WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Marine grade Binoculars ?

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Input requested ?
My son's future FIL just bought a Toon in Fla.
Keeping in his good graces, he want to get him a nice gift.....
Anybody carry a set better than your average foumd at any Cabelas?
Short of military grade night vision.
Hes looking for higher quality.

I told him he better "pony up" its a long road to let him use his boat,taking out the guys beautiful daughter, in a bikini, .....ALONE
🤭

Last edited:

BajaMike

Reaction score
West Marine? They have lots.

4C4CC30F-C8C1-4197-9FB0-F7BDDAE3BAE9.jpeg

lenmann

Reaction score
The key to good binoculars is the same as camera lenses and scopes: good glass and good optics. The better the chemical composition of the glass in the lenses the more light they will pass making the image seen clearer, sharper and more accurate. The same applies to how the glass is ground, or the optics. Even crappy glass will magnify images in full daylight. The real benefit of good glass is in marginal light conditions; dawn, dusk, and nighttime.

I have had great results with Steiner binoculars and they have a marine line with good water resistant features.

Dettom

Reaction score
Don’t really need “marine grade”unless you’re looking for submarines. Most of the stuff on the market now, available for a decent price, Nikon, Vortex, Leupold would definitely do the job and wouldn’t set you back as much. You could easily spend 2,300 on a set of binos. They’re all water proof or water resistant now. I have a pair of Vortex 10X42 that cost about 250.00 and are more than adequate. I just bought a pair of Maven 10X50 for about 400.00 I use all mine for deer and elk hunting. I love them. I would concentrate more on objective lens size than magnification. The bigger the lens, the more light transmission. If you get into the 12X50’s they become too hard to use without a tripod.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Most decent pairs are waterproof and that really is going to be your "marine grade", the other potential part would be corrosion resistance. Again, any decent brand should be fine. One of the best I have seen lately was the HD Cabela's, My dad and I looked though probably 40 different models of many brands and they were on par with the top euro brands higher end models and were in hundreds still, not thousands range.
As stated above the difference shows up in lower light and in true clarity. Make no mistake, the difference is real and significant. Dollars spent can make a huge difference.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
We used Steiner . Never had an issue , even though they would get soaked with salt water constantly.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Optics planet is one of the very best places to buy any optic. From rifle scopes to lasers and binos. Excellent prices, fast delivery and great customer service if there were any issues.

Taboma

Reaction score
Agree with a few other posters, we used Steiners for offshore fishing, held up amazing. But for little less severe duty, my all time favorites are my Canon IS, the image stabilization is amazing for detail work.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I love binnocks and rifle scopes and telescopes.

The basic rule of thumb is you can not spend too much money on them.
You get what you pay for.

Second rule of thumb:
If Hunter Ellis is promoting them - for fucks sakes don't buy them. Or anything else he talks up.

4Waters

Reaction score
Input requested ?
My son's future FIL just bought a Toon in Fla.
Keeping in his good graces, he want to get him a nice gift.....
Anybody carry a set better than your average foumd at any Cabelas?
Short of military grade night vision.
Hes looking for higher quality.

I told him he better "pony up" its a long road to let him use his boat,taking out the guys beautiful daughter, in a bikini, .....ALONE
🤭
Like how beautiful in a bikini, pics might help us on the recommendation of bino"s🤣🤣

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
As mentioned above, if they are going to be used on the water, DEFINITELY LQQK into some stabilized binoculars. They take batteries, to operate the gyroscope/ stabilizer, but it makes a WORLD of difference. You don't need the super gucci 'Fraser-Volpe' level gyros . . . I have friends with 'Fujinon' brand they use for marlin fishing, and glassing for bluefin tuna, and they work EXCELLENT, and are reasonably priced. I have a pair of standard non-stabilized Zeiss that were twice the amount of the Fuji's and they are basically useless on the water unless it's COMPLETE GLASS.

DLC

Reaction score
You need to go look at some to see what you like, a bass pro or a cabalas, west marine is a good place to start, the feel and weight are big players
i think a good 10-50 is a good all around binoculars

wife has a 7x35 Leupold we keep on the boat in havasu, they work great! But we aren’t looking out access a watery horizon

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I once tried out the stabilized Fujinons used by ATF in the Caribbean. Un f’n believable. Extremely expensive and required a 12v power cord. They were beyond outstanding, but clumsy and not practical for our needs.

spectras only

Reaction score
I have a Leupold, buddy has a Vortex. Can't tell the difference in quality of the optics, unless you have a collimator to check them. Regardless, Steiner, Leupold, Vortex are all good choices, unless you want to spent $$$ on a Zeiss.
As mentioned above, image stabilization is great but, 7X50 power you won't needed. 7X50 is really the most common for marine use.