WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Making auto inflator pfds safe

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
So work in progess so far

Going to use the rescue climber rigging to tether the pfd to prevent it from giving me the slip at higher speed
91A1E87B-9EE3-45FD-A753-599BD159603A.jpeg
4AF0EA06-BBDF-4D81-8E0E-15FB711B3C98.jpeg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Are you sure the inflatable portion would be ok hitting the water at speed and not either inflate or "pop" for lack of a better term?

RD

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
It takes 4 seconds to inflate while complete submerged for auto deployment. You can manually yank the inflator as well. You can also manually blow them up. I would think impacting water or other things since it’s not inflated would allow it to live but weird shit happens.

Also have to remember that impact speeds are far less then your speed of travel on the craft. When they did scientific studies of Earnhardt’s crash they discovered that his impact speed into the wall was like less than 20 miles an hour, not the 200 mile an hour vehicle speed.

Rotten deal

Reaction score
It takes 4 seconds to inflate while complete submerged for auto deployment. You can manually yank the inflator as well. You can also manually blow them up. I would think impacting water or other things since it’s not inflated would allow it to live but weird shit happens.

Also have to remember that impact speeds are far less then your speed of travel on the craft. When they did scientific studies of Earnhardt’s crash they discovered that his impact speed into the wall was like less than 20 miles an hour, not the 200 mile an hour vehicle speed.
Maybe watch the Garth Tagge Jim Melly crash and see how much it looks like they slowed down before it was over.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
What type of PFD restraints do the drag boat guys use? I know they had something, but different types of PFD's obviously.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Pretty sure, the whole point of this is so he can wear a PFD all the time , while cruising around the river, but have an increased level of safety. Wearing a Lifeline all day long while on the river isn’t really a practical option.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Bigger problem. The seats with a standard life jacket a no go. Places me even higher out of the boat and puts a strain on my back.

And I can wear these all day.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
How about a simple "crotch belt", like a 5pt harness? My kids first pfd's had that for the same reason you're talking about, so they didn't fall through. The thigh harness, like a climbing rig, may get uncomfortable and hot as hell. A 1" or 1.5" web under your butt may be more comfortable while under way. Don't get me wrong, you'd probably end up with a wedgy if tossed, but at that point comfort isn't a real priority.

WYRD

Reaction score

Still didn't work out too well for Dale...

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I’d have to agree with monkeywrench. A single crotch strap would be way more comfortable, and still keep ya from coming out of it.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Check with what they have done for circle boats with the inflatable helmet immobilizer. I knew they were testing and selling something a couple of years back, but don't know the current status of the device. Maybe check with Ross from SCSC.

oldschool

Reaction score
Check with what they have done for circle boats with the inflatable helmet immobilizer. I knew they were testing and selling something a couple of years back, but don't know the current status of the device. Maybe check with Ross from SCSC.
Drag boat guys are using these as well. I think the bass tournament guys are already using something like this as well. I have a couple Lifeline capsule jackets that are basically the same as their poker run jackets that work really well.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
There’s a whole lotta nope in this thread. I’m not depending on a bass boat life jacket when I get pitched at high speed. Anything above 35mph and you take an unexpected toss it’s a violent tumble to a stop.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
How about a simple "crotch belt", like a 5pt harness? My kids first pfd's had that for the same reason you're talking about, so they didn't fall through. The thigh harness, like a climbing rig, may get uncomfortable and hot as hell. A 1" or 1.5" web under your butt may be more comfortable while under way. Don't get me wrong, you'd probably end up with a wedgy if tossed, but at that point comfort isn't a real priority.

I agree the climbing rig was more for a proof concept of leg straps to make work on this

The mustang offshore racing inflator is similar in strapping. This would just be bulky and hot and heavy as well. But some simple straps should work.

from reading the biggest problem with inflators is failure to auto inflate within 5 seconds or none at all

But they almost always inflate manually. But the study pointed out that the facts of how old and if inspected was a problem. They said there was a 8% failure rate recorded

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
That’s not a bass boat vest. It’s an ocean inflator

I’m all for personal responsibility. It’s entirely your decision on what PFD you’re most comfortable wearing at the speed you wish. If your comfortable with the level of risk, whatever that might be, I support that decision.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I’m all for personal responsibility. It’s entirely your decision on what PFD you’re most comfortable wearing at the speed you wish. If your comfortable with the level of risk, whatever that might be, I support that decision.

Curious how many wear a pfd 100% of the time that are posting about this.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
The older lifelines just had loops you put your legs through with 2 straps to the jacket. No crotch strap.
I used to have lifeline ballistic shorts that the vest clipped to on the sides.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Curious how many wear a pfd 100% of the time that are posting about this.

That’s also a personal decision. There are times I wear them and times I don’t. But anytime I thought I was going to run the big number it was on.

I know how fucked up I’ve gotten just water skiing or wake boarding. I can’t imagine the violence at speeds higher than that and don’t plan on finding out. Thankfully I’ve never been pitched out... yet (knock on wood).

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Correct. I guess it’s a matter of risk assessment.
How fast is your boat?

Running low 70s right now, modding it to hopefully crack the 80s plus

And im not advocating that im wearing this just for running fast, this is my always on rig for this boat, if i was racing then i would wear a regular vest as i can stand the discomfort in the seat for 5 mins, but not for running to pirates and back kind of deal.

oldschool

Reaction score
If I was running that fast I’d have a Lifeline on, if I was “cruising” up the river I likely wouldn’t. That’s just my thoughts. Maybe change the seats to give more room? I don’t have to worry about this at the moment as my current boat only does 40(maybe).

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
If I was running that fast I’d have a Lifeline on, if I was “cruising” up the river I likely wouldn’t. That’s just my thoughts. Maybe change the seats to give more room? I don’t have to worry about this at the moment as my current boat only does 40(maybe).

No i just had a new interior installed not an option, and wearing a auto inflator vs nothing is an improvement

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Drag boat guys are using these as well. I think the bass tournament guys are already using something like this as well. I have a couple Lifeline capsule jackets that are basically the same as their poker run jackets that work really well.
any link to these

guest hs

Reaction score
I think the seats you have are from Cabalas the bass boat guys use them and there is some kind of inflatable device that actually goes in conjunction with that seat you have in your jet botte: Give them a call I know some of those bass boats really move and they wear them.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I think the seats you have are from Cabalas the bass boat guys use them and there is some kind of inflatable device that actually goes in conjunction with that seat you have in your jet botte: Give them a call I know some of those bass boats really move and they wear them.

The seats were custom made

The lap belt inflators is what I wore in the helicopter during desert storm, if you think what I have is not going to work then the lap one is 100x worse lol.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Running low 70s right now, modding it to hopefully crack the 80s plus

And im not advocating that im wearing this just for running fast, this is my always on rig for this boat, if i was racing then i would wear a regular vest as i can stand the discomfort in the seat for 5 mins, but not for running to pirates and back kind of deal.
Man
Back in the day we used to run 100 naked. Times have surely changed.
:D

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
I got one of these when they approved them for drag boats. I like it better than using the helmet restraints.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Why not get in touch with a company like HELITE that already has a proven “airbag” style vest designed? They went from the equestrian side of things to motorcycles. There’s definitely a market in the boating industry and this is definitely in their wheelhouse.

Last edited:

guest hs

Reaction score
Man
Back in the day we used to run 100 naked. Times have surely changed.
:D
Shit when I was a kid in the 70’s I didn’t wear a seat belt my mom and dad smoked in front of me I walked almost a mile to school

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Right. We also used to sleep on the rear deck above the back seat of the car on road trips too.
Lol

HighVoltage329

Reaction score
We have lifeline’s & inflatables. We always ware at least the inflatables for more of pleasure runs but lifelines if it’s a poker run or a run in the Vector. When we leave the 5mph we put them on, it’s not optional.