WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Magic Deck with 496 HO….anyone running a Bravo 3 to help it out?

UnWoke

Reaction score
Hi all…Newbie here.
I just picked it up and it‘s pretty slow, I knew it would be…I’m not trying to go fast, just want to get on plane with 10 people aboard and cruise at 40-45mph.
Wondering if anyone has bolted on a Bravo 3 to help the underpowered slug out?

Thanks in advance!

JFMFG

Reaction score
Hi all…Newbie here.
I just picked it up and it‘s pretty slow, I knew it would be…I’m not trying to go fast, just want to get on plane with 10 people aboard and cruise at 40-45mph.
Wondering if anyone has bolted on a Bravo 3 to help the underpowered slug out?

Thanks in advance!
What size prop you running?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
a bravo 3 would be perfect for that use. but it will slow you down if you ever want to run fast and empty.

UnWoke

Reaction score
a bravo 3 would be perfect for that use. but it will slow you down if you ever want to run fast and empty.
I’ve never really been about going fast and I don’t plan on changing that. I like to talk and or play the radio while underway.

JFMFG

Reaction score
Running a 24 but thinking about trying a 22 before going with the B3 leg…just not sure about that extra 500-600 rpm up top
I run a 24 on my magic with 496 max rpm I see is like 4500 buddy has a 22 with his boat always loaded down with people he runs 50-55 no problem

UnWoke

Reaction score
I run a 24 on my magic with 496 max rpm I see is like 4500 buddy has a 22 with his boat always loaded down with people he runs 50-55 no problem
Wow…those numbers make me wonder if something else is going on with the boat…hmmm

DWC

Reaction score
Wow…those numbers make me wonder if something else is going on with the boat…hmmm
What does it run with the 24 with 1-2 people, light load? Deck boats don’t like a ton of weight especially up front. Load them down with people, stereo, fuel and ice chest and it’ll negate the advantages of the hull.

chvynhra

Reaction score
I will have a B3 available for purchase soon.

UnWoke

Reaction score
What does it run with the 24 with 1-2 people, light load? Deck boats don’t like a ton of weight especially up front. Load them down with people, stereo, fuel and ice chest and it’ll negate the advantages of the hull.
This is going to sound stupid…I just bought the boat, only ran it for a few minutes and didn’t record any numbers. I bought it with a lot of time on it with the plan to find a 525 for it.…Now my plans are changing a bit, it looks like I’ll have to run the boat with it’s current configuration this season.
Sorry, I should have known better, the seller and I planned to take the boat for another run but then some odd circumstances got in the way.

DWC

Reaction score
This is going to sound stupid…I just bought the boat, only ran it for a few minutes and didn’t record any numbers. I bought it with a lot of time on it with the plan to find a 525 for it.…Now my plans are changing a bit, it looks like I’ll have to run the boat with it’s current configuration this season.
Sorry, I should have known better, the seller and I planned to take the boat for another run but then some odd circumstances got in the way.
Trust me, not judging at all. Our Magic “test drive” was a trip from Havasu to Pirates and back. (Possibly with a small cooler). Made sure it ran right and he taught me the basics of driving it.

Those hulls run really good with a light load, cool conditions. If you want to go fast then the 496 isn’t the best power. If you want it to jump on plane faster I’d go smaller prop first and then try some tabs. Going to a 525 will definitely help but with a full boat it won’t be a huge jump. IMO. Enjoy the boat as is. The 496/bravo combo is nearly bulletproof. Insurance is reasonable and yearly costs are annuals and hot sauce. Power and speed come at a huge cost. (Check out the Break Out Another Thousand thread 😬). Maintenance intervals cut down BIG, insurance gets tricky and stuff breaks. The other thing is that no one really wants to go fast on a deck except the driver. 😏

UnWoke

Reaction score
Trust me, not judging at all. Our Magic “test drive” was a trip from Havasu to Pirates and back. (Possibly with a small cooler). Made sure it ran right and he taught me the basics of driving it.

Those hulls run really good with a light load, cool conditions. If you want to go fast then the 496 isn’t the best power. If you want it to jump on plane faster I’d go smaller prop first and then try some tabs. Going to a 525 will definitely help but with a full boat it won’t be a huge jump. IMO. Enjoy the boat as is. The 496/bravo combo is nearly bulletproof. Insurance is reasonable and yearly costs are annuals and hot sauce. Power and speed come at a huge cost. (Check out the Break Out Another Thousand thread 😬). Maintenance intervals cut down BIG, insurance gets tricky and stuff breaks. The other thing is that no one really wants to go fast on a deck except the driver. 😏
Wow….I wish I could have ran it like that for the trial.

While I’m not looking to go fast, (top speed) I do need something with some low-end / mid-range grunt as I almost always run with a big group. I need to be able to plane relatively quickly, carry the bow at cruising speed, maybe make a quick pass now and then and let the hull work and I’m real concerned about whether or not this configuration will allow for that. I also don’t want to run the thing on the limiter with the kind of time it has on it.
I really need to get back out there and record some data before I make any hasty moves.

Reactions: DWC

adam909

Reaction score
i have a magic deck and 496ho with bravo1.. you need to try a 22 prop. 24's take way to long to get on plane with a load.. I really think the 22 is the best prop for 496 magics..

UnWoke

Reaction score
i have a magic deck and 496ho with bravo1.. you need to try a 22 prop. 24's take way to long to get on plane with a load.. I really think the 22 is the best prop for 496 magics..
What‘s the rpm gain with that 22?

adam909

Reaction score
What‘s the rpm gain with that 22?
honestly i dont know or really care.. All i care about is getting on plane and cruising at 40-45 which is half throttle for my boat.. The max speed ive seen with my 22 prop is 65 in perfect cool conditions.

UnWoke

Reaction score
honestly i dont know or really care.. All i care about is getting on plane and cruising at 40-45 which is half throttle for my boat.. The max speed ive seen with my 22 prop is 65 in perfect cool conditions.
Got it…wow, I never would have thought 65mph would be in play with a 22.
Sheesh, I really need to gather some data on mine.

Singleton

Reaction score
Got it…wow, I never would have thought 65mph would be in play with a 22.
Sheesh, I really need to gather some data on mine.
I would also get someone to look over the 496.
Mine was under performing and finally it was discovered a plug wire was not installed correctly and was arcing. Replaced spark plug wires, installed them correctly and found the missing rpm.

UnWoke

Reaction score
I would also get someone to look over the 496.
Mine was under performing and finally it was discovered a plug wire was not installed correctly and was arcing. Replaced spark plug wires, installed them correctly and found the missing rpm.
SoCal Speed & Marine just went through the boat and serviced it in February but they didn’t run it. Compression was above 170 in all cylinders.
Tomorrow I’ll ask Mario if they replaced plugs and wires.

Javajoe

Reaction score
Make sure you run a GPS App like SPEED BOX on your phone so you can see what mph you are really going and compare it against your gauges. Some mph you will hear from people are not true numbers because gauges are not reliable. Magics are real heavy especially with full tanks. Built for fun, not speed unless ya got a big motor. I got a 625 so that does help a lot. Such a great family style boat

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
When I had mine with a 496 I ran a 22 per Teague marine. They told me it should have has a 22 originally but I think magic but 24's on everything.

UnWoke

Reaction score
Make sure you run a GPS App like SPEED BOX on your phone so you can see what mph you are really going and compare it against your gauges. Some mph you will hear from people are not true numbers because gauges are not reliable. Magics are real heavy especially with full tanks. Built for fun, not speed unless ya got a big motor. I got a 625 so that does help a lot. Such a great family style boat
Good point….I’ll spend some time with it early next week. I plan to get to the bottom of it…hahaha

UnWoke

Reaction score
When I had mine with a 496 I ran a 22 per Teague marine. They told me it should have has a 22 originally but I think magic but 24's on everything.
Good info…I’ll definitely be trying a 22.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
You could also try a max machine cavitation plate.

Another thing is i love B3 drives. They are like driving a boat on asphalt problem is I dont think they handle over 400 hp very long. If my memory serves me correctly. Just something to think about but i think you're going to be much happier with a different prop

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I wouldn’t even know how 😂😂😂
Remove the water bypass hose between the manifold and riser, then remove exhaust hose from riser to S pipe. Remove four nuts between riser and manifold, there’s two gaskets and the an inversion small plate. Remove plate and reuse or buy a new gasket and you’re done.
That plate chokes the exhaust down and works like a cat, gets super hot to help burn off excess fuel, I’ve done a few and everyone seems to be extremely thankful afterwards lol.

JFMFG

Reaction score
Remove the water bypass hose between the manifold and riser, then remove exhaust hose from riser to S pipe. Remove four nuts between riser and manifold, there’s two gaskets and the an inversion small plate. Remove plate and reuse or buy a new gasket and you’re done.
That plate chokes the exhaust down and works like a cat, gets super hot to help burn off excess fuel, I’ve done a few and everyone seems to be extremely thankful afterwards lol.
What kind of gains are we looking at?

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Not going to lie, i did that on my last boat and low and mud was noticeable. So much so that when i later the next year did aftermarket exhaust i really saw no real gains. It’s definitely Worth it gain, specially on those heavy boats.

Reactions: DWC

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
IMG_0849.png

spark2678

Reaction score
Keep the 24P and add trim tabs. You'll be golden. Inversion plate delete will help too.

The problem with a 22P is that when it's a light load you'll be on the rev limiter all the time. Sticking with the 24 and tabs will allow for both scenarios.

Last edited:

Runs2rch

Reaction score
No it’s there for the 3 star emissions sticker. And no i didn’t notice any sound difference.
It is called a turbulator and has nothing to do with emissions. Turbulators are designed to keep any condensation or moisture from entering the manifold during the cool down process.

UnWoke

Reaction score
I’m going to try a B3 on the boat….any suggestions for props on a 28’ magic deck?

outboardrick

Reaction score
I’m going to try a B3 on the boat….any suggestions for props on a 28’ magic deck?
I think that's a great idea! As far as prop pitch, it will depend on what gear ratio your drive is. I have a 26' Playcraft tritoon (I know, apples to oranges) with a 2.0 gear ratio and run a 24/22 combo on the props.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
You are better off trying a few different props. You know why you never see cats with B3's?

UnWoke

Reaction score
You are better off trying a few different props. You know why you never see cats with B3's?
It seems like the viable options are 22 with a heavy load and 24 with no load but I’m not sure I’m all that keen on swapping props back-and-forth based on scenario. I always wondered why people with big heavy underpowered cats don’t run B3’s, I guess I always thought it was because most cats are overpowered and the underpowered guys are just copying what the overpowered guys are doing.

UnWoke

Reaction score
I have a Chaparral 27’ deck with a standard 496 (not an HO) and with the B3 and it planes without issue, holds plane at slow speed and goes 58 with 10 people aboard.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
It seems like the viable options are 22 with a heavy load and 24 with no load but I’m not sure I’m all that keen on swapping props back-and-forth based on scenario. I always wondered why people with big heavy underpowered cats don’t run B3’s, I guess I always thought it was because most cats are overpowered and the underpowered guys are just copying what the overpowered guys are doing.
There are way more prop choices than a 22 or 24 B1.

cheezpanel

Reaction score
@cheezpanel what prop is on yours?
I usually run a 24...but that's with my wife and I and a light load. I also have a 22 that I put on when I think I'll have more than 4 people on board. The 22 works really well. If you aren't worried about top end, I'd stick with the 22. Really makes the boat pop
\

UnWoke

Reaction score
I usually run a 24...but that's with my wife and I and a light load. I also have a 22 that I put on when I think I'll have more than 4 people on board. The 22 works really well. If you aren't worried about top end, I'd stick with the 22. Really makes the boat pop
\
The problem is…I have a tired motor with 580 hours on it and I don’t really like the idea of running it on the redline non-stop.

UnWoke

Reaction score
Bravo 1 FS 24 . I'm curious about a Rev 4 on there also. 21 pitch.
That FS 24 is pretty much what I’m running now…no real measurable difference. That 21 puts my tired motor on the redline all day.