WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Low Quality Drywall Tools....

Backlash

Reaction score
My Grandfather built his own construction business from the ground up, and ran that successful business for generations. My Uncle and Dad went to work for him and both learned many skills along the way. Grandpa was a gifted man and he excelled in all facets of construction. Framing, roofing, drywall, etc. But his preference was masonry. He shared many of those skills and his knowledge with his sons, and they later shared that same information with us. Grandpa bought more tools than I will ever own, and he passed many of those tools on to a number of people throughout the years. One thing he instilled in us was to buy the best quality tool that you could afford, because if you took care of it, it would last you and provide for you. I'm sure many of you heard similar phrases from your elders.

I've inherited some of my Grandfather's and Dad's tools over the years, and it brings joy to me knowing they built something using the same exact tools. I've got some Marshalltown tools that have to be 50+ years old, and they work as well today as they did when Grandpa bought them new. I've got a Craftsman framing square that's at least 60+ years old, and it's my "Go-to" tool when I need it.

I've tried my best to buy good quality tools throughout the years, and have oftentimes "Overbought" a tool "Just because." But I'm happy to say, I now have some decent tools that I will someday pass on to my boys.

I've been remodeling our home for far too long, and have been using some of my Dad's drywall tools along the way. I couldn't begin to guess how much mud has been thrown on walls by that man using these very tools. Some time ago, I started to buy some of my own, so I wouldn't be using his if he came over to help. To be honest, I felt as though I wasn't skilled enough or worthy of using his taping knives. 😁

I grabbed a few while I was picking up some other necessities at Home Depot, and figured I'd try them out. I didn't buy the cheap no-name HDX brand they push, and instead ponied up for the slightly more expensive Walboard brand products. They cost a little more, so they HAD to be better. Right??

20211015_182356.jpg

This just happened this afternoon while smoothing out a hallway ceiling. 🙄

I have absolutely taken care of these tools, and have washed them off, and dried them after each and every use. I haven't allowed any mud to become caked on and have made sure to keep these tools clean and dry. The only marks on this taping knife are the wear marks on one side of the blade. There are zero knicks in the blade and it has smooth even wear from normal DIY use (I don't work in construction). I was proud of the fact that this knife was showing use, as it was beginning to show some character. I figured I would be gifting this to one of my boys, just like Grandpa did for us.

Well, now I need a new one. But I can't stand the thought of throwing this blade away, simply because of a cheaply made handle. 🙄

Walboard, please improve the quality and duability of your products so that those of us who take pride in our tools, can pass them on to the next generation.

Now, should I buy another Walboard product, or switch to something different? I've heard good things about the Level 5 drywall tools, but I haven't actually used them. What would you professionals recommend for a weekend hack, that's made well to avoid experiencing similar problems?

Thank you in advance!

Henry

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I don't know what's out there, but if you want it to last it can't be plastic or nylon. Nothing nylon or plastic lasts in Havasu.

After I posted I did some checking, looks like there's not much out there without some sort of plastic handle, however Marshalltown and Level 5 appear to have a metal connection with a plastic overlay. May not last as well as wood, but should be better.

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I think that my mud knives that have lasted the longest are the one with wood handles and stainless steel blades. I have had them for about 30 years. I’d look for some of those from a speciality supply house.

Your ad here

Reaction score
For professional drywall tools I would buy from FBM or Westside building material in Anaheim. For professional concrete tools there is only 1 place and that is Roseburrough Tool in Orange.
There is something about using the same tool your dad or grandfather used that is still in service today. I have a Mag 77 my dad used in the 90's that he kept in his service truck. I've had it for 15 years and is now in my service truck. The cord has been replace once.

Last edited:

boatpi

Reaction score
We actually are a supplier to Wallboard for some of the aluminum products used in their construction, not the item that you are showing in the photo. Wallboard makes a professional level set of tools, you might want to seek out a special supply house to get the higher quality tools, not some thing it’s made for homeowner use at a certain price point.

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies and the suggestions, I will look into them to see what I can find. I've put a few miles on this particular taping knife, and am happy with the way the blade performs. I'll just have to come up with an alternative to their low quality handle. 🙄 Like I need another project in my life. 😁

Your ad Here, thank you for the suggestions in Anaheim. I will head over on Monday to see what I can come up with. 👍 Funny you mention the Mag 77 saw. My Dad asked me what I wanted for Christmas years ago, and I told him I wanted a worm drive saw. I still have that one today, and have only replaced the cord once, due to my carelessness. There isn't a better framing saw in my opinion!

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
My Grandfather built his own construction business from the ground up, and ran that successful business for generations. My Uncle and Dad went to work for him and both learned many skills along the way. Grandpa was a gifted man and he excelled in all facets of construction. Framing, roofing, drywall, etc. But his preference was masonry. He shared many of those skills and his knowledge with his sons, and they later shared that same information with us. Grandpa bought more tools than I will ever own, and he passed many of those tools on to a number of people throughout the years. One thing he instilled in us was to buy the best quality tool that you could afford, because if you took care of it, it would last you and provide for you. I'm sure many of you heard similar phrases from your elders.

I've inherited some of my Grandfather's and Dad's tools over the years, and it brings joy to me knowing they built something using the same exact tools. I've got some Marshalltown tools that have to be 50+ years old, and they work as well today as they did when Grandpa bought them new. I've got a Craftsman framing square that's at least 60+ years old, and it's my "Go-to" tool when I need it.

I've tried my best to buy good quality tools throughout the years, and have oftentimes "Overbought" a tool "Just because." But I'm happy to say, I now have some decent tools that I will someday pass on to my boys.

I've been remodeling our home for far too long, and have been using some of my Dad's drywall tools along the way. I couldn't begin to guess how much mud has been thrown on walls by that man using these very tools. Some time ago, I started to buy some of my own, so I wouldn't be using his if he came over to help. To be honest, I felt as though I wasn't skilled enough or worthy of using his taping knives. 😁

I grabbed a few while I was picking up some other necessities at Home Depot, and figured I'd try them out. I didn't buy the cheap no-name HDX brand they push, and instead ponied up for the slightly more expensive Walboard brand products. They cost a little more, so they HAD to be better. Right??

View attachment 1058899

I have absolutely taken care of these tools, and have washed them off, and dried them after each and every use. I haven't allowed any mud to become caked on and have made sure to keep these tools clean and dry. The only marks on this taping knife are the wear marks on one side of the blade. There are zero knicks in the blade and it has smooth even wear from normal DIY use (I don't work in construction). I was proud of the fact that this knife was showing use, as it was beginning to show some character. I figured I would be gifting this to one of my boys, just like Grandpa did for us.

Well, now I need a new one. But I can't stand the thought of throwing this blade away, simply because of a cheaply made handle. 🙄

Walboard, please improve the quality and duability of your products so that those of us who take pride in our tools, can pass them on to the next generation.

Now, should I buy another Walboard product, or switch to something different? I've heard good things about the Level 5 drywall tools, but I haven't actually used them. What would you professionals recommend for a weekend hack, that's made well to avoid experiencing similar problems?

Thank you in advance!

Henry
That's designed to attract the average wannabe HGTV expert. It obviously has its place but for actual day to day...Nope.

Go buy the stuff you want to last at White Cap and pay the money. If your not sure it will last, lean on the counter sales guy as that's what they are. Your looking for a phenolic handle that is riveted.

No it will not be comfortable, have power seats, or hand warmers. ;)

Fucking Home Depot. Destroying construction one sale at a time, as I was just there at 6:00 am this morning scanning all my own stuff while the check out lady looks over my shoulder. LOL.

Last edited:

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
For professional drywall tools I would buy from FBM or Westside building material in Anaheim. For professional concrete tools there is only 1 place and that is Roseburrough Tool in Orange.
There is something about using the same tool your dad or grandfather used that is still in service today. I have a Mag 77 my dad used in the 90's that he kept in his service truck. I've had it for 15 years and is now in my service truck. The cord has been replace once.
I didn't see this before I commented.
Westside is excellent but I have dropped my wallet more than a few times at Roseburrough tools. Fisher Liquid rock stuff is about as good as it gets.

timstoy

Reaction score

View attachment 1058899

Thank you in advance!

Henry
Wallboard still makes drywall tools with the alder wood handles. I think it’s there professional line but you won’t find them at Home Depot. You will have to buy them from a professional outfit. Years ago a friend of mine had a shop near Wallboard in Long Beach. He knew a guy there and got bags of the wood cut offs from the handles. Made the best firewood for desert trips.

boatpi

Reaction score
Btw; their t measuring and cutting tool is probably one of the finest made in the United States. It’s a class 2 anodized aluminum.

they use an aircraft paint hands done with a screen, all about two blocks away from the wall board warehouse, then it’s riveted by a machine and a hand with a machine made in the 1950s. That tool will last a lifetime.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies and the suggestions, I will look into them to see what I can find. I've put a few miles on this particular taping knife, and am happy with the way the blade performs. I'll just have to come up with an alternative to their low quality handle. 🙄 Like I need another project in my life. 😁

Your ad Here, thank you for the suggestions in Anaheim. I will head over on Monday to see what I can come up with. 👍 Funny you mention the Mag 77 saw. My Dad asked me what I wanted for Christmas years ago, and I told him I wanted a worm drive saw. I still have that one today, and have only replaced the cord once, due to my carelessness. There isn't a better framing saw in my opinion!
Westside is a material yard but if I remember correctly they have a decent size showroom with a decent selection of tools. It will introduce you to what brand tool to be shopping for and then from there you can find it online. Also ask the sales counter guys and they should be able to send you in the correct direction on what to buy. There are many more drywall and steel stud material yards in the Southern California area and check them out in your travels. Professional tools like these won't be found at home depot or lowes. You really need to shop at where the professionals buy their materials from. HD and Lowes are good in a pinch but don't expect a long life out of the tool.

Last edited:

Your ad here

Reaction score
I didn't see this before I commented.
Westside is excellent but I have dropped my wallet more than a few times at Roseburrough tools. Fisher Liquid rock stuff is about as good as it gets.
Roseburrough was my Saturday morning routine for a couple years when I lived in RSM. I got paid on Friday and Saturday morning I make the drive through the canyon and would be there for an hour or 2. If I was low on cash I would take the motorcycle so I would only buy what I could fit in the bike. I liked how they would make custom finish tools. I've had a few made up.

NicPaus

Reaction score
If close to Lawndale Westwood building materials. They sell majority of the drywall used in the Southbay. I have tons of drywall tools but the best one is my Telpro drywall lift. Have both extensions that reach 14 ceiling if I recall. Had it for 14 years now. Makes hanging drywall a 1 man operation.

Backlash

Reaction score
You're welcome Brother!! I don't mind the work, I'm just slow at it because I try to make it perfect with each pass of the knife....and you know how that goes. 😁

Nordie

Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me how much I hate drywall and mud work.

I hate drywall work myself, it's a necessary evil though.

My buddy calls me one day, he's selling his house and needs me to cut some doors down for him. He brings the old doors over so we can template them. I looked him dead in the eye and said, you know it's a lot cheaper to repair drywall vs doors when you punch them right?

I'm guilty of making a couple holes some years back, but never again.

Reactions: DWC

Wedgy

Reaction score
Used to help my Drywall Taper BIL after work, second shift, :D into the night. One night we were taping the 2 Geodesic dome houses on the West side of HWY 78 below the RSF Rd. exit. That's where I learned to hate the lazy weak ass Drywall hangers that couldn't drive a nail home. Easier to nail off the entire house first before even attempting to box a single nail. Finished up that first house by the lights of Gordon's pickup.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I think that my mud knives that have lasted the longest are the one with wood handles and stainless steel blades. I have had them for about 30 years. I’d look for some of those from a speciality supply house.
Garage/estate sales, pawn shops, etc. would be good places to check too.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Used to help my Drywall Taper BIL after work, second shift, :D into the night. One night we were taping the 2 Geodesic dome houses on the West side of HWY 78 below the RSF Rd. exit. That's where I learned to hate the lazy weak ass Drywall hangers that couldn't drive a nail home. Easier to nail off the entire house first before even attempting to box a single nail. Finished up that first house by the lights of Gordon's pickup.
Talk about out of place structures, those always kinda made me shake my head. They'd be awesome up in the mountains somewhere.

RichL

Reaction score
The Home Depot version of most manufacturers are different than the stuff you wound find at real hardware or supply stores.
Always tried to explain this to clients who wanted to supply their own products. Few seemed to understand. Rarely would I allow owner supplied products on my jobs.

DLC

Reaction score
It’s not so much what brand of tools you buy….. it’s who trains the tools to do the best & cleanest work….
LoL

My taper is like a conductor for a symphony!
Every move is expertly maneuvered…. He is good and has a gift - fun to watch him, he makes it look so easy

Backlash

Reaction score
It’s not so much what brand of tools you buy….. it’s who trains the tools to do the best & cleanest work….
LoL

My taper is like a conductor for a symphony!
Every move is expertly maneuvered…. He is good and has a gift - fun to watch him, he makes it look so easy

I completely agree with you DLC. The person behind the knife is the true artist. I am not anywhere near that good! Hahaaa! But I would surely like for my taping knife to last long enough for me to someday become mediocre.....

Last edited:
Reactions: DLC

rrrr

Reaction score
My set of finishing tools is over 40 years old. I started a commercial drywall business in Houston when I was 20 and the town was booming. Somehow I've hung on to them over the years.

My 12" knife has a natural bow in the blade, it's slicked thousands of joints. I can't imagine having to buy new tools today, they can't be the same quality.