WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Major accident rice road. Head on.

Reaction score
I blame the California highway patrol, at the administration level. Obliviously they do not have a handle on that stretch of road (for the last 4 decades), and have fail to do their #1 job....Public safety.

Every weekend, there should be a zero tolerance patrol (1 patrol car every 5 miles on rice rd.), and a 24 hour DUI check point. If you are driving over 4 mph, you get a ticket. If you're driving over 1 mph you get pulled over and checked for sobriety.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
If you are driving over 4 mph, you get a ticket. If you're driving over 1 mph you get pulled over and checked for sobriety.
That's simply impossible. Typical speedo accuracy is +/- 5mph. I would best that very few vehicles on the road are going the actual speed displayed on the speedometer.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I blame the California highway patrol, at the administration level. Obliviously they do not have a handle on that stretch of road (for the last 4 decades), and have fail to do their #1 job....Public safety.

Every weekend, there should be a zero tolerance patrol (1 patrol car every 5 miles on rice rd.), and a 24 hour DUI check point. If you are driving over 4 mph, you get a ticket. If you're driving over 1 mph you get pulled over and checked for sobriety.

LOL yea right. This road is one of the least traveled highways in the area. Considering the major interstates around it, it would be a vast waste of resources patrolling the road in that manner, and would leave the interstates where people actually drive under protected.

This is the same argument as gun safety. The drivers are the problem, not the road.

Last edited:

Bpracing1127

Reaction score

I blame the drivers, the ones who don’t know how to drive, drive under the influence and all the others. It was said earlier roads don’t kill people people kill people.

Stop blaming others for their mistakes. Put them blame on the drivers

Reaction score
LOL yea right. This road is one of the least traveled highways in the area. Considering the major interstates around it, it would be a vast waste of resources patrolling the road in that manner, and would leave the interstates where people actually drive under protected.

This is the same argument as gun safety. The drivers are the problem, not the road.

Have you ever seen someone pass 25 cars on that road at 125mph+? I have...they made it too.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Have you ever seen someone pass 25 cars on that road at 125mph+? I have...they made it too.

Yep. People still die way more often on the surrounding interstates. It is a road, people drive recklessly on every road. You can take another route, or drive carefully and defensively on that one. The cops are already out there and state they cite 200 people a month. That seems like a strong enough presence. There is not enough traffic to warrant diverting that many cops to sit out there Friday night and Sunday afternoons.

Given the person is not drunk and paying attention, I'd rather someone pass me at 100 and be done with it, than pass me 5 MPH over the speed limit. The longer they are hanging out there, in my way, in the opposing lane, the fewer defensive driving options I have.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

And another liberal democrat checks into the discussion....

Some peoples kids. Fuck me running. :rolleyes:

buck35

Reaction score
It probably wouldn't take to many extra weekend patrols to send a slow the fuck down message. 15 over in washington can get you a reckless, and that can cost you for years . Just not worth it for the few minuets you may save.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Yep. People still die way more often on the surrounding interstates. It is a road, people drive recklessly on every road. You can take another route, or drive carefully and defensively on that one. The cops are already out there and state they cite 200 people a month. That seems like a strong enough presence. There is not enough traffic to warrant diverting that many cops to sit out there Friday night and Sunday afternoons.

Given the person is not drunk and paying attention, I'd rather someone pass me at 100 and be done with it, than pass me 5 MPH over the speed limit. The longer they are hanging out there, in my way, in the opposing lane, the fewer defensive driving options I have.
You nailed it on the head! If your gonna pass. Put your foot in it and go! If your a chicken shit, take the 40. Otherwise leave some room for people to duck in while they pass!

buck35

Reaction score
You nailed it on the head! If your gonna pass. Put your foot in it and go! If your a chicken shit, take the 40. Otherwise leave some room for people to duck in while they pass!

Or maybe just pass when its clear...

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It probably wouldn't take to many extra weekend patrols to send a slow the fuck down message. 15 over in washington can get you a reckless, and that can cost you for years . Just not worth it for the few minuets you may save.

They bring in more revenue on the interstates. More people are speeding on the interstates. There are far more problems and injuries on the interstates. If my tax dollars are paying for extra cops, I'd like them to be where they can help the most people.. An extra cop 45 minutes to an hour away on a desolate desert road that a few people die on every year helps no one.

buck35

Reaction score
Obviously you never passed people on rice road. It maybe clear when you start but not seconds later. Hence needing to duck in.
I rarely pass any one on two lane roads anymore. I have people pass me on a hill and 5 miles later were both sitting at the same stoplight.:rolleyes:

milkmoney

Reaction score
So let's see.
California sucks and the road to river sucks.

Hmmmm why bother .....

[emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
If the Instagram Story I just saw is correct there was another wreck a little bit ago on Rice Road. There were helicopters in the clip I saw.

Rjt01

Reaction score
Done with rice rd , lost to many friends to that road , if u take it pls be safe and just take ur time

dryhoze1

Reaction score

Lol that’s comical.

Then what a thread complaining about what CHP peeps make ?
I’ve been rolling that road for 50 years & nothing has changed out there.
Well something changed, the internet. Now you’re aware of each incident.

Travel safe..

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I agree that widening rice road to 4 lanes would seem to be a solution to reduce the death toll...However, it would be interesting to look at statistics for the stretch of 395 between Adelanto and the connection to the 14..
That stretch was deadly and they at least widened some sections and made them NO PASSING zones....

I wonder if that made any difference in major accidents or deaths..

probably not...people still drive like aholes..
Widening would make them feel safer. My feeling is that a center k-rail at minimum to stop/reduce crossovers will be the biggest benefit.
Sounds like every accident this weekend was headon.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Widening would make them feel safer. My feeling is that a center k-rail at minimum to stop/reduce crossovers will be the biggest benefit.
Sounds like every accident this weekend was headon.

I have driven rice road “fast” for 20+years. I always set the cruise at 79 not towing. When I pass it’s go time I don’t pass slowly I do my pass and gtfo back into my lane. The road has always been dangerous but it seems like it’s much more frequent that I see people passing in no passing zones that’s what scares the shit out of me. I think a big part of it also is the fact that cars today haul ass. My wife’s suburban I constantly catch my self cruising at 90+. I have to use the cruise control on that car to keep from driving too fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I have driven rice road “fast” for 20+years. I always set the cruise at 79 not towing. When I pass it’s go time I don’t pass slowly I do my pass and gtfo back into my lane. The road has always been dangerous but it seems like it’s much more frequent that I see people passing in no passing zones that’s what scares the shit out of me. I think a big part of it also is the fact that cars today haul ass. My wife’s suburban I constantly catch my self cruising at 90+. I have to use the cruise control on that car to keep from driving too fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree.
The advancement of vehicles has desensitized the driver.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Agree.
The advancement of vehicles has desensitized the driver.

I agree. In my old truck, I just keep an eye on how fast the gas gauge is moving....no need to even look at the speedo. New cars are too quiet.

I bet a fun experiment would be to do the drive windows up with the radio on, vs windows down....I bet the added wind and road noise would give a greater perception of speed and slow a guy down 5-10mph or so.

Edit, or just put BFGs on all the trucks...they'll slow down until they can hear themselves think.

NicPaus

Reaction score
You sure that wasn't from last year?
Not sure. They just showed me a article said it happened Monday. Most we never hear about unless on here or RW. I have had neighbor call me after passing a fatal wreck and pass 2 hours later and not see anything or hear about it. Search comes up empty.

I passed a wadded up suburban and camper that was off road up hill on side of the 60 on way home. Cup on scene tow truck just arrived. No occupants on scene. Searched nothing. They need those signs like Alaska that show how many Moose have been hit on highway for year. Post the fatalities for year and pass safe signs. Maybe add a few passing lanes like they have between Parker and Havasu.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Not sure. They just showed me a article said it happened Monday. Most we never hear about unless on here or RW. I have had neighbor call me after passing a fatal wreck and pass 2 hours later and not see anything or hear about it. Search comes up empty.

I passed a wadded up suburban and camper that was off road up hill on side of the 60 on way home. Cup on scene tow truck just arrived. No occupants on scene. Searched nothing. They need those signs like Alaska that show how many Moose have been hit on highway for year. Post the fatalities for year and pass safe signs. Maybe add a few passing lanes like they have between Parker and Havasu.

I'm in agreement.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Speaking of head-on's. My carpool buddy and I were one of the first on scene for one this morning on the 95 between Havasu Heights and Walmart.

Stay safe guys. And try to run the right lane if possible, no reason to run on the yellow line .I have to think that if there were 1 lane of separation this morning, there may be more survivors

WildWilly

Reaction score
Speaking of head-on's. My carpool buddy and I were one of the first on scene for one this morning on the 95 between Havasu Heights and Walmart.

Stay safe guys. And try to run the right lane if possible, no reason to run on the yellow line .I have to think that if there were 1 lane of separation this morning, there may be more survivors

I heard another multi fatality and 95 will be closed for hours....that bad eh?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

A few years back a guy driving a van was head on style sideswiped on Rice by a chick reaching under her seat for her dropped cell phone.

He ended up about 50 yard out in the desert upside down, his left leg snapped in half dangling in front of his head held to his body only by skin and some remaining muscle. His face looked like a $15 Dominos pizza.

Some truckers stopped and we cut him free.
I finally bumped into him recently at Fox’s and he argues theirs a collision daily on Rice.
Yeah that’s a stretch but there are far more than we hear about.
We usually just hear about the ones a RDP members rolls by or witnesses.

Ehrenberg Rd for many reasons is best.
It’s flatter, it’s straighter (you’re lined up with penis rock the entire distance as soon as it appears over the horizon as proof) and emergency services are minutes, not hours away.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I like award winning movie shorts and one Rice rd wreck we came across at 2:44 AM would make an eye opening story.

I’m towing the WB boat at 60 mph. This because I had been stopped a month earlier doing 75 and the CHP let me go because I was the only guy that month that didn’t give him crap.

Tickets stretch out to $600 to $800 when they add it all up even more when your insurance defaults to a higher rate.

Ok, so I’m cruising along and a new, White Grand Cherokee passes and blows by me at full throttle.
About 10 miles past the 29 Stumps stop sign off in the night ahead you seen flashlights waving around and vehicles 4 way flashers going off in the distance.

The guy in the Cherokee head-on’d a crew cab of Indians that were quickly scooped up by another crew cab of Indians and thrown into the back of their truck and off to the hospital they went.
The Indians knew it would be hours before help arrived.
It was hours.

The guy in the Cherokee was nearly cut in half by his seat belt and his 3 year old son in the seat next to him only had a forehead burn from the air bag but was miraculously saved.
Hood, tailgate and all four door blown off the Jeep, engine and tranny out in the desert some place, the guys half gone handle of Bacardi survived too.

The Jeep drivers wife eventually rolled up behind the wreck, she had benn following 20 minutes back, and all she had to say was what his life insurance would pay and net his net worth.
She was glad to see it as she handed a bottle of water to her 3 year old and put ice to his forehead. She never got out and talked to her severely injured husband.

We got him out of the Jeep and it was well over 2 hours before help arrived and got him to the hospital. The guy was in agony like you never witnessed from anyone.
A long 2 hours.
Airway bleeding, circulation is all you can do in the meantime. ABC.

Last edited:

Runs2rch

Reaction score
So wife wanted the Cherokee guy to croak?

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I heard another multi fatality and 95 will be closed for hours....that bad eh?

Its bad, and I've been on plenty of wrecks driving a tow truck. Clean up won't be the long part, getting the people out will be.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Its bad, and I've been on plenty of wrecks driving a tow truck. Clean up won't be the long part, getting the people out will be.
All deceased? You the tow truck on scene?

Taboma

Reaction score
A few years back a guy driving a van was head on style sideswiped on Rice by a chick reaching under her seat for her dropped cell phone.

He ended up about 50 yard out in the desert upside down, his left leg snapped in half dangling in front of his head held to his body only by skin and some remaining muscle. His face looked like a $15 Dominos pizza.

Some truckers stopped and we cut him free.
I finally bumped into him recently at Fox’s and he argues theirs a collision daily on Rice.
Yeah that’s a stretch but there are far more than we hear about.
We usually just hear about the ones a RDP members rolls by or witnesses.

Ehrenberg Rd for many reasons is best.
It’s flatter, it’s straighter (you’re lined up with penis rock the entire distance as soon as it appears over the horizon as proof) and emergency services are minutes, not hours away.

As much as I enjoy and appreciate your RDP contributions and understand the compassion you extend towards your fellow man ---- Stop It, just Stop It !!!!! :mad: I cringe and bellow like a large ape with his nuts in a vise every time you and a few others decide to run your Ehrenberg Sales spiel. :mad:
Not that it's a secret, I get it, but do you really want all the Rice Road Racing Team bringing their insanity to that lovely stretch of highway ? :( I know I don't, we switched many many years ago in hopes of erasing the memory of that dreaded carnage behind. :eek:
Read what your RDP peers type on here, they're convinced there's not a thing in the world wrong with running 90 and then accelerating to pass another car running at 89.5. They're rational is, at that speed they pass faster, well, sure OK, but to the poor schmuck who's opposing lane their now occupying, the closing speed is at roughly 170 mph. :confused:
I'm sorry, but I don't want to share any highways with these people, I don't care how many beers they think they can drink and still drive better than me.
More traffic on that route will bring out more tribal cops and more assholes towing boats straight at me at 80+, cuz 65 is boring and adds another 15 minutes to their trip. I'm not in that big of a hurry, never once have I arrived a half hour later and the lake was gone. ;)
Currently that section is about the nicest part of our lake drive, so please TPC and you other do gooders, I don't care how much the Erhenberg Chamber of Commerce is paying you, for the love of God, stop advertising this route to the world on this forum. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know, you can't help yourself, because your message might save one RDP bro, but it might lose an entire RDP family :(

So everybody, take Rice Road, they'll let you drive as fast as you want, there's no speed enforcement :p I think I read they're even discounting body bags, buy one, get three more for free ;)

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
As much as I enjoy and appreciate your RDP contributions and understand the compassion you extend towards your fellow man ---- Stop It, just Stop It !!!!! :mad: I cringe and bellow like a large ape with his nuts in a vise every time you and a few others decide to run your Ehrenberg Sales spiel. :mad:
Not that it's a secret, I get it, but do you really want all the Rice Road Racing Team bringing their insanity to that lovely stretch of highway ? :( I know I don't, we switched many many years ago in hopes of erasing the memory of that dreaded carnage behind. :eek:
Read what your RDP peers type on here, they're convinced there's not a thing in the world wrong with running 90 and then accelerating to pass another car running at 89.5. They're rational is, at that speed they pass faster, well, sure OK, but to the poor schmuck who's opposing lane their now occupying, the closing speed is at roughly 170 mph. :confused:
I'm sorry, but I don't want to share any highways with these people, I don't care how many beers they think they can drink and still drive better than me.
More traffic on that route will bring out more tribal cops and more assholes towing boats straight at me at 80+, cuz 65 is boring and adds another 15 minutes to their trip. I'm not in that big of a hurry, never once have I arrived a half hour later and the lake was gone. ;)
Currently that section is about the nicest part of our lake drive, so please TPC and you other do gooders, I don't care how much the Erhenberg Chamber of Commerce is paying you, for the love of God, stop advertising this route to the world on this forum. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know, you can't help yourself, because your message might save one RDP bro, but it might lose an entire RDP family :(

So everybody, take Rice Road, they'll let you drive as fast as you want, there's no speed enforcement :p I think I read they're even discounting body bags, buy one, get three more for free ;)
I take your right honorable point.
Thumbs up.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score

I agree 100%. Let those 25-45 year old chest beaters stay on that death hwy. I used it for years and years and WILL NOT use it again.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I agree 100%. Let those 25-45 year old chest beaters stay on that death hwy. I used it for years and years and WILL NOT use it again.

More people die on the 10, 15 and the 40 in San Bernardino county than Rice Road.

Certainly more people travel those interstates, but just wanted to put things into perspective.

Dumb, drunk or distracted drivers are everywhere in the desert. They don’t all sit on Rice Road waiting to kill passerby.

FWIW I take the 40 95% of the time these days.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

As I cruise along at 70-72mph Ricky Rice Racers are by me in a flash. I'm acutely aware of whats a mile or more ahead or behind me, not just staring at the pavement in front of my hood.
The downfall to this is it takes me a good hour to wind down when I get to my destination.
I'm weird, I enjoy driving.

Taboma

Reaction score
As I cruise along at 70-72mph Ricky Rice Racers are by me in a flash. I'm acutely aware of whats a mile or more ahead or behind me, not just staring at the pavement in front of my hood.
The downfall to this is it takes me a good hour to wind down when I get to my destination.
I'm weird, I enjoy driving.

Funny how bad memories don't always fade. Drove Rice in the 70's, drove it again in the 90's, drove it seemingly forever. Good and bad days, narrow misses, chasing a Mercedes rabbit with my radar on kill, chased by a mad-max trucker, one ticket blowing out my Trans-Am, then a series of witnessing some seriously messed up shit. Pulled the plug and for the past maybe 8 years have used the alternate. So recently during a mid week drive to the lake I asked my co-pilot of 36 years if she'd like to change it up and try Rice again --- " No, fuck no", the immediate response.
Message received and it works for me :) I arrive far more relaxed :D

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Loud and clear.:D:cool:
I alternate my routes now and then to disturb the monotony.
I drive on high alert all the time, if I get too relaxed I'm missing a vital roadway detail somewhere.

Ultra912

Reaction score
Hwy 138 from Palmdale to Victorville is also problematic like Rice road . Locals have named it Death Highway . I don’t understand why the state / county have never widened either ...
You must be talking about hwy 395/death hwy
138 has been widened, 395 and Palmdale Rd have not

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Funny how bad memories don't always fade. Drove Rice in the 70's, drove it again in the 90's, drove it seemingly forever. Good and bad days, narrow misses, chasing a Mercedes rabbit with my radar on kill, chased by a mad-max trucker, one ticket blowing out my Trans-Am, then a series of witnessing some seriously messed up shit. Pulled the plug and for the past maybe 8 years have used the alternate. So recently during a mid week drive to the lake I asked my co-pilot of 36 years if she'd like to change it up and try Rice again --- " No, fuck no", the immediate response.
Message received and it works for me :) I arrive far more relaxed :D
My co-pilot of 39 years said the identical words, plus, are you out of your mind!!!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Not a soul on Rice currently.
20180704_191252.jpg

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Loud and clear.:D:cool:
I alternate my routes now and then to disturb the monotony.
I drive on high alert all the time, if I get too relaxed I'm missing a vital roadway detail somewhere.
I do the same, but i have to go to 29 palms tommorow so rice it will be.