WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Man Up People, stop the panicking

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
It's all the ridiculous panicking and acting like snowflakes that are causing the problems.

Everyone needs to chill the fock out and stop freaking out.

in 2009 almost 60 million contracted the Swine Flu in the US alone, and 12,000 died. Does anyone remember the grocery stores getting emptied out like a damn hurricane hit back then?

I don't remember the media going nutso on that story do you?

Stop and think for a minute. Stop acting like children, and start acting like adults.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I agree Racey, but when our media is hyping the event you kind of have to expect this reaction. A major portion of the issues within our society these days revolves around our media. If they would start putting up statistics and reassuring people that getting the virus does not equal death, more like a flu, then people would stop freaking the fuck out. I don't see that happening for at least another couple weeks when testing results for those that have it show them living instead of just reporting every death.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
58484703-BEB7-4FE2-88D2-03DC5BE21BB0.jpeg

social media changed it. Don’t mistake any of us talking about precautions as panic.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Since the Northridge quake we learned that stores supplies can go south fast.
Since the Rodney King riots we learned the media can stir up shit fast too. CH5 played the "beating" video over and over practically non stop and when people hit the streets they flamed that fire too. Starting with the Reginald Denny beating.

So we always keep a months supply of most items on hand.
Reach in chest freezer in the garage powered by the generator along with the house fridge when they shut off power during the Santa Anas. And standing by for any other emergency.
Plenty of fuel, TP and food for the next month.

PIzza places are still delivering, kids want Arbys so I'm heading there in a few,, McDonalds is still serving,,, life is normal outside of the grocery stores and the news media.

Friend Manages the Oxnard Smart and Final.
He says there are no supply disruptions - it's the hoarders that are causing this and the sun will rise. They are absofuckinlutely slammed.

I dated a mormon girl for a few months once and that was a real eye opener. Dialed in deluxe for just such occasions. A walk in closet stocked and ready for months of disaster.

Respiratory researchers at the wifes hospital feel it's media fueled frenzy. Yeah take precautions, but most everyone is gonna be fine.
Adam Schiff must be hoping it hits harder so it'll top any of his self-created disasters.

Last edited:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
The travel restrictions, school closures, government closures, business closures and Quaratines have nothing to do with people's state of mind and their reactions?
To many that was the call that armageddon is imminent.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Respiratory researchers at the wifes hospital feel it's media fueled frenzy. Yeah take precautions, but most everyone is gonna be fine.
Adam Schiff must be hoping it hits harder so it'll top any of his self created disasters.
Every person in the medical world I've talked to in the past few weeks expressed how overblown all the hype is...and as you said they all simply suggest to use common sense(which seems to be missing out there) and precautions.

2Driver

Reaction score
News always interviews an “expert” and asks the person to play out the ultimate worse case scenerio.

LOL it was a 3.0 earthquake, but tell us what it would be like if the aftershock is 9.5. Would there be any buildings standing what about water or fuel, would there be enough firefighters if everything erupted in blaze. Could this lead to complete collapse of society?

Oh yeah, everyone is “bracing” they love that word

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
China didn’t weld people into buildings in 2012 either. Trying to pretend this is just the flu is dumb

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
In Italy and Iran it circulated undetected. In the USA it's been grabbed by the nutsac early. China jailing doctors and suppressing this just primed the pump.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well the new thing is the hospitals are taking people in and if they match the symptoms they quarantine them but won’t test them for it.. lol.

They don’t want to report the cases and cause panic in the communities.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
A lot of this is" shit I've got three kids home from school now, I need to provide 15 to 20 new meals a week". Or at least I would hope some of it is.
The markets aren't helping. They're pushing their perishables, Meats etc.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Well the new thing is the hospitals are taking people in and if they match the symptoms they quarantine them but won’t test them for it.. lol.

According to who RD? the fake news.....

The testing kits don't just make themselves in numbers of hundreds of thousands, and when they are scarce early on you dont waste them on people that aren't showing symptoms.

People need to chill out.

And yeah, as for not wanting to cause panic, it's obvious that's a necessary issue, because all these focking idiots running to grocery stores like it's the end of the world are doing more damage than the actual virus.

2Driver

Reaction score
Ohare is crowded with people trying to get out, probably back to the UK and Ireland. Some lady government official being interviewed said it was all due to Trump's administrations lack of addressing the issue. She looked like the typical Chicago goveernment hack

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

Wait until they run out of beds and they just turn them away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
My wife was at the doctor the other day. Asked how he was holding up with it.
He said some guy came in for a flu shot. Then when he saw the doctor he said he didn't need it, he already had one, but told the doctor he wanted to be tested for the virus. Doctor told him to get the f*** out, and he called security.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Racey I didn’t stock up on shit. RD did and I told him he’s part of the problem. Yet he believes he was justified and prudent to stock up.

Anyhow, the death rate for the 61 million is less than .o2 percent. That’s way off percentage wise.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Racey

I 2nd "YOUR" motion!!!!

BAN IDIOTS!!!... LOL

Completely CONCUR!!!!

oohhh you did not propose banning IDIOTS!!!! (Sheep)

People have LOST THEIR F.ING MINDS!!!

as I sitting next to my Daughter In Law (at a Restaurant in HB for lunch) who is an RN... and agreeing with your statement.....

COMMON SENSE is being attacked in 2020...

GET SOME

Reaction score

100% wrong... maybe In havasu

530RL

Reaction score
Death rate for seasonal influenza is about .1%.

Death rate for the Swine flu that Racey is referring to was .02%, five times less than seasonal influenza.

Death rate for Covid 19 is around 3% and about 10% at the current time in Italy.

Until such time as America catches up with the rest of the world in testing capacity so we have a better scientific and fact based understanding of the mortality, treatment and containment of this virus, there is no need to panic, but it seems reasonable to take appropriate caution.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Racey I didn’t stock up on shit. RD did and I told him he’s part of the problem. Yet he believes he was justified and prudent to stock up.

Anyhow, the death rate for the 61 million is less than .o2 percent. That’s way off percentage wise.

We ordered our tp online Paul. We normally order a 24 pack at a time because we have three kids in the house etc. we just ordered an extra pack.

we usually have a pretty decent supply of food here. Stacy just topped off the pantry and she says we have enough for three weeks.

If I went to the storeId clear out the soup isle.. lol. But I like soup. :D
That said you better not come knocking on my door.. you gonna starve!

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The travel restrictions, school closures, government closures, business closures and Quaratines have nothing to do with people's state of mind and their reactions?

We should be cautious.

But buying literal carloads of toilet paper defies all logical response to what we’re facing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Outdrive1

Reaction score
We ordered our tp online Paul. We normally order a 24 pack at a time because we have three kids in the house etc. we just ordered an extra pack.

we usually have a pretty decent supply of food here. Stacy just topped off the pantry and she says we have enough for three weeks.

If I went to the storeId clear out the soup isle.. lol. But I like soup. :D

lol. I’m fucking with you Dave. You’ve got three kids to feed also.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Way more people have already had this and gotten over it than are being reported. And probably a few more have died from it as well.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Having lived in SoCal for half a century I'm usually pretty good for this stuff. But it's been in the back of my mind I'm lacking lately.
My fuel stores are down, gas and propane. A reminder I need to get that back up.
Went shopping on Thursday for a normal day. But I bulked up on things with labels, Knorr, Velveeta, Hormel, that I would normally have bulk of, but let get down.
A good drill for real life situations in SoCal.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

12,000 deaths though.... We are still under 100....

I'm just saying people need to fucking relax.

The virus is here, guess what, if it's gonna spread there aint shit you can do about it now, unless you are gonna go escape to the isolated countryside. But you're gonna have to come back to society sooner or later.

If everyone wasn't freaking out you'd be able to go down to the safeway and get TP or bottled water...

People are causing way more of the problems here, that's the main point.

Ordering a pack or two of TP online isn't the problem, people going to the store and wiping out the shelves is.

All these morons that all of a sudden are cleaning the joint out of products they have never bought in their lives, bulk beans and rice, whatever, stuff that hardly ever moves in suburbia, stuff they probably have never even cooked before... All of it will end up going to waste when everything calms down. It's like that kid's game hungry hungry hippos.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Way more people have already had this and gotten over it than are being reported. And probably a few more have died from it as well.

Not sure how that relates to my post. Are you saying you think the coronavirus rates are closer to .02 percent because of lack of testing? If so I’m going to say that all the people that get the flu aren’t counted or tested either. Since the unit of measure is the only constant, I’d say that current forecasts are closer to being accurate than they are not accurate.

Outdrive1

Reaction score

The virus is here, guess what, if it's gonna spread there aint shit you can do about it now, unless you are gonna go escape to the isolated countryside. But you're gonna have to come back to society sooner or later.

If everyone wasn't freaking out you'd be able to go down to the safeway and get TP or bottled water...

Ordering a pack or two of TP online isn't the problem, people going to the store and wiping out the shelves is.

All these morons that all of a sudden are cleaning the joint out of products they have never bought in their lives, bulk beans and rice, whatever, stuff that hardly ever moves in suburbia, stuff they probably have never even cooked before... All of it will end up going to waste when everything calms down. It's like that kid's game hungry hungry hippos.

The fucking stores should limit the purchase per visit. Obviously people can’t be trusted to self regulate.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
The fucking stores should limit the purchase per visit. Obviously people can’t be trusted to self regulate.

After shit gets wiped out in one day, that's kinda hindsight.... Most stores are now.

They don't expect to have 100% turnover of those products every 12 hours. Supply chains don't catch up in minutes, it takes a few days locally, and a few weeks when you are talking about a nationwide issue like this.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score

my wife's experience has been the stores are encouraging you to take all you can. They will be closing next week and don't want the loss of perishables

Outdrive1

Reaction score
I’m in total agreement. And I didn’t get caught in the stock up panic. If I have an issue I’ll be staying at RD’s house.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
my wife's experience has been the stores are encouraging you to take all you can. They will be closing next week and don't want the loss of perishables

Great

Demoman

Reaction score
Why toilet paper?

If they told us that there might be a quarantine coming then people would have freaked out and rushed the stores all at once
causing a panic for food much larger than what we have seen

By telling us a week ago that we might run out of TP they were able to control the pace of people stocking up on supplies. The TP was the perfect reason to get people to go to the store and stock up on food and other essentials. People went for TP and naturally stocked up on other items they needed. The fear of running out of a non essential item like TP caused some panic but nothing like it would have been if they told us that a quarantine might be a possibility. The masses laughed at the TP scare on one hand but unknowingly stocked up on food and other essential items without even realizing they were doing it

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Not sure how that relates to my post. Are you saying you think the coronavirus rates are closer to .02 percent because of lack of testing? If so I’m going to say that all the people that get the flu aren’t counted or tested either. Since the unit of measure is the only constant, I’d say that current forecasts are closer to being accurate than they are not accurate.

I would say all of them are inaccurate. If you had this a month or two ago, you weren’t counted.
Without tests there is no data. I understand the flu is more common, but we are not “testing” for that either.

Who calls their doctor every time they get sick and say “chalk up another one for the flu doc!” No one does. The only people that got counted for the flu are the ones that die or go to the doctor (that is debatable) or hospital.

All this shit is based on projections and computer modeling with questionable input data to start with. That is why you have the media saying “Tens of millions COULD die!!!!”

If we as a country can’t count how many illegal immigrants are in the country, we can’t accurately count how many people are sick either.

Does this have to potential to be deadlier than the flu? Yes it seems that way, especially for people with respiratory conditions but it is not even close to a death sentence.

I’ve only heard 1 or 2 interviews from people that have had it and recovered. Notice none are on TV There is a reason for that... to keep the panic in full swing.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

I went to the store to get a couple things to make buffalo chicken dip 2 hours ago and everyone working at the store there thinks the panic shoppers are complete idiots.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We keep a dozen of these in the bottom of the freezer. They keep forever but we rotate stock.

RV has several weeks supplies in it too. Especially Scotts RV TP.

KNX radio trying to scare everyone that the power may go out for lack of operating personnel.

MSum661

Reaction score

People might be thinking to load up large to help reduce the amount of trips to the store.
We've been doing that regardless.

Justfishing

Reaction score

Death rate for the Swine flu that Racey is referring to was .02%, five times less than seasonal influenza.

Death rate for Covid 19 is around 3% and about 10% at the current time in Italy.

Until such time as America catches up with the rest of the world in testing capacity so we have a better scientific and fact based understanding of the mortality, treatment and containment of this virus, there is no need to panic, but it seems reasonable to take appropriate caution.
To clarify italy has a very elderly population , the oldest in europe .

It may be best for certain populations to self quarantine. Better hygine practices for all. More testing and staying home for anyone that may have the flu.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I went to the store to get a couple things to make buffalo chicken dip 2 hours ago and everyone working at the store there thinks the panic shoppers are complete idiots.
Friend of mine was in the market yesterday in Santa Clarita. Guy in line in front of her went to the deli and was standing in line eating chicken wings, Pringles, and drinking a Gatorade.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

When in SoCal yesterday, heard there were people waiting in line at gun stores...
Some are trying to buy guns for the first time. They have the 10 day wait they voted for :p
One guy interviewed said he never thought he'd need a gun, but now wants to protect his family. Fucktard didn't want to protect them before? Maybe they have a massive stockpile of TP?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
To clarify italy has a very elderly population , the oldest in europe .

It may be best for certain populations to self quarantine. Better hygine practices for all. More testing and staying home for anyone that may have the flu.

Italy has the oldest population in the world.. followed by China.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score

Right now in the US, the number is 1.9%. I cannot tell what is going on in Italy. That's an outlier. Look at South Korea. It's under 1%. It's also important to take that in China pollution is bad and you have a lot more smokers. So the largest sample size may be skewed as well.

This 1.9% is based on our alleged poor testing. Thus, the infected number should be higher because some people are asymptomatic and others think they just got a mild cold. On the other hand, we would also assume every death by COVID-19 is caught due to the spotlight it has right now.

I think when this is all said and done, the rate will be under 1%. Just think, if testing went nationwide real quick and there were 10,000 cases instead of 3,250 confirmed now, the rate would be .63% vs. 1.9%. The confirmed cases will always be under reported and the media will be for sure to catch the deaths.