WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mach Jesus.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
So, all the ones I’ve caught glimpses of, hummingbirds are usually flying at the speed of “Mach Jesus”, unless they’re at a feeder. Every once in a while I’d see one in some flowers or whatever. This poor little guy was bouncing off the ceiling of a project I’m working on. It couldn’t find its way out one of the 4 giant overhead door openings. It finally tired itself out enough so I could catch it. It rested in my hand for a minute, then took off faster than I could even see. 🤣🤣🤣

glad the little guy hung around long enough for me to take a pic.
87C455B7-32ED-47FD-B369-DA7EFE9FF79B.jpeg

Last edited:

Headless hula

Reaction score
I have several humming bird feeders on my back patio and I enjoy watching these little birds buzz around.
My mom sent me these from their home in Cheeseland. She said she’s been refilling yhe feeder twice a day, and there’s lots of juvenile birds visiting. Kinda cool.🤓

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I put a feeder up last year.... man when the light hits them some really are metallic colored... aggressive lil boogers and real territorial. They're letting me sit maybe 3' from feeder now if I stay still. Even had two end up in a ball rolling round on my deck for maybe 10 seconds... I think they fucked cause they'd been churping around each other by the feeder doing some courting before the tumble. Guessing that was foreplay. Then off they went; he for a smoke and she to shop I'm thinking.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
So you are saying that you got a hummer with your own hand? :looking:

That is a great picture. You are right you never to get to see them much being that they are so fast.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Have enjoyed feeding Quail,Dove,Finches for over a year now. Right now out of control on the feed. Right at 150# month plus from Tractor Supply. Wife just shakes her head and goes along with it like she has for 45 years.
Our 17 year old dog died year ago today. I figure he knows we getting thru his passing feeding birds who demand nothing from us,same as him for 17 years. Everyday he was the same great friend without fail.

Last edited:

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
Used to go through 5 cups of feed a day, between the 3 feeders I had out. To put this picture in perspective the nest is the size of a shot glass.
20181030_143553.jpg

Headless hula

Reaction score
Have enjoyed feeding Quail,Dove,Finches for over a year now. Right now out of control on the feed. Right at 150# month plus from Tractor Supply. Wife just shakes her head and goes along with it like she has for 45 years.
Our 17 year old dog died year ago today. I figure he knows we getting thru his passing feeding birds who demand nothing from us,same as him for 17 years. Everyday he was the same great friend without fail.
Bummed to read about your pup. I bet he had a great 17 years with you! 😊

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
They are basically diabetics, they burn through 10’s of thousands of calories per hour. If they don’t get the food they need their blood sugar drops and they literally just fall out of the sky. Put some sugar water in a soda cap, give them a refueling and they take off again.

Headless hula

Reaction score
I was so amazed you caught a hummingbird, I was speechless.😆
Believe me, I never imagined I’d have a hummingbird in my hand either. A few finches crashed into the patio door when I had the place on the lake up north. One of them had knocked itself out, and I picked it up. Same kinda deal, it hung out in my palm for maybe 30-40 seconds, and as soon as it could took off in a blur. Those little birds make me remember the feeder outside my grandparents window when I was a kid. Pop had a “bird book” and a pair of binoculars on the table by the window. 🙂