WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LT Tires on the boat trailer

Gasnsuntanlotion

Reaction score
Time to change the trailer tires? I’ve read several threads about trailer tires are junk. What’s everyone using for LT tires?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
How heavy is the boat/trailer?
And how many axles do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
255/60R 18, this is what’s on my new trailer that Adrenaline Trailers built for me in July of 17. TOYO PROXES.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Sorry was out all day. Howard 25 Bullet. Probably 5000lbs with trailer.

Howard 25? I bet its more than 5000. You should weigh your trailer and boat at a truck scale fully loaded (gas, safety gear, ice chests and other stuff) some time when going to the river. I bet its more like 6000 to 7000 lbs.

Reaction score
Trailer tires work great, but you have to keep them aired up. If you let a trailer sit for 6-8 months, tire pressure can be 20 psi in the spring.
Also, trailer tires don't wear out, they fall apart from age. Even if the tread looks new, if those tires are 10-20 years old, you might expect to see more trouble.

Also, I suggest the "D" rating which has another 2 ply too the side wall thickness.

Gasnsuntanlotion

Reaction score
Howard 25? I bet its more than 5000. You should weigh your trailer and boat at a truck scale fully loaded (gas, safety gear, ice chests and other stuff) some time when going to the river. I bet its more like 6000 to 7000 lbs.
Ya your probably right now that I think about it. Probably 6000lbs plus for sure. I think it was a around 5000lbs dry. It has car tires on it now but there 6 years old. Don’t know if I should switch to a trailer tire or stay with something similar

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
Everything I have read says you should use trailer tires, not car tires because of the sidewalls and lateral forces on a trailer tire.

This is the reason why not to run car tires

next time backing down the ramp when trailer is at a angle step out and look at the tension on the tire side wall

CobraDave

Reaction score
This is the reason why not to run car tires

next time backing down the ramp when trailer is at a angle step out and look at the tension on the tire side wall

My argument to that is if it is a lighter boat and within the load rating of the tire, why not? It is clear that truck tires will not blow out as frequently as trailer tires. The trailer tires have have more sidewall and flex but they blow out probably 5 times as much.

Give me something else cause that is not common sensical in my simple mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

checkrd past

Reaction score
LT tires have double the plys . 8 to 10 much stronger side walls

Englewood

Reaction score
I just bought 7 Hankook Ventus v2 for the Magic trailer. Had great reviews and ratings on Amazon.

StevieHops

Reaction score
BFG Commercials on the heavy trailer. BFG All-Terrains on the light trailer
I 2nd the BFG All terreains. I had them on my old trailer for about 5 years, never had a single flat or blowout. I also put about 3000 miles a year on my boat trailer. Would have at least one blow out a year before I switched.

pronstar

Reaction score
What tire size is needed for OP’s trailer?

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I just put 6 car tires , 225x75 15 on my trailer , added up all the weight the tires “could “ carry , saw that I had about a 2K cushion . I’m done with “trailer “ tires exploding and damaging the boat and trailer every time . I’ll let you all know they fare ...

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
"From tire rack "
  • TIRE TECH: TRAILER TIRES VS. PASSENGER VEHICLE TIRES
(Lea en español)

There are differences in the driving requirements between the tires on your trailer and those on the car or light truck you use to tow it. Therefore, there are distinct differences between the way trailer tires and tow vehicle tires are engineered.

Your tow vehicle is a leader, which means traction is a key focus in the design of its tires. Traction allows your tow vehicle to accelerate down the road, turn around the corner and brake to a stop. Another important consideration is tow vehicle tires are designed for ride comfort, which is achieved in part by allowing their sidewalls to flex.

Your trailer is a follower, which often makes tire sidewall flexing a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers, especially those with a high center of gravity (enclosed/travel trailers) or that carry heavy loads, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Typical passenger radial tires with flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) designated tires help reduce trailer sway.

"Trailers will be more stable and pull better on tires designed specifically for trailer use. Since Special Trailer (ST) tires are constructed with heavier duty materials, they are tougher than typical passenger vehicle tires."

Also consider that Special Trailer (ST), as well as Light Truck (LT) tires are fully rated for trailer applications. This means ST- and LT-sized tires can carry the full weight rating branded on the sidewalls when used on a trailer.

However when P-metric or Euro-metric tires are used on a trailer, the load capacity branded on the sidewalls must be reduced by 9%. This means P-metric or Euro-metric tires with a maximum branded load rating of 1,874 lbs. for use on a car is only rated to carry 1,705 lbs. when used on a trailer.

Comparing the load capacities of a pair of tires of the same dimensions fitted to a single axle trailer, ST225/75R15 Load Range C-sized tires inflated to their maximum of 50 psi provide 4,300 lbs. of load capacity, where P225/75R15 Standard Load-sized tires inflated to their maximum of 35 psi would be limited to 3,410 lbs. of load capacity, a total reduction of 890 pounds.

Trailers will be more stable and pull better on tires designed specifically for trailer use. Since Special Trailer (ST) tires are constructed with heavier duty materials, they are tougher than typical passenger vehicle tires. This is a plus because trailer suspension systems are generally stiffer and less sophisticated than automotive suspension systems.

Special Trailer (ST) Tire Speed Ratings
Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.

However Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax STR tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h) by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.

Do not exceed the wheel's maximum rated pressure. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).

The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.

Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.

Related Links
I still use st tires for trailer its all about rotation and keeping pressures correct
last set i had lasted 7yrs changed them because of age

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I use car tires. My POS trailer tows straight as an arrow, and tire temps are lower than on the tow vehicle when I check them (every fuel stop I lazer them for shits and giggles).

To each their own, but I have had nothing but problems with trailer tires.

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
I'm on the car tire bandwagon.
Hard to believe a boat trailer would be harder on an automobile tire sidewall than cornering hard in a car.

Last edited:

BajaMike

Reaction score
"From tire rack "
  • TIRE TECH: TRAILER TIRES VS. PASSENGER VEHICLE TIRES
(Lea en español)

There are differences in the driving requirements between the tires on your trailer and those on the car or light truck you use to tow it. Therefore, there are distinct differences between the way trailer tires and tow vehicle tires are engineered.

Your tow vehicle is a leader, which means traction is a key focus in the design of its tires. Traction allows your tow vehicle to accelerate down the road, turn around the corner and brake to a stop. Another important consideration is tow vehicle tires are designed for ride comfort, which is achieved in part by allowing their sidewalls to flex.

Your trailer is a follower, which often makes tire sidewall flexing a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers, especially those with a high center of gravity (enclosed/travel trailers) or that carry heavy loads, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Typical passenger radial tires with flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) designated tires help reduce trailer sway.

"Trailers will be more stable and pull better on tires designed specifically for trailer use. Since Special Trailer (ST) tires are constructed with heavier duty materials, they are tougher than typical passenger vehicle tires."

Also consider that Special Trailer (ST), as well as Light Truck (LT) tires are fully rated for trailer applications. This means ST- and LT-sized tires can carry the full weight rating branded on the sidewalls when used on a trailer.

However when P-metric or Euro-metric tires are used on a trailer, the load capacity branded on the sidewalls must be reduced by 9%. This means P-metric or Euro-metric tires with a maximum branded load rating of 1,874 lbs. for use on a car is only rated to carry 1,705 lbs. when used on a trailer.

Comparing the load capacities of a pair of tires of the same dimensions fitted to a single axle trailer, ST225/75R15 Load Range C-sized tires inflated to their maximum of 50 psi provide 4,300 lbs. of load capacity, where P225/75R15 Standard Load-sized tires inflated to their maximum of 35 psi would be limited to 3,410 lbs. of load capacity, a total reduction of 890 pounds.

Trailers will be more stable and pull better on tires designed specifically for trailer use. Since Special Trailer (ST) tires are constructed with heavier duty materials, they are tougher than typical passenger vehicle tires. This is a plus because trailer suspension systems are generally stiffer and less sophisticated than automotive suspension systems.

Special Trailer (ST) Tire Speed Ratings
Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.

However Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax STR tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h) by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.

Do not exceed the wheel's maximum rated pressure. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).

The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.

Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.

Related Links
I still use st tires for trailer its all about rotation and keeping pressures correct
last set i had lasted 7yrs changed them because of age

Excellent article. ALL you guys who put car/truck tires on trailers should read it closely.

Gasnsuntanlotion

Reaction score
Trailer tires ride better but LT tires last longer? I don’t know what to buy now! LoL

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
I should have been more helpful in my original post, I was pulling my 28 Bullet originally on a Ellis trailer 2 axel on boat tires. Stockton, Ca to Havasu is 550 miles one way. Rough ride, so then decided and built the new Adrenaline trailer 3 axel, 3 axel over 2 is a big difference but to me the LT tires was a huge difference. A much more solid ride.

Ray

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I walked into discount tire in Havasu after a blowout on my trailer that blew my fender out too. The guy there told ,e he had 3 different tires for my trailer. I went with the expensive ones. I knew my old ones were troubled, but I didn’t expect a blowout within 4 miles. It sucked. Date codes are no joke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
ever feel the thickness of the side wall on a commercial trailer (big rig) tire? if you have, you aren't reading this crap, LMAO. it's fuggin thick. even correctly inflated typical trailer tires for boats/rv's are so weak that they super heat and explode. especially when it gets over 100* in the summer

Last edited:

Ricks raft

Reaction score
I must just be lucky(and I'm not normally) the only time I've had a trailer tire fail was when I got a bent axle hitting a curb. It's 450 miles to havasu for me. Tires looked good when I left, when I got there cords were showing on one side of tire. Put a new one on, had a blow out before needles on way back. Found a used one in needles made it home 400 miles. Had axle straightened/aligned. Never another problem.

I have towed 10's of thousands of miles with multiple trailers, sometimes 5-7 year old tires, thru the desert at 65+, 110+ degrees. Sometimes an overloaded car hauler by 30% 400 mile trips, never a blow out. Mostly trailer tires but in the old days some were just car tires.

I am knocking on wood now...

pronstar

Reaction score
ever feel the thickness of the side wall on a commercial trailer (big rig) tire? if you have, you aren't reading this crap, LMAO. it's fuggin thick. even correctly inflated typical trailer tires for boats/rv's are so weak that they super heat and explode. especially when it gets over 100* in the summer

You can even tell the difference in weight and thickness between a trailer tire, and an LT tire. An LT tire is close to twice the weight.

Trailer tires have less material and are lighter. They aren’t made more”heavy duty”...in fact, their load capacity comes from their ridiculously low speed rating.

A tire load capacity is at max rated speed. Load capacity increases as speed decreases. An easy way to increase load capacity is to lower the speed rating.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
There's too much engineering in the article......most of these guys only understand price. ;)
Price? most good LT tires are more than trailer tires. I've read that Tire Rack article several times before, but in real world use it doesn't seem to hold water, guys who run LT tires have fewer problems, period. I've always thought lack of use had something to do with it, as well as speed ratings. Am I mistaken or aren't some of the custom trailer manufactures using LT tires?

Webuildcustom

Reaction score
My argument to that is if it is a lighter boat and within the load rating of the tire, why not? It is clear that truck tires will not blow out as frequently as trailer tires. The trailer tires have have more sidewall and flex but they blow out probably 5 times as much.

Give me something else cause that is not common sensical in my simple mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tend to agree with this.

Regardless of the theory behind the design differance the real life results prove different.

I have a large handful of trailers and with trailer tires there always in your mind and a consistent maintenance item (almost annaully) with car tires there far more likely to get changed due to age then a blow out. With that said I always check the wieght and speed rating on the tires and buy quality tires. I just put cooper discover hts on the trailer I just finished for my boat and would have never considered using trailer tires on it.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Ya your probably right now that I think about it. Probably 6000lbs plus for sure. I think it was a around 5000lbs dry. It has car tires on it now but there 6 years old. Don’t know if I should switch to a trailer tire or stay with something similar
BTW, I don't know what you carry, but Howard says a closed bow 25 Bullet is 3,800 lbs. and all of the motor options are big blocks.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
There's too much engineering in the article......most of these guys only understand price. ;)
Have you never paid attention on this site? Most guys here will buy the best they can get regardless of price. I have never met or heard of a group of people that buy for quality over price more than here.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Im running car tires.. Not entirely by choice.. I wanted to run LT'S but car tires are the only thing that fits my damm trailer. Its so low profile i can barely fit anything under those fenders. So far so good..granted its only been less than a year with them.. We'll see:D

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I’ve been running car tires on both of my boat’s and one of my smaller tandem utility trailers for years. Never ever one problem with them. Even on my 257 Carrera. I don’t even carry a spare actually.

On my bigger trailers I run 235/85-16 LT tires. They way out last ST tires.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Trailer tires have gotten so shitty over the last 10 or so years i won't run them any more, Carlisles and whatever else, they are overpriced and complete shit. Paper thin, and very poor construction, the second they lose a little air they are confetti, absolutely no warning. I'll take a pickup truck/ passenger car tire all day every day over a bs trailer tire, car/truck tires usually end up being cheaper as a bonus even though i'd pay more for em.

If you need the weight, go LT, but avoid trailer tires at all cost is my opinion.

TripleB

Reaction score
Time to change the trailer tires? I’ve read several threads about trailer tires are junk. What’s everyone using for LT tires?

Just a question, but insurance companies look at tow rating and alike after an accident, would using LT tires void an insurance claim?

I dont know, but Insurance companies are always looking for way to NOT pay the claim

pronstar

Reaction score
Just a question, but insurance companies look at tow rating and alike after an accident, would using LT tires void an insurance claim?

I dont know, but Insurance companies are always looking for way to NOT pay the claim

No.

Insurance policies are exclusionary.

Which means if something isn’t explicitly excluded in your policy, then you’re covered.

TripleB

Reaction score
No.

Insurance policies are exclusionary.

Which means if something isn’t explicitly excluded in your policy, then you’re covered.

So I can tow a 20,000lb boat with an S-10?

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I can only use car tires since I have not seen 17 in trailer. If you have looked at the 3rd axle tires in a corner they almost look like they want to fold off the rim backing into the driveway.

pronstar

Reaction score
So I can tow a 20,000lb boat with an S-10?

You can do what you want.
You may get dropped, but if there’s no named exclusion then policies pay.

You can drive drunk (a crime) at 140mph (potential felony) and kill a pedestrian (a felony) because the mobile meth lab in your trunk blew up (a felony), and your insurance will pay out to the policy limit.

But you think an overloaded vehicle (show me the vehicle code where that’s a crime at all for non-comm) is going to cause your company not to pay?

Rubbish.

Here’s a list of all sorts of illegal acts that insurance will pay-out for:
https://www.insure.com/car-insurance/insurance-company-pays-for-illegal-acts.html

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Fun fact: if your shitty ten year old trailer tires (car, trailer or LT) do blow and damage your covered trailer (or covered boat that is on your trailer), your insurance will cover it. Matter of fact I know of at least one carrier that will cover that shitty ten year old tire that caused the mess too!
Cheers!

MohavValley

Reaction score
Got some wang ( Chinese) LT , 10ply load E that came on my box trailer, one started to bubble so I read the date code 2008, so they're 11 years old and just started to seperate, ran the other 3 for 2 more trips and there dry cracking between the treads but still holding up.

LT, 10 ply, load E are the only way to go, well unless you go 14 ply, load G :)

So to sum it up I can't believe how well even the Chinese LT tires have lasted. My buddy that continues to run "trailer tires" changes at least 2 of his 4 every year or every other year.

Last edited:

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Got some wang ( Chinese) LT , 10ply load E that came on my box trailer, one started to bubble so I read the date code 2008, so they're 11 years old and just started to seperate, ran the other 3 for 2 more trips and there dry cracking between the treads but still holding up.

LT, 10 ply, load E are the only way to go, well unless you go 14 ply, load G :)

Here we go again.
Put the best tires you can on your trailer and your tow vehicle.
What is more important, price or safety for your protection of your family and possessions?
YMVV

MohavValley

Reaction score
Thanks there Tire Marshall Bill.

I got it handled, trailers sitting for the summer, no need to let the new set rot in the heat for the next 6 months.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
It has car tires on it now but there 6 years old. Don’t know if I should switch to a trailer tire or stay with something similar
Stick with the car tires then, it obviously works just fine. I've been running car tires on my triple axle 7k lb trailer for 18 years, never had a blowout, never destroyed a sidewall in a tight turn. I'm running Hankook Optimos now.

Lucky Larry

Reaction score
Here we go again.
Put the best tires you can on your trailer and your tow vehicle.
What is more important, price or safety for your protection of your family and possessions?
YMVV
Agreed I only tow once a year to Lake Powell so I thought maybe I could get away with one more year wrong!!! I bought 4 new tires but paid for eight!!!!! When in need. Got there at 525 am boat was leaving at 6!!!!

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I personally think all the articles and hype about trailer tires being the correct saying are all to benefit the tire companies and sellers, they are cheap shit Chinese tires that are very high profit and that’s why they push them.
This is my opinion I have no facts to back this up.

The only US made trailer tire that I know of now is the Goodyear, I think it’s called endurance tire, I put four on my pontoon trailer we’ll see what happens.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I use car tires and replace every 5 years.