WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

MAHARJAH SKI WANTED

Linear1

Reaction score
What is the difference between a Maha 360 and the GS? I am looking to buy a Maha ski that I can go offshore with before buying a Longboard for Catalina next year. So what is the best ski to step up from? Where would I buy one of these wooden wonders of the modern world?

Linear1:cool:

RodnJen

Reaction score
There are major differences between the GS and the 360 but I will let others who have skied on both tell you. There are a few GS's available on ebay and craigslist, both are good places to start because they are much cheaper than new.

Maherajah 360's are a different animal. They are a more recreational ski, coveted by there owners and harder to find. You can go to Bob direct and get a basic one for $1,000 or so. Mahaskis.com can tell you all you want to know about either ski. The Fastback model is the closest to 360. If you want something more special it will cost you.

I have a 66" 360 and love it. But I would buy another in a heartbeat if I could find a little longer one with the rear toe piece.

Linear1

Reaction score
Hey thanks. So are you saying the GS is more like a Longboard? Wider,heavier, longer etc?

RodnJen

Reaction score
Yes that is my understanding but there are others on here that would know better than me. You may want to post some general questions in the RD's Lounge section for a faster response.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Hey thanks. So are you saying the GS is more like a Longboard? Wider,heavier, longer etc?

As mentioned, the 360 is a recreational ski, but some skiers will train for Catalina on them. Many (or most?) ski racers use a 360 as an all around recreational/training ski.

The GS is considered a "longboard" I think, and may be suitable for a beginner attempt at Catalina. The speeds you will be skiing on your first trips are probably not going to be that fast.

If you are going to try to do other racing, you may just want to look for one of the "race" skis and proper racing bindings.

Boat737

Well used Member
Reaction score
I have both. Both great skis. I do 95% of my ski time on the Maha 360, and I even did a short circle race at Parker last Sept on the GS (didn't have any of my race equip there). It has HO bindings, It worked fine.

Attachments

• parkerSR092410b1ski.jpg
    parkerSR092410b1ski.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 593

old man on the lake

Reaction score
There is a 360 and a long board on Flea Bay.
360 looks a little rough but it might just be rope rash.

Boat737

Well used Member
Reaction score
Hey Boat 737 thanks. Is the pic a 360?

No, the pic is the GS long board. That one is, I think, 85 inches if I remember right. The 360 is about 68 inches or so. The race ski measures out to 87 inches, and is a bit narrower than the GS. I don't us the GS all that much. It's great for going longer rides like the length of Lake Havasu or Lake Mead, but for just playing around it's a bit big. As I say, the 360 is my favorite and most used ski. Slow, fast, smooth or rough, it's a fun little ski.

L

Leadermaker

Much appreciated Boat 737. Could you ski around 60-70 MPH on a 360 in open water?:D.

Boat737

Well used Member
Reaction score
Much appreciated Boat 737. Could you ski around 60-70 MPH on a 360 in open water?:D.

That would be doable. But to be honest, I was never one of the blistering fast racers. My terminal velocity on the race ski was a max of 75mph or so, maybe a tic faster in absolutely perfect conditions. Usually a lot slower than that. (that being sustained in hour marathons, not just for a few second play ski bursts). On the 360, a spurt of 50 to 60mph is fun, but I do mostly in the 30 to 45 range when on that ski. The youngsters might be in that 60 to 70 realm, but I have to take care of all the expensive metal parts in my old bod now. So 60-65mph is about it for me.

L

Leadermaker

Me too. Not so much metal but appreciate your comment. So thanks agin. If you know where I can pick up a good 360 or GS can you let me know. My private email is: [email protected]

Just one more thing 737-how many guys line up in the 45-56 age group at Catalina each year. Is it popular-who would I talk to about what it takes to compete in this race at my age(54)

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Me too. Not so much metal but appreciate your comment. So thanks agin. If you know where I can pick up a good 360 or GS can you let me know. My private email is: [email protected]

Just one more thing 737-how many guys line up in the 45-56 age group at Catalina each year. Is it popular-who would I talk to about what it takes to compete in this race at my age(54)

Find the Catalina Ski Race website for last year's results.

Catalina is an interesting race. Depending on how many times you have made the trip across, it's an accomplishment just to finish. If you have never skied out there, much of it is a mind game. Even if you are just skiing at 40-45 mph, you have to keep your mind sharp since rollers come unexpectedly. Depending on visibility, you can start getting anxious for the island if you see it early,, or wonder what's wrong if you don't see it.

The transition through the breakwater to open ocean "bites" many new racers. You have to expect to slow as you exit, and an overly excited driver can ruin the race for you right there.

I have never personally skied in the race, but have skied over a couple of times for fun. I have participated in the race and practice a bunch of times, big boats and small boats, observing and driving. It's an awesome deal. PM if you want to talk more about what you can expect. Getting pretty close to start training for this year!

Boat737

Well used Member
Reaction score

Ditto on obnoxious001's comments. Double ditto on the mind games in the middle of the channel. I swear, it took the first 10 years out in the channel for me to finally learn to trust the boat crew. When you can't see the land, you get all kinds of strange sensations. It seems like you are skiing in circles sometimes. Your inner ear is a terrible compass. Forget everything except the 10 to 100 feet of water in front of you. That also goes for how tired you are and how much you hurt.

There is a Catalina race web site someplace, and that should also have some good info. This years race is only a couple weeks away, so your best bet would be to start training for next years race. Of course, I had never left the breakwater in training for my first race in '82, and it cost me with 5 falls. Finished it though. Something like 68 out of about 125 or so starters, 79 finishers and 46 DNF's.

I'll keep my eyes open for any Maha's, but by the looks of the posts on the boards here, they will be tough to come by.

L

Leadermaker

Cool-thanks guys for the heads up on the big race. Next year is my plan. Thanks for keeping an eye out for Maha-thought about a DC from Aus-they seem similar to a Maha Longboard but have never met anyone who has skied on both.

wildone

You're a member.
Reaction score
Cool-thanks guys for the heads up on the big race. Next year is my plan. Thanks for keeping an eye out for Maha-thought about a DC from Aus-they seem similar to a Maha Longboard but have never met anyone who has skied on both.

where do you plan on skiing primarily? If you are going to be training in parker a 360 is a great start,or if your looking for more of a play ski that can handle the rough... its a solid ski into the 60s for most people. i know some people who train on them at higher speeds but they are far superior skiers then me such as carl goldsmith. if your going to be in the ocean get a dc trainer. its just shy of 7ft, and is bascially a cut down race ski, most guys train on these in the ocean with about 150ft of rope, the ski is still small enough to cut and jump on at places like parker, and a few of us use them in the puddingstone circle races, they can handle high speeds alot better then the 360

Dc are great skis i have had both a maja and a dc race ski. i prefer the dc. its a bit longer and heavier and in my opinion a better ski. but thats just my opinion. in the last worlds Todd haig skied on a dc and wayne mauyer on a maja. they both dominated the field. so obviously both skis are great.

i personally have 2 360's and an old vogue i use to play ski, and a dc trainer and race ski for the ocean and races. and to be honest where i ski (redondo beach) i use the dc trainer more then any of them

L

Leadermaker

Excellent. DC Trainer...Never thought of that. Much appreciated.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Excellent. DC Trainer...Never thought of that. Much appreciated.

DC trainer is going to be too short to race I think. You haven't said where you intend to ski,, or I missed it. Also don't know your ability, or if you are already skiing wrapped?

107mph

Reaction score
Guys: I'm brand new to RDP, so please excuse any forum-improprieties until I learn the "ropes" ?? I've got a '77 Maha longboard ( # 24 ) that I've just restored... I wanna' start introducing my stepsons & his buds to going fast - they had NO idea how fast we were going back in the late 70's ... I have been out of the go-fast group for decades, but would like to take this stick up to 85 or so and accordingly need the proper equipment. Got any ideas as to where I can find an aussie-style rope and the other stuff ? ski-bag, helmet, etc ? I've got a source for a vest & a shorty... Thanx for any help

the sandman

Reaction score
I have a Maha 360 double set boot ( circa 1986 i think., i might be willing to part with. hit me up @ mr997S@gmail .com with your e mail . i will try to get a pic for you.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
I have a Maha 360 double set boot ( circa 1986 i think., i might be willing to part with. hit me up @ mr997S@gmail .com with your e mail . i will try to get a pic for you.

How much?

RodnJen

Reaction score

How much and what size?

DoublePlay

Reaction score
Have a Maha 360 with large HO bindings and Maha race ski with size 11 DC bindings for sale. This is a package deal. Let me know if interested....

DoublePlay

Reaction score
Will have pictures posted this week of both........ Good luck to everyone this weekend.

RodnJen

Reaction score
Have a Maha 360 with large HO bindings and Maha race ski with size 11 DC bindings for sale. This is a package deal. Let me know if interested....

What is the length and condition of the 360? Wood?

Last edited:

DoublePlay

Reaction score
I will check the lenth when I take the pictures of both. Both are in great condition always in a bag and yes the 360 is wood. Also have helmet, bridle, holeshot, head and arm restraints ect. All race gear was last used at catalina in 2004.

DoublePlay

Reaction score
Sorry everyone that sent me messages about the ski / equip. Did not know we could recieve PM's on RDP. I think I replied to everyone. If not I will get to you. I will work on pictures and prices. Sorry it is taking so long closing on one house and renting another.....Things are a little crazy...

DoublePlay

Reaction score
Thanks for all thoughs who are interested, below is the list and prices:

Maha race ski with size 11 DC bindings (w/ bag): $1000.00
Maha 360 with HO lg bindings (w/ bag): $600
Race Helmet: $50.00
Head and arm restraints: $60.00
Holeshot: $30.00
Race Bridle: $30.00
Wings race suit (Holes in back): $25.00

Take is all for $1500.00

PM me if you are interested, we are in AZ.

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 793

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
I want the holeshot, rope and bridle

Where in AZ?

I might be able to deliver to Catalina if needed.

Something something Tapatalk

RodnJen

Reaction score
Did you get a chance to measure the length of the 360?

obnoxious001

Reaction score
I want the holeshot, rope and bridle

Where in AZ?

I might be able to deliver to Catalina if needed.

Something something Tapatalk

I think he is in or around Queen Creek. I talked to him for over an hour last night about some of our old ski racing.

DoublePlay

Reaction score
I'm in Queen Creek... thanks for the offer to take out to catalina this week. Still waiting on final offers. Would like to sale it all at once but might have to break up. If that is the case PM me with what you want, if it is not a package deal the bridle is sold.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
I assume that suit is too small for an out of shape ex ski racer?

DoublePlay

Reaction score
Remember it?s not old we just have experience and this suit just does not have enough experience. Cheers!

DoublePlay

Reaction score
Maha race ski with size 11 DC bindings (w/ bag): $1000.00
Maha 360 with HO lg bindings (w/ bag): $600 SOLD
Race Helmet: $50.00
Head and arm restraints: $60.00
Holeshot: $30.00 SOLD
Race Bridle: $30.00 SOLD
Wings race suit (Holes in back): $25.00

Had to break it up........ still have the race ski / Head and arm restraints/Wings race suit (Holes in back)