WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lots has changed!

Wadernation

Reaction score
I haven’t been on here much so thought I’d share an update.

In May/June I decided that I needed a change and a lot of it stemmed from the California BS we are all too familiar with and working a job I hated. I decided to list my house, I bought a toy hauler and planned to live pretty simple for the next 12 months in a great RV camp ground in east county San Diego while continuing to work and saving a bunch of cash. Then in September of 2019 I would leave this state and finally settle down in Arizona. I grabbed life by the balls and just said screw it...do what makes you happy! This was the plan..

So 3 weeks ago the house goes on the market, I move to Santee Lakes (if anyone is in SD county then I’m sure you know this place...it’s killer. Close to town and freeways, you are allowed to stay up to 50 weeks a year at monthly long term rates and just an overall great facility consisting of 7 lakes, Fishing, swimming pools and just a great relaxing atmosphere.

A few weeks ago there was a thread about giving two weeks notice and if this was sufficient enough time and respectful to your employer. So in mid September I told my boss my plans of moving next year. Lots a company drama, unhealthy work environment, etc but I gave plenty of notice to help them make the change and train the next person. I did it very professionally and wanted this transition to be positive for everyone. Realistically I assumed I’d work there till the end of the year then just lay low a few months next year to explore Arizona and my options. Anyways, come back the next Monday and was told to leave. 10 years working for my family’s business... basically a big F you but what can you expect.

Oh well :) so now I wake up every morning and hit the gym, cruise the beach cruiser around the lakes and have a few beers around the smudge pot every night. I call it semi early retirement at 30 but it’s just temporary and a great way to reset my life after working a career I really didn’t enjoy. I haven’t been happier and it’s amazing what some changes will do for your health and outlook. I guess the moral of the story is do what makes you happy if you have the means to. Here’s some pics from today.
2E724E11-5EAE-42B5-8E24-8000D1FD7EE5.jpeg
8CAC7050-F38D-438A-A08D-5DDE4F10D85E.jpeg
7C0AD50C-6336-4E67-BA89-4E22FBEA6BE9.jpeg
430B93A9-740F-4F94-A4ED-FBB86A187EA3.png
4ED54411-F514-45E9-9FCE-57F27B48E172.jpeg
49D5DDE9-7205-4109-A847-8EF510B8F8F9.jpeg
B8A6BC3E-BD2E-4A5E-BFE6-977E9A472DB0.jpeg
0A35D54A-1219-47A5-9F94-8C4DBC21C592.jpeg

Attachments

• 0571C32D-6919-4CAC-81F9-3F8DA54A9470.jpeg
    0571C32D-6919-4CAC-81F9-3F8DA54A9470.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Surprised if it was a family biz they just dropped you like that?

Congrats on starting your life!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Good to hear it is working out for you. That sucks that you couldn’t work there for the remainder of the time you wanted. Damned if you do damned if you dont. At least you were up front with it even if they were not.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
10 years with the family business and they told you to leave?
I wonder how the Thanksgiving family dinner is going to be.
Enjoy your new life

Wadernation

Reaction score
Surprised if it was a family biz they just dropped you like that?

Congrats on starting your life!
10 years with the family business and they told you to leave?
I wonder how the Thanksgiving family dinner is going to be.
Enjoy your new life

It complicated. Dad and uncle sold the business due to their failing relationship and though I still worked under my uncle everyday, there were new owners involved. My dad is great and supports my plans. All is well with our relationship and that’s all I care about. Everyone else can suck it :)

fmo24

Reaction score
Congrats. I retired in June. Sold everything and packed up the moho and Jeep and hit the road. Lots of country out there. It seems once you leave CA everyone is beyond nice. Can’t wait to see more of our beautiful country

fmo24

Reaction score
I have been seeing more young people living in campers and motorhomes. Even some young families. If you can work and travel now is the time to do it

Wadernation

Reaction score
I have been seeing more young people living in campers and motorhomes. Even some young families. If you can work and travel now is the time to do it
There are lots of young families here. My neighbor works for the coast guard and his wife and kids just chill and explore around. It definitely is a trend with younger people as home prices aren’t affordable. I don’t blame them.

Wadernation

Reaction score
Congrats on following your heart man! Trying to untangle myself from my business as well, I have some similar notions as recently I decided life is too fucking short to grind everyday.

Keep us updated!
Thanks and Good for you! The support is huge from friends and family with stuff like this. Make the move and you’ll see it was worth it. Glad I took the leap.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Congrats - glad things are working out for you.

There's a lesson to be learned here: Never give too much notice about leaving - 2 weeks is plenty

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I have a few more years to go... but great plan. Santee lakes is nice. Perfect weather out there now.

I assume if you sold the house you have a nice nest egg to work with? Don't fritter it away. Buy some rental property somewhere cheaper and set up permanent cash flow!

Wadernation

Reaction score
I have a few more years to go... but great plan. Santee lakes is nice. Perfect weather out there now.

I assume if you sold the house you have a nice nest egg to work with? Don't fritter it away. Buy some rental property somewhere cheaper and set up permanent cash flow!

Actually the house fell out of escrow this morning because the buyer was having lending issues so it’s back on the market. Oh well. Yes I won’t touch that money...that is strictly for my next purchase in AZ and luckily my savings are decent to enjoy for the time being. I will head out there next year and do trailer life again for a few more months until the market drops and I can find an area / job that works well then buy a house.

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Congrats Wade. We miss seeing you out here at the river. Still have your boat?

MOUZER

Reaction score
ive retired but my wife as a teacher has 7 more yrs till 62 and fair retirement..now where talking 2 yrs from now to move to s carolina on a lake..but she will lose more than 1/2 the retirement money if she dont wait..........are house is paid off wourth 425 k today ..probably drop by 2 yrs and economy may flatten out or crash a bit.............i say lets sell now and go........what u say ?

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
You gave them a 1 year notice? Please tell me your family business at least gave you a severance package?

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
ive retired but my wife as a teacher has 7 more yrs till 62 and fair retirement..now where talking 2 yrs from now to move to s carolina on a lake..but she will lose more than 1/2 the retirement money if she dont wait..........are house is paid off wourth 425 k today ..probably drop by 2 yrs and economy may flatten out or crash a bit.............i say lets sell now and go........what u say ?

Not sure how much $$$ your talking of losing per month but 1/2 your wife’s pension by retiring 5 years early is a pretty big penalty. I would just be a trophy husband till the Mrs is done working at 62 :D

Wadernation

Reaction score

Hey nothing is promised. I heard recently a sad story about my parent’s friend that was a short year or two from retirement and a random illness put them 6 feet down. Sometimes financial decisions are better to sit and wait...but more money won’t buy more days. Good luck!

Last edited:

Wadernation

Reaction score
You gave them a 1 year notice? Please tell me your family business at least gave you a severance package?
I was going to break the move to them next April or so but the work environment was so bad that I moved that news up 6 months lol. But still hoped to work till the end of the year.
I worked that Monday and they paid me the rest of the week. Nothing beyond that. I don’t like talking crap on a company that has been so great to me...but with recent ownership changes, I don’t see myself there for the long haul. No more pride with holding the family name.

DLC

Reaction score
Good for you, Congratulations!

What type of business or job do you want to get into in AZ? The hourly pay in AZ sucks compared to Ca. If you can make Cali wages and live in AZ your way ahead financially.

Wadernation

Reaction score
Good for you, Congratulations!

What type of business or job do you want to get into in AZ? The hourly pay in AZ sucks compared to Ca. If you can make Cali wages and live in AZ your way ahead financially.
I was a project manager and we did commercial wood framing. So ideally I’d reach out in those areas of work. I know the pay will be less but think the cost of living would offset it.

DLC

Reaction score
I thought that’s what you did, you’ve done some work for my Uncle in the past - otay Mesa tilt ups. We’ve built a ton of em down there and Poway industrial park actually all over San Diego.

I worked for my uncle for years punching 50-60 + hr weeks and finally decided to do my own gig, now I make about the same $$ but work half the hours, little to no headaches and am way more flexible with my time and generally a lot happier in life!

I turned 50 this past July and am thinking I need to shift gears again and get my GC lic in Az and then an electric and HVAC lic as well, that’s my plan for now! Looking to just do “fix it’s” on weekends in Havasu. Weekend work is almost next to impossible to find in Havasu.

MohavValley

Reaction score
Make a plan, hit the road, see the things you've always wanted to see for 6 to 9 months then come back to AZ and figure out where you want to be. You never know you just might not want to come back, there lots of cool places that aren't 120 in the summer

Some times you need to get lost to find yourself.

Wadernation

Reaction score
I thought that’s what you did, you’ve done some work for my Uncle in the past - otay Mesa tilt ups. We’ve built a ton of em down there and Poway industrial park actually all over San Diego.

I worked for my uncle for years punching 50-60 + hr weeks and finally decided to do my own gig, now I make about the same $$ but work half the hours, little to no headaches and am way more flexible with my time and generally a lot happier in life!

I turned 50 this past July and am thinking I need to shift gears again and get my GC lic in Az and then an electric and HVAC lic as well, that’s my plan for now! Looking to just do “fix it’s” on weekends in Havasu. Weekend work is almost next to impossible to find in Havasu.

Yea we have done a lot of flat roofs and have been doing them for 40 years. It’s funny to drive around with my pops through the industrial parks and hear him say “yea..built those. And those. And these”. Thanks for the comment and good luck to your future as well! Seems lots of people are making changes all all stages of life.

Wadernation

Reaction score
Make a plan, hit the road, see the things you've always wanted to see for 6 to 9 months then come back to AZ and figure out where you want to be. You never know you just might not want to come back, there lots of cool places that aren't 120 in the summer

Some times you need to get lost to find yourself.

Bingo! Well said and that’s just the plan.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
I was going to break the move to them next April or so but the work environment was so bad that I moved that news up 6 months lol. But still hoped to work till the end of the year.
I worked that Monday and they paid me the rest of the week. Nothing beyond that. I don’t like talking crap on a company that has been so great to me...but with recent ownership changes, I don’t see myself there for the long haul. No more pride with holding the family name.

Congratulations on the big move.
You did the right thing by giving notice to a company you thought would show some reciprocal loyalty.
You know what they say about Karma.......
I'd drop a resume off at their main competitor if you need to 'top up' your retirement savings plan with an additional 6 months of work.

Wadernation

Reaction score
397133E4-D961-444D-A1E0-625F8C711D18.jpeg
B5983DA9-AE75-4990-81BA-4F978761BE97.jpeg
69B956B0-E41B-49AF-8235-89D9B2F6C71A.jpeg
0B4DD931-89D9-4996-A24C-9F8A50D41CD0.jpeg
C3EED04B-42C0-4BB1-A955-23A8A5948F3C.jpeg
So it’s been over four months since I have been on here and my plans have changed! Crazy how life will do that. Anyways..after starting this thread back in October, I had a lead to move and work in Telluride Colorado. I drove out to visit some buddies in Denver, stopped in for an interview and was immediately hired to work at a resort here on the slopes. Super basic position but sounded like a blast. The house finally sold in San Diego, I have now purchased and settled into a townhome within walking distance to the slopes and I haven’t been happier. I snowboard every day and live in one of the prettiest ski towns. With things slowing down I’ll be back on RDP more but I will be selling the 21 Daytona as well as that brand new toy hauler I was living in. (In case anyone is interested). Anyways here are a few pics from my new life.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
View attachment 729230 View attachment 729231 View attachment 729232 View attachment 729233 View attachment 729234 So it’s been over four months since I have been on here and my plans have changed! Crazy how life will do that. Anyways..after starting this thread back in October, I had a lead to move and work in Telluride Colorado. I drove out to visit some buddies in Denver, stopped in for an interview and was immediately hired to work at a resort here on the slopes. Super basic position but sounded like a blast. The house finally sold in San Diego, I have now purchased and settled into a townhome within walking distance to the slopes and I haven’t been happier. I snowboard every day and live in one of the prettiest ski towns. With things slowing down I’ll be back on RDP more but I will be selling the 21 Daytona as well as that brand new toy hauler I was living in. (In case anyone is interested). Anyways here are a few pics from my new life.
Awesome to read!

(A little bummed there aren't any pics of cute snow bunnies) :D

RodnJen

Reaction score
View attachment 729230 View attachment 729231 View attachment 729232 View attachment 729233 View attachment 729234 So it’s been over four months since I have been on here and my plans have changed! Crazy how life will do that. Anyways..after starting this thread back in October, I had a lead to move and work in Telluride Colorado. I drove out to visit some buddies in Denver, stopped in for an interview and was immediately hired to work at a resort here on the slopes. Super basic position but sounded like a blast. The house finally sold in San Diego, I have now purchased and settled into a townhome within walking distance to the slopes and I haven’t been happier. I snowboard every day and live in one of the prettiest ski towns. With things slowing down I’ll be back on RDP more but I will be selling the 21 Daytona as well as that brand new toy hauler I was living in. (In case anyone is interested). Anyways here are a few pics from my new life.

Telluride is a blast in the summer as well. Glad things are going well for you.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I have an Epic pass and Telluride was just added. It is on my list of places to go to.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I have a good friend in Vail. He has had 26 great years. Even built an awesome house last year. Enjoy it while you can.

Wadernation

Reaction score
I grew up in Dolores, and that part of the world will always be home. Enjoy Southwest Colorado!
Too funny! Yea I was living at the top of lizard head pass for a few months at trout lake. Then just moved down to telluride. This place is super rad but will definitely will miss the river all the time.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I learned to ski at Telluride when Meadows was the base area for that side of the mountain, before the quad lift and Mountain Village. Haven't been on the mountain for a couple of decades now.

What a great area to grow up in and live. We tried to get back there but I couldn't come up with a job at the time. Congrats on the move.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Cool looking town, it was funny to see all the boats in driveways in winter until I learned about the reservoir. :cool:

Lots if small lakes around besides McPhee also. Navajo Lake is only a few hours away and Halls Crossing at Powell is a little over three. Then there is Vallecito up above Durango. Fair amount of boating to be had as long as there is water.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Congrats on the phug it mentality that takes some balls to do what you did. What I got from your story, and a little from mine since I also work for a “family business”; don’t ever work with family unless you’re willing to risk permanently damaging relationships with those you work with and are related to. It’s not easy that’s for sure. Same goes for hiring friends, I’ve also lost a few that way as well when it didnt work out and I had to fire them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk