WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mars Rover landing today

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Watched something on this last night. Was a bit of a history of the rovers on Mars with a heavy focus of the new one. interesting point on this, this one is nuclear. This makes sense as the others were solar and were very hit and miss with winter and dust storms. That said they were amazing pieces of hardware that were only expected to survive something like 90 days. They lived for over a decade......

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
My MUCH better half works @ JPL. I get to sit around and drink beers with several of the people involved with the Mars2020 mission... none of them slept last night.

Here are a few pics of Perseverance being assembled. Nothing secretive, all were taken from the semi public observation windows.

Here they are installing the wheels
received_1305785779598335.jpeg

And a picture of the sky crane (towards the right side of image)
received_988381761513104.jpeg

Fingers crossed, and I will be watching!

caribbean20

Reaction score
My MUCH better half works @ JPL. I get to sit around and drink beers with several of the people involved with the Mars2020 mission... none of them slept last night.

Here are a few pics of Perseverance being assembled. Nothing secretive, all were taken from the semi public observation windows.

Here they are installing the wheels View attachment 974023

And a picture of the sky crane (towards the right side of image) View attachment 974024

I figured someone on this forum would have a connection to JPL. Congrats, sounds like you married up, like a lot of us.:)

Halvecto

Reaction score
It blows my mind that a spacecraft can travel seven months to get to a far-away planet and will be under controlled observation and then have smaller crafts and machines controlled by a station here on earth after it lands. Amazing. I have to believe the competition of private outfits like Space-X and Blue Origin are good for space travel and research. Although NASA has always relied on private companies like JPL, the accountability and challenge is now real.

I can't seem to seem to keep from dropping cell phone calls on the 405 & 210 and yet we can sit here and watch a live video of a lunar landing nearly 40 million miles away. Go USA!!

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
The rover is supposed to record sound and launch a helicopter. A first for another planet

HCP3

Reaction score
Are they going to land the thing, or just talk about it?!

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I'm watching live now. I minute to atmospheric entry.

Sent From Tapatalk

Kbach

Reaction score
So amazing. Pics from the landing site already too..from 127 million miles away. Unbelievable!!

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
I’ve seen the moon landing and just witnessed the greatest thing I’ve seen
And I’ve been to two launch’s at the cape
Went last summer and wholly shit between space x and orical large construction
Very a Proud to be an American today
Biden the Douche Bag will claim he had everything to do with this
We All Know that’s FUp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score

And a picture of the sky crane (towards the right side of image) View attachment 974024

A friend of mine works there and I have serious job envy, she seems to have joined right after college and progressed in career and further education with their support. It is truly amazing what is possible with science and engineering.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

That clean room is so bad ass. I used to be up at JPL 2X to 4X month at my old job, That is one customer I do miss.

Javajoe

Reaction score
Only takes 11 minutes to communicate with it. Pretty crazy

Taboma

Reaction score
I think watching that broadcast live was thrilling, truly an emotional moment I've been needing. 😍
Wasn't just what they were able to accomplish, but they fucking did wearing not one, but most, two masks . 😷 :oops: 👏 👍

Let's all give a big hearty NASA fist bump, 🤜🤛 Masks are indeed Rocket Science 🚀 😁 ;)

2Driver

Reaction score
Real question, $2,500,000,000 whats the value prop?

Please don't give me the subjective answer, whats the quantifiable benefit?

Reactions: DWC

Javajoe

Reaction score
Pretty cool and I love it but a huge waste of money IMHO

Reactions: DWC

Water Romper

Reaction score
The technology is just over the top. Absolutely amazing. Apparently, among a ton of other agendas , a few of the key things NASA wants to look at is LIFE on Mars and if we can put a human there. Wow, the Moon landing was amazing enough but Mars?? I was listening to an interview from someone on the "team" and apparently they (NASA folks) are wondering what kind of life they may find...pretty friggin awesome.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
How much of the budget do you folks feel NASA get? 2%? 1%?

It is under 0.5% of the US budget, and a hell of a lot of that goes to Earth based studies (map everything, so they can tell how much things moved in an earthquake. Measure ocean salinity and temp to help predict weather. Things of that nature). Not sure there should be a cap on useful science.

Mars2020 is a scientific mission. They are searching for evidence of life somewhere other than earth... which will be an EPIC find. If life can exist elsewhere, then Earth isn't the only place with life... and the BILLIONS of stars out there will most likely support some life. That theory being proven is HUGE!

Beyond that, Perseverance is the first rover designed to start sample returns to earth. It is packaging things to return with another mission. If we find some uber rare mineral, this could be the groundwork for mining elsewhere in the solar system.

Lastly, it shows US dominance. Yes China can get a small lander there... but our is WAY bigger and cooler.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
This will enhance A.I. developement 10 fold.!
The Autonomous technology will be going.crazy !

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Real question, $2,500,000,000 whats the value prop?

Please don't give me the subjective answer, whats the quantifiable benefit?
To save humanity.
Find out if humans can live there. We need a place to run to when we fuck up our own planet. 🤨

2Driver

Reaction score
Cool,
Id do it a lot simpler and send 1 billion specially selected earthlings there and if they survived then Id look into it further.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Gotta love the epic nerd flex... the last rover had JPL in Morse code on the wheels... this one had this
FB_IMG_1614264166036.jpg

Dare mighty things is a JPL moto, and the coordinates around the outside are JPL's location.