WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Magic boats, updates?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
He sold all the ones he built. I think it’s hard to keep decent employees right now.

I will hit him up to see if there’s any news

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
How many were built?
Saw a blue one being worked on at saleen last year, and visited the building Preston bought next to mvd that was going to be the showroom, have not heard anything since.

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
If you’re talking about Ron Moyes the wheels are turning. Just rounding up the right peeps.

JFMFG

Reaction score
I’d assume the labor shortage of good workers is what’s pumping the brakes.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
They are taking deposits for new boats, but they still need to figure out their manufacturing process, address design issues (up to and including how the crankshafts are designed), and complete thorough long term testing. They'll be using those deposits to help fund all of the above efforts.

Who's in?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
They are taking deposits for new boats, but they still need to figure out their manufacturing process, address design issues (up to and including how the crankshafts are designed), and complete thorough long term testing. They'll be using those deposits to help fund all of the above efforts.

Who's in?
I see what you did there

riverroyal

Reaction score
I talked with Horizon maybe 2 years ago on this, could have been longer. Id like to see what was delivered. When they got to 175k I lost interest in buying, but still wanted to see new ones on the water.

Crazy that you cant find labor in that town. I would think if the salary was high enough you could steal from others or bring in from out of town?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I talked with Horizon maybe 2 years ago on this, could have been longer. Id like to see what was delivered. When they got to 175k I lost interest in buying, but still wanted to see new ones on the water.

Crazy that you cant find labor in that town. I would think if the salary was high enough you could steal from others or bring in from out of town?
what i was thinking too, for the right money you can steal nordic, DCB, ect

HCP3

Reaction score
With housing getting expensive in Havasu you would think it would be hard for workers to move to Havasu and afford it?

Covid made working from home much easier and acceptable. In other words, not many people work in the city where they live.

attitude

Reaction score
Covid made working from home much easier and acceptable. In other words, many people don't work in the city where they live.
That is true and would only help to raise the Havasu home prices. However, I don’t think people building boats are working from home and I doubt the Havasu pay rate has risen as fast as the housing market.

riverroyal

Reaction score
On another note, when I drive by Ultra they seem to have some every nice looking hulls sitting there. Are they getting these out the door? A few looked great from the street as far as gel colors.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
On another note, when I drive by Ultra they seem to have some every nice looking hulls sitting there. Are they getting these out the door? A few looked great from the street as far as gel colors.
The problem is they have been sitting there for years

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

Who's in?

Can you them in other colors than orange?

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
If you’re talking about Ron Moyes the wheels are turning. Just rounding up the right peeps.
Something new?
Talk has been going on for years and even building them in mexico
Ron is a nice guy away from work, working for him is another story
Burned a lot of bridges on the way out. Getting product might be another issue

riverroyal

Reaction score
hulls laid up in mex,,,,hmmmm.. Not the worse idea

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
hulls laid up in mex,,,,hmmmm.. Not the worse idea
When Magic was in Havasu half the labor force was from mexico lol
Only 3 hour drive from here to cross the border
I bet code restrictions for a shop would be a lot less there.
Fire department was always showing up at the old building. A lot of things were grandfathered in.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Shit the million dollar homes in havasu are Mexican built gunite guys come from Peoria az as well as lath and plaster guys meet the guys at chicos tacos .

Gelcoater

Reaction score
what i was thinking too, for the right money you can steal nordic, DCB, ect
From Nordic maybe. From DCB? 😂😂😂

The whole moving to the armpit of hell not withstanding, there’s the concept of actually working in that kind of heat.
I know for a fact DCB has central heat and air conditioning in their spraybooth, and that’s to deal with So Cal heat.

Once we move to Havasu heat? Forgetaboutit.

3F7E601D-94EA-4AD8-BD4D-65F052A6DACA.png
F6E80B62-D748-46FD-9AA3-D75D907C2F40.png

8 minutes at 77degrees.
Guess what happens at 40 degrees above that 77 number😂

Havasu is without a doubt one of the most inhospitable places to do FRP construction.

Tony at DCB could offer me less than Preston and I’d be shooting DCBs!!

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score

Who's in?
Not to mention funding their off shore race team and building those first.
All in the name of R&D of course.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Very hard to find labor out here and historically if it landed here they’d all end up working for Nordic.

It’s been awhile since I have been close to the upper management of Nordic so I can’t say if it’s still that way. What I can say is virtually everyone is hiring out here without much luck..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
From Nordic maybe. From DCB? 😂😂😂

The whole moving to the armpit of hell not withstanding, there’s the concept of actually working in that kind of heat.
I know for a fact DCB has central heat and air conditioning in their spraybooth, and that’s to deal with So Cal heat.

Once we move to Havasu heat? Forgetaboutit.

View attachment 1081303 View attachment 1081304

8 minutes at 77degrees.
Guess what happens at 40 degrees above that 77 number😂

Havasu is without a doubt one of the most inhospitable places to do FRP construction.

Tony at DCB could offer me less than Preston and I’d be shooting DCBs!!

And that.. lol

retaocleg

Reaction score
And that.. lol
🔥🔥🔥where the big girls paint🤣

housing prices kill the low wage havasu mentallity too.......

the heat while gelcoating is no joke, and while making busy graphics makes the customer happy, it doesnt seem to be an issue till there isnt anyone left to do it🤷‍♂️ no more tough guys left willing to do it........gonna be interesting going forward

Last edited:
Reactions: DWC

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Building boats in Mexico under a Maquiladora arrangement we once had the miscellaneous parts for the 31’ Innovator Sportfishers manufactured in Otay Mesa MX. Overall it was not a good experience. Huge amount of rework required, to the extent there was no savings. Also, getting our molds out of Mexico was not an easy process.

530RL

Reaction score
Brunswick has a 200,000 foot plant in Reynosa Mexico on the border with Texas that they are expanding to 385,000 feet.

retaocleg

Reaction score
word has it they may or may not have help in the graphic dept, helping in the pattern making and layout...........might or might not have some experience in gel helping to eliminate repairs?🤷‍♂️😎

Last edited:

retaocleg

Reaction score
Brunswick has a 200,000 foot plant in Reynosa Mexico on the border with Texas that they are expanding to 385,000 feet.

they had a plant in kingman making bayliners in the 90's, now has an electic supply house and a bunch of divided, open sq feet

Last edited:

retaocleg

Reaction score
there is a boat/glass shop opening in kingman, az.....as of late last year, building is already a done deal....cooler temps, closer to attainable living costs for wages offerred...........building for more than one company🤫 now, about those cold temps..........😁

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
there is a boat/glass shop opening in kingman, az.....as of late last year, building is already a done deal....cooler temps, closer to attainable living costs for wages offerred...........building for more than one company🤫 now, about those cold temps..........😁

I would love to hear more about this!

530RL

Reaction score
they had a plant in kingman making bayliners in the 90's, now has an electic supply house and a bunch of divided, open sq feet
The President of both Bayliner and Sea Ray group at Brunswick is a great guy and former mod-VP driver.

His father was also President of Sea Ray in the late 70’s and early 80’s.

retaocleg

Reaction score
The President of both Bayliner and Sea Ray group at Brunswick is a great guy and former mod-VP driver.

His father was also President of Sea Ray in the late 70’s and early 80’s.
they were huge back in the 90's...........owned more than boat companies........OMC, no?

how about a bayliner offshore racing team? who knew about that?👀😮 WTF?that is current, i think........

Last edited: