WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Maherajah ski rebuild

rivergames

Reaction score
I just bought a maherajah longboard ski off my buddy. The nose has been dinged up pretty bad from the ski handles. I really want to fix it up and throw a new set of bindings on the ski. I have a good collection to of maherajahs now. This would be make number 5

2 questions

1) What is the best way to patch the wholes on the ski

2 What is a good set of dual boot bindings?

I am waiting for the pics to load up. They will be posted soon

rivergames

Reaction score
P1000095.jpg

P1000096.jpg

P1000097.jpg

P1000098.jpg

P1000099.jpg

Mondorally

Reaction score
I just bought a maherajah longboard ski off my buddy. The nose has been dinged up pretty bad from the ski handles. I really want to fix it up and throw a new set of bindings on the ski. I have a good collection to of maherajahs now. This would be make number 5

2 questions

1) What is the best way to patch the wholes on the ski

2 What is a good set of dual boot bindings?

I am waiting for the pics to load up. They will be posted soon

Here is my current ski setup.

Maha.jpg

I used a two part 5 minute epoxy from Home Depot to fill the wrap rash on mine. Eventually I plan on having it vinyl wrapped.

On the bindings - are you playing? Racing? I've been very happy with these HO Animals. I'm not fast (yet :p) and these seem to be a good compromise between comfort and control. I've met a few guys that are racing and running the lace up rear dealios and they love 'em. But all the real fast/serious guys are running full race bindings.

rivergames

Reaction score

View attachment 107564

I used a two part 5 minute epoxy from Home Depot to fill the wrap rash on mine. Eventually I plan on having it vinyl wrapped.

On the bindings - are you playing? Racing? I've been very happy with these HO Animals. I'm not fast (yet :p) and these seem to be a good compromise between comfort and control. I've met a few guys that are racing and running the lace up rear dealios and they love 'em. But all the real fast/serious guys are running full race bindings.

I used the 5 minute epoxy on my 360. Worked great on the raw wood.

The pictures to show the depth of the gashes though. Its more of a gouge out of the wood. I need some type of wood filler. I was thinking about using saw dust mixed with a epoxy resin to full the holes.

If i used a apoxy resin though, I am assuming that a vinyl wrap would not adhere to the ski?

Are the HO Animals easy to get in and out of with soap?

Mondorally

Reaction score
I used the 5 minute epoxy on my 360. Worked great on the raw wood.

The pictures to show the depth of the gashes though. Its more of a gouge out of the wood. I need some type of wood filler. I was thinking about using saw dust mixed with a epoxy resin to full the holes.

If i used a apoxy resin though, I am assuming that a vinyl wrap would not adhere to the ski?

Are the HO Animals easy to get in and out of with soap?

Yeah, I posted right when you posted the pics. Get WhiteWorks on the line - he's one of the resident wood guys and is also interested in building skis. He should have some filler suggestions.

Dennis that does the vinyl wrapping is the one who suggested epoxy. He also suggested Marine Tex. That might be a good option for your deep gouges.

With soap the Animals are easy (standing on the deck of the boat;)). But if I step off and lose the ski I can't get them back on in the water.

rivergames

Reaction score
Yeah, I posted right when you posted the pics. Get WhiteWorks on the line - he's one of the resident wood guys and is also interested in building skis. He should have some filler suggestions.

Dennis that does the vinyl wrapping is the one who suggested epoxy. He also suggested Marine Tex. That might be a good option for your deep gouges.

With soap the Animals are easy (standing on the deck of the boat;)). But if I step off and lose the ski I can't get them back on in the water.

I was going to title the thread " ATTN WHITEWORKS", But figured I take pictures and make it a ski rebuild thread.

I will PM dennis when the time comes and have him make a wrap for the top of the ski. The blue coating on the bottom is in great condition. On my fastback I threw a set of lace up bindings on it. The lace ups are solid but a POA to get in and out of.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score

I have HO 98's on my play ski (animals before they called them animals) and put them on in the water no problem. Have more trouble putting them on w/ soap... Might just be because I'm used to putting on the ski in the water.

rivergames

Reaction score
as far as I know its just a vinyl sticker.

I sent Dennis a email. I just want to know if the vinyl would stick to the patches i need to make if I am using a epoxy filler. How does the vinyl wrap hold up on a ski?

.boatpoor

Reaction score

Looks like someone hit it with a prop. huh If you are goin to wrap it or paint it you could use the marinetex but if you want to see the wood you will need to scab some Ash onto it then grind, sand and resin. It could be fixed nice but it just takes time. :D:D Nice find thou.

rivergames

Reaction score
Looks like someone hit it with a prop. huh If you are goin to wrap it or paint it you could use the marinetex but if you want to see the wood you will need to scab some Ash onto it then grind, sand and resin. It could be fixed nice but it just takes time. :D:D Nice find thou.

Definitely looks like a prop might have tried to eat it. on the side that are chopped up, i am going to try and make a saw dust / epoxy filler. then on the tip i will use marine tex. Then throw a wrap over the top. New bindings will be ordered as well

.boatpoor

Reaction score
Is it made out of Ash or Spruce. I think Bob once told me he was makin some out of Spruce. After lokin at the pics again it may be Spruce. It would probably be better to cut it a bit,try and square it up and scab a piece onto it with some bar clamps. :D

rivergames

Reaction score
Anyone else recommend a set of bindings that are not lace up?

.boatpoor

Reaction score
Check with Bob, I thought he was resonable. .... Let's see some pics of the other ski's if you can..:D

D

Deleted Account

View attachment 107564

:D

Tear that thing up...:thumbsup

=River Perfection=

Reaction score
Great topic Andrew. My brother re did a really nice Maha not to long ago. I'll see if I can get pics before n after.

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
Dont mean to burst your bubble, But I would not want to go FAST on that ski or for that matter any old ski. IMO a race ski should only be drilled once for bindings any patch work/plugs ect. would only weaken the structural integrity of the original layup. If you want to go FAST buy a new Maha or DC, The new skis are bada$$ and worth every penny, for what its worth I think they are quite a value all things considered. Furthermore I will not be building any race skis in the near future, they are subject to a tremendous amount of stress and until I have the propper setup to build some bullet proof skis its not gonna happen.

.boatpoor

Reaction score
Quick and to the point, I like that.:thumbsup:D

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Dont mean to burst your bubble, But I would not want to go FAST on that ski or for that matter any old ski. IMO a race ski should only be drilled once for bindings any patch work/plugs ect. would only weaken the structural integrity of the original layup. If you want to go FAST buy a new Maha or DC, The new skis are bada$$ and worth every penny, for what its worth I think they are quite a value all things considered. Furthermore I will not be building any race skis in the near future, they are subject to a tremendous amount of stress and until I have the propper setup to build some bullet proof skis its not gonna happen.

Waht about play skis? I have been looking for a 360 but have been striking out :( my old HO mag just isnt doing it for me.

wildone

You're a member.
Reaction score
Waht about play skis? I have been looking for a 360 but have been striking out :( my old HO mag just isnt doing it for me.

If your looking for a decent play ski or trainer and cant find a good 360 try getting a hold of mike bemis. he has the old brad templates, they are great play skis, not sure if he is making any new ones right now, but last time i was up in his cabin he had a few laying around. i think he sells them blank in the 300 range

rivergames

Reaction score

This ski is around 1-1/4"'s thick. I dont see 12 filled screw holes from the bindings having a tremendous effect on the structure of the ski. I am more conserned about the nose (which looks like it went through a wood chipper). I am not looking to make any 80+ mph runs on this ski. Just a solid 55-70 mph ski to have fun on the river.

Would you splice a piece of wood in on the edge of the nose or just fill it with epoxy?

whiteworks

Reaction score
Play skis are in the works, something similar to a 360 maybe a little wider for our big boned associates:D also gonna make a mold for a mag/vert air.
This ski is around 1-1/4"'s thick. I dont see 12 filled screw holes from the bindings having a tremendous effect on the structure of the ski. I am more conserned about the nose (which looks like it went through a wood chipper). I am not looking to make any 80+ mph runs on this ski. Just a solid 55-70 mph ski to have fun on the river.

Would you splice a piece of wood in on the edge of the nose or just fill it with epoxy?

70mph is a pretty good clip, if your planning on messing around at the river (non race coures conditions/rough water) I would think it will most likely be ok unless its not;). As far as the patch work, for the holes I would over drill them and epoxy in dowels, for the big gouges maybe rough them up and use some sort of epoxy. Problem is if you flex the ski hard enough the patches might just pop out. But my main concern would be catastrophic equipment failure at speed (thats not gonna end well) The way I see it is a ski only has so many flexes in it and then snap. messing around on faulty equipment is just not a good idea.

D

Deleted Account

... But my main concern would be catastrophic equipment failure at speed (thats not gonna end well) The way I see it is a ski only has so many flexes in it and then snap. messing around on faulty equipment is just not a good idea.

Did you ever see the ski that Dennis broke in half?:skull

whiteworks

Reaction score

No, but I remember he said it was a painfull experiance. I believe it was a Sitka Spruce 360 that was pretty wrung out to begin with:smackhead

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

No, but I remember he said it was a painfull experiance. I believe it was a Sitka Spruce 360 that was pretty wrung out to begin with:smackhead

That fat fuck probably exceeded the weight limit of the ski. :skull

<---knows that "N" is reading this thread :D

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score

Didn't know you were looking,, Justin and I had spotted a glass 360 on Ebay awhile back, and Jason found one also. Mine came from the Pomona swap.

As to patching holes in a race ski,, I know there are a bunch of them out there that have been filled and re-drilled,, and raced over the years. I am sure someone must have broken one, but none that I recall seeing in all the years I was around the sport.

I have seen a number of recreational skis broken, mostly by heavy guys wake jumping. One of my friends broke a Vogue slalom ski in front of the front binding and we used to ski on what was left of it. He had them make up a custom thick one for him that was an extra 1/4" thick (about as heavy as a race ski).

I have seen at least two instances were bindings pulled screws out of skis. One was a skier I was pulling at a race at Puddingstone,, fortunately on the starting line so he didn't get hurt. If I recall, the screws were too short, and the bindings had been removed and reinstalled after the ski was painted.

rivergames

Reaction score
I went to look for 1/8" dowels at home depot yesterday. The smallest size they had was 1/4" anyone know where i can get some 1/8" dowels around west LA?

whiteworks

Reaction score
I went to look for 1/8" dowels at home depot yesterday. The smallest size they had was 1/4" anyone know where i can get some 1/8" dowels around west LA?

Try a hobby shop or craft store.

.boatpoor

Reaction score
Anawalt on Pico or House of Hardwood over buy Smart and Final one street east of.:D

Just Electric

freway offramp panhandler
Reaction score

lowes by me carries oak 1/8 dowels, but it comes in a three foot length so you would havr to cut to fit

rivergames

Reaction score
I was looking for the 1/8" flutted dowel pins. Hardware stores and hobby shops to not carry them. I am going to just pick up a 3' 1/8" dowel rod and cut it down. the epoxy should hold it in pretty good.

I have sanded most of the chuncks out of the nose of the ski. I just need to install the pins in the previous binding holes and then use the filler epoxy. Pics to come soon

rivergames

Reaction score
It has been a while since I updated this. The past couple weeks, I filled in all the dings with epoxy. Then took dowel pins and epoxied them into the previous binding holes.

I just dropped the ski off at a vinyl shop down the street from my office. This is the design they are going to do. It flows with the my schiada colors pretty good. Vinyl wil be done by Wed. So I will post up another pic then.

This Saturday, I am taking the ski up to Mike Bemis in Arrowhead. He is going to fit my new bindings to my foot and install them. I can't wait to ski Thanksgiving week/weekend :champagne:

Attachments

• andrews ski.jpg
    andrews ski.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 217