WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Magic / Horizon Motor Sports

guest hs

Reaction score
Last I heard he had built around ten of them and had sold all of them.. I think your source for information is probably mistaken.

He did purchase a couple of large buildings which might be where that six million number came from.. I’m quite sure he was over a million in inventory.

That said all the buildings are worth more than what he paid and he profited on all the boats so he certainly didn’t lose six million like implied.. 😳
I find it hard to believe they built ten or more Magic deck boats. I would love to be proved wrong though.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You still miss what I am saying. There are companies here that make a ton of money and employ close to 100 each. Honestly, it gets old hearing all of this.
I suppose I could say good on you for "leaving money" on the table with your rentals 🙄.
Of course this city is what it is, but the west coast money is killing this place and doesn't even care. I'm leaving this year and not looking back.

After driving all over the place I can tell you it’s the same everywhere.. not just Havasu.

retaocleg

Reaction score
You quit Nordic?
alot of graphics are too much for havasu summer at 50..............thane disagreed...........my son in law is the gelcoater now, i'll do his artwork and layout the tape, he paints it, help him with the learning curve.......

i'm retired from gelcoating in lhc......teaching like a consultant this summer for 3 companies, , and the demand is crazy....

Last edited:

petie6464

Reaction score
🤷‍♂️
I know one of his reasons for leaving was the lack of enthusiasm and lack of ability to be at all creative when it’s 115 in the shop, lol.

I bet. Conquest has had a help wanted sign hanging on their dilapidated building for months.

I drive by and laugh, who in the hell would walk into that building and want to work, it looks like its ready to collapse.

petie6464

Reaction score
I would think you’d be making more than that? Shop rates are insane in Havasu

Seen a big truck repair shop rate of $200/hr. with a two hour minimum charge!

Literally to hit a loose bolt with an impact would cost you $400 and they would throw in a 5% shop supplies fee on top of that.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Anyone want to make bank start a rental place.. 😳

Yes that is the price fir a kid to jump on a water trampoline.
0591197F-21D0-4CA0-9660-55BDC5732BCE.jpeg
B273B62A-3579-4C16-958A-A42011C6E8C7.jpeg

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Its a performance boating forum. Being the average performance boat is STARTING at a 100k now.. it’s kind of expected
More so because so many people here think $35hr ain’t shit. But then The business owners here get pissed about paying $15hr.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Well it doesn’t take much to start swallowing the shop rate up with taxes, payroll, build rent, insurance. Etc Etc. I never realized it until I opened up my own shop.
Wait till you have an underground fuel storage tank get a pinhole leak in the lines leading to your pump, spend $150,000 doing repairs and site cleanup and signed off by the Arizona Department of environmental quality. (that was after I did 99% of the grunt work of digging my pipes and tanks up by hand) then a year later have the laws changed and your underground storage tanks are deemed obsolete and must be removed. I honestly wonder how guys can deal with all this shit anymore, that’s why I’m happy being someone’s little worker bee.

Warlock1

Reaction score
🤷‍♂️
I know one of his reasons for leaving was the lack of enthusiasm and lack of ability to be at all creative when it’s 115 in the shop, lol.
One of the first things I did when I became Ops Manager for a boat builder in Florida was AC the shop. I I built a case as to the why's we need it and that the ROI would be less than a year and presented it to the owner. He quickly saw the benefits. The hotter it gets the slower the workers get because the bodies start shutting down. Reworking issues because their brains were foggy and mistakes were being made. Other reason is when it's hot, the workers drink more, hence they pee more and when you only have 1 bathroom it can create a bottleneck.

TCHB

Reaction score
Over the last 8 years living in Havasu full time, I was suprised at how low the wages/benefits were for many work groups.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
It’s definitely survivable and you can live OK on that but you’re not gonna be driving a new deck boat and living in a six or $700,000 house. It’s hard to find a decent home to live in this town for $350,000 at this point. If both spouses are working then yeah you can live OK here but you’re not gonna be a Baller.😂 as always there’s a lot of variables to the calculation and what ones definition of success is.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that unless you own a business/work for yourself or are some kind of professional the wages here are far below $35 an hour.
Some folks making $100 dollars an hour think their a Baller.
Newer truck and boat plus a house all with loans…Job loss equals all gone in a matter of months.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I beg to differ
“West coast custom performance boat”: no

Performance as in 68mph is as fast as most 496HO powered 22-25 boats are doing: The new ones are in the ballpark.

Start sawing at the steering wheel in yore 60 mph pontoon.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
If you guys would learn to rig boats to the quality standard of DCB or Howard, you could be making 6 figures. There is a huge shortage of riggers and its usually the bottleneck in custom boats.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
he manages LBR I don’t believe he owns it.

That's correct...he manages LBR for an east coast owner. A few years back I spoke with him about it for a project I was working on. He was essentially hand picked for the role of Mayor IMO...keeping the status quo is very important to certain groups in Havasu. Thats not to say I don't like Cal, he is level headed...but he is toting the line so to speak.

If you only knew how many shorts and hats we sell? 😍😍. It’s A LOT more than most realize.

Keep the quality what it is and that will continue.. I think my wife has 6-8 hats, idk how many shirts....I buy the sleeveless but those seem to be in short supply or I'd have more. I like thick t-shirts with logos that don't crack out. Have one of the button downs too..may pick up another when we come back to town..I like TB style shirts..and they are in line with them.

I agree with you about what you've seen going across country...its been an eye opening trip..and I don't see it changing anytime soon. We went a lot of the same places as you...deviated to go up to my in-laws cabin in WA mostly because I was over the hotel craziness waiting out the heatwave. Dreading that drive this weekend back south.

Last edited:

Jay Dub

Reaction score
So I was talking to a guy at CatTail Cove last weekend who says Preston squashed building new Magic’s. Says Preston dumped 6 mil. into it but tons of people who go screwed back in 06-08 was looking to sue him so he shuttered the thought of continuing to build the Magic deck boat. Any word on this??? Could be complete bullshit but I have heard nothing about the new Magic’s coming out after we saw a few of the build teasers a while ago. I’m sure @RiverDave is in the know on all of this
Last fall I was at Saleen speaking with Pedro about doing some touchup on our Hallett and number 2 & 3 of the "New" Magics were there. Hulls mostly done and ready for rigging. looked really nice.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I’m talking about the genre, not my bus.
I spend money on fast pistols, not fast boats

I don’t think any pontoon genre boat is a “performance boat” in how they handle or ride.,they are built for comfort not for speed. That’s not to say they don’t perform, but we wouldn’t call a minivan with a Hellcat engine in it a sports car.

just_floatin

Reaction score
I would think you’d be making more than that? Shop rates are insane in Havasu
I have been traveling back and forth to my Havasu home for 21 years. Our golden rule was to support our second community by purchasing groceries, furniture, gas, tires, eat at local restaurants and scheduling mechanical maintenance to help keep the local economy going strong. Worked well for years aside from a local boat service no longer in business (owner passed) taking my HTM SS out for a weekday joyride or maybe to heat up the oil for the oil change. Who knows. This was back in the day Havasu shenanigans. Anyway, sadly most of those services in LHC are far and few between now. I still use a local body and fender shop for all my paint work because prices are on par with Phoenix rates.

To date LHC price increases and stupid high covid shop rates surfaced longer wait times and in some cases lower quality work. I had a GM steering gear from a GM dealer installed on my 2500 HD. Havasu mechanic did not fully torque the bolt to the pitman arm. Only became noticeable on the highway traveling back to Mesa. My truck was swaying with stiff over steering when changing lanes. Took it to Chapman Chevrolet in Tempe to fix it. No charge. Full me once.

Additional case in points. Quote to Install a second AC unit on my Class C motor home I use to store in LHC. 3500.00 parts and labor two month wait. Mesa 1300.00 parts and labor three week wait. Replace UTV belt on my 08 Teryx. 100+ per hour, up to three hours labor plus parts in Havasu. Mesa 200 dollars parts and labor plus an oil change. Go figure.

Last month I brought my toys back to the city for service and no longer follow my golden rule in Havasu. In fact, when my long term snowbirds stop coming to Havasu in the winter months, I will double the rent or let the place sit and write the off the loss on my taxes. Call it economy to scale based on this unique 🤑 demographic.

Supply, demand and greed have taken over this city. I have frequent this city long enough to experience what goes up will go down in LHC a lot faster then the big city. I am not wishing ill will on my beloved second home city. I just will not be as supportive with my purchases and service$ going forward.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I don’t think any pontoon genre boat is a “performance boat” in how they handle or ride.,they are built for comfort not for speed. That’s not to say they don’t perform, but we wouldn’t call a minivan with a Hellcat engine in it a sports car.
I think the whole “performance boat” definition is too broad to label any boat as “performance”
What are the “guidelines”
Your boat is a family cruiser in the realm of Cats and v drives , yet a performance ride against mass produced vee bottoms and most toons.
An 18’ Blown V drive and a 42’ triple engine MTI are performance boats but worlds apart.

Kind of like beauty: all about the beholder

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I think the whole “performance boat” definition is too broad to label any boat as “performance”
What are the “guidelines”
Your boat is a family cruiser in the realm of Cats and v drives , yet a performance ride against glastrons and most toons.
An 18’ Blown V drive and a 42’ triple engine MTI are performance boats but worlds apart.

Kind of like beauty: all about the beholder

I agree performance is a broad term, and certainly relative. I would argue nothing about a toon is made for true "performance". Yes it will do 70+ with 900 HP. A "performance" boat with the same 900 HP (dual outboards) will run almost double that. In the genre of toons, sure there are some that are geared for more performance than others, but they are all boats floating on aluminium tubes. Again I'm not taking anything away from them, they are awesome for their purpose, but the architecture lends itself to comfort and usability as opposed to handling and speed.

It is like saying an Escalade is a performance automobile. Sure it is a fast SUV (perhaps even a "performance" SUV?), but it is still an SUV and will never perform or drive like a sports car or a muscle car, or even a Miata.

We are just mincing words here, and at the end of the day there is a "type" of boat for everyone to enjoy, at nearly every price point. It is great that we are all on the water in a way that makes sense for each of us.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I agree performance is a broad term, and certainly relative. I would argue nothing about a toon is made for true "performance". Yes it will do 70+ with 900 HP. A "performance" boat with the same 900 HP (dual outboards) will run almost double that. In the genre of toons, sure there are some that are geared for more performance than others, but they are all boats floating on aluminium tubes. Again I'm not taking anything away from them, they are awesome for their purpose, but the architecture lends itself to comfort and usability as opposed to handling and speed.

It is like saying an Escalade is a performance automobile. Sure it is a fast SUV (perhaps even a "performance" SUV?), but it is still an SUV and will never perform or drive like a sports car or a muscle car, or even a Miata.

We are just mincing words here, and at the end of the day there is a "type" of boat for everyone to enjoy, at nearly every price point. It is great that we are all on the water in a way that makes sense for each of us.

And , if one day your back wears out, you can still handle a full day of 3-4’ chop boaitng on aluminum tubes vs anything in fiberglass🤣
Take a ride on twin 450 toon sometime, the acceleration is definitely in the realm of “performance”, but again, it’s a relative term.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
And , if one day your back wears out, you can still handle a full day of 3-4’ chop boaitng on aluminum tubes vs anything in fiberglass🤣
Take a ride on twin 450 toon sometime, the acceleration is definitely in the realm of “performance”, but again, it’s a relative term.

They are fast with a nice ride for sure.