WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Magic TV Box...Tech Support Thread?

mbrown2

Reaction score
So I received the Magic TV box today...plugged it in, hit the network and away I went....

Watched a couple series...good so far

Watched a movie....so far so good

Now waiting to figure out how to get the two added features, sports access and USTVNOW?

Texting Dave to get the answers, but figure if anyone has the box and if they have set it up maybe they know.

Figure this thread may help answer questions for all.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I ordered it as well today. Hows the picture and sound quality?

Heylam

Reaction score
If it's the same as the mxbc on my Apple TV, go to video/add ons/sports devil and navigate from there

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I was seconds away from ordering and my brother in law told me just to get a g box for much cheaper. Im still on the fence so let me know. My in law talked to Dave asked what he was installing on boxes and told me to download on laptop first and try it. I'll see him Sunday

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Under Video or TV go to add-on's and you should be able to add what you need there.:cool

mbrown2

Reaction score
I ordered it as well today. Hows the picture and sound quality?

Sounds is good when it is current...

Tried streaming movies last night working good, sound good

Tried streaming music from one of the players and pandora and it worked good

Tried streaming music video from VIVO and it buffered...it was a high def video but buffered all along the way

Dave got back to me on how to do the USATV now....been fiddling with that this morning....

Watching ESPN game day through USTVNOW and it is buffering horribly...

My set up is FIOS with 50MB/50MB

I have the streambox hooked up over wireless N and getting 27/27 during testing...

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score

Tried streaming music video from VIVO and it buffered...it was a high def video but buffered all along the way

Dave got back to me on how to do the USATV now....been fiddling with that this morning....

I have the streambox hooked up over wireless N and getting 27/27 during testing...

I don't have my box yet so I'm not sure if it's possible to do with USTVnow but I have XBMC on my laptop and I have buffering issues on the weekends if I try streaming much of anything in HD. When I switch to SD the buffering issues go away. That being said if you're in HD and can switch to SD it's probably worth trying.

mbrown2

Reaction score
I don't have my box yet so I'm not sure if it's possible to do with USTVnow but I have XBMC on my laptop and I have buffering issues on the weekends if I try streaming much of anything in HD. When I switch to SD the buffering issues go away. That being said if you're in HD and can switch to SD it's probably worth trying.

Thanks...will try that and I think I am going to try and hook it up directly to the router...and see if I get any better experience from the live channels..

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

Uh oh.....
Guess well see what luck i have

gqchris

Reaction score
This is the same problems I had with USTVNOW. Drove me nuts on the weekends.

Joker

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. Keep the problems and positives coming so I can determine if it's worth it. I really only want it for pac 12 games.

mbrown2

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. Keep the problems and positives coming so I can determine if it's worth it. I really only want it for pac 12 games.

Joker, I found the Pac streams....I will try later to see if anything comes in...

When I ordered this box, I was 90/10 that this would not replace my cable.....and if it worked great, maybe I could cut it....however, if it can just stream movies and series (non real time) for free as an alternative to Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Apple TV, and even get in Theater movies it is worth it to me...as I could avoid those other services and avoid premium packages on my cable account.....I really see it as a way to cut river house cable particularly combined with my slingbox..

Also folks will say, well I can get a cheap box and add the stuff myself. Well I have went and loaded XMBC on my laptop in the last hour and it does not have the add ons like Dave's box added in...its like a blank slate and you then have to read/read/read and figure out what/how to add on to it. So I think the customization and support so far is worth an upcharge to the box/remote you can get on Amazon for 214 vs 289 from Dave.

Again, I have only started to play around but only issues so far are steaming real time stuff and the HD VIVO video....

Joker

Reaction score
Joker, I found the Pac streams....I will try later to see if anything comes in...

When I ordered this box, I was 90/10 that this would not replace my cable.....and if it worked great, maybe I could cut it....however, if it can just stream movies and series (non real time) for free as an alternative to Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Apple TV, and even get in Theater movies it is worth it to me...as I could avoid those other services and avoid premium packages on my cable account.....I really see it as a way to cut river house cable particularly combined with my slingbox..

Also folks will say, well I can get a cheap box and add the stuff myself. Well I have went and loaded XMBC on my laptop in the last hour and it does not have the add ons like Dave's box added in...its like a blank slate and you then have to read/read/read and figure out what/how to add on to it. So I think the customization and support so far is worth an upcharge to the box/remote you can get on Amazon for 214 vs 289 from Dave.

Again, I have only started to play around but only issues so far are steaming real time stuff and the HD VIVO video....

[emoji106], awesome. I like screwing around with stuff like this so it may just be worth it.

IN AWE

I'm surounded by assholes
Reaction score

Keep all the input coming.:thumbsup

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

Thank u u may have just swayed my opinion to just sick it up and buy one [emoji106]

BigQ

Reaction score
What am I missing? Why would this be better then Roku HD? What is so magic about the box?

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Thank u u may have just swayed my opinion to just sick it up and buy one [emoji106]
Nah...........you'll change your mind at least 3 more times each way before you pull the trigger.......or not!! :lmao

cxr

Reaction score
those of you using the xmbc on the laptop what are the popular add-ons for video for pay per view, regular tv or hbo?

IN AWE

Reaction score
those of you using the xmbc on the laptop what are the popular add-ons for video for pay per view, regular tv or hbo?

I don't think you will get HBO, but you can get all the series that are made for HBO, Showtime, etc on "GoTv". Also "GoMovies" is a good one

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I don't think you will get HBO, but you can get all the series that are made for HBO, Showtime, etc on "GoTv". Also "GoMovies" is a good one

GoTV I agree with but GoMovies sucks. Ice Films is much better.

mbrown2

Reaction score
What am I missing? Why would this be better then Roku HD? What is so magic about the box?

If you want to stream a movie or series on Roku you are limited to what is available on Netflix, Amazon Instant or other providers for a $$$ fee...and you can only access what has been released to the public (what would be on your redbox shelves). With this device it has the power to install apps which can pick up offshore streams where you DON'T have to pay for them...series, movies, new in theater movies.

Pretty big difference when it works.

mbrown2

Reaction score
Pac 12 Channel - Tried to watch a quick post game interview - nothing but buffer

Tried to stream Tammy tonight... - No go, tried multiple channels Ice, and the others....nothing but buffering or could not open stream...wasted 30 minutes before I went back to FIOS

Last night I did not try and watch a complete movie....

So far....feeling like I got a nice paper weight....

Going to have to try it connected directly to the router, but feeling like 27MB/27MB up/down via test should be plenty...

Maybe its me...let's see how some others fare...

Joker

Reaction score
Pac 12 Channel - Tried to watch a quick post game interview - nothing but buffer

Tried to stream Tammy tonight... - No go, tried multiple channels Ice, and the others....nothing but buffering or could not open stream...wasted 30 minutes before I went back to FIOS

Going to have to try it connected directly to the router, but feeling like 27MB/27MB up/down via test should be plenty...

Honest review Mike. Thank you.:thumbsup

IN AWE

Reaction score

Honest review Mike. Thank you.:thumbsup

This is exactly what we need. Real world reviews. Thank you, waiting to hear from others.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
If you are buffering with 50 mbps the box would not work for us.

IN AWE

Reaction score

I just ran XBMC on my computer just now, was able to get the movie Tammy and others with no problems. Did a speed check and it was at 32 down / 5 up. I wonder is it just the servers the box uses.

mbrown2

Reaction score
I just ran XBMC on my computer just now, was able to get the movie Tammy and others with no problems. Did a speed check and it was at 32 down / 5 up. I wonder is it just the servers the box uses.

What servers did you select for streaming? What provider you using?

Also, you running wireless or ethernet?

Thx...

C-2

Reaction score
I don't support the ideology behind these boxes and will not be buying one, but I like the technology aspect of it.

True, the technology has been around for a long time...as long as the XBox. But, what has not been available until recently are the solid connections which afford enough bandwidth to stream. These days, super fast connections, within budget, are readily available - thus the explosion in popularity.

Also remember that an Internet connection is like a 3/4" water "pipe". You can only fit so much water thru it (bandwidth). With only one faucet (device) open on that pipe, water moves really fast. But, open a few more faucets, and we all know what happens - the flow of water out of all faucets slows. Time to move up to a 1" pipe :thumbsup

One of things I didn't see discussed is the fact your bandwidth and speed might be fine - but the servers delivering the movies might be slow, due either to the fact they too are at their limits, or they could be slammed with traffic.

So as this train gets rolling, and more people are drawing on resources, the problem could get worse. I mean, what are you going to do, call them up and tell them to upgrade their servers? Lol

Two quick trouble shooting suggestions - Maybe try some of these connections at off-hours, to see if they stream better. Or, disconnect all the other devices (phones, game consoles, other computers) connected to your network, see if it streams better.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Definitely get off the wifi. With the box, it will be a hit and miss on a lot of shows and live coverage. We'll see how football looks tomorrow, that is the big test for the box.

JRS1939

Reaction score
Where are you guys downloading xmbc onto your laptops from

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

Pretty steep learning curve for XBMC but I'm trying to figure it out without having my employee do all the work for me. He said once you figure it out it gets easier.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

If it buffers like that did you try to exit and goto another server? I haven't had the problems you are describing. Even with my shitty Internet connection here in Parker we have been streaming SD movies and shows with almost no buffering. If I had buffering issues though I would try a different server first.. If I had problems still I would call Dave and ask for advice.

RD

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
One of the most common complaints I've read about these boxes has been that the wifi antennas suck so plugging into the Ethernet port might help.

mbrown2

Reaction score
I don't support the ideology behind these boxes and will not be buying one, but I like the technology aspect of it.

True, the technology has been around for a long time...as long as the XBox. But, what has not been available until recently are the solid connections which afford enough bandwidth to stream. These days, super fast connections, within budget, are readily available - thus the explosion in popularity.

Also remember that an Internet connection is like a 3/4" water "pipe". You can only fit so much water thru it (bandwidth). With only one faucet (device) open on that pipe, water moves really fast. But, open a few more faucets, and we all know what happens - the flow of water out of all faucets slows. Time to move up to a 1" pipe :thumbsup

One of things I didn't see discussed is the fact your bandwidth and speed might be fine - but the servers delivering the movies might be slow, due either to the fact they too are at their limits, or they could be slammed with traffic.

So as this train gets rolling, and more people are drawing on resources, the problem could get worse. I mean, what are you going to do, call them up and tell them to upgrade their servers? Lol

Two quick trouble shooting suggestions - Maybe try some of these connections at off-hours, to see if they stream better. Or, disconnect all the other devices (phones, game consoles, other computers) connected to your network, see if it streams better.

All good suggestions, and all things I plan on doing. As well, some of the server stuff, I have considered for the slow downs. Not that it matters much but to give you guys perspective of my background. I have been streaming stuff with xbox and apple tv 1 and I am pretty savvy with the networking, the internet and streaming devices....but I have been trying review this device for the average joe. My day job is managing networks for a Global Fortune 100 company so I have built networks, secured them and deal with their failures whether it is app, server, vip, proxy, firewall, switch, router, load balancer or carrier many times each week. The only control you have with this box is hooking it to the fastest network and hunt/pecking to find the least impaired server stream. Not a lot I can do to solve latency with the number of hops to these servers through my carriers (FIOS) network of the bandwidth demand on the different streams.

When I purchased this I figured it was too good to be true...but I also had not dabbled in these droid boxes with these app capabilities so I wanted the learning experience. However, I also wanted to see how user friendly is it. At the end of the day, if it is not something I can leave in the wife's hands while I am traveling and she can watch her latest Housewives show, it is a paper weight. It is basically another device I have added to the shelf for learning purposes. She has sat down three times now and saw it fail twice, so it won't be replacing anything at this point. Non techie guys and non techie wives and not going hunt/peck around for the right server, reboot, try this and that.....flat out this is not a Direct TV, Apple, Netflix, or FIOS experience. This is something more for guy that feels at home at comic con, nothing against you who attend that event.

In addition, as far as this thread and review I figured more brains are better than one....regardless of background everybody tries something different to get it work.

That said, I plan to keep playing with it, trying different configurations, trying local vs wireless. I would try the time of day thing, but if it proves out it only pisses me off more. Not like I am changing my viewing times to fit the device. It is not a DVR device so it does not help if it works fast at 3am pt.

Look forward to sharing experience and troubleshooting tips..:)

mbrown2

Reaction score
If it buffers like that did you try to exit and goto another server? I haven't had the problems you are describing. Even with my shitty Internet connection here in Parker we have been streaming SD movies and shows with almost no buffering. If I had buffering issues though I would try a different server first.. If I had problems still I would call Dave and ask for advice.

RD

I have been calling Dave and he has been helpful. But I have also been trying different servers. One movie I tried 5 different HD servers and 2 different SD servers and it still bufffered. Ran speed tests before and after and was still at 28M/28M.

I find when you send the box too many commands it seems to get confused so you have to reboot it.

Maybe the internet in Havasu is faster with less latency. Tomorrow once our weekend guests are gone I will hook it directly to the router and see if the experience is any different.

Believe me, I am hoping others have great results and something I can solve easily.

BTW...RD, since you are using the big remote, how do you fast forward through a movie with it? Seems it does not let you go 4x, 8x, 16x, by tapping on the ff button. This functionality exists on the remote that comes with the device, so I find I am using two remotes....the big one and the other to fast forward....not sure I am sold on the big remote. Seems less responsive then the other. I am using both via an IR repeater with an IR emitter hooked up the box so they both are in close proximity with device hidden behind a cabinet with just small IR receiver on bottom of cabinet.

IN AWE

Reaction score
What servers did you select for streaming? What provider you using?

Also, you running wireless or ethernet?

Thx...

Picked a server down the list, movreel I think. Time Warner cable, wireless g.

IN AWE

Reaction score
Pretty steep learning curve for XBMC but I'm trying to figure it out without having my employee do all the work for me. He said once you figure it out it gets easier.

Yes and yes, getting the repositories was the biggest snafu for me. Getting easier though. I am pretty much doing it to dabble with the technology.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Yea now I'm thinking no again. Damn it Paul was right

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have been calling Dave and he has been helpful. But I have also been trying different servers. One movie I tried 5 different HD servers and 2 different SD servers and it still bufffered. Ran speed tests before and after and was still at 28M/28M.

I find when you send the box too many commands it seems to get confused so you have to reboot it.

Maybe the internet in Havasu is faster with less latency. Tomorrow once our weekend guests are gone I will hook it directly to the router and see if the experience is any different.

Believe me, I am hoping others have great results and something I can solve easily.

BTW...RD, since you are using the big remote, how do you fast forward through a movie with it? Seems it does not let you go 4x, 8x, 16x, by tapping on the ff button. This functionality exists on the remote that comes with the device, so I find I am using two remotes....the big one and the other to fast forward....not sure I am sold on the big remote. Seems less responsive then the other. I am using both via an IR repeater with an IR emitter hooked up the box so they both are in close proximity with device hidden behind a cabinet with just small IR receiver on bottom of cabinet.

With the big remote I use the mouse pad and the right click button for everything. When you are watching a show push a button once to bring up the mouse and it brings up controls at the bottom of the screen. Then click play / pause / fast forward whatever ya want.

I find it faster to just click on the timeline though If you want to fast forward or rewind.. You can click anywhere and it takes you right to that point, just like YouTube etc..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
When I get home today I will make a video from my phone showing how I use it.. Once I figured it out it is simple.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
How are the boxes working today....anyone able to successfully watch the 49ers or saints games in HD?

Nord

HONKY
Reaction score
Hmm. It's that difficult to use?

C-2

Reaction score
All good suggestions, and all things I plan on doing. As well, some of the server stuff, I have considered for the slow downs. Not that it matters much but to give you guys perspective of my background. I have been streaming stuff with xbox and apple tv 1 and I am pretty savvy with the networking, the internet and streaming devices....but I have been trying review this device for the average joe. My day job is managing networks for a Global Fortune 100 company so I have built networks, secured them and deal with their failures whether it is app, server, vip, proxy, firewall, switch, router, load balancer or carrier many times each week. The only control you have with this box is hooking it to the fastest network and hunt/pecking to find the least impaired server stream. Not a lot I can do to solve latency with the number of hops to these servers through my carriers (FIOS) network of the bandwidth demand on the different streams.

Never knew that after all these years. You've been outed! lol

In 2013 I completed Cisco Networking Academy and lasy year completed Cisco Security - but as it turns out, I don't enjoy networks as a profession. I also competed last year/season on the junior college Cybersecurity team, and I'm still on the fence about pursuing security further (as opposed to digital forensics). We'll see how it shakes out, IT is huge with so many disciplines, hard to decide where to go.

Looking forward to your continued input. :)

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
Never knew that after all these years. You've been outed! lol

In 2013 I completed Cisco Networking Academy and lasy year completed Cisco Security - but as it turns out, I don't enjoy networks as a profession. I also competed last year/season on the junior college Cybersecurity team, and I'm still on the fence about pursuing security further (as opposed to digital forensics). We'll see how it shakes out, IT is huge with so many disciplines, hard to decide where to go.

Looking forward to your continued input. :)

The Telco side is the way to go if you want to work to live and not vice versa.

Nord

HONKY
Reaction score
Dave did you post a video somewhere yet on how this thing works?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I haven't I will do so this afternoon.. I am behind on wirk