WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lower Unit

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
So, Ive been really busy with helping out around a truck shop to trade a little labor for fixing certain things on my truck, and a new gf, and doing stuff around the house and all. But, I was able to get away and go to Naci for 9 days. The boat ran great! Until this last Friday when coming out of Las Tables, it started slipping out of forward. After pulling the shifter out and tightening everything up and check the shift linkage I could check on the water, I conceded and had my buddy pull me all the way back in. Turns out that I spun a prop hub but the sound wasnt just an RPM increase like a prop hub would be so I switched props, dropped the lower unit to check the teeth on the shift shaft on the lower unit and the shaft itself. Both checked out fine so I dipped it in the water and it was still sounding like it was jumping out of gear even though the cable was as far forward as possible.

I havent had a chance to drain the oil yet to see if there are shavings in it but I think its either the forward gear or dog is toast or the arm at the top of the shift shaft has slipped and spun even though it will still go into reverse.

What do you guys think from that description?

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I had what was a similar sounding issue. took it in and they adjusted my linkage in the cowling, (i know you said you did this) fixed in about 1 minute.

Mine was also not going into gear very quick kinda had to force it. He showed me while he was adjusting mine how even though i was full forward the prop could still be turned backwards. he simply adjusted it until the prop would not go backwards and said try that, and if i wasn't satisfied with the feel adjust a little more

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Ya, I adjusted everything under the cowling to get it to go forward but still had the same problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
Had the same thing happen at Naci last year...lost a tooth on the pinion and it was keeping the dog from locking into the fwd gear. Put a new set of sporty gears $700, all new bearings and seals and broke it in for a couple hours then went to Laughlin. As I dropped it in the wife had trouble starting the motor, revved it up, dropped it into reverse and broke the new gears and the drive shaft!!!:grumble: I just finished putting it back together again last week. Broke it in Sunday...gonna try again. Oil will tell and turning it by hand you could hear a clunk on mine. Easy to tell with the water pump impeller out.

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
I havent had a chance to drain the oil yet to see if there are shavings in it but I think its either the forward gear or dog is toast or the arm at the top of the shift shaft has slipped and spun even though it will still go into reverse.

What do you guys think from that description?

If it's the forward gear or the dog clutch I have them left over from mine. You can't buy a pinion seperate so I had to get another set. I can make you a great deal on a forward that has 2 hours on it! I doubt the shaft slipped if it goes into reverse. I also have the special tools you can use if you are going to do it yourself. Is your gearcase a CLE? You have a 2.4 BP right?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
If it's the forward gear or the dog clutch I have them left over from mine. You can't buy a pinion seperate so I had to get another set. I can make you a great deal on a forward that has 2 hours on it! I doubt the shaft slipped if it goes into reverse. I also have the special tools you can use if you are going to do it yourself. Is your gearcase a CLE? You have a 2.4 BP right?

I have just a regular 2.4 lower unit with a Bob's nose cone on it. If the gears work with mine and that is what the problem is, ill probably take you up on that.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Not yet. I haven't had much of a chance to get over there and drain the oil yet. I should be able to in the next couple days though.