WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lost a Delta Icon this morning

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Moore's Riverboat burned. No one injured, but a big loss to the commuity.
290926931_5087854897979051_6231317624341823741_n.jpg

T frog

Reaction score
That's sad, lots of good times at that place.

The Capt

Capt. SF fireboat, St. Francis
Reaction score
We were there both Saturday and on the 4th. Food was cheap not great but decent. Hopefully they can build back soon.

Rayson1971

Reaction score
First Lost Isle. Now this. Wow. What's next Tower Park?

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
I got the pics about 6am this morning, this sucks!

Sounds like no injuries, so that is a positive. Will be very interesting if CA lets them rebuild!

Spray-N-Sand

Reaction score
Such a bummer. Shit luck or ? This is the 2nd to go up in flames. Delta is loosing quite a few great spots, Guisti’s, Lost Isle and now Moore’s

LuauLounge

Reaction score
When we bought our weekend place in 2009, down the street from Moore's, there were 4 bar/restaurants within 3 miles on the river. Now, we are down to 1. Unfortunately, I doubt it will reopen. It was a floating barge with a basement. It now sits 6 feet lower.

kimbalee

Reaction score
We have been there many times - most recently last year and it was absolutely terrible. So run down, spider webs everywhere, broken chairs/tables, rickety af wood/splintering docks - could not get a drink or food to save our lives. After we docked the boat and waited at a table for about 25 minutes we bounced. It was as dry as a matchstick - I'm surprised it took more than 5 minutes to burn. Used to be a fabulous stop on the Delta but hasn't been for a while. We've been going to the Delta since the Outrigger was cool - now it's hard to even find a beer/lunch on the water.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
First Lost Isle. Now this. Wow. What's next Tower Park?

There was a fire at tower park a few years ago. I don't know remember how much damage was done to the restaurant and bar. I think it was closed at the time, changing it to what it is now. The building next to it sustained the most damage.

Also Guisti's burnt to the ground 1 or 2 years ago.

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
Very sad to see, I’ve lost track of how much time spent there. Always one of my favorites due to the long boat ride. During the winter we would just drive out for lunch.

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
We were there Sunday for some food and drinks. Our group is pretty bummed out seeing this. We had a great time there.

Pic from Sunday. View attachment 1133555

Looks like you guys had a great time, my apologies for not responding last week. I would have been happy to show you guys around the Delta more. Last August we sold our Howard due to my wife’s health. I’ll shoot you a PM later today. Remember on the DLB run right in front of Moore’s is where my friend’s boat broke down and I think your drive was giving you trouble.

Ray

bocco

Reaction score
We have been there many times - most recently last year and it was absolutely terrible. So run down, spider webs everywhere, broken chairs/tables, rickety af wood/splintering docks - could not get a drink or food to save our lives. After we docked the boat and waited at a table for about 25 minutes we bounced. It was as dry as a matchstick - I'm surprised it took more than 5 minutes to burn. Used to be a fabulous stop on the Delta but hasn't been for a while. We've been going to the Delta since the Outrigger was cool - now it's hard to even find a beer/lunch on the water.
Agreed. Last 2 times we were there the food was horrible. Also they needed to dredge out the dock area. I churned up a lot of mud getting out of there.

We eat at Orwood or Sugar Barge. Rusty Porthole has been an entertaining dive bar.

Windmill cove is OK for a beer but I wouldn't eat there unless they have the BBQ trailer there.

Nina's in Stockton has been OK Mexican food.

bocco

Reaction score
Agreed. Last 2 times we were there the food was horrible. Also they needed to dredge out the dock area. I churned up a lot of mud getting out of there.

We eat at Orwood or Sugar Barge. Rusty Porthole has been an entertaining dive bar.

Windmill cove is OK for a beer but I wouldn't eat there unless they have the BBQ trailer there.

Union Point is acceptable.

Didn't Wimpey's close?

renodaytona

Reaction score
Our group enjoyed some appetizers, and the frozen Mai tai's were tasty. glad we were able to go, bummed we will probably never see it back.

@Bullet28 yes that is where my drive issue developed so we never even docked. I was glad to take my group and we liked the place. We had more issues getting to rusty porthole due to the seaweed.

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
CD713E1C-0C0A-4C98-8417-FC44B8E699A9.png
Our group enjoyed some appetizers, and the frozen Mai tai's were tasty. glad we were able to go, bummed we will probably never see it back.

@Bullet28 yes that is where my drive issue developed so we never even docked. I was glad to take my group and we liked the place. We had more issues getting to rusty porthole due to the seaweed.

I thought you remembered it was in front of Moore’s, all those places are cool on the Delta. What a place to go boating. See you Saturday.

Last edited:

707dog

Reaction score

agree with all that...

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
We would always run to The Point in Rio Vista several times a year and also many times a year to Old Sac. And also we always liked Orwood and the restaurant at Discovery Bay, Garlic Brothers is good and Bob’s Burger next door. You just have to explore the Delta. The farther out you go the better it gets.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Knew Ken the son in law of the Moore’s boat repair and Original Riverboat. Restaurant was a small freighter originally and then replaced by the floating Catfish Cafe out of Stockton in the late 90s as I recall.
First went to the original Riverboat in 1969 after my Dad pulled me waterskiing for 10 miles to get there.
The original Riverboat ended up at Bethel Island as a yacht club.

kimbalee

Reaction score

YESS - we stayed at Orwood last year - it was awsm. Never made it to Rusty Porthole tho' - we perched our lavey in the mud en route to Benicia & that whole area seemed to be really shallow if u veered out of the shipping lanes. Will make a plan next time tho. Windmill Cove was also a dive but seemed to be because they couldn't get staff. Will also check out Nina's - we used to love Guisti's which is now gone too but we also venture up to old town Sac which is a good day trip too. Glad to hear Rosa's at TP has been renovated - it needed it. The campground there was awful the last time we were there after KOA took it over - huge groups of ghetto locals streaming in from Stockton for family reunion cookouts - you know how those always end up. It was a poop show. No thanks. Tiki Lagoon is also a cool stop. Hope there are some more lunch/cocktail spots opening soon.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
YESS - we stayed at Orwood last year - it was awsm. Never made it to Rusty Porthole tho' - we perched our lavey in the mud en route to Benicia & that whole area seemed to be really shallow if u veered out of the shipping lanes. Will make a plan next time tho. Windmill Cove was also a dive but seemed to be because they couldn't get staff. Will also check out Nina's - we used to love Guisti's which is now gone too but we also venture up to old town Sac which is a good day trip too. Glad to hear Rosa's at TP has been renovated - it needed it. The campground there was awful the last time we were there after KOA took it over - huge groups of ghetto locals streaming in from Stockton for family reunion cookouts - you know how those always end up. It was a poop show. No thanks. Tiki Lagoon is also a cool stop. Hope there are some more lunch/cocktail spots opening soon.
Rosa's is no more. When the redid it, it changed to more of a restaurant than a bar. I think it is called Tower Park Waterfront Grill now.

Tiki opened a nice outdoor seating area for food and drinks.

Windmill Cove is old, but they do a lot of BBQ, added shade structures on the grass, and switched from Hip Hop DJ's to classic rock cover bands. The ghetto crowd followed Rich when he left. He was running Tiki Lagoon, and was running Moore's Riverboat for the last few years.

kimbalee

Reaction score
Rosa's is no more. When the redid it, it changed to more of a restaurant than a bar. I think it is called Tower Park Waterfront Grill now.

Tiki opened a nice outdoor seating area for food and drinks.

Windmill Cove is old, but they do a lot of BBQ, added shade structures on the grass, and switched from Hip Hop DJ's to classic rock cover bands. The ghetto crowd followed Rich when he left. He was running Tiki Lagoon, and was running Moore's Riverboat for the last few years.
oh wow good to know. Ty for the updates. Am assuming Lori still owns Orwood - she runs a tight ship & the food & cocktails there are excellent.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
oh wow good to know. Ty for the updates. Am assuming Lori still owns Orwood - she runs a tight ship & the food & cocktails there are excellent.
As far as I know, Lori still runs Orwood. I have only been there once in the last couple years, as my boat has been broke. The food and drink are Orwood is always great.

renodaytona

Reaction score
I saw on the DLB Facebook page that someone said Moore's is going to rebuild.

We did Garilc Brothers, Nina's, Orwood, Moore's and Rusty Porthole on our recent visits. Being that you can boat to them was a new experience for most everyone on the trips, there had no complaints just complements on service food and quality (level of alcohol) of beverages.

rebelmark75

Reaction score
In 15 years the Delta will be pretty much finished with bars and restaurants. I lived in Disco. The problem with these dilapidated establishments is they cannot get permits to upgrade due to the crazy whack job environmentalists. Windmill is a dump, the Bethel Island spots are in decline, Guistis is gone….suspicious fire. Tiki is ok but still pretty dumpy. Union Point was the best but has been closed since Covid and now in a legal battle with Cla Trans. Disco Bay marina is nice but the idiot running the restaurant screwed it up bad. Orwood is nice. Glad we moved to AZ. Havasu and Parker are worlds above the Delta. Ski Beach is trashy with white trash speed boats and wake tractors. I have a lot of friends there and miss them but I would never move back.

707dog

Reaction score
In 15 years the Delta will be pretty much finished with bars and restaurants. I lived in Disco. The problem with these dilapidated establishments is they cannot get permits to upgrade due to the crazy whack job environmentalists. Windmill is a dump, the Bethel Island spots are in decline, Guistis is gone….suspicious fire. Tiki is ok but still pretty dumpy. Union Point was the best but has been closed since Covid and now in a legal battle with Cla Trans. Disco Bay marina is nice but the idiot running the restaurant screwed it up bad. Orwood is nice. Glad we moved to AZ. Havasu and Parker are worlds above the Delta. Ski Beach is trashy with white trash speed boats and wake tractors. I have a lot of friends there and miss them but I would never move back.
Agree they will be slowly start falling off the map the permits for these places are almost impossible to do any upgrades or additions its a common issuei hear thrown around when the restaurant topics are brought up. orwood and union point are the better ones their breakfast, burgers and drinks were on point. windmill is trying their best he has cleaned it up big time and brings in a more older crowd with very good bands, we will be partying there labor day weekend. i personally miss the cocktail stop at the old high elbow Outrigger on our way up the walnut grove grab some pizza at factory pizza for lunch or guisti's sneak over to wimpys and then cruise on back

rebelmark75

Reaction score

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
An arrest was made for the arson fire at Moores Riverboat. Another man is wanted also.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Sad indeed, as a kid growing up on Bethel Island would take dads little outboard over to Moore’s Riverboat for a Coke. Would have been around 1967 when I was 12. The original Riverboat freighter not the purpose build old CatFish Cafe that replaced it.

Also would cruise over to Sugar Barge when it was an old sugar barge not the current purpose build fancy digs.

Last one, would water ski from Bethel Island to Discovery Bay Sales Office when they started developing and selling lots for free hot dogs. 1974 as I recall.

Wouldn’t trade growing up and living on the Delta for anything. Would go water skiing every day after getting home from school during the Summer. Another time and another place for sure.

Last edited:

707dog

Reaction score
Sad indeed, as a kid growing up on Bethel Island would take dads little outboard over to Moore’s Riverboat for a Coke. Would have been around 1967 when I was 12. The original Riverboat freighter not the purpose build old CatFish Cafe that replaced it.

Also would cruise over to Sugar Barge when it was an old sugar barge not the current purpose build fancy digs.

Last one, would water ski from Bethel Island to Discovery Bay Sales Office when they started developing and selling lots for free hot dogs. 1974 as I recall.

Wouldn’t trade growing up and living on the Delta for anything. Would go water skiing every day after getting home from school during the Summer. Another time and another place for sure.
did you grow up with the Sherman brothers? they have told me some similar awesome stories of the delta and surrounding areas. definitely a better time and place for the delta

bocco

Reaction score
I think that the only way Lost Isle can rebuild is if they actually built a bridge for fire and law enforcement access. I think the point above about most of the cool dive places being out of code and unable to make improvements is correct.

Early this year I launched at Holland Riverside for test run after doing a valve job. Stopped at Sugar Barge for lunch and couldn't get a drink because the bar was flooded. We had to go to the RV park to go to the bathroom.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Yes sir Bob and Steve
Didn’t know them super well as they were a few years older than me. Was thinking they lived on Taylor Road in the day however?
Bethel Island has always been a little on the rough side. Most everyone I grew up with didn’t do so well between drugs and the wrong end of the law.
Don’t know how well you know Bethel Island but a little more nostalgia. The now junky Bethel Market (originally Bills) was new when I was a kid with a full time butcher and meat counter, produce section, etc.
Was at least 3 new boat dealers at the bridge and probably that many houseboat rental places. All gone now. In fact my first job was cleaning rental houseboats up after being returned at Leisure Landing. Had a fleet of about 20.
Ok one more…There was a very large advertisement billboard on the corner of highway 4 and Bethel Island Road right as you crossed the rail road tracks. Totally early 60s cool with a cabin cruiser pulling a girl on water skis and a arrow pointing towards Bethel Island. Unfortunately was gone by the early 70s upon building a gas station.

I need to dig out pictures from my time there going back to the 60s as a kid and post. Here’s a crappy one of my first house sometime in the 80s on Sandmound before moving to Discovery Bay.
Just for fun I paid 300K for a house in Discovery Bay on the point going towards the marina in 1989. Moved to Havasu in 2006 selling that house well into the 7 figures.
For those who don’t know the Discovery Bay development went bankrupt at one time in the 70s was just too expensive.
B8884E1D-7CE9-4B6A-81D9-01363EE3458F.jpeg

DA6074FC-AB19-4D93-905D-785C7E044916.jpeg

Last edited: