WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lost Speedways

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Yes on NBC's streaming app Peacock. Hosted by Dale Jr.

450grip

Reaction score
Ontario motor speedway...inland empire Blvd and Millikan still have the curves to accommodate the turns on the rack

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Grew up going to Saugus Speedway, so many great memories there. Saw one of the first Craftsman truck races there and got an autographed poster from Ron Hornaday.

Just downloaded the Peacock App for free and the Lost Speedways show is included for free.

Watching now, super cool. Thanks for sharing [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Went to his house a few times over the years with my uncle. He lived near Devonshire Downs.

Grew up going to Saugus Speedway, so many great memories there. Saw one of the first Craftsman truck races there and got an autographed poster from Ron Hornaday.

Just downloaded the Peacock App for free and the Lost Speedways show is included for free.

Watching now, super cool. Thanks for sharing [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Went to Riverside a few times now house’s and stores
Went there many times. Our service manager raced scca there often.
Ran the course several times myself too.
Screenshot_20200726-121348_Google.jpg

Turn 6 and its big wall was always the great spectators seat, tons of rubbin' leading into it.
Now the stupid Moreno Valley Mall sits on much of it. Pretty sure the last time driving by on the 60 the original RIR sign skeleton was still standing.
Screenshot_20200726-120503_Google.jpg

Great Wikipedia link below.
Riverside International Raceway

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
View attachment 902833
Turn 6 and its big wall was always the great spectators seat, tons of rubbin' leading into it.
Now the stupid Moreno Valley Mall sits on much of it. Pretty sure the last time driving by on the 60 the original RIR sign skeleton was still standing.
View attachment 902832
We went to off-road races at RS also

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
Mesa Marin in Bakersfield. Raced there late 80’s. Badass 1/2 mile. Ran Southwest Tour back when Kevin Harvik. Hornaday. And a few other guys that moved on to be big boys. Like others it’s houses now. We drive by it every time going to races at Ming now.
Also Altamont speedway up north.

C Ya

Reaction score
The way things are going at Laguna Seca it wouldn’t surprise me to see that track close in the next 5 years...

old rigger

Reaction score
Went to Riverside a few times now house’s and stores

Raced my one and only motorcycle race there in I think '73, The Great Bear Gran Prix. Half on asphalt and half in the dirt, we got to run under the famous overpass. My friends and I drove my '56 ford pickup out there and spent the night, I was 17 the others 15 and 16. I got T boned in the left knee by another rider who got out of shape. Finished the race but ended up having surgery.

1 and done.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Damn, I was born too late. Lost many of these tracks before I was driving at all. Some before I was around. I'm a straight line kind of guy. I'd love to run at Lions, or the old Irwindale.

One2go

Reaction score
Irwidale Friday night motocross,every week. Went to few drag races there as well.Now a miller brewing plant.

charred1

Reaction score
El Cajon speedway “ The fastest 3/8 mile on the west coast “👍
Cajon Speedway....grew up going to races there on Saturday nights.
Before Cajon Speedway, there was Balboa Stadium in downtown San Diego. My grandfather use to race there in the mid to late 50’s.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
View attachment 902833
View attachment 902832
I tried to buy those sign parts when they took it down ,they wouldn't sell.

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
Mesa Marin in Bakersfield. Raced there late 80’s. Badass 1/2 mile. Ran Southwest Tour back when Kevin Harvik. Hornaday. And a few other guys that moved on to be big boys. Like others it’s houses now. We drive by it every time going to races at Ming now.
Also Altamont speedway up north.
What team were you with? We ran the southwest tour and crewed for Hornady as well. Between 1995 and 1998.

C-2

Reaction score
We were in the Petty fan club and paraded our Plymouth GTX around RIR several times and were there for every stock car race. Went to Ontario all the time, and on weekends, pops would get blasted out of his mind and take us to Corona Raceway to watch all the local talent. Then, us kids would make him take us to Corona Raceway to ride BMX. BMX before it became popular...I remember when the first Aluminum anodized rims came out. We were poor, so we painted our rims red, gold etc lol

C-2

Reaction score
View attachment 902833
View attachment 902832

Yup, as a boy I remember sitting on the dirt hillside at turn 6 and a guy named Spencer kissed the wall/barrier before the turn - and died. Couldn't believe it, the crash didn't look bad ta all, kind of like the Earnhardt crash.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Yup, as a boy I remember sitting on the dirt hillside at turn 6 and a guy named Spencer kissed the wall/barrier before the turn - and died. Couldn't believe it, the crash didn't look bad ta all, kind of like the Earnhardt crash.
That wiki link I posted has or another attached to it has a list of all fatalities at the raceway, including one spectator.
What a fun track to learn on though. I thought I was doing pretty well until the Skip Barber instructors took me on a few "hot laps". 😊😊 Sure learn a lot during those hot laps.🙂

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Irwidale Friday night motocross,every week. Went to few drag races there as well.Now a miller brewing plant.
We raced many a Friday night at Iwindale. The Messer brothers were Kings out there in the mid 70's.

boatdoc55

Reaction score
Raced my one and only motorcycle race there in I think '73, The Great Bear Gran Prix. Half on asphalt and half in the dirt, we got to run under the famous overpass. My friends and I drove my '56 ford pickup out there and spent the night, I was 17 the others 15 and 16. I got T boned in the left knee by another rider who got out of shape. Finished the race but ended up having surgery.

1 and done.
My brother and I raced that one. Boy, there was a shit ton of riders that year.

boatdoc55

Reaction score
Corona raceway is now Home Depot
Rex Staten was unbeatable out there in the MotoX races. Best friend broke the shit out of his leg on that whoopy downhill on the MotoX track

rrrr

Reaction score
Check out this old film of the 1964 Riverside 500. Dan Gurney won the race. Those Fords and Pontiacs weighed around 3,500 lbs. Take a look at the body roll and sliding as they go through the corners. The green flag is dropped around the 13:30 mark.

You had to be a real man to handle those pigs. There weren't any 18 year old 145 lb rich boy Riley Herbsts running Riverside.

:D :D

Last edited:

boatnam2

Reaction score
Local motocross tracks you could race that have closed in my time, wed night ascot, thru irwindale or ocir, Friday night Indian dunes Saturday saddleback, Sunday Carlsbad or Indian dunes or terminal island.

beerrun

Reaction score
speedway 117 in san Diego wensday night motocross Saturday night dirt track

checkrd past

Reaction score
Local motocross tracks you could race that have closed in my time, wed night ascot, thru irwindale or ocir, Friday night Indian dunes Saturday saddleback, Sunday Carlsbad or Indian dunes or terminal island.

Ah yes ,Indian Dunes

westair

Reaction score
Check out this old film of the 1964 Riverside 500. Dan Gurney won the race. Those Fords and Pontiacs weighed around 3,500 lbs. Take a look at the body roll and sliding as they go through the corners. The green flag is dropped around the 13:30 mark.

You had to be a real man to handle those pigs. There weren't any 18 year old 145 lb rich boy Riley Herbsts running Riverside.

:D :D
with no power steering! .... a long day for those drivers. Cool video! .... love the nascar official inspecting the cars .... check for cu in, roll bars, safety harness and any aluminum for weight advantage ..... then you were good to go!👍

boatnam2

Reaction score
Ah yes ,Indian Dunes
Remember all the tracks they had? 2motocross tracks, TT track, huge free riding, could jump into the river, speedway track(tried that on motocross bike lol) hell even see ole dukes of hazard jump it.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
MX for me..
Escape Country, Saddleback, OCIR (Wednesday), Corona (Friday), Irwindale (Thursday).....