WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Magic / Horizon Motor Sports

Javajoe

Reaction score
So I was talking to a guy at CatTail Cove last weekend who says Preston squashed building new Magic’s. Says Preston dumped 6 mil. into it but tons of people who go screwed back in 06-08 was looking to sue him so he shuttered the thought of continuing to build the Magic deck boat. Any word on this??? Could be complete bullshit but I have heard nothing about the new Magic’s coming out after we saw a few of the build teasers a while ago. I’m sure @RiverDave is in the know on all of this

Hydroman55

Reaction score
6 million? Think about the return on investment with that number. Something wrong with somebody’s math.
From my understanding Magic filled bankruptcy, thus someone would have paid up for the name from the receivership / court, so how could old lawsuits take place?
I smell bullshit every time I hear about Magic.

Last edited:

Javajoe

Reaction score
6 mill? That should give you some indication on the quality of the information source.
Yep, that’s why I’m asking. I agree the 6 mil sounds like bullshit but my real question is what’s up with the builds. Been crickets for a while since RiverDave posted some photos and I heard no mention of new Magic’s from the Boat Show threads. Preston asked if I wanted him to build me a new one late last year when I was at Horizon. Said they start at 175k with a Merc 520

DWC

Reaction score
Pretty sure Hallett sold for a small fraction of that. No chance the Magic molds were near that much. I’m sure Horizon put a little into the molds but that didn’t cost more than selling a couple Trifectas.
I’d bet it less about lawsuits and more about priorities, resources and labor.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
6 million? Think about the return on investment with that number. Something wrong with somebody’s math.
From my understanding Magic filled bankruptcy, thus someone would have paid up for the name from the receivership / court, so how could old lawsuits take place?
I smell bullshit every time I hear about Magic.
But that exhaust echo...

Englewood

Reaction score
I’ve been trying to buy one for a year and the best I can get is “we’ll add you to the list”. I think you need a secret handshake or something. Maybe @RiverDave can help 🤷‍♂️.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Change the name to Horizon Boats...problem solved.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
It’s easy to “make “ 6M in the boating industry today , just start with 9M . Kidding aside , it’s gotta be a difficult profession .

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Preston has what he has for a reason.
He has a vision for it and if it doesn’t work the way he wants, he sidelines it.
Pretty funny reading these comments.
if you think he is on over his head on the Magic deal you would be mistaken, lol

He’s pretty much easy to get ahold of , ask him yourselves lol

riverroyal

Reaction score
I talked to preston early on in the endeavor. Straight up guy for sure.
There are a few good looking hulls behind ultra now, nice blue one
Its been there a longgggg time

Singleton

Reaction score
Magics should be ready in 2020, oh wait thats the utv thing

My opinion not that it matters...big mistake attempting to use ultra for the hulls.

Don’t FU my hull value. Ultra hulls are great.
Mistake was Rusty. He ran the shop too lean to make it work.

Last edited:

riverroyal

Reaction score
Don’t FU my hull value. Ultra hulls are great.
Mistake was Rusty. He ran the shop too lean to be make it work.
I never said quality wasnt there. Ability to produce was lacking.
The lambo blue hull behind the shop looks killer.
I cant imagine trying to find fiberglass guys in havasu. Tough was to make a living

Singleton

Reaction score
I never said quality wasnt there. Ability to produce was lacking.
The lambo blue hull behind the shop looks killer.
I cant imagine trying to find fiberglass guys in havasu. Tough was to make a living

Last time I talked to Rusty, he was having to bring in gel and fiberglass guys from CA and pay living expenses while they were in AZ.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Last time I talked to Rusty, he was having to bring in gel and fiberglass guys from CA and pay living expenses while they were in AZ.
Thats nuts. The paperwork on employees must be a nightmare

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Saleen is/was building some of the hulls also.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Magics should be ready in 2020, oh wait thats the utv thing

My opinion not that it matters...big mistake attempting to use ultra for the hulls.

It’s all just a big misunderstanding...

Probably could have sold 100 Magic decks since the “Coming in 2 weeks” announcement 3 years ago. :)

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I think the big problem is the perception of a livable wage, California businessman that would Open up shop in Arizona knew they could pay people a lot less and that has persisted even though the cost of living is very high here now.

I used to cash a lot of payroll checks for magic, Nordic, conquest, cheetah, etc. and nobody was making big money in the boat business except maybe the owners.

I’m sure there were key employees that made more and maybe I didn’t get many of those checks but mostly what I saw was rent and beer money.

This is a tough town to prosper in if you’re making under $35 an hour, and I don’t know if anybody in the boat manufacturing business is making that. I don’t know maybe I’m out of line.

Pretty much the same problem in the construction and or services industry.

Singleton

Reaction score
I think the big problem is the perception of a livable wage, California businessman that would Open up shop in Arizona knew they could pay people a lot less and that has persisted even though the cost of living is very high here now.
I used to cash a lot of payroll checks for magic, Nordic, conquest, cheetah, etc. and nobody was making big money in the boat business except maybe the owners.
I’m sure there were key employees that made more and maybe I didn’t get many of those checks but mostly what I saw was rent and beer money.
This is a tough town to prosper in if you’re making under $35 an hour, and I don’t know if anybody in the boat manufacturing business is making that. I don’t know maybe I’m out of line.

no one works when the federal government pays you more to stay home on unemployment.
One of the worst things this new administration did was extend the unemployment kicker until 12-31-2021.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
no one works when the federal government pays you more to stay home on unemployment.
One of the worst things this new administration did was extend the unemployment kicker until 12-31-2021.
I wholeheartedly agree with the ridiculous unemployment “bonus”, but the low wage issue has been an issue here for many years. Kind of a vicious cycle seeing people move here from California thinking they’re going to make enough money to survive to the same standard of living they had in California it doesn’t work without some serious modifications in your budget.

I’ve always told people that want to move here, don’t bring your California bills unless you bring your California income because you’re not gonna make it. While there are exceptions, many of the transplants fail or move back.

Kind a got off track here but I would like to know what the deal is with Preston and the new magics. I don’t care what anybody else says I still like those boats and would like to see them built again. Time will tell I guess.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
And you now also get 6 months of free healthcare if you get laid off.

CLdrinker

Reaction score

$35hr in havasu isnt enough? That ain’t bad if you ask me.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
What kind of home can you buy on that rate?
The number sounds good until you figure in utilities, school system, and how far your dollar goes.
On top of being in a niche industry that’s shrinking yearly.

I’d go to the midwest (Berkshire Ind., etc), or Fl for a boating industry job with a decent chance of a decent cost of living.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
It’s definitely survivable and you can live OK on that but you’re not gonna be driving a new deck boat and living in a six or $700,000 house. It’s hard to find a decent home to live in this town for $350,000 at this point. If both spouses are working then yeah you can live OK here but you’re not gonna be a Baller.😂 as always there’s a lot of variables to the calculation and what ones definition of success is.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that unless you own a business/work for yourself or are some kind of professional the wages here are far below $35 an hour.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
To some extent, there is little growth opportunity working for these custom builders. You’re going to be an XYZ for YEARS then become an ABC, but the chances of growth into ownership, upper management, or a bonus paid position is slim.

USMC2010

Reaction score
$35/hr is very good here. Problem is housing. How many members with vacation/seasonal/VRBO houses would be willing to long term rent at a decent rate instead? I know the answer... crickets.

retaocleg

Reaction score
They are all independent contractors. No one wants to work in the Havasu heat for wages they pay
fixed it for you......

that goes for bringing in cal talent`, but you can train from here......guys have to be used to it

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
What kind of home can you buy on that rate?
The number sounds good until you figure in utilities, school system, and how far your dollar goes.
On top of being in a niche industry that’s shrinking yearly.

I’d go to the midwest (Berkshire Ind., etc), or Fl for a boating industry job with a decent chance of a decent cost of living.

Don’t buy when prices are a all time high.
Niche industry is a major issue though.

retaocleg

Reaction score
$35/hr is very good here. Problem is housing. How many members with vacation/seasonal/VRBO houses would be willing to long term rent at a decent rate instead? I know the answer... crickets.
crappy 2 bed apts are now 1200, and getting harder to find for that........son in law moved back to kingman to commute, and im right behind him, only i wont be commuting........ @The Prisoner make room!...lol

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
It’s definitely survivable and you can live OK on that but you’re not gonna be driving a new deck boat and living in a six or $700,000 house. It’s hard to find a decent home to live in this town for $350,000 at this point. If both spouses are working then yeah you can live OK here but you’re not gonna be a Baller.😂 as always there’s a lot of variables to the calculation and what ones definition of success is.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that unless you own a business/work for yourself or are some kind of professional the wages here are far below $35 an hour.
I was assuming both spouses working.

mid you can’t live a good life on $70hr you have problems.

funny you bring up a new boat and 700k house. You realize most people would think you are fucking rich if you can afford that.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Don’t buy when prices are a all time high.
Niche industry is a major issue though.
The available apts are less than sketchy currently in Havasu.
One of the few times one would do better in SB county than Mohave Co. in that wage range

USMC2010

Reaction score

funny you bring up a new boat and 700k house. You realize most people would think you are fucking rich if you can afford that.
A lot of well to do people forget the rest of the country isn't.

retaocleg

Reaction score
1624202894344.png

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I talked to preston early on in the endeavor. Straight up guy for sure.
There are a few good looking hulls behind ultra now, nice blue one
Its been there a longgggg time
That boat was ordered by someone I know, who then went through a major life change.
Preston definitely went above and beyond not to take issue with being left with a hull very few would want.
Again, he isn’t in a bind on these to make that one hull or several affect his business.
Reason he’s been around for awhile.
That blue is some version of lamborghini (sp) blue that was only used a couple of years on that car.
It is definitely a love it or hate it color.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

I guess that was kind of my point I’d say the average “good job” in Havasu probably pays $18 an hour to $27 an hour if they’re lucky. I would say a good majority of jobs are well below that.