WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lowering Dirt Bike, OC Suspension Shop?

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Hey All,

Bought a used 2012 KTM 350 and would like to lower it a bit to be more comfortable.

Trying to avoid a lowering link. I read the right way was to do it without compromising handling is to get suspension lowered internally, front and rear.

I figure it needs fork rebuilt so might as well do the lowering while it's opened up.

Also based on my weight I need a different rear shock spring (230 lb rider here)

Any good shops near La Mirada that can get me dialed in?
Screenshot_20201015-161729_Drive.jpg
20201008_212629.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: DLC

RichieRich

Reaction score
Pete at NOST Suspension at 951-858-9890. He has done all of our KTMs

GETBOATS

Reaction score
Set up sag before you start anything, it may be wrong now....you a desert guy? if so set it at 110-115. too little and it will be twitchy and have a tendency to head shake. what level rider are you

catmandu

Reaction score
I'll give you a number for Graeme Brough, he was in Long Beach area, but haven't talked to him in a while. His number is 310 809-8014, used to run HRC and Kawi factory teams. He did a friend of mines wife's YZ125 and came out great. He has also done mine for off road and I have been very happy with it. Good Luck

GETBOATS

Reaction score
years ago, 2006, I had a yz 125 lowered for my 12 year old son. forks were done with internal spacers limiting up travel, don't recall what was done to the shock. didn't last long........he grew quickly. as I think about it handling was effected.

you don't have much seat, but that's a good idea also

try to work within the factory settings, clean internals sure, but you won't need to speed big $ on re-shimming.

spring are right when they support your riding weight (gear and all) about 1/3 of the way through the travel. (Sag)

all ya need is measuring tape and a buddy

Javajoe

Reaction score
How low are you thinking you need to lower it?

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
If you are any kind of jumps/hard terrain trail/track rider I would advise against removing suspension. It changes the way the bike responds as well.

If you are just cruising fire roads, no worries ! 🤘

oldschool

Reaction score
Take it to someone that knows suspension. You’ll want the correct spring, for your weight, what your doing and your level, and set the sag. If you need to lower the bike, it will likely be with a link. Don’t forget the front either, you want it balanced. Getting the suspension set up correctly is the single best thing you can do, IMHO.

HotRod82

Reaction score
If you are any kind of jumps/hard terrain trail/track rider I would advise against removing suspension. It changes the way the bike responds as well.

If you are just cruising fire roads, no worries ! 🤘

This...... I lowered my 2016 KTM 500 to try it out, (I'm only 5'8) and I'm in the process of putting it back to full height. I'm a solid intermediate rider and IMO it is great for putting around on fire roads and low speed single track but it is terrible and flat out dangerous carrying any speed in the open desert. The bike turns great with the lower CG, but reacts completely different at higher speeds.. I used George at suspension 101 in Sd, he advised me against it because he knows how I ride but I tried it anyway. Good luck, let us know how it works out.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
The only problem with lower seats is that it decreases the peg to seat height and it can sometimes be a chore to stand up. But I do see some value in it if done mildly.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
KTMs are very sensitive to suspension mods. They’re not even very forgiving to changing riders with more than a few lbs weight difference. You probably won’t like the results of lowering.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I'd echo what a lot of people on here are saying, avoid artificially lowering the suspension as much as you can. Also, lowering links have more of an effect on the leverage curve and geometry of the suspension than it has to do with resting height. There are options with cutting the seat, cutting the subframe, adjustable pegs that all help with your rider triangle.

Get the suspension properly set for your weight, riding ability, and riding style. As already mentioned here, Graeme Brough is one of the most respected tuners in the industry and would be my first choice. If you aren't comfortable with someone's garage shop, AHM factory services is in yorba linda and have been crushing it with their desert setups for the baja teams.

havasuhusker

Reaction score
The only problem with lower seats is that it decreases the peg to seat height and it can sometimes be a chore to stand up. But I do see some value in it if done mildly.

Probably have to lower the pegs if he goes with the shaved seat route.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
RaceTech did mine, set it up for my size, weight, and riding style...highly recommend.

lf2

Reaction score
Insideline moto in orange. They are KTM guys. My FIL is a short guy and lowers his bikes quite a bit. I bought my current bike off him (300 xcw) and had them reset the suspension back up for me. Nice guys that know there stuff.

DMF

Reaction score
If you are set on lowering the suspension i would talk to Enzo first. My brother in law owns SDG seats in Santa Ana. He can help you with shaving your seat and putting a bump or step in it. He can also sell you a new seat. His name is Jeff and he has a ton of knowledge.