WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lost My Hero

rickym20

Reaction score
Dm Fish.jpeg

Hello RDP,
This past Friday our Family lost our Dad . He was working on a project at his home Friday where did not overcome an Heart Attack. I would always communicate what was happening around his town from the multiple threads on the site. He really enjoyed some of the stories I would share with him and some of the knowledge shared. In this picture he was wearing one of the two different hats he would wear around town. He was proud to wear it , he had a couple fishing pins attached to it that meant a lot to him as well. Going through his things these past few days it is one of the keepsakes I will hang onto.
He did leave behind my step Mom and we are in Havasu for a few weeks to help her through it and get on her feet. Once we can get some titles transferred over to his wifes name we will list a couple things for sale that will help produce some money for his wife. If anyone is interested in a 27 ft 5th wheel attitude toyhauler let me know. I will post it in the near future once we transfer the Title. Thank you guys for hearing me out. writing this does help the emotions that come along with losing your best friend.
a.jpg
c.jpg
q.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Sorry the loss of your hero and best friend. It's a strange hole in your life when your parents leave you. Takes awhile to get over it...

Best wishes to you and your clan!

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about your father. Hold on to those memories and pass them along to your children and be the example he was to you. Hang in there bud!

ridebig

Reaction score
RIP Dad. So sorry for your loss. My Dad has been gone several years. I still miss him everyday.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
Sorry to hear.
My father passed away 7 years ago and I think of things often that I wish I'd been able to ask him about.
I'm happy though to see you refer to him as the family hero. Not all fathers get to be public hero's but they all damn sure should be family hero's. Too dang many aren't.
Do your best to continue that tradition.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am really sorry for your loss, and I am humbled by your words regarding his hat.

Let me know if you need anything while your in town. I lost my dad ten years ago and understand what it’s like to have the rug pulled out from underneath you.

4Waters

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, I'm dreading the day mine is gone but I try to enjoy the days I still have.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I know where you stand, and it hurts. It doesn't get easier, but will get better. I promise.
I lost my Pops 12 years ago. Not a day passes I don't think of him.

Be thankful for what time you shared.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. Lost mine 13 years ago and this was the first year I made it passed the anniversary without feeling down. It will get better, but it still sucks!

rickym20

Reaction score
Thank you All for the support, Definitely fortunate to have had a great relationship with My Dad and shared a lot of Great memories with. He will Live on just as many of your Dads have lived on within you guys. I'm glad he got to enjoy a little bit of retirement out here in Havasu. Even when it hit 120's plus or the windy cold days , he just loved it out here. One day we will meet again and enjoy some fishing together. We had a great relationship but he had an even better relationship with his Grandkids which makes me smile even more.

I am guilty of this myself but another reminder for you guys that are in the same boat as us please get a living trust or will completed. Dealing with the grieving side of things is one thing but dealing with Titles and other things without it is going to be a challenge in itself. Luckily for us we as kids were all in agreement on what needs to happen and who will take on what rolls going forward but if we didn't get along it would be tough. My Dad was 62 years old and thought he would be around longer then he did so he kept pushing it off.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Time does make it easier, but you never forget.

My wife and I are both orphans now. Hard to lose a parent.

The foresight to put together a trust, or at a minimum a will is prudent. My dad even made a "When I'm Gone Book" it had instructions on what to do, where accounts were and all the documentation for everything.

Last edited:

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my dad without warning in 2010, he passed in his sleep at 54. I still miss him every day! Remember him for how he was and make him proud.

rickym20

Reaction score
I am really sorry for your loss, and I am humbled by your words regarding his hat.

Let me know if you need anything while your in town. I lost my dad ten years ago and understand what it’s like to have the rug pulled out from underneath you.

He had one hat for work around the house and boating (in picture) and he had another for his dress up Hat lol. Also finding RDP stickers put on things around his garage. You have a good thing going Dave. Thank you

rickym20

Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my dad without warning in 2010, he passed in his sleep at 54. I still miss him every day! Remember him for how he was and make him proud.

Sorry to hear man, 54 is young and makes it tough.

brownsuger

Reaction score
Time does make it easier, but you never forget.

My wife and I are both orphans now. Hard to lose a parent.

The foresight to put together a trust, or at a minimum a will is prudent. My dad even made a "Death Book" it had instructions on what to do, where accounts were and all the documentation for everything.

I agree with everything you said.... my dad passed in '07 and my mom in '17. Fortunately we had my moms things in order and closing her estate was pretty seamless. Now she didn't have much, but still....

Now my cousins on the other hand are dealing with the biggest mess I've ever seen. My uncle (who was worth north of 100 mil) did not tell his daughters where his money was at or what he had... He's been gone over a year and they are still finding accounts or property that he owned.... Now I'm all for being secretive, but he took it to a new level and my cousins are paying for it....

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread

rickym20

Reaction score
I agree with everything you said.... my dad passed in '07 and my mom in '17. Fortunately we had my moms things in order and closing her estate was pretty seamless. Now she didn't have much, but still....

Now my cousins on the other hand are dealing with the biggest mess I've ever seen. My uncle (who was worth north of 100 mil) did not tell his daughters where his money was at or what he had... He's been gone over a year and they are still finding accounts or property that he owned.... Now I'm all for being secretive, but he took it to a new level and my cousins are paying for it....

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread

I'm glad this is being talked about, I'm sure i share the same issue with most Men on this sight where we think nothing can happen to us and think ill get to it later. I need to change that way of thinking. What you describe your cousins going through does sound like a mess , what little my Dad had without a Will or trust will have us going through the probate process. He was the only one on Title of house and vehicles. My step Mom and siblings are in agreement what needs to happen so it makes it easier but still have some hoops to jump through.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
After 10 years of strongly suggesting that my parents do a trust, finally talked them into doing it. We had an attorney that we knew both professionally and personally, called and a week later, done. My father had a heart attack 10 days later and passed. My mother died 5 years later and all was taken care of with no issues. Fortunately, my sister and I were in agreement on everything, even if we were not, all was spelled out.

HBCraig

Reaction score
My condolences

Godspeed to your Dad

From the pic, he was also a hell of a fisherman

riverroyal

Reaction score
Sorry....it gets easier but...there are moments you cant shake the thoughts. Mine always come in traffic.
Plenty of great guys here to talk with when you need a ear.

mbrown2

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. It has been 26yrs since losing my dad and think about every time we are at the river as that is where he enjoyed most. It is nice you guys got to share the river and the stories of it via this site. Take care and be strong for the rest of your family.

havasu5150

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. He wasn't much older than me. Need to get a trust set up myself.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
I'm very sorry for your loss. We lost our father a year ago yesterday to a hard fought battle with cancer. Talk about your father with siblings and friends often. It helps and it keeps his memory alive.

Cole Brewed

Reaction score
Consider the Warning Shot........

Some of our loved ones never get a Warning Shot. October 18th, 2018, I got the call. One of my very best, bury a body, friends in life is, gone.

Not a thread hijack, the lump in my throat swelled the further I got into,

https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/lost-my-hero.209485/

@rickym20, truly saddened for the loss your hero, and all of the subsequent members in the thread.

As I read through, I felt compelled to share this. I got the call from my friend’s 19 y/o daughter, her dad passed. He was 48. He also left behind 16 y/o son and daughter, twins. They all lost their role model, provider, confidant, teacher, greatest fan, and hero. I would have never thought that October 4, 2018 at Windsor parking lot would have been the last hug.

We met at our first t-ball Team first practice, 1976. Went through all school together. Always stayed in very close contact with frequent visits shared. He wouldn’t leave So Cal. His life was there, I left, relocated to Colorado River.

He had assets, valuables, a lot of stuff that was valuable to him, combinations to safes, etc....Unfortunately for his children, he did not have a trust, will, or any notes left on a napkin in the kitchen.
His heart was his greatest asset by far! This man was the most loving, giving, and thoughtful man a best friend could have. Though his heart failed, he touched thousands of hearts, and some many hearts broke on that October day.
As my eyes well up while writing this, I am glad that I got all the years I had with my friend. As we enter this holiday season many of us give thanks for what we have and recognize those we lost. I too am giving thanks for what I have, Including the Warning Shot, though I will always give thanks for what I had!

RIP Jayson

rickym20

Reaction score
Consider the Warning Shot........

Some of our loved ones never get a Warning Shot. October 18th, 2018, I got the call. One of my very best, bury a body, friends in life is, gone.

Not a thread hijack, the lump in my throat swelled the further I got into,

https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/lost-my-hero.209485/

@rickym20, truly saddened for the loss your hero, and all of the subsequent members in the thread.

As I read through, I felt compelled to share this. I got the call from my friend’s 19 y/o daughter, her dad passed. He was 48. He also left behind 16 y/o son and daughter, twins. They all lost their role model, provider, confidant, teacher, greatest fan, and hero. I would have never thought that October 4, 2018 at Windsor parking lot would have been the last hug.

We met at our first t-ball Team first practice, 1976. Went through all school together. Always stayed in very close contact with frequent visits shared. He wouldn’t leave So Cal. His life was there, I left, relocated to Colorado River.

He had assets, valuables, a lot of stuff that was valuable to him, combinations to safes, etc....Unfortunately for his children, he did not have a trust, will, or any notes left on a napkin in the kitchen.
His heart was his greatest asset by far! This man was the most loving, giving, and thoughtful man a best friend could have. Though his heart failed, he touched thousands of hearts, and some many hearts broke on that October day.
As my eyes well up while writing this, I am glad that I got all the years I had with my friend. As we enter this holiday season many of us give thanks for what we have and recognize those we lost. I too am giving thanks for what I have, Including the Warning Shot, though I will always give thanks for what I had!

RIP Jayson

Thank you for sharing Cole Brewed,
It definitely hits home hearing how your best friend touched many lives. As the days go on we are getting stories from others he has helped that we had no Idea about. As with the members who lost loved ones move on to the next chapter , we will always keep the memories we had alive.

Lucky Larry

Reaction score
Your post brought tears to my eyes. Just passed the dates for our dads, Larry’s has been gone 10 yrs. and I lost my dad 29 yrs. ago. We still miss them. My sympathies on your loss.

Honor him every day by being the best man you can be. Be a good man, a good brother, a good husband, a good father, a good friend, a good neighbor, all that apply.

Kudos to you for helping your step-mom.

May all of your memories of your hero help you through the tough times. ✝️

“Lucky’s Wife”