WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Love my 5th Wheel Trailer

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Hate the sound system.

It’s got a Jensen integrated head unit and shit speakers.

Can’t I just install a home theater receiver and some quality speakers myself?

outboard_256

Reaction score
Just remember you will need 110v to run it. So inverter or shore power or generator where your jenson probably works off of 12v so you can run it anytime.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Hate the sound system.

It’s got a Jensen integrated head unit and shit speakers.

Can’t I just install a home theater receiver and some quality speakers myself?

Replace with JL audio stuff and youll be pumped.

My WW has a kicker system in it and it cranks. Not JL audio crank but still ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have a full size Denon in my rv. Runs off the inverter.

propcheck

Reaction score
The biggest issue will be power. Your system is now a 12v system and you will be going to a 110ac. You will need to install an inverter to make that happen, unless you are only using it while tied into shore power. Depending on the power draw with the inverter and the new surround sound system you could need to add a battery or two to keep up when not on shore power. 👍🏻

Meaney77

Reaction score
I installed a sound bar in my motorhome. It mounts behind my living room TV and the sub is tucked away in the dinette seat. It runs off the inverter- I can play music from
My firestick, direct tv, Or Bluetooth my phone to it. It sounds great and was pretty cheap to do.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Thanks All, for your suggestions. I should have provided more info.

My 5th wheel has solar and a generator so 110v power will be fine. The head unit is a Jensen unit tied into 2 shitty speakers in the panel below the TV. They're the speakers for the living area (any source other than the TV which doesn't play through it).

I could take it to an Car Audio place but that's a crapshoot at best. Or I could add an amp and better speakers. Or I could pull the thing out and replace it with a decent HT Receiver with Bluetooth so it has all the features plus power and then change out the speakers.

I'm leaning towards the latter - the Home Theater receiver which is easy for me to plug everything into including the TV which would be a bonus.

PS: "Don't be THAT GUY" - noted.

Cdog

Reaction score
I picked up a Bose sound bar from Costco for my outside TV on mine. It plugs into the TV via optic cable or Bluetooth. Much better,, Inside is decent now that I shit canned the crappy sub and replaced it with a fosgate 12 self powered sub.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Thanks All, for your suggestions. I should have provided more info.

My 5th wheel has solar and a generator so 110v power will be fine. The head unit is a Jensen unit tied into 2 shitty speakers in the panel below the TV. They're the speakers for the living area (any source other than the TV which doesn't play through it).

I could take it to an Car Audio place but that's a crapshoot at best. Or I could add an amp and better speakers. Or I could pull the thing out and replace it with a decent HT Receiver with Bluetooth so it has all the features plus power and then change out the speakers.

I'm leaning towards the latter - the Home Theater receiver which is easy for me to plug everything into including the TV which would be a bonus.

PS: "Don't be THAT GUY" - noted.

The nice thing about the car audio is setting up zones and an outside control. Mine has 3 zones that can all be on at once or individually. 4 speakers in the main, 2 above the bed, 1 sub, 2 6x9’s outside. I like being able to have just the outside speakers on so when I want to howl at the moon but momma wants to go inside and watch a movie then were both happy. We were also able to get the main tv hooked to it for surround sound.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Why not install an amp and better speakers, and just leave the head unit alone.

Did you not see the word Jensen in his first post? That's freaking PepBoys shit! LoL

Swap everything out to Kenwood. Head unit, speakers and amp. Kenwood makes a kick ass amp that will drive four speakers And a subwoofer, and it doesn't take up a whole lot of room.

If you stay with car audio, rather than home audio, it will be easier to Bluetooth your phone to it and play Spotify, or whatever music you want. Just get a basic head unit. No CD player or anything like that. You'll be able control volume and everything else from your phone, inside or outside your 5th wheel.

They make a ton of different speakers, so just match em up to whatever amp you decide on.

I guarantee it will sound as good as an RV can sound. They don't exactly have great acoustics. 😝

No 110v required.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Whatever you do, just make sure you don't have to fab any brackets for the new shit you put in. 😂😂😂

Can always count on Hoots to add to the discussion. At least post some Hooterage.

Did you not see the word Jensen in his first post? That's freaking PepBoys shit! LoL

Swap everything out to Kenwood. Head unit, speakers and amp. Kenwood makes a kick ass amp that will drive four speakers And a subwoofer, and it doesn't take up a whole lot of room.

If you stay with car audio, rather than home audio, it will be easier to Bluetooth your phone to it and play Spotify, or whatever music you want. Just get a basic head unit. No CD player or anything like that. You'll be able control volume and everything else from your phone, inside or outside your 5th wheel.

They make a ton of different speakers, so just match em up to whatever amp you decide on.

I guarantee it will sound as good as an RV can sound. They don't exactly have great acoustics. 😝

No 110v required.

Thanks for this - I’ll check it out for sure

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score

No 110v required.

He doesn't even need an amp if he went home audio......since he has access to AC power, he can just get one of those soundbars with a wireless sub. You can Bluetooth through the soundbar. I have one of the Yamaha ones from Costco..with no sub. I have another one in a box too....with a sub. Just haven't figured out where I want to put it yet. They would sound pretty good in an RV imo.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
He doesn't even need an amp if he went home audio......since he has access to AC power, he can just get one of those soundbars with a wireless sub. You can Bluetooth through the soundbar. I have one of the Yamaha ones from Costco..with no sub. I have another one in a box too....with a sub. Just haven't figured out where I want to put it yet. They would sound pretty good in an RV imo.

Thats a good option if your always hanging out inside. Or don’t mind blasting it inside so you can hear it outside. I suppose you could get the sound bar inside and buy a portable speaker for outside.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Another plus with the soundbar.....if he has a TV in his trailer, he could use it for surround sound too while watching TV. Pretty much what I do with mine in my patio. And he could just stream music using his TV and not tie up his phone to stream music. I use Pandora on my TV.
20210115_003834.jpg

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Lookit Hoot stepping up! (⚾) (⚾)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Be serious...

It took him weeks to figure out how to mount a light bar, and now you want him to mount a sound bar in an RV??

We are trying to help a brother out here, not give him a panic attack! 🤣

The sound bar ain't a bad idea though...

But Id prefer a 12v option myself. The trailer is already set up for it. Just swap out what he has and done.

No engineering required. 😉

WhatExit?

Reaction score
You guys are funny - thanks for the humor - and the input. 😁 Mounting the light bar was easy, bending it accurately with no tools was the question and the suggestion to score the steel bar was spot-on (thanks again to @monkeyswrench )

The sound bar is a good idea. Now I'm thinking about the wires that are likely behind the Jensen head unit. Based on the owners manual (link below) here's what I have to work with:

Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 1.41.22 PM.png

It has HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) - now I need to look at this:

Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 1.52.30 PM.png

Last edited: