IMG_0202.JPG
they’re all I ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BlowMe

Reaction score
Fuckin love it. 2 strokes all the way baby

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I've had several 2 smokes over the years. Here's one I kick myself in the ass for selling about ten years ago. Funny story, one time I was riding down PCH through HB and had stopped at a light. Guy on another bike pulls up next to me and when the light turned green I was gone. He pulls up to me at the next light, lifts his visor and says "hey your bike is really smoking alot, you might want to take it to the shop to get it checked out". I laughed and told him it's a 2 stroke and he looked at me like a deer in headlights.

IMG_4396.JPG

Last edited:

bonesfab

Reaction score
I've had several 2 smokes over the years. Here's one I kick myself in the ass for selling about ten years ago. Funny story, one time I was riding down PCH through HB and had stopped at a light. Guy on another bike pulls up next to me and when the lite turned green I was gone. He pulls up to me at the next light, lifts his visor and says "hey your bike is really smoking alot, you might want to take it to the shop to get it checked out". I laughed and told him it's a 2 stroke and he looked at me like a deer in headlights.

View attachment 802506

I just acquired one of those. Doing my part 4 cylinders at a time.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I just acquired one of those. Doing my part 4 cylinders at a time.
It was a garage find in Santa Anna that I found in 2007. Had 2400k on it and was last rode in 1989. Gave the guy $4500 for it and took it home for a frame off restoration that took me about 6 months. Since these bikes were not sold in the states parts were not available from your local Yamaha shop but I was fortunate that my boss at the time had a daughter that worked in the parts department of a major dealership in Calgary Canada. This was only 3 known Black/Red European models in the states when I sold it. It was a 1985.

bonesfab

Reaction score
It was a garage find in Santa Anna that I found in 2007. Had 2400k on it and was last rode in 1989. Gave the guy $4500 for it and took it home for a frame off restoration that took me about 6 months. Since these bikes were not sold in the states parts were not available from your local Yamaha shop but I was fortunate that my boss at the time had a daughter that worked in the parts department of a major dealership in Calgary Canada. This was only 3 known Black/Red European models in the states when I sold it. It was a 1985.

I have wanted one since i heard one 25 years ago. The one i just got is a Japan spec import with the aluminum frame. Pretty nice condition.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I have wanted one since i heard one 25 years ago. The one i just got is a Japan spec import with the aluminum frame. Pretty nice condition.
Yeah that was the ones with the aluminum frame, all other models were steel frame. Did you know the Japan model was detuned down 15hp from all other models? Easy fix though, just remove the restrictors in the exhaust and jet the carbs up to get it back on track.
Let me see if I can find the build thread on mine and I'll post the link.

SoCalDave

Reaction score

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
My first dirt bike was an ‘88 Kx250 with a 290 kit...got it from a guy who worked for RaceTech so even though it was old as shit (pretty sure I got it in 2001 or so) it was badass. Then I got a new YZ426...2 smoke was more fun, sold it and bought the kx back.

Anyone remember the Suzuki water buffalo? I had one of those too.

bonesfab

Reaction score
Yeah that was the ones with the aluminum frame, all other models were steel frame. Did you know the Japan model was detuned down 15hp from all other models? Easy fix though, just remove the restrictors in the exhaust and jet the carbs up to get it back on track.
Let me see if I can find the build thread on mine and I'll post the link.

yea I read all about that. It has been derestricted already. The forks have been upgraded with tz inverted forks and a 17" wheel.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Here's mine making a beer run again. Can't wait for riding season. Ride all day and night with that headlight and it's a bright motherfucker.
20190929_154804.jpg
20190929_155101.jpg

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Anyone remember the Suzuki water buffalo? I had one of those too.
My buddy had a 750wb, that thing was a beast when in the power band.
Going back to 1972 or so in small town TN at age 14 or so I was at my buddy's house for the weekend and we were sifting through his parents garage and uncovered an R5 (later branded as the RD). It was his older brothers that had left for college so we drug it out, fueled it up and terrorized the neighborhood for the summer. Those second gear power band wheelies were something to remember. Good times for sure.
Had a mid 70's Penton 250 that was a hoot as well.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
First ride on the new 300 today

IMG_8891.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your ad here

Reaction score
What headlight are you running? Is it battery operated or from the stator?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Baja designs light and power from the stator. I'm running a ricky stator and you have to specify a lighting stator when ordering from them... If a CR with a power valve I'm sure the stock stator can power the light. I'm also running a horn and rear light.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Baja designs light and power from the stator. I'm running a ricky stator and you have to specify a lighting stator when ordering from them... If a CR with a power valve I'm sure the stock stator can power the light. I'm also running a horn and rear light.
I'd love to get a plate for my KX500 but I really don't want to deal with a larger stator if I can find a good battery powered light kit.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk