WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Loyalty

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
When I was still in diapers, a family from Holland moved in next door to us. The man ran a bicycle repair in the fatherland so he took care of the bikes in the neighborhood in the evenings after his day job. Before long, he started selling bikes and his unfinished basement turned into a full time bike shop.

From there, Fritz moved into a basement shop downtown and his son joined him. The downtown basement shop, like the house basement shop, was open studs with everything blackened from soot of the coal that had once heated the building. It was more or less mid evil.

Over the course of the 15, or so, years they spent there, the basement shop filled with so much equipment the bikes were hanging from the ceiling, as well as filling the floor so you could hardly get into the place. The workshop was a bench along one short wall and they allowed themselves just enough work area to fix one bike at a time.

In the 80s, they moved to a huge building. Of course, it was an old building in sorry shape in a lousy part of town but they packed it with bikes and ran a very successful business out of it for 20 years.

Over the course of those 20 years, three grandsons became involved with the thriving business. One of those grandsons was busted a few of times for selling weed. Apparently he had a rather large operation because it hit the local paper. He isn’t part of the bike business anymore and I haven't seen him in over a decade.

Two years ago, they moved to a new place in a much better part of town. This new building is a bit bigger than the old one. I don’t think they have much more inventory but the whole thing is way nicer. I think some of the family women have retired because I haven’t seen them around in a few years.

The local Chamber of Commerce listed them as a $5 million dollar business a few years ago. I don’t know what they would be now but certainly more than that.

I went there to pick up a pair of SPD shoes and the whole family was there. One of the grandsons recognized me as a good customer, smiled, and jumped to help me right away. He said he recognized me as a long time customer from the old store. His Dad came over and informed his son that I had been a customer since the basement store on Lorne Street. That somewhat staggered the son. …. And then his dad cleaned up the spare with a very heart felt thank you for my family being there to help them move into their first house when they moved to Canada and get established in the neighborhood. It was one of the lowest ghettos in the city. Everyone struggled to feed themselves. They don't come from money and neither do we. Then he told me something I hadn’t known before; my Dad helped him start his business back in the early 1960s.

That helped to explain my family’s blood oath loyalty to Dutch Cycle. Needless to say, when I need bike stuff, I go there and always have.

This whole deal got me thinking about their success. They remain humble, loyal, and friendly. Somehow, Fritz recognized me instantly but I’ll bet he hasn’t seen me more than a half dozen times since I was 12 years old. He also knew the names of everyone in my immediate family and asked about their whereabouts and well being. How does a man in his 70s do that?

They gave me the ‘Elphinstone Street discount’, which I think is exactly the same as what everyone else pays. Their prices are pretty sharp so that’s not a problem.

Where does that kind of loyalty come from? There is no question, every bike I ever buy will be delivered through the front door of Dutch Cycle. My bikes have all been their current favorite brand. I expect my future bikes will be, as well. I'm buying whatever they're selling.

:)

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
So, have you had any spd crashes yet TB?? I understand they are always fun!!! A little embarassing from what I've been told too.:D:D:D

Director...
Reaction score
Touching story......I hope you bring your Dutch bike to LA.......so I can run it over with my rent a car......:p

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
A Dutch bike would bust up your rental car like a bus trampled paint cabinet.

snake321

Irish Republican
Reaction score
18614cobi_side.jpg

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
That's me in the front and my pal Timmie Guckes in the back. The shoes I have on had a metal pad with a slot in the middle of it that "locked" onto the pedal and strapped from the top, sewup tires under the rear seat. We rode this bike from Paramount, down Lakewood blvd to Marine stadium, passing cars the entire way, including UP Xemino blvd :eek: a couple times a week. Timmie is the 1st guy to run the Catalina ski race in under one hour, behind Bob Nordskog, in the mid 1960's. Me & Mrs Skyskier just had dinner with Tim & his family last night. Pretty cool to have buddies you've known for 50 + years and still be hangin out with them :D

Attachments

• bike 1.jpg
    bike 1.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 109

Photo Chick

Reaction score
Pretty neat story Tom, I'm glad I took the time to read it and that you took the time to write it. It's a shame so many ma and pop stores have gone away