WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

M1 Evil tire review...A trip over Jumbo Grade into Virginia City. UPDATE 10/30/23

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
A few months ago I promised a review on these tires. After spending too much time doing research I landed on these things, Pro UTV had a sale and I jumped.
It appears the reviewers were accurate.
We hooked up with some friends who live in the New Washoe City area for a couple days and took off from their home up the grade. This is the orginal route down the mountain that was used to get the ore from the mines in the Virginia City area to the shores of Washoe Lake, where the processing began.
The tires are 8 ply, and they suggest a max of 15 PSI. I have them on bead locks, and ran them at 15 for this trip.
Our friends have lived in this area for a few years and told us the past winter really did a number on the road. I have never been over it before, but we are told in the past a 2wd pickup could have made it. I am pretty sure that ain't happening anymore.
Jumbo Grade 5.jpg

The road base is gone, this seasonal creek replaces it in several areas.
Jumbo Grade 6.jpg

jumbo grade 4.jpg

This is the summit area. Looking back to the west you see the Sierras and Washoe Lake, where we started.
I haven't done a ton of research on this area Now it is nothing but a wide spot at the instersection of several roads. but at some point the past there was a large structure here, I would guess a corral and freighting station to chang ethe horses after the pull up the hill. I have been to a lot of old town sites, etc, and this one is right up there with the amount of square nails littering the ground. Beware where ya park.
summit of Jumbo grade.jpg

Virginia City is worth spending a day in IF...

-you can arrange to be there on a weekday, during the summer season weekends are wall to wall people.
-You like old west history...there is a ton here, and lost to look at.
-You like to walk...the best way to do this is walk both sides of the street. There are some good places to eat, a cool candy shop and a saloon every 50 ft.
We got there about 1pm, grabbed some lunch, started walking around and next thing we knew the businesses were starting to close down. This is still "pre season" for some of them. We will return and do a weekday. You can drive your SXS right into town and park , we parked at a lot on the main drag $10 for the whole day and a attendant keeps an eye on your ride.
newrubber1.jpg

Sorry about the double pics.

If you are looking for a stout all purpose tire that seems to wear like iron you might give these suckers a look. M1 Evil by AMS.
newrubber1.jpg

Bucket of Blood.jpg

jumbo grade2.jpg

Lotsa rock up here.

The tires performed flawlessly. I never once felt them lose grip. Several of the places the creek had washed the road out had us climbing steep banks to get out, and I honestly think I could have done several of them in 2wd. The last mile or two into Virginia City is typical Nevada dirt/sand/silt and there was no loss of confidence blasting along at speed.

Last edited:

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
I should be up that way this September, my Father in law is a guide for a huge UTV Jamboree up there, and lives in the area. Planning on taking my Speed up there if I have it in time.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Question, how hard were you driving. Avg speed? Did you bushwhack, go over rocks sharp, rounded, ect?

riverroyal

Reaction score
I had them. Zero complaints. 2000 miles and 50% tread left. Not one puncture.
Far price.
They will pick up and throw rocks with the crazy deep pattern. The tread blocks are massive.

Handling was great on all surfaces.

They did get loud and stiffen up at 2000 Miles. But nothing that's complaint worthy

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Went there a few years back when we went to Hot August Nights in Reno. I still wear my shirt from Bucket of Blood Saloon quite often. Agree, a cool little town and a lot of cool places to eat.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Question, how hard were you driving. Avg speed? Did you bushwhack, go over rocks sharp, rounded, ect?

Wasn't an area where we could crank it up; far too technical for most of the trip. The creek we were in was full of rough rocks and the portion of the road that was dirt/sand also had solid rock sections we had to traverse. Round rocks, sharp rocks, all good.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
We finally got out on a multi-day tip with these, pulling our new Genesis on it's maiden voyage.
Northern Nevada, dirt roads to two-track trails, rock, gravel, etc.
These tires are very good. Really good. We went on a 90 mile trip the first day, climbed up to 8400 ft in the mountains, (pics over in RV section) and they hook up incredibly well. They will send a good size rock flying, this is as @riverroyal reported. The lugs are huge.
The next day crappy, extremely washboarded and washed out two track across the high desert and into the Sand Mountain Area.
At Sand Mountain they pulled us up the steep hill from the End of The World with ease. I didn't even air them down from the 12 PSI I was running.
Once out in the basic dunes I slipped it into 2wd and was again surprised at how well they hooked up, and they tracked in the sand with little to no steering washout either.
If we go to Idaho next year I will probably by a set of paddles, but that is the only place I think I would need/want them. Oregon Dunes these would do fine.
The last day was mostly graded fire road type stuff, and again, excellent traction and handling manners. Speeds up to 65ish.
I can see myself running these for many years. I don't think there is a tire better suited for the terrain we drive on, and two of my friends are already planning to buy them for their rides.

A word on the Genesis 32 cxlr...it was nearly perfect. Having a tech who gives a damn doing the PDI matters, we are very happy with it.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
We finally got out on a multi-day tip with these, pulling our new Genesis on it's maiden voyage.
Northern Nevada, dirt roads to two-track trails, rock, gravel, etc.
These tires are very good. Really good. We went on a 90 mile trip the first day, climbed up to 8400 ft in the mountains, (pics over in RV section) and they hook up incredibly well. They will send a good size rock flying, this is as @riverroyal reported. The lugs are huge.
The next day crappy, extremely washboarded and washed out two track across the high desert and into the Sand Mountain Area.
At Sand Mountain they pulled us up the steep hill from the End of The World with ease. I didn't even air them down from the 12 PSI I was running.
Once out in the basic dunes I slipped it into 2wd and was again surprised at how well they hooked up, and they tracked in the sand with little to no steering washout either.
If we go to Idaho next year I will probably by a set of paddles, but that is the only place I think I would need/want them. Oregon Dunes these would do fine.
The last day was mostly graded fire road type stuff, and again, excellent traction and handling manners. Speeds up to 65ish.
I can see myself running these for many years. I don't think there is a tire better suited for the terrain we drive on, and two of my friends are already planning to buy them for their rides.

A word on the Genesis 32 cxlr...it was nearly perfect. Having a tech who gives a damn doing the PDI matters, we are very happy with it.

Idaho you say!