WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Making some Wood Skis For Fun

Cole Harper

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just finished making a Classic inspired Water ski for fun. it was a super fun process. Started off with a mold, and steam box, got some nice wood from a store called Austin Hardwood in Santa Ana, Ca. I steamed the wood, put it in the mold, after that cut the shape i wanted, bottom concave, and glassed it like you would a surfboard, with fiberglass cloth and polyester resin, that way it wont snap when jumping the wake. Gave the ski a polish, put some old bindings on and went for a ride. The ski is super fun! I want more people to get out on water skis and enjoy the fun we all have at the river. Make your own! or i am currently in the process of making another one. Maybe a loaner ski for folks to try, or maybe if they kick off start to sell them? But the main thing is fun on the water, which is all of our goal.
ski.jpg
ski1.jpg

hallett21

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just finished making a Classic inspired Water ski for fun. it was a super fun process. Started off with a mold, and steam box, got some nice wood from a store called Austin Hardwood in Santa Ana, Ca. I steamed the wood, put it in the mold, after that cut the shape i wanted, bottom concave, and glassed it like you would a surfboard, with fiberglass cloth and polyester resin, that way it wont snap when jumping the wake. Gave the ski a polish, put some old bindings on and went for a ride. The ski is super fun! I want more people to get out on water skis and enjoy the fun we all have at the river. Make your own! or i am currently in the process of making another one. Maybe a loaner ski for folks to try, or maybe if they kick off start to sell them? But the main thing is fun on the water, which is all of our goal. View attachment 810464 View attachment 810465

Badass!! Is it multiple layers of wood or just one?

I wanna ski it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cole Harper

Reaction score
Badass!! Is it multiple layers of wood or just one?

I wanna ski it!!!
Once I get the loaner ski done I will post it! And everyone on RDP can try it. Taking turns of course haha

Wbinder

Reaction score
That’s funny I’ve been wanting to do the same thing since a new 360 is a ton of money but I have no clue what to do haha

Reactions: TPC

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Awesome! How about a bit more of a tutorial on how to make them? Whiteworks had a thread on here years back that was super cool to follow.

Reactions: TPC

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Beautiful ski and craftsmanship.

Reminds me of the Taperflex Wake Jumper that I learned on, with that square tail section. It got lifted from my dad's boat in copper canyon, early 90's

How long is it? A 72" or 74" would get me out of the water.

Dan'l

Cole Harper

Reaction score
I made a 65", it is 2 layers of wood. Maybe I will make tutorial video or a step by step.

wzuber

Reaction score
The owners of Pacific Boat trailers in Chino have a bunch of ski blanks, forms and ski building tools. Apparently, in the 50/60's era they manufactured a line of water ski's. I think it might have been Velmar or something like that. The stuff was stacked high on top of their parts dept. building. It was several years ago when I was there.

KevinR

Reaction score
Velmar was my first water ski. Got it when I was 10. Looked just like this one but different name.

05D8DEF4-51BB-442A-A928-5739D5CE9FFC.jpeg

LB247XS

Reaction score
That's a great-looking ski I wouldn't mind giving that thing a run being 6 ft 4 in 240 lb at least a 72 in. To get my big ass out of the water. I got a BEMIS 74" wake jumper which is a phenomenal ski and I almost pulled the trigger here recently on a new 360 but I just don't have $2,100 laying around for a blank 360. I have a glass 360 in the garage don't know if I'm going to put any bindings on it or not might just end up selling it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cole Harper

Reaction score
Making a 65" right now for a loaner ski. Not putting a inlay in the loaner skis. Then next one i was thinking 70" maybe you can try that one when i am done and see if you like the ski? I also have a baby due in December so the ski making will be taking a break through the winter. but hopefully get some loaners done for everyone to try while i am occupied with the new lad.

LB247XS

Reaction score
Well let's see one of the skis

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

welldigger00

Reaction score
More pics of the boat please!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk