WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Luftgekühlt 8 - entry accepted!

sirbob

Reaction score
I was getting tickets for this years event and saw a link to enter a car for the show. I thought what the heck (not expecting to be picked). I got the email this morning saying my car has been selected - kind of cool:).

Now I have to get it ready!

I just made appointment to have a full chassis detail done with dry ice blasting. I have heard about this for a long time but its kind of costly so I put it off. Now that I have a deadline and a reason to do it, I pulled the trigger and booked it. Cant wait to see how it comes out.

Side view Griffin C2S.jpeg

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
How exciting!!! Kind of fun to do it without the expectation on ly to be selected. Low stress and pressure and anything to come of it is a bonus. I am sure that you are going to have a blast. Congratulations!!!!

sintax

Reaction score
Can't believe I've never heard of dry ice blasting, just watched a video on it. Super cool way to get off grime and grease without damaging the surface

yup, its what soda blasting was 10 years ago, way less cleanup too

its super cool shit for sure.

sirbob

Reaction score
With the car being picked to show at the upcoming Luft event https://luftgekuhlt.com/ in October, I thought I would have a serious detail done. The first step is the chassis.

These are before shots of the underside - I’m looking forward to seeing the results after a dry ice detail. Wheels will be coming off, as will all the panels on the underside of the car. In these pics the motor and tranny panels are off. The tranny doesn’t look too bad now because I had a new clutch put in last year and it was done when it was out of the car. But I expect it will look better after this.

Once complete a new satin coating will go on after all the cosmolen (sp?) is taken off.

1C18A7DF-621A-44FA-8337-C463715EBF8A.jpeg
3FC3B5C7-25D4-4A60-BF81-C794EC1C81FD.jpeg
611B1FF9-858C-43FC-BB9F-9812A59E8B4C.jpeg
68FAAE0B-5823-41F8-B79D-040423FA6E7E.jpeg
1FA576A2-2644-4866-A234-238352AF037C.jpeg
FB94C5AA-7891-4BDB-AA9E-54301550E907.jpeg

Last edited:

sintax

Reaction score
I was getting tickets for this years event and saw a link to enter a car for the show. I thought what the heck (not expecting to be picked). I got the email this morning saying my car has been selected - kind of cool:).

I just made appointment to have a full chassis detail done with dry ice blasting. I have heard about this for a long time but its kind of costly so I put it off. Now that I have a deadline and a reason to do it, I pulled the trigger and booked it. Cant wait to see how it comes out.

any hookups on tickets?

I'd love to take my pops, hes got a few porsches, including an 68 long nose.

Jimmyv

Reaction score
BEAUTIFUL! 993s are amazing!
I’ve always wanted an air cooled Porsche, but by comparison I’m a poor man with a 996 Turbo.
What does dry ice blasting cost?

dave29

Reaction score
I’ve always wanted an air cooled Porsche, but by comparison I’m a poor man with a 996 Turbo.
Nothing wrong with a 996 Turbo. I had a 993 Turbo back in 2006. Traded it in on a 997 Turbo cab. Do you think I'm kicking myself every day. Midnight blue with cashmere. Enjoy your 996.

sirbob

Reaction score
any hookups on tickets?

I'd love to take my pops, hes got a few porsches, including an 68 long nose.
It sold out in hours - I’m sure there will be some available on resellers but I don’t have any extras 😢

sirbob

Reaction score

It depends what you have them do - I’m spending around 2k. I’m excited to se e what it looks like.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Can't believe I've never heard of dry ice blasting, just watched a video on it. Super cool way to get off grime and grease without damaging the surface
I hear it's the hot ticket for graffiti removal.

lenmann

Reaction score

View attachment 1154825

While there are lots of things to not like about SoCal these days, even the most jaded amongst us have to admit that the volume and quality of car events there is unmatched anywhere else on the planet. The Luft 8 pre-events look simply amazing and I find myself with a serious case of Missing Out as the main event is sold out.

@sirbob; Can you give us a little more detail on what exactly Luft 8 is? A car show? Art installation? Gathering of the faithful?

Beautiful 911 btw and having recently (finally) joined the air cooled club I really enjoy your show reports.

sirbob

Reaction score
While there are lots of things to not like about SoCal these days, even the most jaded amongst us have to admit that the volume and quality of car events there is unmatched anywhere else on the planet. The Luft 8 pre-events look simply amazing and I find myself with a serious case of Missing Out as the main event is sold out.

@sirbob; Can you give us a little more detail on what exactly Luft 8 is? A car show? Art installation? Gathering of the faithful?

Beautiful 911 btw and having recently (finally) joined the air cooled club I really enjoy your show reports.
You nailed it - it’s all air cooled cars / and definitely a bit of an art thing. They like to display the cars in neat ways depending on the location they use.

Sadly this year will be at a location they have used before so it will be interesting to see how they show the cars and what they change from the last time they were here 4/5 years ago.

It was started by Patrick Long (factory Porsche driver) and a couple of others.

Magnus Walker / Jeff Zwart and others are regulars…

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
My 964 was in Luft 7 which was in Indianapolis, the only Luft show outside of California. I'm missing Luft 8 by less than a week which I'm bummed about. @sirbob I know the excitement when that acceptance email showed up! I too went ahead with a crazy detail and ceramic coating
a week before the show.

Luftgekuhlt is aircooled in German. Its a gathering of some of the best of the best aircooled Porsches displayed in unique settings not typically utilized for car events. It is a special day for Porsche enthusiasts.
9SIX4.png

Unknown-5.jpeg

SoCalDave

Reaction score
With my previous employer, Husky Injection Molding our PET customers used dry ice blasting to clean their molds. It's fast, efficient and will not damage a $700k mold.
There is about a $50k investment though to get a good machine.

Some understanding of the process and it is getting really popular in the auto restoration/detailing industry.

dave29

Reaction score
You nailed it - it’s all air cooled cars / and definitely a bit of an art thing. They like to display the cars in neat ways depending on the location they use.

Sadly this year will be at a location they have used before so it will be interesting to see how they show the cars and what they change from the last time they were here 4/5 years ago.

It was started by Patrick Long (factory Porsche driver) and a couple of others.

Magnus Walker / Jeff Zwart and others are regulars…
Universal Studios back lot this year?

sirbob

Reaction score
Is Matt at R20 doing your Dry ice blasting?

Yes - I dropped the car off there on Saturday.

My 964 was in Luft 7 which was in Indianapolis, the only Luft show outside of California. I'm missing Luft 8 by less than a week which I'm bummed about. @sirbob I know the excitement when that acceptance email showed up! I too went ahead with a crazy detail and ceramic coating
a week before the show.

Luftgekuhlt is aircooled in German. Its a gathering of some of the best of the best aircooled Porsches displayed in unique settings not typically utilized for car events. It is a special day for Porsche enthusiasts.
View attachment 1158385
View attachment 1158386

Great look - I love the stance!

sirbob

Reaction score
Very nice. Matt just went to town on my Dad's Bronco. I can tell by being there once....he almost always has something cool in his shop.

View attachment 1158564

I love that lift he has with the under carriage lights - very cool for the work he does but also for pictures of the chassis. Love the old school Broncos!

He pulled a 911 GT3 off so I could put mine on - cool stuff there for sure.

Quick before shot

8BEB714A-6C16-439D-806C-A0568F5F46F1.jpeg

sirbob

Reaction score
you realize you cant ever drive that car again right?

Haha - they are going to put a satin coating on it that should keep it nice but still leave a clean finish. If I didn’t live near the beach I’d probably go with out it but I think I should put it on living where I do.

And your tags are expired...just sayin...

Haha - I just noticed that in these pics. Heck I just put 3 new stickers on cars in the last month. This one slipped through the cracks! Gotta get it done.

HgH Vltg

Reaction score

Jimmyv

Reaction score
I so badly want to do this. Not get it done, but rent or buy a machine to do this myself.

Anybody have insight on these Dry ice blasters? Can they be bought or rented?

My garage NEEDS one of these 😍

Last edited:

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I so badly want to do this. Not get it done, but rent or buy a machine to do this myself.

Anybody have insight on these Dry ice blasters? Can they be bought or rented?

My garage NEEDS one of these 😍

A quick search and Amazon has them for about $3k. Keep in mind you'll need a significant air compressor and a supply of dry ice to get the job done.

71QUexxWdxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

HgH Vltg

Reaction score
He's always the best with updates as well. So many pictures haha.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I’m surprised as a hot rod guy you don’t know about it?

Never.

Stuff I was working on was usually in pieces, so those pieces would just go to sand blast and powder coat.

I haven't watched any vids yet, but this process appears to be for Whole cars and NOT JUST pieces? It's more for owners than builders I'm thinking?

I'll look into it more when I get home. Always good to learn new things.

👍🏼

River Runnin

Reaction score
Damn! Why didn't you just Title it Volkswagen? -- thought it was some kind of Sex Toy ad! ;)

bonesfab

Reaction score
So after seeing this I went online and enquired about one of these machines. Got an email back and the machine for this type of app is about 50k and you need a massive air supply. like a 25 hp compressor. I guess I will tap out of this early. But a super cool process.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So after seeing this I went online and enquired about one of these machines. Got an email back and the machine for this type of app is about 50k and you need a massive air supply. like a 25 hp compressor. I guess I will tap out of this early. But a super cool process.

So 15k for a compressor, 50k for the unit, and another 10k the install...

You'd have to clean a whole lotta cars to pay for that deal! 😱

DB / HAV

Reaction score
How about pool tile cleaning and where do you get the dry ice and how do you keep it cold? I don’t know much about dry ice but I’d love to have a small unit at the house 🤷. Great pictures & video! Thank you!!