WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lots vs gated communities

spectra bash

Reaction score
Wife and I are starting to look around at lots of all kinds. Investment/ retirement. I have friends with lots in willow near jack smith where you get land but back in the bush kind of thing. And lots are cheap. I like more than the wife. Lots in Cimmaron lake in Mohave Valley by my parents all in probably $300. Lots up above lake Mohave which can be up to 3 acres big for 120,000 for lot. Stayed in vista del Lago by Havasu landing and you own land a put new Mobil which was nice with the lake views. Not sure about gated communities and that part of Havasu can be a zoo. Would like more if down by the springs. Anything like those communities on az side? Looking probably for lot only first. Definitely can’t afford the new place going in at Havasu. Forget the name. But lots seem spendy. Any thoughts on locations or communities to look at? A crossed from needles marina looks cool but not sure on prices . Been trying to drive around when in the area. Thanks for any info.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Don't know much about Havasu. The places across from Needles Marina can be anywhere from reasonable, to "Holy $#@!"
I would say it comes down to it's overall purpose, any lot. I have a decent old place in the trailerhood in Golden Shores. I never planned to rent it out, but also don't plan on it ever being a place to retire. If you're looking to rent out, has to be close to "stuff". If you think you may retire there, you want close enough to "stuff" but may not want to be too close.
As for gated developements, and private, there seems to be a mix of outcomes. My last place was in a gated deal, but there seemed to be more weekday theft...so I can't say if one is better or not.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I think the gated vs not is a big question out here. Especially if your wife is more of the mind for gated. Gated has its pros and cons but I wouldn't want to have a situation where my wife was worried a lot of the time. If she could care less either way then you can make that decision easier.

You have to worry more about theft when youre not there if not gated and I agreed with the poster above that break ins do occur. Break ins are much fewer behind gates. If you ever drive along Dike Rd where all those nice places are on the water a lot of them have tall walls around them. There's a reason and i hear they are still broken into.

Laughlin Ranch is really nice. I know prices are going up but there are private resale lots and spec homes now. The HOA was surprisingly low (like around $120) when I looked into it last year. Good luck.

Cdog

Reaction score
Gated in AZ means private streets & assessments to reseal & repave. If it’s gonna be a while before you get to use your prorata share of the community you may want to consider that as an added expense.

EBT531

Reaction score
If you are thinking gated for peace of mind, the gate just makes the bad guy wait a few min before following another car in. Unless you have a gate with a guard shack, thats a bonus.

One2go

Reaction score
lived in both and far better in gated. Yes criminals can get in anywher,but in gated you kinda get to know who does and doesn’t belong in there a bit.Whole different vibe in IMO. Hoa typically (at least good ones)account for street improvements and other major budget items.My place on the island in havasu is gated and dues actually went down this year to 120 per month,even with upcoming street repairs needed.