WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Loose seat base hardware

Gasnsuntanlotion

Reaction score
Need some expertise. I have loose seat mount screws. I tried to tighten them up but they won't bite. Do I get longer screws or do I use some sort of apoxy? Any input would be great!

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I assume they are going into the deck and not some bracket?

If the deck is still good,dry one size bigger bolts. I would. It go longer if you can avoid it.

Gasnsuntanlotion

Reaction score
I assume they are going into the deck and not some bracket?

If the deck is still good,dry one size bigger bolts. I would. It go longer if you can avoid it.

There Dana seat bases and I think #14 2 inch screws. They go into the deck and maybe into the stringers? Idd have to drill bases out more which I'm not sure I want to do.

wishiknew

Reaction score
There Dana seat bases and I think #14 2 inch screws. They go into the deck and maybe into the stringers? Idd have to drill bases out more which I'm not sure I want to do.

2'' screws are long you need to find what you are screwing into if you use longer screws you may go out the bottom of the boat

Icky

Reaction score
Is there access to underneath? Might be able to put a back up plate underneath the wood to sandwich it using bolts instead of screws

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
The issue is that they came loose when they're really not supposed to. Things like that bother me and I'd want to know why.

If I remember right you have a Howard? If so I don't think it would leave the factory like that so maybe something else going on.

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
Scroll down to knurled insert for hardwood. You need a tool to install them. Ask widowmaker for the part numbers.

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
See the 3 silver circles on the carpet? That's all it leaves. A flush, threaded hole. IMG_1125.jpg

Icky

Reaction score
Another thought is a stainless toggle bolt if it's a through hole

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I've had success filling with epoxy and re drilling the hole. If you get something quick setting it won't fall out of the hole and make a mess.

Gasnsuntanlotion

Reaction score
The issue is that they came loose when they're really not supposed to. Things like that bother me and I'd want to know why.

If I remember right you have a Howard? If so I don't think it would leave the factory like that so maybe something else going on.

Yes I have a Howard Biullet

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Or shove toothpicks in the holes and see if they bite lol

I would start with this..

but I would see if I could cut an access hole somewhere that isn't too bad and then through bolt hem

Gasnsuntanlotion

Reaction score
Is there access to underneath? Might be able to put a back up plate underneath the wood to sandwich it using bolts instead of screws

Not sure if I have access underneath. Doesn't appear too.

Gasnsuntanlotion

Reaction score
I would start with this..

but I would see if I could cut an access hole somewhere that isn't too bad and then through bolt hem

Not sure if it's bolted to the floor or into the stringers as well. I should call Gene first.

Gasnsuntanlotion

Reaction score

The starboard side were a tad loose but tightened up. The port side a few were sticking up and when I tried to tighten them they wouldnt snug up. That was my worry, Is there something going on? Boat has low hours. Was wondering why the seats aren't through bolted like my Fountain was.

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
I never had a problem with those stainless anchors. They mushroom into the wood. They work great.

But what do I know.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Or shove toothpicks in the holes and see if they bite lol

I've done this for years so it's probley wrong..;) but I dip the tooth picks in wood glue..then before the glue is dry.. put the screw in... thightens right up... and stays

I allways see people sitting on the back rest of boat seats.....if they watched how they were made..:yikes

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
2'' screws are long you need to find what you are screwing into if you use longer screws you may go out the bottom of the boat

lol.... there's a member here that wanted to lower his seat base's.... when he got done it wouldn't come off the trailer.... lag bolted the boat to the bunks...

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I've done this for years so it's probley wrong..;) but I dip the tooth picks in wood glue..then before the glue is dry.. put the screw in... thightens right up... and stays

I allways see people sitting on the back rest of boat seats.....if they watched how they were made..:yikes

That's how I did it in the past but I knew what I was screwing in to. I'm not sure he can tell.

It cracks me up every time I mention the toothpick trick but people are surprised it works. The toothpick can be snapped off and flush with the floor when done.

Heylam

Reaction score
Not sure if it's bolted to the floor or into the stringers as well. I should call Gene first.

I would call Gene like you stated. The fact that they won't tighten and it's a Howard leads me to believe that they are thru bolted and the nut on the backside is just spinning.

Heylam

Reaction score
Toothpics are good.....a wooden golf tee (shove it in and break off the top) is even better. I've been fixing door hinges with these for many years when a screw gets loose :rolleyes

That works, but you have to yell "Fore" before opening the door. Lol

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I use the toothpicks and wood glue or golf tee with wood glue as well. You leave em long, then snap the exposed ends off with a chisel. Works great for hinges or latch plates on doors that need adjusting... sometimes you can't drill a hole right next to the existing hole... so fill it up with a tee, let the glue dry and you have a blank slate to start with. :thumbsup