WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

"Love your boat, is it a schiada?"

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I mean you can build a wood box, carpet and upholster it and screw it to the floor. Or you can build a box. Inlay wood, put the labor in it to make it finish quality. Machine brackets. Through bolt them to the floor. Upholster it. Polish all the hardware. And put it together. What's the difference in cost of materials and labor?

My transom and floor is inlaid also with gel around it. Gas tanks painted. Etc etc. I've been in a lot of boats. So I appreciate the details and the fact that each one is hand built and different. None are exactly the same.

The cost to build one isn't something they have on a sheet for upgrades. You pay labor and materials. At Schiada rate and time frame. Lol. What's nice is that at one time Lee said there were maybe 18, 24 Schiadas. They only make a few boats a year. All different and all one off.

That is the difference. It is like hand building a car specifically to your tastes, as opposed to buying something from the dealer and checking the boxes next to the options you want.

rvrrun

Reaction score
I rode in a T bucket when I was a kid. I barely fit in it then. There is more room in my Toyota Yaris than a 32. That said I've only been in a couple 32's.

But my analogy is valid.. go drive in a 32 and then go drive a modern corvette.

More fun in the deuce, hands down.

...if you don't have to turn

But the analogy would be true comparing a Camry to an LS 6 Chevelle. They are different animals from different times.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
When I pull into my favorite cove, pop a frosty and sit on the bow of my 20 with my feet dangling in the water it's heaven...that's what connects us all...:thumbup:

Just get out there..in whatever...as long as you are friendly and helpful to your other boaters, you make good in the world.

Keep on passing along the disease...:p

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
More fun in the deuce, hands down.

...if you don't have to turn

But the analogy would be true comparing a Camry to an LS 6 Chevelle. They are different animals from different times.

I don't know that I'd go that far. Think of a nice Schiada build and compare that to a deck boat with a similar price tag.

The new deck boat is not a Camry. You can get a really nice modern performance car for the price of a nice LS6 Chevelle.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
When I pull into my favorite cove, pop a frosty and sit on the bow of my 20 with my feet dangling in the water it's heaven...that's what connects us all...:thumbup:

Just get out there..in whatever...as long as you are friendly and helpful to your other boaters, you make good in the world.

Keep on passing along the disease...:p

This is what it is all about.

rvrrun

Reaction score
I don't know that I'd go that far. Think of a nice Schiada build and compare that to a deck boat with a similar price tag.

The new deck boat is not a Camry. You can get a really nice modern performance car for the price of a nice LS6 Chevelle.

I was stuck in car analogies, the point I was trying to make is the LS 6 being at the top of any collectors wish list and the Camry being a better car in all aspects (save acceleration).

...and t buckets don't count. They are tons of fun, but all stretched and no top makes for tons of room.

...could you build a Schiada for the price of a deck boat?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I was stuck in car analogies, the point I was trying to make is the LS 6 being at the top of any collectors wish list and the Camry being a better car in all aspects (save acceleration).

...and t buckets don't count. They are tons of fun, but all stretched and no top makes for tons of room.

...could you build a Schiada for the price of a deck boat?

I understand where you are coming from.

I mean a Nordic deck with decent power is mid/upper $100ks, as is a nice Howard Deck or Eliminator Daytona.

With a Schiadas I'm sure the prices vary wildly as it comes down to time and materials.

rvrrun

Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from.

I mean a Nordic deck with decent power is mid/upper $100ks, as is a nice Howard Deck or Eliminator Daytona.

With a Schiadas I'm sure the prices vary wildly as it comes down to time and materials.

That's why I want a Schiada (and gained massive respect for DCB when I found out they clock screw heads). You don't have to do things like that, and your customer might not even notice, but the fact that you do says something extraordinary about your build quality and attention to detail.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I have read this thread and I think you kind of have to grow into them to fully appreciate (if you are not part of the cult :) ). The few I have had the pleasire of riding in have been unreal boats. Absolute hotrods that were both show pieces that would make awesome passes. Would I want one personally for my only boat? No - but if you are only running Parker this would be my choice if I could do it.

Maestro

Reaction score
As I was pulling in to the marina to pull the boat out one summer evening, the 540 jacketed exhaust above the water line never sounded so good. Get on the trailer and blip the throttle before I turned it off. All I heard was," Dad look" from a kid in the boat next to me. We both had Cheetahs stilettos. As I raised the hatch the kid and dad were smiling. And asking questions. One of my best memories. The kid new it was a cheetah like his pop's boat. I think it made him proud that day. We chatted for a second their boat was new and clean..but I think jr. Was going to try to talk dad into a bigger motor.lol I have more from the cheetah club for later...

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I think because I grew up around Hot Rods I prefer the Hot Rod style boats. I view a Schiada "cruiser" as more of a family truckster -type of hull. The cool factor goes up depending on how much power it has and some have a lot. :thumbsup

I like to equate the modern era 23' and up v-bottom "performance" boats to an 11 passenger full size family van. Most of them can't even beat the faster jet ski's out there so in my eyes the "performance" label isn't too fitting.

The bigger cats are so damn good at what they do that they're actually kinda boring to me. I want the ride to seem somewhat unsafe or it isn't exciting. Like I've said 200 times, they're like flying in a 737. Fast but boring compared to an f-16.

Switching from the small lakes to the ocean, the big boats become much more cool. The ocean swells remove the sensation of being overly safe. :champagne:

Even though wakeboard, pontoon and fishing boats are super useful and hugely popular, I don't look twice at them. They lack performance and excitement just like the average car going down the highway.

I hope I didn't offend all you snowflakes and yuppies. This is just my take on the subject and I respect all of yours. :)

Advantage 1

Reaction score
How does one pronounce 'Schiada'?

A) SHY-AD-DUH?

B) SHE-AH-DUH?

C) ???

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I have a good friend that can't say for the life of him.
We tell him say, Shy-Ahh-Duh.

He can only say She-Hada.:lmao
That's pretty funny! I head a guy call it a She-ta-da before

Enen

Reaction score
Dcb has a group

Schiada has a group

Hallett has a group

Eliminator has a group.

Etc, you get my point. What I like about everyone's boat that I have boated with is the fact that it's their boat and they add their touches to it to make it kustom to fit their needs. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji202][emoji41]

I am jus wondering if RD will talk to me if I buy a schiada , because of said boat or will shun me cause I am a Asshole with a schiada [emoji202]

Lets revisit this when you ACTUALLY buy a boat... :D

Enen

Reaction score
Its the boat equivalent of a '32 Ford hot rod. Its only real use is to look cool, cruise around, and do a couple burnouts. It is small, cramped, uncomfortable, you don't like spending any extended amount of time in it. Plus it could kill you at any moment in a variety of ways. But what a way to go.

I have a Schiada. No one that has been in it will call it small, cramped or uncomfortable. ;)

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
My dad couldn't tell you which switch raises the hatch, what size engine it has, or even what all the gauges mean. [emoji23] loves boating and loves being on the water. Loves checking out different boats and even talking about them, even though he doesn't know much. My dad had lowriders and was in groupe. So he's not new to the custom scene but boats are a little different. I hope to own a few more boats before he gets too old to enjoy them. His first time in a cat was last year and he really wants to see what other boats can do

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I have a Schiada. No one that has been in it will call it small, cramped or uncomfortable. ;)

I didn't mean for that to come off as rude, it is just a different experience because it is a different type of boat. I was not implying that the boats are cramped or uncomfortable, but you have to agree that most of them are not the most user friendly boats on the water. That is probably for good reason, but it is what it is.

Going 80 or 90 in your boat is not the same as a deckboat doing 80 or 90 on the water. It is just different.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
I didn't mean for that to come off as rude, it is just a different experience because it is a different type of boat. I was not implying that the boats are cramped or uncomfortable, but you have to agree that most of them are not the most user friendly boats on the water. That is probably for good reason, but it is what it is.

Going 80 or 90 in your boat is not the same as a deckboat doing 80 or 90 on the water. It is just different.
He was being a smart ass...His is a 32'

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

These old farts, all in the late 70's, ski five days a week during the season. :thumbsup:thumbsup

0 (278).jpg 0 (298).jpg 0 (283).jpg Tues. morn. Prop Search 011.jpg Tues. morn. Prop Search 012.jpg Tues. morn. Prop Search 013.jpg Tues. morn. Prop Search 014.jpg Tues. morn. Prop Search 015.jpg Tues. morn. Prop Search 016.jpg Tues. morn. Prop Search 017.jpg Tues. morn. Prop Search 018.jpg Suday Sept. 20, '09 064.jpg

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Jus for you. I will not buy a boat, then we don't have to revisit this post. I am going to find a boating/ non boat owner forum. [emoji202][emoji41][emoji106]

I'm rooting for you, don't let 'em get to you! :thumbsup

welldigger00

Reaction score
The greatest concentration of schiada's on any lake is Lake Arrowhead. They have had a long ski race history up here, and it also has a 25' max length limit. The main reason we have so many of these boats is because of how they ride in rough water. Not many 21' boats can ride, and maintain higher speeds in super rough, ocean like water and pull skiers like these boats do. Our lake is a washing machine tub in the summertime, and v drive schiada boats are the trophy truck of small boats.

Andy01

Reaction score
My dad owns a Schiada, I own one now, and I insure a lot of them, people that own them love them.
If you look at this picture, I'm sitting on my hatch with both of my daughters in front of me, plus there is still room from my older daughter to the driver seat. There is a ton of room in my boat.

Attachments

• Schiada first day.jpg
    Schiada first day.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 32

Andy01

Reaction score
I'd bet on any given weekend my boat could run from Thompson Bay to Havasu Springs at 65-70 mph, Dave could drink 4 beers and not spill a drop :drink. Hell facing backwards so he can't even see what's coming. :D

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
My dad owns a Schiada, I own one now, and I insure a lot of them, people that own them love them.
If you look at this picture, I'm sitting on my hatch with both of my daughters in front of me, plus there is still room from my older daughter to the driver seat. There is a ton of room in my boat.
Love your 22!!

I will sell my Howard tomorrow if the right deal came up on a 22 or 24.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Those RT outboards are very special boats.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I'd bet on any given weekend my boat could run from Thompson Bay to Havasu Springs at 65-70 mph, Dave could drink 4 beers and not spill a drop :drink. Hell facing backwards so he can't even see what's coming. :D

through a straw?

Is there a technique to drinking beer in a boat with no windshield above 60 mph? Im not talking about rough water. I mean wind. I consider myself an experienced beer drinker and pops is a hall of famer. We have yet to figure out how to do this.

Is there a class we can take? Id sign up for that before tres martin any day!

hallett21

Reaction score

How's Memorial Day weekend sound [emoji23]

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
through a straw?

Is there a technique to drinking beer in a boat with no windshield above 60 mph? Im not talking about rough water. I mean wind. I consider myself an experienced beer drinker and pops is a hall of famer. We have yet to figure out how to do this.

There is a technique, but you gotta have one hell of a set of soup coolers to do it.

RD

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
I'll make that bet with my boat when it gets running this summer. I may not be able to do 70. But even on holiday weekends it's smooth.

X Hoser

Reaction score
through a straw?

Try one of the kids "sippy cups" ;) Don't ask how I know :p

rvrrun

Reaction score
through a straw?

Try Bill "The Fox" Foster's method.

...ziggy zockey, ziggy zockey, ziggy zockey, hoy hoy hoy!!!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Try Bill "The Fox" Foster's method.

...ziggy zockey, ziggy zockey, ziggy zockey, hoy hoy hoy!!!
I've got a friend that can drink beer exactly like him. It's awesome when someone would challenge him to a chugging contest.