WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Maha Longboard

jody165

Reaction score
Thats a stolen ski... don't touch it....I am checking into it now.

Last edited:

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
Whoa! Go get em!

I was wondering why someone would have a "brand new/never used" Maha race ski with DC bindings. :rolleyes:

jody165

Reaction score
Was used by me for 2 years... Stolen from my garage in Del Mar in 1995 along with fiberglass 360, nice HO Vertical Air and my old Kidder Redline slalom.....don't know if this guy bought it somewhere or was involved in the theft so not jumping to conclusions. It has some unusual things about it that I changed and I can see them in the pics so 100% certain it's mine.....hard to believe it shows up after 16 years.

Last edited:

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Thats a stolen ski... don't touch it....we are checking into it with the authorities.

Let me know if you need someone to call the guy and ask questions about it Jody. I had already been telling people about it,, too cheap for a "new" ski

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Whoa! Go get em!

I was wondering why someone would have a "brand new/never used" Maha race ski with DC bindings. :rolleyes:

DC bindings may be the best currently available, lots of guys use them. The bindings Bob makes are not generally accepted as "race" bindings (no offense meant to Bob,, but most people have been using other bindings on his race skis for years, so I am sure he knows)

obnoxious001

Reaction score
It has some unusual things about it that I changed and I can see them in the pics so 100% certain it's mine.....hard to believe it shows up after 16 years.

You didn't happen to get those inner tube rubber bands from me at that time, did you? I know I gave them to a few people from one I cut up.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
I've been texting this guy. He told me I could go look at it and I've got his address if you need it. I was going to go get it after work, but if your sure its yours please let me know.

Just when I think I've got a good find and keep it to myself so no one snags it! Darn it!

jody165

Reaction score
Yes, I have his address too. I spoke to him lastnite, says his name is Ian...did you get a last name? Said he was selling it for his "Uncle" named Ron Von....I asked him to have his uncle call me and he said he would...nothing yet...I'd like to see if this Ron Von is legit or involved....

jody165

Reaction score
Look at the pics and look for little wooden wedges under the inside of each binding.... I was experimenting in the off season.... and I also graphited the bottom, you can see that in pic of the fin. I also put an american flag on every one of my race skis in the exact place this one was. And I ground down the outside edge of the rear binding hardware to keep it from touching the water in turns... it's my ski for sure 100%, who else would be stupid enough to put those little tilting wedges under the bindings :D

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
No I did not. I saw the Craigslist post this morning and it said text for info. So I just asked if I could come look at it.

jody165

Reaction score
Oh and my Maha was black with DC bindings just like this one, also same red sticker on the nose that I used, and I cut up a bicycle innertube to use to keep the binding straps together in case one came loose, just like Barry is referring to. I bet I'd find something else that I did to it if I saw it in person....

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Look at the pics and look for little wooden wedges under the inside of each binding.... I was experimenting in the off season.... and I also graphited the bottom, you can see that in pic of the fin. I also put an american flag on every one of my race skis in the exact place this one was. And I ground down the outside edge of the rear binding hardware to keep it from touching the water in turns... it's my ski for sure 100%, who else would be stupid enough to put those little tilting wedges under the bindings :D

The graphite on the bottom was pretty common,, and the flag could be argued, but the wedges,, hmm,, what were you thinking there?

I just looked at my trophy from the Elsinore 2 up race in 1996 when you and Mike won the 19 and over men's class with me in the observer's seat.

It sure would be sweet to catch up with the thief, but is there a statute of limitations on that?

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
Jody,

How'd those wedges work out? I imagine it would add comfort bowing out like that. Did it hurt performance in any way? I'm curious...

jody165

Reaction score
Nothing worked, the best setup always turned out to be stock. Other than canting the rear binding slightly outward to get my rear knee out from behind my front knee. I tried alot of weird shit and moved the bindings all over the place.... Lots of other people did too. Marty Wells did downright bizarre things to his skis. I still have an old 85" race ski that I used as a mule to try ideas.... it has about 200 binding holes in it :D

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
Jody call me ASAP about the ski!

805-428-2537

Kyle.

Last edited:

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Jody,

How'd those wedges work out? I imagine it would add comfort bowing out like that. Did it hurt performance in any way? I'm curious...

Thing is,, you really want, actually need your knees to stay close together to keep the ski going straight.

jody165

Reaction score
Thing is,, you really want, actually need your knees to stay close together to keep the ski going straight.

For me, I want my knees together but my rear leg is my stronger leg and when I got tired it would kinda take over and interfere with my front knee so when I turn the binding out slightly it moves my rear knee out from behind my front knee to the side of it but still they are together.... it's a slight improvement when I was fatigued. Maybe it was all mental :rolleyes:

jody165

Reaction score
Negotiating to get the ski back now....stay tuned

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
What's the latest news?

This cliffhanger is like waitin' to find out Who Shot J.R.

jody165

Reaction score
Kid gave it back to his uncle, he got sceeeerrred.... his uncle called me agitated but after I told him my story he was actually pretty cool about it... he called his buddy the bail bondsman who he got the ski from and gave the ski back to him. The bailbondsman called me and listened and is now calling his ex-partner who actually got the ski from someone 16 years ago to make sure he is OK just giving it back to me or if he wants something for it...they all seem to believe my story so now just a matter of them actually doing the right thing here. Would be nice to know where my 360 and Vert Air are but I'll be happy just getting this baby back....

more to follow....

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Kid gave it back to his uncle, he got sceeeerrred.... his uncle called me agitated but after I told him my story he was actually pretty cool about it... he called his buddy the bail bondsman who he got the ski from and gave the ski back to him. The bailbondsman called me and listened and is now calling his ex-partner who actually got the ski from someone 16 years ago to make sure he is OK just giving it back to me or if he wants something for it...they all seem to believe my story so now just a matter of them actually doing the right thing here. Would be nice to know where my 360 and Vert Air are but I'll be happy just getting this baby back....

more to follow....

Hmm,, interesting,, bailbondsman,,,,, took it in trade?

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
Now I'm picturing Dog the Bounty Hunter speed skiing.:D

Attachments

• 5-da-kine-bail-bonds-hawaii.jpg
    5-da-kine-bail-bonds-hawaii.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 241

OHHH YAAA

Reaction score
I'll never understand stealing ski race equipment (or any theft), there is such a small market for this stuff. When I show other recreational skiers my race ski they almost sh*t because of the size, weight, and being buckled in the bindings. It seems that it would just come full circle, and this is proof of that. Hope it all works out, it's a good lookin ski.

jody165

Reaction score
Supposed to pick up the ski from the bailbondsman at 11am today... we'll see...

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Supposed to pick up the ski from the bailbondsman at 11am today... we'll see...

Good luck and be careful. Might wanna bring backup with you if you know what I mean.

jody165

Reaction score
Hard to believe but I picked up the ski today from the bailbond guy and he was totally cool about the whole thing. I brought a 12 pack of Corona for him and a picture of me at Konocti sitting on Randy Davis' old Vector deck with the ski clearly visible next to me.

So after 16 years I found my stolen ski. He's going to try to find the receipt where he bought the ski off of a guy back in 1995. Says he has all his records just to cover his ass. Would be fun to know who did this, then I can spend the next 16 yrs F'in with the guy...:smackbum:

Strange world we live in....

Attachments

• photo-9.JPG
    photo-9.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 179

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Hey Jody,, what a story!

Did this guy say why he bought it and then never skied on it? I am having a hard time with that logic, did he actually know anything about ski racing?

I remember when the skis got stolen, and how bummed you were about losing your glass 360 as well.

jody165

Reaction score
The bailbonds man said he bought it because the guy convinced him it was worth something. He just wanted to turn a small profit. He never wanted to ski on it. The guy who sold it told him he'd only skied on it a couple times and was scared of it....I'm don't think it's ever been skied on since it was stolen, it's basically in perfect condition, like it was in my closet the whole time.

rivergames

Reaction score
That is one hell of a story! Congrats on getting it back and I give props to some good people doing the right thing :thumbsup