WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring Question?

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I need to put some flooring in a house. With dog(s) and water I am looking at the Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring. I had kind of settled on Lifeproof brand from Home Depot. However I found a design I like better, SmartCore Pro at Lowe's.

I don't know anything about this product. Does anyone have the SmartCore brand? Thoughts?

Sent From Tapatalk

satellitemike

Reaction score
All good stuff, some better than others. Installed it in my home and going to be installing in rental house next week.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I cant tell you about all the brands, but I can say that I installed the SmartCore stuff from Lowes in my house, its been about a year or so now with a clumsy German Shepard and 9 year old running around, and it still looks great and easy to clean.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I don't know much about it, but about a year ago the big box stores were only carrying brands that had about a 4-6 mil top ware layer, the flooring stores had products with 12-20 mil wear layers and were better in other areas as well. Overall we changed and went with tile, but it did seem like pretty good stuff.

wet hull

Reaction score
Just remember that with all these life proof/waterproof products that the seams and areas where they meet the walls or bath tubs are not. Water can get down into those joints and cause mold/ rot. Otherwise a great product.

2Driver

Reaction score
My buddy built his home with this. It is commercial grade, pretty pricey but amazing. It’s been down in the BofA in Payson for 10 years and looks new. His home came out awesome and this guy is anal beyond normal. :)

RichL

Reaction score
LVT is a great product, and I won't speak to any particular brand. The only thing I will suggest is to remember the deal you get at one of the big box stores isn't always such a good deal. Do yourself a favor and check specs with a flooring store as well. I don't know if you guys have Prosource Wholesale flooring stores out there, but they can be a good source of material as well.

Just my $.02

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
FIL is putting it in his $2.5MM house tight now before selling it. Pretty cool because he can just put it over the top of his old school marble floors.

NicPaus

Reaction score
My wholesale price just went up do to tariffs. In Parker a lot my neighbors used the cheap 1 lowes and hd carry. The heat has destroyed it within a year. Buckling and seperation. Mine has held up. I used Belair flooring. They carry some that cost as much as real wood lots of options. I have it in my house as well.

cofooter

Reaction score
Speaking of flooring, have you guys seen that new ceramic tile from Daltile that has the snap together backing on it, like what locks laminate floors, and special grout that flexes. Pretty cool idea, expensive, but I suppose you save a ton on installation in labor time...........

DLC

Reaction score
They have a pad that you can install below the LVP this helps with the harshness on your feet when walking.

i would look a flooring store also, just to compare products.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
If heat is an issue try SPC flooring, its better for heat. I had this installed about 4 months ago at home great stuff.

DC-88

Reaction score
These products have come really far in the last few years. I'd avoid the HD/Lowes stuff unless on a real budget. For your own house or a nice one, check out these brands -
1. Paradigm - conquest line is 20mil, and they have another line with great colors named after surf spots and islands etc. that I am planning on using in the next spec house
2. Karndean
3. Provenza now makes some decent lvp
4. Core tek
5. Aduramax
6. Metro floor

Magic1

Reaction score
My Buddy Brian own Advantage flooring by Canyon Lake 951-244-0660
He has been suppling me with all my new stuff for each house and has all the new products Id give him a call and let him help you. Say Scot sent you

wzuber

Reaction score
Several months back floor and decor had some real nice looking 20 mil products that are waterproof w/ a good warranty. We are going to be installing it in our river house before the end of this year.

boat527

Reaction score
Several months back floor and decor had some real nice looking 20 mil products that are waterproof w/ a good warranty. We are going to be installing it in our river house before the end of this year.

We used CoreTec plus XL a few years ago.. planks..bigger and longer. Cork backing.. Waterproof.
IMG_20190311_075811_DRO.jpg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I’m looking into this as well for the new house. House has pre-finished red oak hardwood throughout, with microbeveled edges. My flooring buddy said I can go over the top of it without issue. Hardwood is in good shape and on a slab floor.

Was looking at Lions floor products. 20 mil wear layer, 6-7 MM overall thickness.

Thoughts? Need to lay about 1300 sqft of this stuff in a few weeks

boat527

Reaction score
That looks nice. Does it have a scraped texture to it as well?
Ours does. Wife liked the barn wood distressed look. I'm not sure what they have now. We looked at all kinds of stuff, brought samples home.. in the end I was like, "pick one", then it was ordered and in!

Edit:. We were fortunate enough to find a local contractor who had a larger sample panel to look at. That helps a ton. It always is a tad darker when you see them all together, ( there's like 5 or 6 patterns in the bundle). When I laid it I had to make sure which one was going down.. I pulled a few up.. scraped next to scraped or knot and knot..etc..

Edit

Last edited:

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
I will be doing my home soon. Look at Republic(expensive) as well look at Parliament. My buddy has been doing floors for 20 plus years and he said for me to go with Parliament. They are cheaper than Republic but the exact specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
The people that built our house put in Atroguard. We like it. Looks good and cleans easy. 72 hour waterproof at the seams. Only thing I do not like is the clickedy clack of the dogs nails on it.

C08H18

Reaction score
We shopped for new flooring last year for our Phoenix remodel. Wife was sold on LV and then we talked to the owner of a flooring company. She said that LVT was popular in area where it didn't get too hot but did not recommend for Phoenix. They only installed in 10% of homes they do. The issue is that LVT warranty is only good up to 85F (the floor can't exceed 85F). it's in the fine print of the warranty and I did verify. I keep my house at 90 in the summers while we're up north so it was a no-go for us and we went with ceramic tile. I suspect the concrete may stay alittle cooler, but didn't want to get into a pissing match if i ever had a failure.

adam909

Reaction score
if you want quality and more options to choose from stay away from the big department stores.. Go to a flooring place alot better brands.. We went with republic flooring.. (brand of flooring). The price will double compared to the big department stores.

Dbroncos

Reaction score
Just got mine installed. Went with republic brand vinyl planks. We love it.

Attachments

• 4DBDE849-031F-45E2-B7F9-2CABED746EF1.jpeg
    4DBDE849-031F-45E2-B7F9-2CABED746EF1.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 535
  • 245AB12C-E6F4-46AE-801C-024038949AF3.jpeg
    245AB12C-E6F4-46AE-801C-024038949AF3.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 517
  • FFDE1ED4-76A2-4B31-BC42-3AD31935A065.jpeg
    FFDE1ED4-76A2-4B31-BC42-3AD31935A065.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 528
  • AEB8EA6F-74DF-432E-A556-9260C05E448E.jpeg
    AEB8EA6F-74DF-432E-A556-9260C05E448E.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 499
  • BF059D7C-915D-4DCD-9901-A8F36BB008AC.jpeg
    BF059D7C-915D-4DCD-9901-A8F36BB008AC.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 525
  • AAAB4110-3A62-4ABA-AA41-7DF8D9BB939B.jpeg
    AAAB4110-3A62-4ABA-AA41-7DF8D9BB939B.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 509

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I spoke to a floor cover guy that used to do work for me. He had a Rep bring me a sample of this. Has anyone used this type of LVP?

MSI Everlife XL Cyrus: Color - Fauna

It looks good, just curious if anyone had used it.

Sent From Tapatalk

NicPaus

Reaction score
My price just went up. Importer said all prices will for vinyl. 25% increase from tariffs. The cheap 1 i used in Parker held up to the 120 Temps.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I spoke to a floor cover guy that used to do work for me. He had a Rep bring me a sample of this. Has anyone used this type of LVP?

MSI Everlife XL Cyrus: Color - Fauna

It looks good, just curious if anyone had used it.

Sent From Tapatalk

It has a 12mil wear layer and 5mm thick. Its rated for light commercial and residential. You would need to get it under $3 sqft OTD. Id rather have a floor with a 20mil wear layer however the 12 may be fine. MSI does have some with a 20mil. Also make sure they have all the trim moldings and transitions you would need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
How does this stuff hold up to sunlight/UV? I put some cheap traffic master peel and stick vinyl tiles down 10 years ago in a crappy tiny extra bathroom and they turned yellow within 5 years...is the newer stuff better?

Rbcconst

Reaction score
How does this stuff hold up to sunlight/UV? I put some cheap traffic master peel and stick vinyl tiles down 10 years ago in a crappy tiny extra bathroom and they turned yellow within 5 years...is the newer stuff better?

I would say yes. There are several manufactures that have a life time warranty.

Dbroncos

Reaction score
Looks amazing. How’s it feel to walk on?

The style we got has a little texture to it to make it look like wood. It feels like a wood plank but it is still a floating floor so its not as solid as a hard wood. We still love it. The only issue is my 7 year old lab slides going down the stairs. The wife puts rubber shoes on our labs front paws to come down in the morning.

WYRD

Reaction score
I've been wanting to do a project in the fifth wheel to rip out the carpet and put in vinyl flooring.
Anybody have experience with a particular product in a moving vehicle?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

They feel more premium if you go the glue-down route instead of floating.

Costs go up but still cheaper and more durable than other options.

My mentor just flipped this house, $30k over asking and glue-down vinyl [emoji106]

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
My buddy has a few more days to complete. We decided to add complete stairs and loft. This is Parliament Flooring. Awesome feel and really solid and quiet to walk on! Could not be happier!

This is our upstairs catwalk hallway. I’ll put pics up once all complete!
IMG_0203.jpg

Babyback

Reaction score
I have provenza and republic LVP samples in the house this week and trying to decide between the two manufacturers....any thoughts?

I would like to check out parliament flooring...In the OC and primarily looking at flooring options at ProSource

Babyback

Reaction score
I also grabbed some paradigm but I should have grabbed the conquest line (20 mil) to compare apples to apples with the provenza and republic

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
I have provenza and republic LVP samples in the house this week and trying to decide between the two manufacturers....any thoughts?

I would like to check out parliament flooring...In the OC and primarily looking at flooring options at ProSource

Mine is complete with Parliament. This is a brand new color combo they just came out with. Beyond happy!
IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
It has a 12mil wear layer and 5mm thick. Its rated for light commercial and residential. You would need to get it under $3 sqft OTD. Id rather have a floor with a 20mil wear layer however the 12 may be fine. MSI does have some with a 20mil. Also make sure they have all the trim moldings and transitions you would need.

I ended up going with the MSI EverLife Prescott series. 20mil wear layer. It doesn't have the beveled edge, but after talking to people who have beveled edges, they look good, but harder to clean dust and dog hair. Part of it is installed, and looks great. 1 day in, and I am happy with it. LOL.

DLC

Reaction score
what materials was used for the wall ? LVT, porcelain or a wood....
Your flooring turned out really nice, stairs are sweet everything flows from room to room
View attachment 933533
1E8F0EAD-7BF4-4A1D-90C8-071FC9AB84C2.png

DLC

Reaction score
I ended up going with the MSI EverLife Prescott series. 20mil wear layer. It doesn't have the beveled edge, but after talking to people who have beveled edges, they look good, but harder to clean dust and dog hair. Part of it is installed, and looks great. 1 day in, and I am happy with it. LOL.

post a pic or 2 when your all wrapped up

PaPaG

Reaction score
We went with Home Depot and their higher end product...had them install it as well in our ft mohave house, company out of Havasu did the install top notch installer, quick, very detail oriented, would hire this guy for any job I have in the future that is for sure. So far over a year installed not the smooth surface has a bit texture, I thought it would be hard to clean wife says no problemo...2 dogs and they love compared to the slick flooring of their regular product, no sliding around like the slick stuff...very very happy. Been over a year now with lots of use not one single issue so far......our color is like DLC that is on his wall..looks amazing in the house.

Reactions: DWC

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
What kind a price installed. Wife wants wood, but I’m open to this. Does it feel like wood and how does it sound when stepped on, does it feel solid

Reactions: DWC

Babyback

Reaction score
MSI or Republic Flooring for LVP...down to two options

LuauLounge

Reaction score
We did 1300 sq ft of Radom plank Core Lux from Lumber Liquidators. It is 8mm and weighs 3.5lbs/ sq ft. Looks great, textured and I suspect it will wear fine. Walks great and is quiet with an underlayment.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I need to put some flooring in a house. With dog(s) and water I am looking at the Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring. I had kind of settled on Lifeproof brand from Home Depot. However I found a design I like better, SmartCore Pro at Lowe's.

I don't know anything about this product. Does anyone have the SmartCore brand? Thoughts?

Sent From Tapatalk

Have smart core in my house.. My employees have laid a couple hundred thousand sq feet of different brands. Buy a thick color layer, quality underlayment (or one that is built in). Do not buy a low end product. It's not rocket science to install but there is some prep work to do it right.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Wrap Up...

The EverLife Prescott in Fauna color I went with is a Rigid Core with acoustic backing. The thickness says 6.5mm with a 20mil wear layer. I don't know if 6.5 is the overall thickness, or the thickness of the color layer.

The fooring has great texture that looks just like woodgrain when you look across the floor In the light. The texture also gives you good grip, even decent grip in socks. LOL.

The pieces lock together tight, and the seams are almost invisible. I didn't want beveled edges, as I thought it would be more difficult to keep clean with lab dog hair and dust.

The Installers said the pieces lock together great, but the locking mechanism requires a little more work and take a little longer than some of the other brands.

I bought the floor from a flooring guy. I believe he got it from Flooring Liquidators. He charged me $2.50 sf out the door, which was $1.50 sf difference from the floor I was looking at at Lowes. It saved approx $1,500 per 1,000 sf.

So far, it is only installed on a slab and it has now hollow sound. This week they will be installing the upstairs. So we will see how that sounds.

I liked the new rustic looking floors with grays and blacks. However I went with a more traditional looking floor for the long term. I also didn't want to be locked into gray and black colors due to the floor. I joke that I am so far behind the times, that I am actually ahead of the times when traditional comes back in style. [emoji3][emoji3]

Here are a few pics. Not cleaned up, and still construction stuff laying around. We have no furniture right now. Sitting on your pool chaise lounges everyday should be like a vacation everyday....but dont be fooled, it's not. LOL. I have been using the chaise lounges and the camping chair for 2 months. Although it was a bare slab, as I tore the carpet out the day the conch went.

I redid the fireplace also, but it isn't finished yet. I still need to finish the stone around the hearth and do something with the mantle. For the mantle I used a 6x12 header that had been aged outside for a couple years. It was cut to length, cut to 7.5 inches deep, then routed all the edges. I'm not sure yet what I will finish it with.

20201214_084705.jpg
20201214_093951.jpg
20201213_173138.jpg
20201214_094121.jpg
20201211_113452.jpg

Sent From Tapatalk

wzuber

Reaction score
Speaking of flooring, have you guys seen that new ceramic tile from Daltile that has the snap together backing on it, like what locks laminate floors, and special grout that flexes. Pretty cool idea, expensive, but I suppose you save a ton on installation in labor time...........
Yes I have and agree it is very nice looking material as is all Daltile typically. Very hi quality products. I have not used it though so I can't speak to that.