WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Marinizing Aluminum heads

farmo83

Reaction score
I'm getting my HP 500 rebuilt and am going with aluminum Brodix heads. Is there some kind of coating I need to get for these? I've read about "marinizing" aluminum heads to help with corrosion. I only boat in fresh water if that matters.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
A wing and a prayer, sir.

Oh yea, run a closed cooling system. :)

I'm getting my HP 500 rebuilt and am going with aluminum Brodix heads. Is there some kind of coating I need to get for these? I've read about "marinizing" aluminum heads to help with corrosion. I only boat in fresh water if that matters.

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
Dart does a hard anodize coating in the water jackets on the marine heads. Find a quality anodizer and see if they can do it. Maybe try talking to Brodix and see if they offer it. We are a Brodix distributor, but I've never seen that as an option

farmo83

Reaction score
Dart does a hard anodize coating in the water jackets on the marine heads. Find a quality anodizer and see if they can do it. Maybe try talking to Brodix and see if they offer it. We are a Brodix distributor, but I've never seen that as an option

Is it really needed? I'm guessing not if your using Brodix and your motors are known to be dang near bulletproof.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
In my opinion, and I do a lot of anodizing......is isn't going to do a motherfuckin thing. Anodizing cast materials is a crapshoot anyway, too many nooks and crannies. Especially when other machine operations...its a waste of money. All it will take is one scratch, one fucktard to stick something sharp in the water jacket, and all that prep goes to waste. Then they are subjected to heat.

Dissimilar metals will be enough of an issue with a marine engine.

Just what you deal with to have a water hotrod.

Brian

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Brodix does offer hard anodizing "for salt water use". http://brodix.com/aluminum-cylinder-head-options

In all my years of doing this stuff, some of the worst corrosion problems I have seen have been in Brodix heads, around the water ports at the head gasket. In many cases they can be welded and surfaced so they still can be used. Please note, I am not saying Brodix heads are not good.

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
In my opinion, and I do a lot of anodizing......is isn't going to do a motherfuckin thing. Anodizing cast materials is a crapshoot anyway, too many nooks and crannies. Especially when other machine operations...its a waste of money. All it will take is one scratch, one fucktard to stick something sharp in the water jacket, and all that prep goes to waste. Then they are subjected to heat.

Dissimilar metals will be enough of an issue with a marine engine.

Just what you deal with to have a water hotrod.

Brian
Actually it does help. We see a lot less corrosion at the areas Barry just described (mating areas at gaskets)

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Im really surprised. Long term I would have figured the anodizing would degrade to the point it would be ineffective.

Actually it does help. We see a lot less corrosion at the areas Barry just described (mating areas at gaskets)

BUSTI

Reaction score
AFR offers it. For sure. Teague uses anodized heads on a lot of their engines. My next set of heads will have it done.

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score

Texasjet hit the nail on zee head; block drains flat get it done not only for the heads but just 'bout everything else that will alkali up (manifolds, intercoolers, lines etc). Been doing it for years with very positive results. Hint- Use SS line extensions from the block, bushing up the OEM NPT block fittings to a -8 if space permits, will make draining a ton easier. Also be sure to crack a line open above the heads when draining.
Hope it helps

Deangang

v-drive row member
Reaction score
8843BBE5-63CF-4202-BF84-6D367FD34D0D.jpeg
43159B45-7E91-4895-8B38-D5C9A9ED2B9C.jpeg
032B5513-8B6C-467B-BEF5-EBBE83FBB7BC.jpeg
I went with the AFR’s Tony is the man over there ! They do flawless work.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
I’m 9 years into my dart pro 1’s on 2 different engines. Last year Teague went through them and put them on my new Teague quadrotor. They look fine, and Mr.Teague did not say a word about corrosion.

I boat in havasu most every weekend. I rinse the motor out about 4 times a year.

Just my 2 cents.