WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lost a great man today!!

wet hull

Reaction score
Today the call we have dreaded came in. My father in law got Covid 4 weeks ago and was admitted to Palomar Hospital within days. Been on a ventilator for 3 weeks and finally he lost his fight. 65 yrs old a no underlying conditions. I am as right as they get, we have all been anti mask and a mask wouldn't have changed this outcome. Hard to imagine not being invincible, but we all cross that line someday.
He was my 6 year old daughters best friend. He was my whiskey drinking friend. Amazing father to my wife. He and my mother in law have survived so much and to end this way is devastating.
Small back story on him. He and my mother in law are Laotian. He was a very affluent member of the country and when government was over thrown in 1980 both my mother in law pregnant with my wife and him had to swim across river into Thailand in middle of night. Mother in law cant swim, where they gave birth to my wife in a camp. They were eventually given the opportunity to go to France or USA. He spoke no English but fluent in French, education didn't roll over to US but he agreed on US because my mother in law had family here already that got sponsored. They have struggled every day but provided a hell of a life for my wife growing up. Learned English and worked his ass off everyday and was retiring this year. One of his greatest stories over some Black Label was about him going to bars in Loas by helicopter with his pet monkey. Many other awesome stories like this. This man will be forever missed!! Next bit is when I pick my daughter up from school in a few hours, how do you tell a 6 year old her best friend is gone. Some ice cream will definitely be involved. Feels good to write this out on the boards.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Very sad to hear this, and I am very sorry for your family's loss.

RichL

Reaction score
Very sorry for your loss. Condolences to the family.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Sorry to read about your loss, find peace, carry his dignity, pride and integrity. Don’t leave his legacy behind. Thoughts and prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
The good ones always go too soon. Should have infected all the kid touchers, rapists, murderers, and let them meet the maker on the express lane!

riverroyal

Reaction score
sorry man. Tonight IF i watch the news and they report CV deaths in SD it will have a actually meaning. Ive been watching for almost a year now and yes we all think we are invincible.
Great hospital also.
RIP.
Hang in there.

rickym20

Reaction score
Really sorry for your Loss , too young and tough one with the lives he touched. Sounds like a great man/ grandfather and will bring you smiles at a later date thinking back of some of those stories.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Dude, sorry. My daughter was that age when my Mom passed. I can tell you from experience it crushed her.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
It is stories like this that convinced me to swallow my pride and get the "Vid" shot. My condolences to you and your family.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
So sorry to read this and so sorry for your loss. RIP.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Very very sad story but the way you describe him he was quite a man...quite a grandfather and father...RIP sir...and he does deserve to be called sir...

236eagledave

Reaction score
Very sorry for your loss. Sounds like one hell of a good man!

Singleton

Reaction score
RIP
Sounds like a great man taken too early

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Sorry for your familys loss. ☹

Jay Dub

Reaction score
I am sorry for your loss. He sounds like a heck of a man. RIP

wet hull

Reaction score
60039.jpeg Me and my brother im law, my wife and her sister. My daughter always getting in on the pics. Blue Label does give one hell of a hang over. Almost puked next day at jobwalk but that was his birthday and we were determined to find bottom of the bottle. Thank you for all the kind words.
60039.jpeg
60046.jpeg
60048.jpeg
60044.jpeg

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. Reading your story of him paints a great picture of the great man he was. Through a all of his trials and tribulations, he persevered... And still had enough to be a good friend and father in law to you. A awesome grandfather. And an amazing family man who wasn't afraid to enjoy life.
RIP.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, he sounded like an awesome guy. May he Rest In Peace.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
So sorry to hear of this challenging time for your family. Thanks for the stories of your father in law. Sounds like a great man that continued to rise above anything that was thrown at him. Just keep telling the stories for your daughter. 👍

poncho

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss for sure. One of my first real jobs was for a guy with a similar story as your Father-in-Law, left a thriving furniture factory in the middle of the night.
This was in the 70's and the war wounds were pretty fresh, he was a small man but a giant in heart and soul, truly enjoyed working for him and being around his family......RIP to Your friend.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Very sorry for your families loss.
As a father, I know what it's like to have to tell your kids...my kids have lost all their grandparents.
As a son, I know how it is to lose a parent.

Remember the past, the legacy. Bring your daughter up in a way that still keeps that man proud.

RVRKID

Reaction score
Having an almost 9 year old that can't wait to play football and hanging out with his Grandpa that's a rough read, so sorry for your loss.

TBulger

Reaction score
Geez, so sorry this happened, he looks like a great person.

dezrtracer

Reaction score
So sorry for your loss . Sounds like he was a awesome guy and will be dearly missed .

cole_skier

Reaction score
So sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-rated

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss Jeremy!! May he RIP.

Joker

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your Father In Laws passing. As you stated, it's real tough when the kids are attached to their grandparents who took them in as if they were their own and let them do the things you as parents wouldn't.

C-2

Reaction score
Man those pics are heartbreaking. It's amazing to hear about the hurdles he overcame to experience freedom; thanks for sharing his journey.

Godspeed to your FIL on his next journey, and sorry for your family's loss.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
So sorry to hear bud, Katherine and i send well wishes to you and Villy, if you need anything we can help with let us know.