WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Machining the flare off of prop hub.

bocco

Reaction score
I was reading an article on the Mercury racing blog about the prop hub (barrel) length and the flare and the effect on planing. I know there was a thread a while back where Dave machined off the flare on a prop but I can't find it. I was curious what the result was.

Nordie

Reaction score
I was reading an article on the Mercury racing blog about the prop hub (barrel) length and the flare and the effect on planing. I know there was a thread a while back where Dave machined off the flare on a prop but I can't find it. I was curious what the result was.

It was for Headless Hula, but I can't remember which thread it was.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
I had dave remove 1" from the hub of my maximus. I'll dig a little bit to see if I can find the thread.

Headless hula

Reaction score
I gained .5 mph, boat takes a better set without the bell. My boat doesnt need the stern lift.

bocco

Reaction score
I found the thread:

It sounds like this really depends on the boat.

Headless hula

Reaction score
I found the thread:

It sounds like this really depends on the boat.
It most certainly does. Tell us about your setup

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Cut 3/8” off the prop on the stoker. Picked up 3mph and the boat is much more stable at speed with it not trying to lift the ass at speed.

spectras only

Reaction score
I don't think you would want to take more than 5/8 off. I did machine off 5/8 on both props on my boat that allowed the stern settle a bit lower which was my goal. My boat had too much stern lift with the Bravo 1's and started chine walking getting close to the 70 mph range. Could have tried a different prop but there was no one in my area to borrow props for testing. The 27P Mirage Plus 3 blade would be more suitable for my boat but I like the Bravo1 more for planing and mid range cruising.
This is my prop getting the diffuser cut down .

IMG_1827.jpg

Last edited: