WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

looks like the Beachcomber is changing hands.

calkid

Reaction score
I'm freinds with the Santiago Family and just heard that they lost the lease portion of the Beachcomber yesterday. The lease was up and the bid was won by another party. I won't get into the names of the parties but many of you may know already. The Santiago Family still retains the privately owned section of the park.

Taboma

Reaction score
Wondering when that news would show up here. I got a call yesterday from my lake neighbor, certainly mass confusion by park residents at this early stage. Technically the new lease starts Sunday, not sure how this hand off will take place.
The section that the Santiago family still owns will surely find itself cut off from the lake facilities, clubhouse etc.
I'm anxiously awaiting an official letter.
Haven't a clue what the new owners have in mind, I think I know one party involved or at least revealed intentions of being involved in the takeover bid. Right now I'm hearing a lot from a few sources, but certainly not going to spread unfounded rumors, like Chinese investor involvement, I don't know shit really.
Not sure at this point if this seriously SUCKS, or has the potential for being a good thing, or at least I'd like to HOPE so :cool
I am kinda sad for the Santiago's, after Jim's passing I really felt that Shirley wanted to make some much needed improvements.
I've been there 20 years now, I'm not ready to hang it up yet, assuming I'm given the choice.:yikes

calkid

Reaction score
I agree on not spreading rumors. I personally won't be saying too much until Shirley or her Family give the ok. If you live in the park you already know who to talk to for information, although I'm not sure he will want to say much yet either. It's sad to think this could be the end of an era.

Taboma

Reaction score
"It's sad to think this could be the end of an era."

Your are 100% correct with that statement, I was seriously bummed last evening. Couldn't help thinking of all those 20 years of awesomeness and how confident I've been that even knowing this lease bullshit was coming, I couldn't escape my denial of admitting it could just end. I kept thinking, Hell this isn't "The Res", no worries --- So I hope for all our sake, it's a change that will yield fixin the things that needed fixin and don't F-up the things that don't :thumbup::thumbup::rolleyes

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
So what are the new owners plans with the land? Keep it a park or? I recall mobiles going for around $10k in there 2 summers ago because of the lease coming to an end.

Taboma

Reaction score
So what are the new owners plans with the land? Keep it a park or? I recall mobiles going for around $10k in there 2 summers ago because of the lease coming to an end.

That sir is the million dollar question, If we knew that most of us might sleep better tonight. Certainly there's a lot of legalities, there's various stipulations in the AZ lease, but let's face it, with enough $$ and lawyers, legalities are simply road bumps.

When you talk the mobiles, as in permanent mobile homes, they are in the back section on property owned by Santiago. They are not on the State of AZ Trust land this lease governs. Technically all the trailers on the lease land are RVs, in most all cases Park Models.

But the office, clubhouse, pool, launch ramp, docks, beaches --- that's all State lease land. So with different owners of the lease land versus the owned land, as you can see, the Mobile Home section becomes essentially land locked and isolated.

Hope we hear something concrete soon, according to the lease, all of us on lease land could get a letter from the new owner giving everybody 90 days to vacate :yikes

One of the double park models on the water, sold later last year for $ 200K, I bet that guy is more than a tad nervous about now :yikes

I doubt that's coming, but since they bid the damned value up so high (From an appraised $ 7Mil to up over $ 30 Mil) the state is cheering, but I'm sure a big rate increase is on the horizon :grumble:

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
That sir is the million dollar question, If we knew that most of us might sleep better tonight. Certainly there's a lot of legalities, there's various stipulations in the AZ lease, but let's face it, with enough $$ and lawyers, legalities are simply road bumps.

When you talk the mobiles, as in permanent mobile homes, they are in the back section on property owned by Santiago. They are not on the State of AZ Trust land this lease governs. Technically all the trailers on the lease land are RVs, in most all cases Park Models.

But the office, clubhouse, pool, launch ramp, docks, beaches --- that's all State lease land. So with different owners of the lease land versus the owned land, as you can see, the Mobile Home section becomes essentially land locked and isolated.

Hope we hear something concrete soon, according to the lease, all of us on lease land could get a letter from the new owner giving everybody 90 days to vacate :yikes

One of the double park models on the water, sold later last year for $ 200K, I bet that guy is more than a tad nervous about now :yikes

I doubt that's coming, but since they bid the damned value up so high (From an appraised $ 7Mil to up over $ 30 Mil) the state is cheering, but I'm sure a big rate increase is on the horizon :grumble:

Wow. I had no idea the Beachcomber sat on two separate parcels.

I hope everything works in the favor to the current residents. Sounds like a very stressful situation.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Wow. I had no idea the Beachcomber sat on two separate parcels.

I hope everything works in the favor to the current residents. Sounds like a very stressful situation.

Bad situation. Similarly, Needles Marina RV Park sits on three (parcels), one owned, one leased county, one leased city.

I hope for all owners (RV and mobile) that there is at minimum, a 'transition' process and timeline.

RVRKID

Reaction score
Heard it was a group of middle Easterns that paid 30 million for a 38 year lease.

Taboma

Reaction score
The HH article confirms what I'd heard that it was Jim Santiago's old business partner Peter Patel (Island Inn). Since I believe he's of Indian (Not native American) decent, that might explain the middle eastern investor $$ mentioned.

TCHB

Reaction score
I hope they don't come and jack up the price on things for the people who stay their all the time.

Taboma

Reaction score
TCHB, that of course is the question that's creating a lot of anxiety with the residents. Lease to the state more than quadruples, this man isn't in love with the Beachcomber lifestyle, he's pure business.

I know he owns the Island Inn (Pink Palace), I've never heard anything that good about that place that's causing me to jump for joy over having Peter Patel as the new owner.

So when the business model is applied, the future of affordability becomes a huge question mark ----- OR does he have something entirely different planned for the resort ?

Ask a dozen residents and get a dozen answers, I've seen nothing official from our current owners or the new owner. I haven't a clue how this transition is going to occur, but come tomorrow Mr. Patel will be running the show.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Article:

http://www.havasunews.com/news/beac...cle_ff0b0b3e-a912-11e4-a4b4-1bc723eedd7a.html

Posted: Friday, January 30, 2015 11:32 pm

By MARCEL LOUIS-JACQUES and ZACHARY MATSON TODAY?S NEWS-HERALD

The lease to Beachcomber Resort will change hands Sunday after it was purchased by the owner of the Island Inn for $30.2 million at a public state land auction in Kingman on Thursday.

The new owner, Peter Patel, bought the lease under the name Sammy?s Island LLC, a business incorporated at the end of December, after winning the auction that began with an opening bid of just over $7 million.

The new 38-year lease for 47.3 acres of lakefront Arizona state trust land takes effect Feb. 1 and will require Patel pay either 4 percent of his bid price ? around $1.2 million ? or 10 percent of gross rental receipts to the state land trust each year. Every five years, the land value the rents are based on increases 5 percent.

On Friday, residents at Beachcomber were uncertain about what the future would hold but hopeful the new owner would listen to their desires and improve current facilities.

?Staying at the corner lot, we heard three of four different rumors,? said Colleen Schneider who was staying at the resort for the first time this year. She lives in Washington for most of the year. ?There?s a lot of buzz going around here.?

She said each rumor had a different purchase amount and different buyer.

Bob Piekarski of Minnesota is an eight-year tenant at Beachcomber, but didn?t seem too worried about impending changes. On the contrary, Piekarski kicked back in a lawn chair on his porch, and grinned as he speculated which prospective improvements the new owner would bring to the resort.

?I think it?ll be even better with improvements,? Piekarski said. ?A bigger clubhouse, modernized pool, more games and recreation events, and a workshop.?

The resort on the southern tip of the Island includes a mobile home park of around 200 lots, with monthly rents between $1,100 and $1,400. It also includes an RV park of more than 250 lots, with rents between $525 and $585, and nearly 100 boat slips. Some of the mobile homes are owned by individuals rather than Beachcomber.

?The people here are super friendly,? Piekarski said with a soft Minnesotan accent. ?But we all agree (Beachcomber) needs to be brought up to date.?

The use allowed under the new lease is a ?recreational vehicle resort with office and clubhouse, boat ramps and slips, boat storage and related amenities,? according to a public notice before the auction.

?Sammy?s Island will be able to do whatever they want within local zoning ordinances,? Bill Boyd of the state land department said. Beachcomber Properties, the former leaseholder, will be reimbursed for $700,000 in improvements that they have made over the years.

Neither Peter Patel nor Beachcomber management could be reached for comment on Friday.

Taboma

Reaction score
That article is a bit misleading as it includes the mobile home section in it's resort description but doesn't mention it's not part of the state lease parcel(s) that total the 47.3 acres.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
The HH article confirms what I'd heard that it was Jim Santiago's old business partner Peter Patel (Island Inn). Since I believe he's of Indian (Not native American) decent, that might explain the middle eastern investor $$ mentioned.

Now I see the connection...if you stayed at Island Inn Suites?(across from Big 5) you were allowed launch priveleges at Beachcomber. Nothing wrong with that, just made the connection in this thread.

Taboma

Reaction score
It's my understanding, but not first hand knowledge, that as much as Peter and Jim had been business partners at one time, that relationship had dissolved and not on good terms.
In as much as this state lease auction, they were bidding against each other. I know at one time there were discounts available at the Pink Palace for Beachcomber residents to accommodate friends or relatives.
The Island Inn Suites were and as far as I know, still owned by the Santiago's and I know they did offer the launch privileges.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
TCHB, that of course is the question that's creating a lot of anxiety with the residents. Lease to the state more than quadruples, this man isn't in love with the Beachcomber lifestyle, he's pure business.

I know he owns the Island Inn (Pink Palace), I've never heard anything that good about that place that's causing me to jump for joy over having Peter Patel as the new owner.

So when the business model is applied, the future of affordability becomes a huge question mark ----- OR does he have something entirely different planned for the resort ?

Ask a dozen residents and get a dozen answers, I've seen nothing official from our current owners or the new owner. I haven't a clue how this transition is going to occur, but come tomorrow Mr. Patel will be running the show.

The Island Inn is an absolute shit hole. I booked a room there one weekend, got there and left. I forfeited my $180 for two nights and got a park model at the Islander.

cmeir

Reaction score
The Island Inn is an absolute shit hole. I booked a room there one weekend, got there and left. I forfeited my $180 for two nights and got a park model at the Islander.
GO to Havasu Springs my ex wife has nice place on front row . For sale best deal out there

RVRKID

Reaction score
Now I see the connection...if you stayed at Island Inn Suites?(across from Big 5) you were allowed launch priveleges at Beachcomber. Nothing wrong with that, just made the connection in this thread.

Who wants to launch at the Beachcomber?[emoji1][emoji1]