WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mammoth / June Lake area

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Heading up next Tuesday after work hope to be searching for an off the grid spot by 10am Wednesday morning.
Anyone been up there lately how busy is it? Will I have a problem finding a spot.

I will be in this so driving around and searching will be an issue.

Words of wisdom? Tip tricks?
Am I fucked?
F28D0B4B-1592-42A5-89B0-9DECF81F8AA3.jpeg

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Just have fun pulling the grade out of bishop.

Never off the grid camped, always in a campground around June lake loop. Interested what you find. Seen people camp off behind grant lake, just haven’t been there myself.

Would say busy, as everything currently is.

Meaney77

Reaction score
You should check out Glass Creek, its kind of off the grid and a pretty cool place to camp.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Owen's River Road. Right about the mid way point between Mammoth and June lake. Turn right as your headed north.

Or...

Take the June Lake Loop, and check out the lake on the north end of the loop. You can camp all over around it.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Owen's River Road. Right about the mid way point between Mammoth and June lake. Turn right as your headed north.

Or...

Take the June Lake Loop, and check out the lake on the north end of the loop. You can camp all over around it.
🤫 that’s where I have been google earth hunting for spots.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Just have fun pulling the grade out of bishop.

Never off the grid camped, always in a campground around June lake loop. Interested what you find. Seen people camp off behind grant lake, just haven’t been there myself.

Would say busy, as everything currently is.
I have done that hill plenty of times with my other setups. Done it once with this truck and my small trailer. This trailer is dbl the weight lol. Probably going to be first gear towards the top.

DLC

Reaction score
We camped out there for one Labor Day weekend and rode quads all over every day! It’s nice and quiet and gets really dark under the trees at night. They have picnic tables. We were basically alone and can’t see much at night when we take the dogs out before bed, we had some big ol flashlights and a 45!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have done that hill plenty of times with my other setups. Done it once with this truck and my small trailer. This trailer is dbl the weight lol. Probably going to be first gear towards the top.

Monanche Meadows is also a really cool spot. But, when I had a gas truck, I had to crawl up there in low range with the front hubs unlocked. Totally worth it though.

👍

DLC

Reaction score
I drove my 35 ft motorhome and a 20 ft flat bed

DLC

Reaction score
You can pull in and unhook in the open area (blue circle ) and drive around and find your spot

FC1F612B-D5FB-40BE-A3DA-9D5878408F16.jpeg

CLdrinker

Reaction score
You can pull in and unhook in the open area (blue circle ) and drive around and find your spot

View attachment 1004218
Hmm maybe I confusing 2 different roads I was on up there🤔. This area will be plan B then.

My wife is driving the Jeep up the day after I go up. We will scout out some places for future trips. Normally we stay at mammoth lakes campground.

Reactions: DLC

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
If you are looking for a nice Jeep ride, take Laurel Lakes Rd. off Sherwin Creek Rd. It is just south of Mammoth off Old Mammoth Rd. Some fun switchbacks and two lakes at the top that are pristine!
Laurel Lakes.jpg

DLC

Reaction score
A great afternoon is to head west on Line street in Bishop follow it up into the Mtn until it ends! Nice little lake and rent a boat!

also head up to the Bristol cone forest all the trees grow above 10,000 ft it’s a cool drive and you can drive down the switch backs out by the Law train museum.

Inyo Craters Trail takes you out to a big ol crater created 600 years ago by a series of steam blasts. It’s cool to see!

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
If it is your first time boondocking up in the Mammoth / June Lakes area you can try Glass Creek or Big Springs. They are both dry campgrounds that are easy to get in and out of. They both usually have a Camp Host onsite. After going up there a few times now I prefer to camp off into the forest away from campgrounds and the congestion that goes along with them. Just remember that if your not in a campground area you cannot burn a wood fire, but if you have a propane fire pit you're golden. Enjoy!!! :D

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
Do grant lake you can camp right night next to the water it’s the last lake on the June lake loop tons of riding!! Have fun and post lots of pics

CLdrinker

Reaction score
If it is your first time boondocking up in the Mammoth / June Lakes area you can try Glass Creek or Big Springs. They are both dry campgrounds that are easy to get in and out of. They both usually have a Camp Host onsite. After going up there a few times now I prefer to camp off into the forest away from campgrounds and the congestion that goes along with them. Just remember that if your not in a campground area you cannot burn a wood fire, but if you have a propane fire pit you're golden. Enjoy!!! :D
We need to do an RDP Mammoth trip

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Good time of week to get a spot. That place has blown up in popularity over the last five years.

We’re renting a condo in Aug and doing day trips from Mammoth to avoid the campsite hunting and faster travel times without the TH.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Scored a nice big spot off of Owens River Rd last night.
left Apple Valley at 2:30 rolled in at 7:30.

Trailer was loaded down and fought wind. Truck got 5.7mpg. Thank god I never drive this thing lol
Truck pulled the big grade at 50mph at the bottom towards the top I was backing out because of the sustained RPM of 4500. Got down to 40mph. Had a ton of throttle left.
Just didn’t want to ring it’s neck to get up the hill a minute faster.
D6DF981E-5349-4D51-AFB4-16A42E5595EE.jpeg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Scored a nice big spot off of Owens River Rd last night.
left Apple Valley at 2:30 rolled in at 7:30.

Trailer was loaded down and fought wind. Truck got 5.7mpg. Thank god I never drive this thing lol
Truck pulled the big grade at 50mph at the bottom towards the top I was backing out because of the sustained RPM of 4500. Got down to 40mph. Had a ton of throttle left.
Just didn’t want to ring it’s neck to get up the hill a minute faster.
View attachment 1006511

Nice...

So if your just off the highway, head out a little bit further, and you'll see a dirt road on the north side of the road. Follow it, and it will take you down to a nice spot on the river. It will be a piece of cake on the quads. You'll probably see people fishing right there too.

A little further out is the Big Springs campground. It's a free spot. You can take your truck and go scope that out.

Have fun!

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Nice...

So if your just off the highway, head out a little bit further, and you'll see a dirt road on the north side of the road. Follow it, and it will take you down to a nice spot on the river. It will be a piece of cake on the quads. You'll probably see people fishing right there too.

A little further out is the Big Springs campground. It's a free spot. You can take your truck and go scope that out.

Have fun!

stream is almost dry. I think you are talking about the one that’s east of me another 10 min or so.
Wife is driving up the Jeep later today. We will do some exploring tomorrow.
B3BECC3C-6053-4B5D-8E22-517A07CD3551.png
1BE5D541-8178-402E-96B2-6588356A6856.jpeg
CBD6EDDD-3CC8-436C-B555-BB9A6BEF6756.png

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Oh and while you're up there, go have lunch at the Double Eagle Inn. Yum.

Do you think you'll make it up to Tioga Pass?

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Went on a good Jeep ride in the hills on the east side. Seen a bunch of deer. Went over to the silver lake store and fed the fish.
Stoped at the Tiger bar for lunch. And they refused service because we had no masks to wear to the table. Not 1 person at the Tables had masks on.
Went over to the brewery. Food from the food truck was consumable. Beer was good.
83F413D7-E7D0-41DC-AAC6-08FC83BD4468.jpeg

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
Probably not.
My wife likes the bloodies at Tiger bar. We will probably go tomorrow.
When I was growing up, we always use to stay at Grant and I would always make it a point to get myself a Tiger Bar shirt every year. Once I turned 21, my friends and I would bounce from camp and go play pool there and toss a couple down.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
When I was growing up, we always use to stay at Grant and I would always make it a point to get myself a Tiger Bar shirt every year. Once I turned 21, my friends and I would bounce from camp and go play pool there and toss a couple down.
Well they can suck a dick now. Will never spend a dime there again.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I guess I should of asked where big springs campground is. It wasn’t coming up on my maps. But I googled it and found it.

It's kinda small. Free, first come, first serve.

It's actually not small per say, but the few spots that are there are HUGE. So what happens is, one fisherman and his dome tent will take up a spot big enough for a full size truck and toy hauler. Kinna sucks.

You have to show up mid week to secure a spot there.

It's dry camping though. So doing what bldrinker did, making your own spot to camp in, works just as good. 👍

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Well I think we are leaving tomorrow night to beat traffic. Shitter is 3/4 and water is 1/4. Kids don’t ration anything lol.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
You can dump & fill for free at Mammoth water district off of the 203 & Meridian blvd
I’m down the street at the playground gonna go check it out.

super convenient, right on the edge of town. Dumping will save me over 1000lbs. I carry 150gallon of fresh.

Last edited: