WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LOTO drive time?

sirbob

Reaction score
Anybody towed a boat from Havasu to LOTO?

What is the actual drive time? Did you stop for an over night? Where?

If you had one day to drop the boat in while driving through LOTO area - where would you stay boat for 1 day?

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 10.24.15 AM.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: DWC

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
22.15 hours towing at overall average of 65 mph

waiting for someone to inject how they dont tow at 65 and dont understand how overall average speeds work lol

RichL

Reaction score
On my return trips from LHC to Ohio in the 3500, but not towing, we typically stopped in Santa Rosa NM the first night and somewhere around OKC or Tulsa on the second night. I normally drive over the limit but not crazy, so faster than I would tow. FWIW my neck and back make it very hard to go more than 9-10 hrs in a day and usually stop every few hours for 10-15 minutes to stretch and straighten out. Don't know if this helps.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
22 hours towing at overall average of 65 mph

waiting for someone to inject how they dont tow at 65 and dont understand how overall average speeds work lol
what if you tow at 70-75?

Shakes head, average speed includes your stop, for you to have an average speed of 75 mph over 1440 miles, you would need to be towing at like 85-90 mph the whole time lol.

DWC

Reaction score
Shakes head, average speed includes your stop, for you to have an average speed of 75 mph over 1440 miles, you would need to be towing at like 85-90 mph the whole time lol.
Knowing Ian, that was in his calculation

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I have done PHX to Iowa multiple times with a toyhauler, following I40 from FLG to OK City where I pick up I35.

Speed limit is 75, you can run whatever speed you are comfortable with without worry. Fuel is relatively plentiful- Getting 8ish MPG with my CTD I’d usually hit Holbrook, Gallup, Grants,

On the westside of ABQ as you first come into town there is a Flying J truck stop, I always stopped there for fuel, it is the easiest place to get in and out of. There really aren’t any good quick places to stop for fuel once you pass it.

Plan your departure time to avoid ABQ during rush hour, or be prepared to sit in traffic for an extra hour or more.

Then you have decent places to stop at Moriarty, Santa Rosa, and Tucumcari or San Jon. I personally never stopped in NM other than fuel. Amarillo is a good stopping point, and will be just past halfway for you- if you need to rest.

The 40 through the panhandle has fuel stops- but I would look up Flying J and Pilot locations and plan stops accordingly. If driving overnight, some of the smaller hole in the wall stops will close at 10pm, have poor access, or have high fuel prices.

Avoid rush hour in OKC as well, and again, try to stop for fuel on your way in or out- and avoid the middle of town while towing.

Overall, not a bad drive, some shit roads here or there, and probably some construction. And you’ll probably run into a thunderstorm or two.

You can make good time if you limit the stops to fuel only. If I’m trying to get somewhere, when I stop for fuel, anyone in the car who wants food or the bathroom better be into the truck when the tanks full or they are getting left behind, lol. Most of the truck stops have some kind of food, subway, burger joint, chicken place, etc. A 20 hour trip can turn into a 30 hour trip pretty quick if you’re stopping to eat and rest every 4-6 hours.

If you’re towing with a diesel bring several containers of DEF, it will be expensive at the truck stops and it’s a PITA to us the big rig side with the DEF pumps. They don’t accept CC except for fleet cards so you have to go in to pay.

KingofBeers

Reaction score
Bowtiepower00 is pretty much right...but whatever you do, dont stop overnight in Moriarty,NM. I had a truck stolen there and was told the area has the highest vehicle theft rates in the entire US. NM as a whole is a shithole imo. Ive driven from SF Bay Area to LOTO 6 times in the last 60 days or there about🥴. I40 is terrible almost the entire length of NM, especially between Moriarty and Santa Rosa.

Drive time will vary depending on your ability to put in long days to get where you are going. I was doing 1100+ miles on first day and then the rest the second. ~1950 miles from door to door. That got old so now I take it easy and do 5-700ish/day over 3 days.

I really only have experience with one ramp here so far. We used King's Pointe RV park and resort to launch Lake p.a.ls Skater a couple times and its a pretty decent ramp in a pretty central location (by water) away from the madness of the Osage side of the lake.

Hope you have a pretty big boat if you will be here on a weekend...its a mess out there...lol.

sirbob

Reaction score
On my return trips from LHC to Ohio in the 3500, but not towing, we typically stopped in Santa Rosa NM the first night and somewhere around OKC or Tulsa on the second night. I normally drive over the limit but not crazy, so faster than I would tow. FWIW my neck and back make it very hard to go more than 9-10 hrs in a day and usually stop every few hours for 10-15 minutes to stretch and straighten out. Don't know if this helps.

I like your drive / rest ratio - Thats about what I'm thinking.

I have done PHX to Iowa multiple times with a toyhauler, following I40 from FLG to OK City where I pick up I35.

Speed limit is 75, you can run whatever speed you are comfortable with without worry. Fuel is relatively plentiful- Getting 8ish MPG with my CTD I’d usually hit Holbrook, Gallup, Grants,

On the westside of ABQ as you first come into town there is a Flying J truck stop, I always stopped there for fuel, it is the easiest place to get in and out of. There really aren’t any good quick places to stop for fuel once you pass it.

Plan your departure time to avoid ABQ during rush hour, or be prepared to sit in traffic for an extra hour or more.

Then you have decent places to stop at Moriarty, Santa Rosa, and Tucumcari or San Jon. I personally never stopped in NM other than fuel. Amarillo is a good stopping point, and will be just past halfway for you- if you need to rest.

The 40 through the panhandle has fuel stops- but I would look up Flying J and Pilot locations and plan stops accordingly. If driving overnight, some of the smaller hole in the wall stops will close at 10pm, have poor access, or have high fuel prices.

Avoid rush hour in OKC as well, and again, try to stop for fuel on your way in or out- and avoid the middle of town while towing.

Overall, not a bad drive, some shit roads here or there, and probably some construction. And you’ll probably run into a thunderstorm or two.

You can make good time if you limit the stops to fuel only. If I’m trying to get somewhere, when I stop for fuel, anyone in the car who wants food or the bathroom better be into the truck when the tanks full or they are getting left behind, lol. Most of the truck stops have some kind of food, subway, burger joint, chicken place, etc. A 20 hour trip can turn into a 30 hour trip pretty quick if you’re stopping to eat and rest every 4-6 hours.

If you’re towing with a diesel bring several containers of DEF, it will be expensive at the truck stops and it’s a PITA to us the big rig side with the DEF pumps. They don’t accept CC except for fleet cards so you have to go in to pay.

Thank you for taking a few min. to provide the detail! This helps me a lot. Amarillo was kind of what I was thinking for a good target for the first night.

Bowtiepower00 is pretty much right...but whatever you do, dont stop overnight in Moriarty,NM. I had a truck stolen there and was told the area has the highest vehicle theft rates in the entire US. NM as a whole is a shithole imo. Ive driven from SF Bay Area to LOTO 6 times in the last 60 days or there about🥴. I40 is terrible almost the entire length of NM, especially between Moriarty and Santa Rosa.

Drive time will vary depending on your ability to put in long days to get where you are going. I was doing 1100+ miles on first day and then the rest the second. ~1950 miles from door to door. That got old so now I take it easy and do 5-700ish/day over 3 days.

I really only have experience with one ramp here so far. We used King's Pointe RV park and resort to launch Lake p.a.ls Skater a couple times and its a pretty decent ramp in a pretty central location (by water) away from the madness of the Osage side of the lake.

Hope you have a pretty big boat if you will be here on a weekend...its a mess out there...lol.

Sounds like you have that route down!

I don't really need to see the lake on a weekend - I'm heading past there to go farther east but was thinking since I would be passing there I should stop and drop the boat in for a short look around? Thx for suggestion on RV park and ramp.

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
I have done this trip many times. Takes me every bit of 22 hours from Phoenix. I stay in Amarillo TX on the way out, but on the way home I head straight through to Phoenix. Amarillo is about 12 hours from Phoenix, so it breaks up the trip for me if I choose to stop for the night.
I would suggest Margaritaville lake resort as a good place to stay on the lake. The rooms are decent and they have a launch ramp. Launch ramps can be hard to find or can be far away from your hotel.
It is tight getting down to the ramp, but I launched my 340 there.
The hotel has a pool, great bar, is located in the middle the lake for the most part and close to most of the action. There are great bars and restaurants either way you head out from the docks of the hotel.

Have Fun,

Bo

sirbob

Reaction score
I have done this trip many times. Takes me every bit of 22 hours from Phoenix. I stay in Amarillo TX on the way out, but on the way home I head straight through to Phoenix. Amarillo is about 12 hours from Phoenix, so it breaks up the trip for me if I choose to stop for the night.
I would suggest Margaritaville lake resort as a good place to stay on the lake. The rooms are decent and they have a launch ramp. Launch ramps can be hard to find or can be far away from your hotel.
The hotel has a pool, great bar, is located in the middle the lake for the most part and close to most of the action. There are great bars and restaurants either way you head out from the docks of the hotel.

Have Fun,

Bo

More great info - Thx!

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
When are you going? bunch of us are going middle of june.
my suggestion is to stop in Albuquerque first night, then tulsa second night,
Like mentioned above the margaritaville is nice place, good ramps and docks and nice rooms

575cat

Reaction score

Have Fun,

Bo
Is that the old Tantara and yes that landing is Very tight , but nice place .

sirbob

Reaction score
When are you going? bunch of us are going middle of june.
my suggestion is to stop in Albuquerque first night, then tulsa second night,
Like mentioned above the margaritaville is nice place, good ramps and docks and nice rooms

Thinking of leaving Havasu sometime between June 17-19??? Heading to New York with the boat and looking to check out LOTO on the way.

I’d love to connect if we are going around the same time - and am flexible about when I leave or how long I stay in any one place. I need to be in Philadelphia by the 22 and then Upper Lake Saranac NY by June 30...

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Thinking of leaving Havasu sometime between June 17-19??? Heading to New York with the boat and looking to check out LOTO on the way.

I’d love to connect if we are going around the same time - and am flexible about when I leave or how long I stay in any one place. I need to be in Philadelphia by the 22 and then Upper Lake Saranac NY by June 30...
We will be there June 17th to the 20th its the Cigarette rendezvous, going to be a lot of cig's running around

SlowMyRoll

Reaction score

I would allow a extra day or two. I’ve seen pictures of your boat and Lincoln, both are beautiful! You’re going to get lots of stares, thumbs up and people asking questions on your way across the country. Enjoy your trip!

sirbob

Reaction score
I would allow a extra day or two. I’ve seen pictures of your boat and Lincoln, both are beautiful! You’re going to get lots of stares, thumbs up and people asking questions on your way across the country. Enjoy your trip!

Haha - thx !

707dog

Reaction score
Rob said he is to busy boating but try the WAZE APP it should get you there by years end 😂 😂 😂

Part0.jpg
Part0(1).jpg

gordon

Reaction score
I have never been there also is a 32' foot boat big enough scared of what I hear im trying for lotto as well

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
I have never been there also is a 32' foot boat big enough scared of what I hear im trying for lotto as well
Lot smaller boats than that running around, just need to pay attention, last year on the cig run it was rough, but you take 100 cigs running at the same time and thats what you get.

Tank

Reaction score
Yeah, like Dan said, 32 feet plenty big. On the weekends (especially event weekends) it gets hella rough because there is no shore to calm the wakes. They hit the canyon walls and kick right back out. Now add the fact you have a SHIT ton of BIG cruisers (like 65' plus yachts) plowing trough the water throwing 5' rollers it gets nasty quick. Last year during the run it was rough Friday and Saturday but Sunday we bar hopped and it was really nice water the whole day.

Rob text me last weekend said his skater is eating up the water no sweat (32').

These pics are running back to PBC Sunday afteroon in buddies TIger with @Apex svt who was running their 38 Hustler. water wasn't bad at all. Think we were getting close to 100.

77.png
78.png
79.png
t.png

Then these pics are of buddis 35 cig and us in the Tiger during the run on Friday and Saturday when the water was snotty. You can see how the wakes come from the side, not from the front or at an angle usually. We aired out that big ol tiger a few times on some cruiser wakes! o_O

NN.png
SSS.png
QQQ.png
RRR.png