is a high priority to them and not just ticked off someone's garage door opener doesn't work.

This is 100% accurate

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Good to know, I’d like to have mobile radio in the RV for the wife if I’m out and need to get in touch if anything went sideways. Or if I’ll be late for dinner. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nordie outlined the best way. But that said, if you buy a standard mobile radio in the correct band off Amazon or wherever (not an offroad one with a intercom dongle put on by Rugged or whoever) You can program it with the same frequencies that are in your off road radio. They come completely open with no programming, you just punch in the frequency, and use the radio without "programming" anything, but having the frequencies in memory is nice.

I have this one for the truck as a "base" radio. It is only 25 watts, but you can plug it into a cigarette lighter without worry. $70, comes with the programming cable. Buy an antenna kit and for it and you are good to go. So with all that you'd be in for $150.

I have the exact same 25 watt radio in my RZR modified with the intercom dongle on it.

If you get a higher powered radio, it is advisable to run a separate circuit for it, they wont come with a 12V adapter. A higher watt radio will give you better transmit range, which you may want in a base radio.

Last edited:

Nordie

Reaction score
These are still available cheap, just gotta find an old ham radio guy to program it up on your frequency. Then a gmrs license and any of your buddies that want in make sure they obtain a license. $85 for 10 years is pretty damn cheap.

Just know someone is always listening on any frequency.

This repeater also acts as a base station, so if someone is near it they can hear it. These types of repeaters were big with nascar teams, they still might be actually.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
These are still available cheap, just gotta find an old ham radio guy to program it up on your frequency. Then a gmrs license and any of your buddies that want in make sure they obtain a license. $85 for 10 years is pretty damn cheap.

Just know someone is always listening on any frequency.

This repeater also acts as a base station, so if someone is near it they can hear it. These types of repeaters were big with nascar teams, they still might be actually.

Good call there.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Who is "This is"?
Bye bye Lard ass!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Who is "This is"?
Bye bye Lard ass!

LOL that brought back some memories.