WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Making a new rear bench - replacing dog house

Tahoe540

Reaction score
I have a 21 ft Halett. I want to take out the jump seats and have an engine cover.

I am going to build a bench and need to know approximately how deep it should be?

The back of the bench will be installed at the front of the bilge/engine compartment.

Does anyone know off hand how deep or a comfortable size or can someone measure theirs?

oldschool

Reaction score
What Hallett do you have?
This is the bench in my 78’ Super Sport. I can get some measurements this weekend if you want.
BB4232D3-A3A9-495C-9D3B-DB5796CDC12A.jpeg

Last edited:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Back bench seat is 15" deep on my 247. Theres a 3in overhang on the 15in deep cushion but that acounts for about the 3in of foam from the back cushion. Dont forget to give yourself a slight pitch back of more than 90degrees on the seat back as well

Smooth Mvr

Reaction score
I have a 21 ft Halett. I want to take out the jump seats and have an engine cover.

I am going to build a bench and need to know approximately how deep it should be?

The back of the bench will be installed at the front of the bilge/engine compartment.

Does anyone know off hand how deep or a comfortable size or can someone measure theirs?
What will you do with the doghouse and jumper seats? Available for purchase? In good or salvageable condition?

Water Romper

Reaction score
Hey T-540....if you don't mind, can you take pictures along the way of your rear deck project...I have an old Hallett Sport Skier with an outboard (my boat is much smaller than your boat) and I don't like the rear seat/storage/battery/bulb primer access. I'm not smart enough to come up with creative ideas 😁

Tahoe540

Reaction score
Hey T-540....if you don't mind, can you take pictures along the way of your rear deck project...I have an old Hallett Sport Skier with an outboard (my boat is much smaller than your boat) and I don't like the rear seat/storage/battery/bulb primer access. I'm not smart enough to come up with creative ideas 😁
I will post progress pics.

Tahoe540

Reaction score
I will at some point. I am waiting until I have it all done before I sell. The wood on the jump seats is not new but not that bad. Dog house is really nice and is all fiberglass.

Tahoe540

Reaction score
Can anyone post some pics of your bench seats?

I would like to have U-shaped rear seating.

Does anyone have one like this they could post a pick?

wzuber

Reaction score
I've been building boat interiors for friends, family and myself for over 20 yrs. The best thing you can do to save time and money as well as have a good functioning system is find a shop that you want to do the finish vinyl work and ask them all your questions and then follow their advice. Everyone does things a little different and it effects how the components work together. Having the correct gaps between the eng. Cover frame/deck and hull will vary, how its supported, hinged etc. also how it integrates with the bench seat back is critical to the design and build plan. The rear deck/bench seat configuration is the most difficult aspect to build in a boat like yours. Just differences in foam thickness used can make or break your build plan. Best to get correct design and build plan from the get go to have a correct interior system that not only looks good but works correctly and lasts to stand the test of time and use/abuse. Good luck.
I hope this helps.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
16" is the key number. Cushion 16" deep give or take design allowances.( Have room to make it deeper to sit/ lay sideways?). 2" in 16" lay back.

Tahoe540

Reaction score
I've been building boat interiors for friends, family and myself for over 20 yrs. The best thing you can do to save time and money as well as have a good functioning system is find a shop that you want to do the finish vinyl work and ask them all your questions and then follow their advice. Everyone does things a little different and it effects how the components work together. Having the correct gaps between the eng. Cover frame/deck and hull will vary, how its supported, hinged etc. also how it integrates with the bench seat back is critical to the design and build plan. The rear deck/bench seat configuration is the most difficult aspect to build in a boat like yours. Just differences in foam thickness used can make or break your build plan. Best to get correct design and build plan from the get go to have a correct interior system that not only looks good but works correctly and lasts to stand the test of time and use/abuse. Good luck.
I hope this helps.
Thanks for the suggestion. This is my first attempt at something like this. I will need to find a good upholsterer in my area now.