WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Loss of smell

EmpirE231

Reaction score
So my wife is going on about 7-8 months w./ loss of smell due to covid. She says some days seem like she could smell a little bit, and then next day back to nothing. Has anyone experienced this for a long period of time, and regained smell? anything that helped get smell back?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure i had Covid December 2019/January 2020

Certain bushes/trees /fragrances give me a gnarly plastic burning smell. My smell has never been amazing but this program is new...lol

Xring01

Reaction score
A guy I know... its been about 11 months since he had CV19... No sense of smell or taste , barely walk around his house with out getting winded...

Dr's don't think he will get any better than where he is today... Thats not good.

Last edited:

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I had COVID before it was a thing in November 2019, I didn’t get a full blown case just a head cold - I went to the doctor 2 days into and got the pill pack to take for 10 days. I was feeling better after a couple of days, but I lost my sense of smell and taste and figured it was part of my cold. I lost it for almost 2 months, but it’s still not back to 100%, maybe 85-90%. I get weird smells out of nowhere like cigarette smoke or bathroom freshener from government buildings, the cheap institutional smelling stuff. This COVID is weird shit, but I’m still not getting the poke.

PAL

Reaction score
So my wife is going on about 7-8 months w./ loss of smell due to covid. She says some days seem like she could smell a little bit, and then next day back to nothing. Has anyone experienced this for a long period of time, and regained smell? anything that helped get smell back?
I Cooked an Orange over an open flame until it was Black, Peeled it, Ate the Whole Thing and about 15 min I had my Smell Back
Not a Joke some friends said it worked Other said No

EmpirE231

Reaction score
My guy I know... its been about 11 months since he had CV19... No sense of smell or taste , barely walk around his house with out getting winded...

Dr's don't think he will get any better than where he is today... Thats not good.

Crazy... thankfully smell is the only issue she had long term, otherwise back to normal.

River Dirt 2

Brummett 21
Reaction score
My wife lost taste and smell end of October. Pretty much back to normal now.
I did not lose either but sensitive now to allergies that I have not had in 30 years.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure i had Covid December 2019/January 2020

Certain bushes/trees /fragrances give me a gnarly plastic burning smell. My smell has never been amazing but this program is new...lol

lol I don't really mind that her sense of smell is gone... but I'm sure she'd like it back.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
There is some set of oils that supposedly when you sniff them a few times a day it helps. My wife bought them for me when I lost sense of smell but it came back in about 3 weeks so I never used them. I can see if I still have them tonight.

Jakeleft

Reaction score
I Cooked an Orange over an open flame until it was Black, Peeled it, Ate the Whole Thing and about 15 min I had my Smell Back

I saw that on the internet and thought it was a joke I had no clue it would help for real

Javajoe

Reaction score
Just finishing Covid and the wife also. No fever or loss of taste or smell but just felt like crap. Still do really but I’m back to work today 10 days after I showed symptoms. Cough, congestion and tired

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I went several years without a sense of smell, it wasn’t Covid related though. My sinuses were plugged up with polyps (it’s happened my whole life). Have her go see an ENT and get her sinuses checked out.

charlyox

Reaction score
I got the Covid in January and still can’t taste or smell. I get fatigued easily and I have “ brain fog”. I’ll be doing something or talking about something and totally forgot what I was doing. The Doctors I have seen say I just have to ride it out. It really sucks. I haven’t had a drink since New Year’s Eve. I don’t even want to drink. That is how messed up this shit is. 😡

traquer

Reaction score
Just finishing Covid and the wife also. No fever or loss of taste or smell but just felt like crap. Still do really but I’m back to work today 10 days after I showed symptoms. Cough, congestion and tired
I was/am the exact same way. Started with the sniffles and runny nose last Sunday and today (Monday, 8 days later) I'm finally over the sinus pressure and headaches/throat aches and 80% good now. No fever or cough. I will get the PCR test tomorrow as I'm hoping this was it and I'm over it and wasn't just a bad cold.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
It’s these symptoms that make me believe this was some sort of man made biological weapon.. the chemical smells etc.

pretty sure it was as well.... but failed outcome of what they really wanted to accomplish.

Flippindough

Reaction score
Im about a year in for the time I think I had the CO-VED. I still can't really smell, always had a great sniffer too. The "awful" smells all smell the same, shit, dirty apartments ( I own apartment buildings), smoke, filth, vodka etc all smell the exact same. The biggest thing is IN-N-OUT. I feel one could smell that a mile away, until, I'm right next to the store or in drive-thru, absolutely nothing.

Swain

Reaction score
I got it 2 weeks ago back at work today.

My symptoms were body aches and sweats.

I also get tired around 7/8pm and cant stay up much later.

Lost my taste and smell, when I eat something it just tastes very salty.

Reactions: DWC

LBLL

Low Budget Livin' Large
Reaction score
I periodically get the cigarette smoke smell. Got it back in February.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Anyone try dosing up on zinc to bring it back? Ivermectin? etc?

traquer

Reaction score
Anyone try dosing up on zinc to bring it back? Ivermectin? etc?
Thanks for the reminder, I just paid these randoms some money. Let's see if they deliver or if I get ripped off.

ivermectin.JPG

Tom Slick

Reaction score
I had Covid 14 month ago and haven't smelled a fart since. Over all I would say that my smell hasn't really come back. Some days certain things smell intense, when other days I can't smell them at all. For the most part it's like living with fresh air all of the time since a can't smell much.

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
I got the Covid in January and still can’t taste or smell. I get fatigued easily and I have “ brain fog”. I’ll be doing something or talking about something and totally forgot what I was doing. The Doctors I have seen say I just have to ride it out. It really sucks. I haven’t had a drink since New Year’s Eve. I don’t even want to drink. That is how messed up this shit is. 😡
Interesting you mention brain fog because the sense of smell comes from the memory part of the brain were we associate chemical responses from the olfactory system with prior experiences. Nasty fucking virus. Hope it sorts out with you.

2Driver

Reaction score
It’s these symptoms that make me believe this was some sort of man made biological weapon.. the chemical smells etc.

From my readings It takes awhile for a natural move from animals to humans. Where are the herds of animals with covid 19? LOL Yeah it came from a market.

just_floatin

Reaction score
My LHC snowbird neighbors from Washington caught the 2020 covid. Buddies wife still has not fully retained her smell and taste.

dspracing

Reaction score
My dad got COVID in December 2020. Hasn’t smelled a damn thing since. Taste is still a bit off.

the upside, he was a picky eater, now he will eat anything I put in front of him because he can’t sense it anyways.

badgas

Reaction score
That was the oddest symptom for sure. Mine was 100% gone by day 4 and is now like 90%+ back on day 18. At one point things just tasted very salty. Some things like fruit had 10X thier normal flavor. For example I ate orange jello tyhjat tasted like nothing and an hour later a strawberry tasted like the best berry in history and was exploding with flavor.

I have heard people saying it can take several months, hope hers comes back.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Whether from birth or developed later in life, the absence of smell has never gotten much attention — at least until the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. Loss of smell is one of the most common side effects of COVID-19. While most COVID-19 infected patients eventually recover their sense of smell, there are those who have yet to have it return. For an unfortunate few, it turns out that their all-important sense of smell may never return.

Anosmia is the medical term for a complete absence of smell, while hyposmia refers to a partial loss of smell. To better understand anosmia — including its causes, treatments and relationship to COVID-19 — we spoke to rhinologist Raj Sindwani, MD.

The loss of smell
Viruses, ranging from the common cold to COVID-19, are one of the leading causes of an acquired loss of smell. Dr. Sindwani says, “There’s a risk of temporary and, less commonly, permanent loss of smell with any viral infection.”

Short-term loss of smell in this setting is usually from congestion or inflammation in the nose. “Things get swollen and the odors just are not getting to the smell receptors that live high in the nose,” he says. “It happens with the common cold and it frequently happens early in COVID-19 cases as well.”

With longer-term cases, that stretch on for months or even permanently, he says the issue may be damage to the smell receptors or olfactory nerves themselves. “That’s what we think when we look at a CT scan or an MRI and don’t see any physical signs of congestion or appreciable physical change,” he says. “We can’t see the damage on those images, that inability to receive those smells.”

“Depending on what we see or don’t see on examination,” he continues, “we will sometimes do imaging (like a CT scan or even an MRI) to see if there’s anything anatomic that can explain why these smell receptors aren’t working. We will also check to see if there’s anything more sinister going on, like a nose or brain tumor.”

Anosmia and COVID-19
As for viral causes, the loss of smell has become one of the predominant symptoms of positive COVID-19 cases, although the exact cause remains unknown. “We just have the current data to go on,” Dr. Sindwani says, “and we know it’s happened before from viral infections.”

He says that there is a range of data points available but up to 80% of COVID-19 patients experience some sort of subjective disturbance in their sense of smell.

But, for long-term smell loss, that number is actually much smaller. “One study used objective smell testing and found that only 15% of COVID-19 patients experience a loss of smell for more than 60 days and less than 5% experienced it for longer than six months. That’s is really comforting news,” Dr. Sindwani notes.

One more potential wrinkle that deserves more research, he says, is the previously mentioned study which also posited that COVID-19 patients who lose their sense of smell have milder cases than those that don’t. “It was based on retrospective data, but patients who maintained normal smell function were more likely to have a more severe course of the disease, including being more likely to be hospitalized and even intubated,” he says.

Can it be treated?
With post-viral issues – as well as with other occurrences caused by chronic sinusitis, aging, Parkinson’s, trauma and, occasionally, congenital cases – Dr. Sindwani says that steroids, either by mouth or topical nasal steroids, can also work.

“Data is lacking on this, but the thought is that these steroids can reduce inflammation in parts of the nasal cavity or in these smell receptors which are inflamed,” he says.

Nasal polyps and chronic sinusitis (recurrent or persistent sinus infections) are the most common problems, he says, noting there are treatment options, including surgery, for those issues. Whether it’s medication or surgery, there are options. “We treat what we know at first,” says Dr. Sindwani. “If it’s polyps or a sinus tumor, those have their own specific treatments. The loss of smell is actually a symptom of the problem.”

He also notes that, while there’s still plenty of research left to do on anosmia treatment, there’s been recent interest in how consuming omega-3 fatty acids and other supplements could help the sense of smell recover.

Olfactory training for COVID related smell loss
But what if your patients could train themselves to smell again? That’s the thinking behind olfactory training and it would be worth trying even for COVID-related smell loss. “The idea is that it’s an extremely safe, self-driven treatment option with no side effects that’s been helpful, including in post-viral cases of smell loss,” Dr. Sindwani says.

“It utilizes what’s called the odor prism,” he continues. “It uses primary odors to retrain the nose, relying on memory and experience, to train those nerves to come back to life.”

Just as there are primary colors (red, blue and yellow), there are thought to be primary smells and each has a corresponding example that is typically used to represent it: flowery (rose), fruity (lemon), aromatic (cloves or lavender) and resinous (eucalyptus).

“With these four primary smells, we ask the patient to take each smell, usually in the form of an oil or scent stick, put it under their nose and deeply inhale that scent for 15-to-20 seconds,” Dr. Sindwani explains. “And while you’re inhaling, they intentionally try to think about and remember what roses smell like and even look like. They want to mentally immerse themselves in the thought, picture the roses and what they would smell like.”

The idea, he says, is that the patient is combining that visual imagery with the stimulation of an isolated scent to retrain your nose on how to smell.

After going through the process with that flowery scent, the patient repeats the same steps with the other three scents. “Again, you’re trying to conjure up what that object looked like and smelled like to retrain those smell receptors back into working,” he adds.

The exercise is repeated two-to-three times a day for a while and, he says, it’s possible for patients to get a sustained improvement in their sense of smell at three months, six months and even up to a year. In some situations, steroid sprays might be used, too, to cause an even better improvement.

Tooned Up

Reaction score
With the exception of taste, this is me to a T. Now when I say I have taste, I have like a metal taste with everything all the time, the only thing carbonated that I can stand to drink anymore is seltzer water. I too have quit drinking as it just tastes like ass and not any good ass I can promise you. The brain fog is real and I have the most trouble with names. This being said I refuse to buy into any vaccination bullshit. I believe this whole thing was man made and I damn sure am not going to volunteer to inject my body with more of the same shit created from the mother fucker that got us all here to start with.

Buddy

Reaction score
Here's what they recommended
Screenshot_20210809-230310_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
Dr yo and Dr Malone on twitter. They have thoughts and advice

SoCalDave

Reaction score
My wife had covid March 2021 and it was bad for her. She seems to be prone to any sickness big time and it took a toll on her for 3-4 weeks. She still does ot have a sense of smell to most things. I hope it gets bitter for her over time...

Xring01

Reaction score
Did the Drs do an EKG?
That was my red flag. Extreme fatigue and winded.
Several heart nerve pathways grenade'd and they ain't growing back.
But,, my taste and smell came back strong.

This guy is very wealthy.
Best Dr.s money can buy…
I havent asked him.

But I am confident they tried everything.

gqchris

Reaction score
How'd you get that convo going? I didn't chat a word with a doc, just filled out what drugs I wanted lol

Yes I want to get some in case of any issues also. Did you guys just sign up on the app or what? Thanks!

idk

Reaction score
I lost the smell of farts, shit, bo and mildew in january of this year and hasn't come back and some soaps and shampoos smell of a type a berries witch is weird I don't see it changing anytime soon.

instagator

Reaction score
I ate dog shit and the same thing happened !

Buddy

Reaction score
How'd you get that convo going? I didn't chat a word with a doc, just filled out what drugs I wanted lol
I followed all the prompts . Did you put in your address and your pharmacy? Then it linked me with a doc about an hour later

McKay

Reaction score
My smell was a good 4-5 months gone. Coming back slowly. Been 8 months. Lost taste for about a month.

HitIt

Reaction score
I have heard other friends of mine say the same. Freaking crazy.

HitIt

Reaction score
This is the Front Line COVID Critical Care Alliance's take on treating long term effects of COVID including loss of smell. Some interesting info here. Ivermectin is a big part of the treatment.

locogringo

Yo Mama
Reaction score
It it doing a shitty job if it was. Man made, yes.

Not really. Major governmental control, getting Trump out of a 2nd term, shutting down of industries, chaos and fear in the majority, multiple “stimulus packages” to get their stuff passed through hidden packages within it, and on and on.

I’d say they accomplished what they wanted.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Not really. Major governmental control, getting Trump out of a 2nd term, shutting down of industries, chaos and fear in the majority, multiple “stimulus packages” to get their stuff passed through hidden packages within it, and on and on.

I’d say they accomplished what they wanted.
No one could have quite predicted all of this would go down