WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Los Angeles approves new renter protections, including relocation costs for large rent increases

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
The Los Angeles City Council on Tuesday took action against landlords who impose large rent increases on their tenants.

The council approved renter protections that include a stipulation that landlords must pay relocation fees for tenants if they raise rents by 10% or 5% plus inflation.

In those cases, tenants will get three months of rent (the fair-market value as determined by the city’s Housing Department) and $1,411 in moving costs.

DunePilot

Reaction score
In order for property owners to protect themselves against rising costs and laws like this, renters can now expect annual rent increases where there weren't annual raises before the law took effect. The rent increases will be just under amounts that create penalties. Gone are the days where a landlord would leave the rent as is for years.

Sharky

Reaction score
Dear Californians, please don't consider moving to Colorado anymore.

Its already turned into California of the east. We are just 5 years behind.

We have some similar plans moving through our leftist state legislature. Including the removal of pet fees & additional deposits for pets.

My wife can explain first hand what we went through just a couple months ago when we had to find new tenants for one of our rentals. Everyone now days seems to have 3-4 "support animals" That means you can't charge a damage deposit or additional monthly rent for a mut(s) that trashes the place but you paid $40 to some out of state councilor to get a certificate for your "support animal(s)" so you don't have to pay those fees.

There are some "creative" ways around that. . . . . just raise the rent period!!!! For everyone!!! Naturally, liberal progressives will wine that we need to have affordable housing. Guess what dumb asses? You are the ones causing higher prices in the first place you dumb-fucks! Landlords don't pay for your fees & taxes. . . they get passed onto the tenant.

There is another bill moving through the works on evictions. Probably similar to California's.

Sharky

Reaction score
La Housing department gives free classes on how to fuck your landlord.

Gee, I wonder why so many streets in CA (and Denver, Portland, Shitcago, etc, etc) look like this-

I keep being told its because I vote Republican.

iu

xlint89

Reaction score
Government housing = projects = slums.
Not around here. All the slums were demolished and replaced with BRAND NEW town home/condo housing with energy star appliances.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
In order for property owners to protect themselves against rising costs and laws like this, renters can now expect annual rent increases where there weren't annual raises before the law took effect. The rent increases will be just under amounts that create penalties. Gone are the days where a landlord would leave the rent as is for years.

Yep, the government just enabled guaranteed rent increases lol.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Buddy recently dumped a couple rentals he had in So Cal and bought a few single fam dwellings and a small apartment bldg in Ohio....

brgrcru

Reaction score
AND there's free legal aid available too. This is why I zero rentals in CA anymore. One of the best decisions of my life.

Once all the landlords are gone then what? Government housing = projects = slums.
Yep
Me too. Actually don’t own any of that nightmare anymore.

retaocleg

Reaction score
this is how to decontruct america 101..........along with dividing everyone on every conceivable line, race, sex, gender, socio economic, .......our rulers want strife and turmoil..........they want us fighting eachother so when the wheels fall off, we fight eachother, instead of those that caused it.......they can escape out the back door with the loot..........social engineering is killing this country, and they know it..........it is designed